PDA

View Full Version : The exhibition was a setup (spoiler)

MasterTS
05-02-2007, 05:37 PM
Well for those who saw the match, Rafa would obviously have closed this in straight sets. He let roger win the 2nd, and tried to keep the 3rd as close as possible for the "drama"... Then he closed out fed before it was too late.

I think this is very low of federer to demand he get a close match or else he wouldn't participate in the event..

Comments?

Zets147
05-02-2007, 05:42 PM
no comment

DoubleHanded&LovinIt
05-02-2007, 05:59 PM
Didn't see the match, but I'm sure it was competitive. Didn't have to read your post to know it would be off-the-wall. I'm glad you've found a way to consistently amuse yourself.

Chadwixx
05-02-2007, 06:15 PM
What makes you think any exhibition isnt fixed? Im sure if the match were played in feds home town he would have pulled it out. People seem to think this was a real match for some reason.

Im sure the fans would have rather seen a 6-0 6-0 40 min match, they got what they paid for. It has nothing todo with fed demanding anything, its about the fans.

fastdunn
05-02-2007, 06:35 PM
I think 3rd set was definitely a fix.

They exchanged points in very orderly manner extending the tiebreaker
score til 10-11 or something until Nadal made an accidental return winner off bad
bouces.

dowjones
05-02-2007, 06:49 PM
I always felt that all the majors were fixed too. Every year a French guy wins the French, Australian the Australian, Brit guy the Wimby and finally an American always wins the Us Open. NOT!

I have never let someone beat me in any sport for any reason. Why would Federer or Nadal do that? I bet they need the money!

kaiotic
05-02-2007, 06:55 PM
never seen any pro struggle so much to get to the ball on this grass half.
i gather that grass court is pure *****. at times, it was as if watching myself on vid reaching for the balls in such an ugly manner.

Nadal owns Fed..
Period.

Nadal is a beast.. an animal.. no two ways about it.

I only saw most of the 3rd set, and Fed was content in staying behind the baseline trading blows with Rafa. I have to say, Fed's ability to adapt (when facing Nadal) is utterly atrocious. he approached the net maybe less than 15times in the third??

btw, Nadal's got a nice net touch.. so much better than Roddick.

just wait till Nadal improves on his serve.

Mad iX
05-02-2007, 07:25 PM
I don't tend to take exhibition matches too seriously, whether Nadal and Fed did is debatable. What I'm sure of is that it was entertaining to watch and the crowd got their money's worth.

kaiotic
05-02-2007, 07:36 PM
I don't tend to take exhibition matches too seriously, whether Nadal and Fed did is debatable. What I'm sure of is that it was entertaining to watch and the crowd got their money's worth.

agreed. .........

roysid
05-02-2007, 09:53 PM
Exhibition matches are setup to some extent. They should be competitive i.e it should go to 3 sets and look like a close match.

This is for the benefit of fans :)

Last year in Seoul, Fed and Nadal played a exhibition match. Again 3 sets.

psamp14
05-02-2007, 10:06 PM
i dont think it was a setup, MasterTS is obviously a little towards nadal...but it was an exhibition after all and if you saw some of federer's backhand returns, and just overall play in some of the video clips.....well you'd see how seriously he took it

rafa also goofed around a little,...i recall he purposely double faulted to end his service game..to the laughter of the crowd

overall it was a nice match to watch..good fun :)

anirut
05-02-2007, 10:08 PM
Seriously,

What do we have to care if this was a setup or not? Do the pros or the organizer give us a part of the money, or lack thereof?

On second note, supposingly if Fed was really capable of beating Rafa, would you like to see "a friend" beaten in his home town? That would be very unsporting.

And if you bought a seat to see two heroes play, would you like to see a 40-min match for all that money? Even though I spent a small amount for a seat in last year's Thailand Open, I don't think I got my money's worth. (Forgot the score, but one set was 6-0)

I should say both the players were true sportsmen. I think that's the point of the show.

psamp14
05-02-2007, 10:15 PM
Seriously,

What do we have to care if this was a setup or not? Do the pros or the organizer give us a part of the money, or lack thereof?

On second note, supposingly if Fed was really capable of beating Rafa, would you like to see "a friend" beaten in his home town? That would be very unsporting.

And if you bought a seat to see two heroes play, would you like to see a 40-min match for all that money? Even though I spent a small amount for a seat in last year's Thailand Open, I don't think I got my money's worth. (Forgot the score, but one set was 6-0)

I should say both the players were true sportsmen. I think that's the point of the show.

anirut, you make very valid points,...if this were the french open final and federer were down in the 3rd set after splitting the first two, he would appear much more serious...he would be all business from the start

but that was the point of this match...it was an exhibition...a fun match...

rafan
05-02-2007, 10:30 PM
It obviously sounded a lot of fun and I don't think it should be taken seriously. Regarding the grass side - at Wimbldon the courts take months to prepare and are really honed up by the time of the opening match - don't know what they did for this "grass" side but it all sounded very odd - since the balls were bouncing all over the place.

BluDiamond
05-02-2007, 10:36 PM
has anyone got the video of it???

nBladed
05-02-2007, 10:49 PM
Like Rios' final match vs. Coria in Santiago wasn't a fix? Coria was top 5 and lost to a guy who had not played in a awhile.

Or what about Agassi losing to Rios in Chile recently in another exo?

This battle of surfaces wasn't real.

tennisjunkiela
05-02-2007, 11:10 PM
Regarding the grass side - at Wimbledon, the courts take months to prepare and are really honed up by the time of the opening match - don't know what they did for this "grass" side but it all sounded very odd - since the balls were bouncing all over the place.

if fed can't beat rafa fair and square, nothing like 1) the "conspiracy (those spaniards doctored the grass surface) theory" or 2) the "this wasn't a serious match" theory, to explain away yet another loss to nadal.

this match reminds me of the time i saw sharapova vs. venus in their exhibition match. even though it was an exhibition, being the fierce competitors they both are (like fed and nadal), venus and sharapova were both playing to win. and although was an exhibition, fed and nadal were playing some top level tennis and trying to kick other guy's butt.

lordmanji
05-03-2007, 08:41 AM
just read jmac's book if you have any doubts that exhibitions are fixed to the extent that they want to make it entertaining/competitive/long for the fans so yeah, if sets need to be dropped like nadal let fed have in the 2nd, then theyll do it. but imo, the first and last set are probably the true indicators of who was the better player.

latinking
05-03-2007, 08:42 AM
It was just a exhibition. Remember Roddick beating Fed early this year, and what happened when they played a real match, Fed handed Roddick an beat down. It means nothing. It was just for the fans. Nadal was at home. More important for him than Fed.

Netbudda
05-03-2007, 09:19 AM
It didn't mean JACK...It was a circus environment with a circus result so everybody went home Happy...the public had a good time and the players went home with full pockets...the only people duped are the morons making tennis analysis based on this fallacy.

vkartikv
05-03-2007, 09:20 AM
Why do you have to 'fix' an exhibition match? Are any bookies betting on it?

caulcano
05-03-2007, 09:46 AM
Well for those who saw the match, Rafa would obviously have closed this in straight sets. He let roger win the 2nd, and tried to keep the 3rd as close as possible for the "drama"... Then he closed out fed before it was too late.

I think this is very low of federer to demand he get a close match or else he wouldn't participate in the event..

Comments?

Was it low for Nadal to 'let' it go 3 sets?

IT'S AN EXHIBITION! The winner is the crowd not one of the players.

GRANITECHIEF
05-03-2007, 09:47 AM
has anyone got the video of it???

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-3OVQs1_lgY

YonexDude
05-03-2007, 09:50 AM

Comments?

thats why they call it an "exhibition." the players "exhibit" their skills for the enjoyment of the crowd. give it a rest

JRstriker12
05-03-2007, 09:53 AM

Comments?

Do you have proof that Fed demanded anything besides a paycheck?

You are taking this match way to seriously. It was played on a half-grass/half-clay court. This was simply a crowd pleaser, the result doesn't matter.

onkystomper
05-03-2007, 09:58 AM
I would love to know the avergae age or IQ of people who consistently post the meaningless i hate fed , i hate nadal rubbish on this board. They are both class players and HELLO it was an EXHIBITION match

grizzly4life
05-03-2007, 10:22 AM
It didn't mean JACK...It was a circus environment with a circus result so everybody went home Happy...the public had a good time and the players went home with full pockets...the only people duped are the morons making tennis analysis based on this fallacy.

very well said and true!! and why don't fed haters append the record for his seoul win if you're going to include this one.

exhibitions are absolutely meaningless:)

a guy
05-03-2007, 11:35 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-3OVQs1_lgY

Fed's return at 8 minutes.. wow

Baghdatis72
05-03-2007, 11:39 AM

Comments?

Actually both of them pretended to miss balls that were way too easy for them and especially net points for Federer and baseline points for Nadal.

Now I understand why most people hate narrow minded Nadal fans :lol:

Brettolius
05-03-2007, 01:38 PM
Well I sure as hell didn't see Roger Federer wearing a watch during any of his matches in Monte Carlo a few weeks ago.