PDA

View Full Version : A Question on Headsizes

Amone
05-02-2007, 04:49 PM
I'm curious what everyone here thinks on this question:

If there were a frame with all the stability advantages of a Mid frame, except with a (for instance) 105 or 110 headsize, would you consider it worth trying?

I know that there are a lot of people out there who don't like the concept of small-headed frames, for their sweetspot size, and I'm curious if it's merely the stability that prevents people from using larger headsizes.

ibringtheHEAT
05-02-2007, 05:01 PM
I would give it a try, but most people I know that hit with heavier smaller headed racquets just play horrible with OS's

Voltron
05-02-2007, 05:06 PM
Like the POG OS? I play with midsize frames because they are stable, and have enough control and touch to benefit my game. It's just the stability that keeps me with a mid.

103xStateChamp
05-02-2007, 05:09 PM
I like to Roll on my 100's

Bottle Rocket
05-02-2007, 05:10 PM
I don't like oversize frames simply because of their size. I don't care about its weight, balance, stability, or any of that stuff. I just don't want a big old frame. I wish there were smaller frames that played like my 98 inch frame.

When you hold something like a PS .85 in your hand, it feels incredible. If someone could make a 90 inch frame play exactly like my PC, I'd pay lot's of money for it.

I don't think stability is the biggest issue for people not using OS frames.

Amone
05-02-2007, 05:58 PM
Like the POG OS? I play with midsize frames because they are stable, and have enough control and touch to benefit my game. It's just the stability that keeps me with a mid.

Yeah, exactly like the POG OS.

Bottle Rocket
05-02-2007, 06:13 PM
I've got a POG OS and love the way it plays, I just simply don't like the size.

I don't mind having a little more inherent power though, either...

BreakPoint
05-02-2007, 06:25 PM
Something physically bigger is just naturally more obstructive than something physically smaller. There's no way around that. Bigger just takes up more air volume. That's why many people prefer smaller headed racquets with thinner beams.

Wilson6-1
05-02-2007, 08:44 PM
I have never liked playing with an OS racquet, weight or stiffness isn't the issue, it is purely the headsize. I play with a 95 but can play comfortably up to 100. Anything over 100 is too big for me.

p0w3r
05-02-2007, 08:51 PM
I dont know...OS racquets just feel bulky to me. I seem to play better with MP/Mid racquets. Its probably a phychological thing.

armand
05-02-2007, 09:27 PM
Stability has mainly to do with weight. Headsize is also a factor but a smaller headsize is actually less stable than a larger headsize. However, Mids do tend to be more stable than larger sizes but because they are heavier.

It would be easy to have an OS stable frame. My problem with larger headed racquets is they are too powerful for my game.

ps60
05-02-2007, 10:09 PM
if u doubt, find an Agassi Radical OS (the yellow one) and see how u like it. String it high with a thick string. If Andre can handle the power, so can U u u uuu uu u N u :D

I've a modern Prince 105", but it is very light, i dump all my asset (lead) in, but the wt. distribution isn't right. Never feel right. However, when strung tighter, it gives a very sweet feel and easy playing. Just broke the string too soon.

AndrewD
05-02-2007, 11:17 PM
I don't particularly like racquets in-between 90 and 100sq but I'm happy with anything over or under those two sizes.

Duzza
05-03-2007, 04:33 AM
I dont know...OS racquets just feel bulky to me. I seem to play better with MP/Mid racquets. Its probably a phychological thing.

I am the same. I can't stand playing more than 98, because it just feels un natural, the headsize being so large.

nickb
05-03-2007, 05:46 AM
Im the same: Ive liked the way some 98+ racquets play but couldnt get past the bigger headsize in my hand or the look of the thicker beam. Im so used to a thin beam I wont even hit with a racquet like the pure drive. It all mental...plus I think a thin beamed mid looks great.

Keifers
05-03-2007, 11:30 AM
Something physically bigger is just naturally more obstructive than something physically smaller. There's no way around that. Bigger just takes up more air volume. That's why many people prefer smaller headed racquets with thinner beams.
A number of people have described the PS 85 as "scalpel-like" in the way it moves/cuts through the air, and that's also been my experience. Of course, many physical attributes factor into this maneuverability -- including weight distribution along the racquet's length. But it's my belief that the small head and thin beam of the 85 are major, major contributors.

While we're talking about aerodynamics, I was amazed recently at how well the Speedport Red cuts through the air. To me, it felt like a 95" frame with a 21-22 mm beam, rather than a 105 with a 23-25 mm beam. Those square holes must really work!...

armand
05-04-2007, 06:24 AM
Those square holes must really work!...Reminds me a story my mom told me the other day: She's the manager of a doctor's clinic and the other day a patient came in complaining that he has square shaped feces!

BreakPoint
05-04-2007, 11:14 AM
Reminds me a story my mom told me the other day: She's the manager of a doctor's clinic and the other day a patient came in complaining that he has square shaped feces!
What a pleasant mental image.

thechameleon
05-04-2007, 04:32 PM
So I have been playing with my POG mid lately and wanting to try something with a little bit larger sweet spot so i busted out the LM rad MP. When I went to go put it in my bag, I noticed that the two headsizes, for lack of a better term, were exactly the same. Supposedly 98 vs 93, yet they were the same size. What gives?

Ethan04
05-04-2007, 07:25 PM
mid gives you feel and control of your shots. switch to os, you would feel more forgiving and powerful, but you lost the feel and control.