PDA

View Full Version : Dunlop 300 mfil vs Babolat Pure drive standard

ElanSafin
05-02-2007, 07:19 PM
My dad is shipping me an mfil 300... i thnk ill receiv it by the end of may..

Yesterday while hanging out in the tennis court, i was able to hit wd a pure drive for the first time and i was impressed: great on groundstrokes,volleys and i serves well....
some says its too stiff bt i even think its flexible coz its to soft on groundstrokes and i can realy pinpoint my groundstrokes wd big swings........

since d m fil 300 has almost the same specs:weight,stiffness,string pattern..

Does any1 tnk it plays the same?Can som1 compare the two.....which is better? how can i myk my dunlop play lyk puredrives...hehehe info plssss

Noveson
05-02-2007, 07:30 PM
Really, typing actual words would help the responses you get around here. Generally the PD is more suited to people with western style grips who hit enough spin to contain the power; while the AG 300 is more of a flat hitters racquet(relatively).

LarougeNY
05-02-2007, 07:44 PM
My dad is shipping me an mfil 300... i thnk ill receiv it by the end of may..

Yesterday while hanging out in the tennis court, i was able to hit wd a pure drive for the first time and i was impressed: great on groundstrokes,volleys and i serves well....
some says its too stiff bt i even think its flexible coz its to soft on groundstrokes and i can realy pinpoint my groundstrokes wd big swings........

since d m fil 300 has almost the same specs:weight,stiffness,string pattern..

Does any1 tnk it plays the same?Can som1 compare the two.....which is better? how can i myk my dunlop play lyk puredrives...hehehe info plssss

Yeah I have to agree witht the whole "TYPE OUT YOUR WORDS" idea, otherwise nobodys gonna take you seriously.
The two frames are VERY different. THe babolat is stiffer (its not even debatable) and much more powerful (also not debatable). It does have potential for more spin, and better serves though. THe softness you felt could have been the strings possibly at a low tension as well.
No the two do not have the same specs, their weights are different (noticably IMO) the balances are VERY different, stiffnesses are VERY different, but yes they do have the same stringpattern (although on the AG the crosses are spaced very closely together near the center of the hoop whereas the spacing in the babolat is more open in the center).
My advice, go with whatever you like best (meaning try both). Also start spelling words out, or invest in a grammar tutor.

ElanSafin
05-02-2007, 08:00 PM
OK i'll type actual words from now on.

Anyways i don't think the dunlop 300 mfil is designed for flat hitters since it has open string patterns.. and according to dunlop you can easily generate spins from it....

Also the PD i used is strunged at maximum tension but its feels so soft and flexy(almost a prostaff original 95 for me)........

Noveson
05-02-2007, 08:04 PM

Anyways i don't think the dunlop 300 mfil is designed for flat hitters since it has open string patterns.. and according to dunlop you can easily generate spins from it....
Also the PD i used is strunged at maximum tension but its feels so soft and flexy(almost a prostaff original 95 for me)........

I said "relatively" flat, as compared to the PD. Also in my experience it isn't very spin friendly. Almost every open patterned racquet on TW has "spin friendly" in its description.

LarougeNY
05-02-2007, 08:07 PM

You can generate spin from just about any racket, and many of them "easily" generate spin. Nothing wrong with using it if you hit flat, I think its even easier to generate spin with the PD, so I'm really confused about what your agrument is against the 300 :confused:
If you hit flat then you choose the racket that gets more spin (PD) because its easy to generate spin from the dunlop??
can you clarify?

ElanSafin
05-02-2007, 08:36 PM
I hit heavy topspin on forehand and second serves.....
I only hit flat on midcourt high balls.....

I like using PD(and i think its a nice racket for my game,its too late cause my dad alreadt bought a mfil 300)... i wish there is a way a dunlop mfil 300 could play like PD..

Redflea
05-02-2007, 08:49 PM
Sounds like the racquet is coming, and you need to relax and wait for it to arrive before you decide it won't work. :)

Worst case, there's always a trade or ****.

Good luck.

bertrevert
05-03-2007, 02:10 AM
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the M-Fil. It is a modern update of teh series and has the stiffness, and the solid and strong hoop and beam you require. You may not be able to go as Western in your grip, but still it's a 98 sq. in. racquet and there's plenty of room in that stringbed. I think of it as a versatile racquet. That you hit flat at all bodes well.

Outlasting the opponent in long top-spin rallies gets you only so far. When someone take to those high bouncing balls and puts them away you will be looking to even the score and put some away yourself. Surely the Mi-Fil is a good hybrid therefore allowing plenty of spin combined with some all-court attack.

String it loose with a poly and watch it spin...

nunchuku
05-03-2007, 02:42 AM

I think it's Babolat's Woofer system on the racquet that gives it the cushioned trampoline-like feel. You may be able to mimic this on your Dunlop by using a string set like Technifibre's X-One Biphase or NRG2 which gives a pocketed feel.

Otherwise try Babolat's Pro Hurricane for enhanced spins.

logansc
05-03-2007, 07:23 PM
Agree with Bert. I have poly mains, synth crosses, and I can get great spin and easily hit out with flat shots for winners. Take it out for a test ride, you might not be able to hit out as well with the PD because of the high powered frame but you can always offset that with a tighter/ lower powered string. But good luck in your decision.

phucng_10
05-03-2007, 07:28 PM
M-Fil 300 is totally different from the Pure Drive.
You'll see a difference when you're going to hit with the 300.
I've done that before, and its not so good of a result.
I love my Pure Drive though!

kreative
05-04-2007, 02:31 AM
The MFil300 is a totally different feel from the Pure Drive. The PD will have more power than the MFil300. The reason you thought it felt "soft" could have been from the woofer grommets, or type of string. That said, I felt the MFil300 lacked pop and stability, but was very manueverable and really quick at the net. I felt it didn't have enough weight to block hard shots, or to hit penetrating ones. I myself use a western forehand grip, and use the PD. I do see flatter hitters enjoying the Mfil300 though, especially those w/ eastern grips. I've had 3 good friends who have all switched from the 6.0 95 to the Mfil 300. They all really enjoy how quick swinging it is with a little extra pop.

ElanSafin
05-08-2007, 05:18 PM
i like whippy rackets on groundstroke(i play good on PS 6.0 95 orig)
and used to heavy rackets before(my racket since jan 2004-mid 2006,no raket from mid 2006-present) is an i.prestige(the midplus standard length,which is hard for my shoulders and i easily get tired during matches).

So how can i make my dunlop 300 mfil whippy?and whats the setup for maximum control for my baseline game(hard heavy topspin serve, followed up with heavy topspin forehands corner to corner,, i always hav a ful swing on groundstrokes,except on returns which i shortened a little)?

saqdeez
05-08-2007, 05:50 PM
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the M-Fil. It is a modern update of teh series and has the stiffness, and the solid and strong hoop and beam you require. You may not be able to go as Western in your grip, but still it's a 98 sq. in. racquet and there's plenty of room in that stringbed. I think of it as a versatile racquet. That you hit flat at all bodes well.

Outlasting the opponent in long top-spin rallies gets you only so far. When someone take to those high bouncing balls and puts them away you will be looking to even the score and put some away yourself. Surely the Mi-Fil is a good hybrid therefore allowing plenty of spin combined with some all-court attack.

String it loose with a poly and watch it spin...

Unfortunately i just found this out, had it strung with cyberflash and a syn, 56 lb and 59 lb. it was ridiculously powerful. It was fun but pretty disappointed in how hard it was to keep in the court. Next time i will probably string it 4lb higher....This frame does not have good lateral control either.

Bundey
05-08-2007, 05:53 PM
Why can't you generate spin with the M-Fil 300? Can you do it with the Aerogels.

saqdeez
05-08-2007, 06:00 PM
mfil 300 = huge spin. if you cant spin it you are very weak, a child, or not very good

dunlopfan
05-08-2007, 06:19 PM
I've used them both and I can definately say that the Dunlop is the better frame. The PD has horrible volley control next to the Dunlop. The serve on the Dunlop seems more solid to me. The flexibility on the Dunlop is great. It gives you so much control! I say play with the Dunlop at stock before you try to ruin it with the specs of the PD.

Noveson
05-08-2007, 06:21 PM
mfil 300 = huge spin. if you cant spin it you are very weak, a child, or not very good

I haven't tried the MFil version, but have tried the Aerogel 300 for a week. I wasn't generating NEARLY as much spin as I do with my 001, PD, or even with the Pure Storm I was demoing. Now try to tell me that any of those three things apply to me, assuming the AG 300 is similar.

ElanSafin
05-08-2007, 06:41 PM
I've used them both and I can definately say that the Dunlop is the better frame. The PD has horrible volley control next to the Dunlop. The serve on the Dunlop seems more solid to me. The flexibility on the Dunlop is great. It gives you so much control! I say play with the Dunlop at stock before you try to ruin it with the specs of the PD.

Interestingly, the PD felt nice on volleys for me(has soft controllable feel to it which i prefer)..can u describe the mfils feel on volley?

According to the frame, the PD weighs 10.6 lbs unstrung but it felt stable so stable...the mfils unstrung weight is 10.8.(it must be more stable than the PD but why am i reading alot of posts that says mfil isnt stable)

xtremerunnerars
05-08-2007, 06:46 PM
Just keep in mind that you only got to hit with the PD one time. Could have just been a one time honeymoon moment (as someone put it in another thread). Hell, hitting with my dad's t3000 (connors's old racquet) feels sweet every once in a while but I know that it isn't the racquet for me.

ElanSafin
05-08-2007, 07:00 PM
Just keep in mind that you only got to hit with the PD one time. Could have just been a one time honeymoon moment (as someone put it in another thread). Hell, hitting with my dad's t3000 (connors's old racquet) feels sweet every once in a while but I know that it isn't the racquet for me.

I played a set with it.... and it feels great the whole match...
i dont think it will play diffrently the next time ill play with it ,unless ofcourse if the setup changed(strings,overgrip)

jasonmiller
05-08-2007, 07:24 PM
I currently own a PD and MFil. The PD feels muted, and has unlimited spin potential. Volleys are fine, if you do your part. The MFil has more vibration, which can be translated as "feel", and not as much spin. The biggest difference I see is on serve. The PD has enough extra stiffness/weight/spin that it's far and away a better serving stick. Kickers kick higher, and flat heaters have more heat. The only real advantage I see in the MFil is that it's just fun to hit around with. Seems "easy" to play with. It's versatile, and I feel like I can pull off any shot with it, just not with as much spin or power as the PD. However, because it isn't as powerful as the PD, finesse shots seem easier, even if it's just in my head. Oh, and for some reason my slice backhand is noticeably better with the MFil.

I tend to go for the MFil if I'm just hitting around with my girlfriend or newer players, but if I want to get competitive, I pull out the PD.