PDA

View Full Version : Write everything you know about VÖLKL company!

magnuswallen
05-03-2007, 12:25 AM
I want to know everything about the company (tennis).
Uncommon serious facts......

staedtler
05-03-2007, 12:47 AM
They also make skis.
Boris Becker owns part of Volkl Tennis.
Bethanie Mattek the player with crazy wardrobe uses a Volkl racquet.
drakulie hates Volkl racquets.

anirut
05-03-2007, 12:50 AM

Why everything? You're going to acquire the company?

And uncommon serious facts? Like what? The name of the 3rd granddaughter of the 95th shareholder?

All I know is they do make good tennis rackets, if that should be of help to you.

Kirko
05-03-2007, 12:54 AM
I remember when volkl was considered an exotic frame, that is unavailable here in the U.S. and the design was pretty compelling. the 1st player I saw using volkl was Hans Gildemeister.

haerdalis
05-03-2007, 04:08 AM
I just got my second Völkl model today. V1 catapult oversize. Thats not very well known, but it is a fact.

ericsson
05-03-2007, 04:38 AM
A little history:

The Völkl family has been resident in Straubing since 1875. Georg Völkl is a master coach builder and builds coaches. His son Franz expands the business by venturing into boat building, sleds and, officially from 1923, skis. These are built in the winter season and initially sell under the name of «Vöstra»

In 1952 the third generation in the person of Franz Völkl takes over management of the company from his father. Forty years later the then 65-year-old relinquishes the company by selling Völkl to the Swiss-based Gregor Furrer & Partner Holding AG

In 1967 Völkl, which had up till then been known for its solid conservative image, surprised everybody by launching a new, revolutionary ski design: the legendary Zebra Ski. The press were dismissive, but the customers were enthusiastic and the Zebra Ski becomes a worldwide success.
In 1972 Völkl entered the tennis sector. Zebra is the name of the first Völkl tennis racket. A real revolution in tennis - the Zebra is the first tennis racket in the world to be made entirely of plastic. Its playing characteristics and the striking design are a hit, especially in the USA, the destination for the first 140 rackets.

jonolau
05-03-2007, 06:23 AM
As far as I know, Petr Korda supposedly won the 1998 Australian Open with a C10 Pro.

armand
05-03-2007, 07:05 AM
In 1972 Völkl entered the tennis sector. Zebra is the name of the first Völkl tennis racket. A real revolution in tennis - the Zebra is the first tennis racket in the world to be made entirely of plastic. Its playing characteristics and the striking design are a hit, especially in the USA, the destination for the first 140 rackets.Plastic? Entirely outta plastic? Even the grip and strings? I'd like to see this.

Hey, your avatar is the bad guy from The Good, the Bad, the Ugly? I've only seen bits+pieces...

haerdalis
05-03-2007, 07:33 AM
Used or new? TW stopped selling them. Where can I get more?

I bought mine from TW. Look on the liquidation page. They were in pretty good condition and weighed exactly the same and had the same balance too. Very nice.

05-03-2007, 08:14 AM
they have a well-deserved and very strong reputation for making the highest-quality mass produced alpine skis out there - especially high performance and racing models.

they even have their own forest in Germany which supplies the wood for many of their skis

SFrazeur
05-03-2007, 08:32 AM
Volvl's are not sold in my area, I have never hit with one. I also have not paid much attention to them here on TW/TT. So for me to write everything I know would look something like this:

YonexDude
05-03-2007, 08:36 AM
they have a well-deserved and very strong reputation for making the highest-quality mass produced alpine skis out there - especially high performance and racing models.

SOME of the highest quality skis. They are a giant in the business but by no means the best. in the ski world, they are up there with rossi, K2, and salomon. i think that these 4 companies make the best skis in the world.

volkl makes some EXCELLENT racing skis. i raced on salomons though, which i thought to be a little bit better

little known fact: to get to the volkl website you used to have to type in "voelkl.com"

drakulie
05-03-2007, 08:53 AM
They also make skis.
Boris Becker owns part of Volkl Tennis.
Bethanie Mattek the player with crazy wardrobe uses a Volkl racquet.
drakulie hates Volkl racquets.

Who said I hate Volkl racquets? :)

Also, as sfrazeur stated, they are no longer sold in a couple stores down here in the Miami area.

SFrazeur
05-03-2007, 09:08 AM
Oh hey I do not know anything about Miami. But the only brands sold in my area are Wilson, Prince, Babolat, Head. If I can only get them to carry a couple of Yonex frames.

Simba007
05-03-2007, 09:23 AM
They don't reply your questions.

I sent them an e-mail through their Web site, asking a technical question regarding Volkl Classic V1 racquet, 1.5 week ago.

So far, NO response at all.

drakulie
05-03-2007, 09:27 AM
^^^ They probably have not responded becasue they are bankrupt, and all the offices are closed.

bm3
05-03-2007, 03:24 PM
little known fact: to get to the volkl website you used to have to type in "voelkl.com"
which makes sense because as the OP wrote the name is Völkl
Actually, both volkl and voelkl work ;)

OrangeOne
05-03-2007, 03:30 PM
Volvl's are not sold in my area, I have never hit with one. I also have not paid much attention to them here on TW/TT. So for me to write everything I know would look something like this:

Oh hey I do not know anything about Miami.

Anything else you wanna 'fess up to not knowing anything about, SF? :grin:

siata94
05-03-2007, 06:15 PM
Hey, your avatar is the bad guy from The Good, the Bad, the Ugly? I've only seen bits+pieces...

oh my... it's a true "island classic". Even if you don't own a TV, the music by itself qualifies as an "island classic" (like so many scores from Ennio Morricone). You can watch it over and over and over...

Same goes for The Princess Bride.

Back on topic: C10 is a great racket.

ericsson
05-04-2007, 12:10 AM
oh my... it's a true "island classic". Even if you don't own a TV, the music by itself qualifies as an "island classic" (like so many scores from Ennio Morricone). You can watch it over and over and over...

Same goes for The Princess Bride.

Back on topic: C10 is a great racket.

His gravestone says "Lee Van Cleef Jan 9, 1925 - Dec 16, 1989 'Best of the Bad' Love and Light".

back on topic, volkl plans are that boris comes out with "serveman", his own serve motion print, hopefully they bring new (player) rackets out soon...

austro
05-04-2007, 12:47 AM

why?

The Ball Matters
05-04-2007, 07:16 AM
Volkl once made a frame called the Gigante in the early 80's. Kick-*** racquet!

sureshs
05-04-2007, 09:21 AM

They are the company which make Volkswagon cars.

El Diablo
05-04-2007, 01:00 PM
In an apparent lapse of taste, Volkl named a racquet the V1, a name shared with the German missile-bombs that terrorized London in WW2. One racquet used to be called the V1 HotSpot, which the British must have found especially endearing.

katarddx
05-05-2007, 04:55 PM
also, the right pronaunciation would be FOELKL or strait FOLKL

insiderman
05-05-2007, 07:09 PM
Actually..the V1 was named that, ('V1') as to give reference to the variable beam of the frame...nothing more, nothing less. They had no idea (or didn't think about the dual-reference until later) as being related to the V1 bomb.
The first actual 'V1', was called the; Vario - they didn't think that would be understood by the rest of the world, and with their wanting to go Global...V1 seemed easier to understand.
From all the native German's I've met, (and that is a lot of them) they, (the German People) are more sensitive to, and ashamed of, the travesty & devestation brought onto the world by Hitler, then anyone else in the world.
Just go and see any of the Concentration Camps that they continue to maintain as perfectly as they do...they do NOT want the world to forget...
A beautiful Country...only more beautiful, are the values, etc of the German people...one (very!) bad countryman does not deem the attitude of the entire country - every country it seems, has or will have, their own 'Hitler' in some way or another over their country's history.

The world can and should be a better place..."battles" should be fought on the tennis court...

ollinger
05-05-2007, 07:36 PM
Germans are so ashamed of their past that they arranged a fake hijacking of a transport plane by the men who slaughtered the Israeli athletes at the Munich Olympic Games, simply to allow them to escape and to avoid inconvenient political issues in the Middle East. Hardly the behavior of a country that learned from its own despicable acts thirty years earlier.

TourTenor
05-06-2007, 11:48 AM
I started reading this thread only because I like the quality of the Volkl line of products. The OP didn't make it very clear why he (or she) wanted to know "everything" about the company. However, bringing up issues related to political decisions of the country within which a company is located is a bit ridiculous, in my opinion. These comments, right or wrong, have nothing to do with Volkl. It would be like tieing the Wilson company into the wave of death and instability in Iraq. Or, as another example, you could start a similar discussion about Wilson, a company that makes a racquet with the name Blitz. Did they not think about the death and destruction associated with the Blitz in London? I don't see any connection as the term Blitz like V1 has numerous connotations.

Insiderman gave a good explanation about the origin of the name V1. So, how about that company called Volkl?

jonolau
05-06-2007, 03:40 PM
I started reading this thread only because I like the quality of the Volkl line of products. The OP didn't make it very clear why he (or she) wanted to know "everything" about the company. However, bringing up issues related to political decisions of the country within which a company is located is a bit ridiculous, in my opinion. These comments, right or wrong, have nothing to do with Volkl. It would be like tieing the Wilson company into the wave of death and instability in Iraq. Or, as another example, you could start a similar discussion about Wilson, a company that makes a racquet with the name Blitz. Did they not think about the death and destruction associated with the Blitz in London? I don't see any connection as the term Blitz like V1 has numerous connotations.

Insiderman gave a good explanation about the origin of the name V1. So, how about that company called Volkl?
Very well put and I enjoyed reading your post.

TourTenor
05-07-2007, 09:18 AM
Thanks Jonalau ... by the way, I also own and sometimes use an MFil 300. It is good at everything and is my second backup stick. I pull it out when I need some extra power (after my main Volkl sticks), which occurs once in a while if I am overly tired. best, TourTenor

Zets147
05-07-2007, 09:22 AM
so is it pronounced Vo-cal or VOLK (like volkswagon or w/e it is).

retrowagen
05-07-2007, 10:52 AM
so is it pronounced Vo-cal or VOLK (like volkswagon or w/e it is).

The correct German pronunciation, in English phonetics, sounds like "FOOL-cull."

A few posts back, it was said that Voelkl were the first to make a plastic racket. Probably a literal translation from the German "Kunststoff" which means "synthetic material" and encompasses plastics, as well as fiberglas and graphite. I don't believe anyone other than Leach made a plastic racket (the Leach, which I playtested once back in the early 80's, was a floppy adaptation of their popular racketball racket but played horribly on the tennis court).

I was on the Voelkl freelist briefly in the mid-80's as they were trying to get some momentum in the American market. Their line of rackets then were quite expensive, poorly represented, and had playability problems and were probably only workable for clay court play then. I'm glad their more recent offerings are lighter and have better playability nowadays. The quality of the old German-made frames seemed a bit better than the newer (Chinese) models, IMO.

Ah yes: Volkswagen and Voelkl have nothing to do with each other, by the way.

SFrazeur
05-07-2007, 11:03 AM
Anything else you wanna 'fess up to not knowing anything about, SF? :grin:

I don't know how to respond to that. :cool:

jonolau
05-07-2007, 04:17 PM
Thanks Jonalau ... by the way, I also own and sometimes use an MFil 300. It is good at everything and is my second backup stick. I pull it out when I need some extra power (after my main Volkl sticks), which occurs once in a while if I am overly tired. best, TourTenor

You're welcome. To me, Volkl undeniably makes some of the best frame around and I still have a wide range of Volkls. As age creeps up, I moved on to the MF3 for the exact same reason as you did. But I do pull out my C10 Pro once in a while to reminisce ... :D