PDA

View Full Version : Rosewall vs. Ashe 1971 AO

noeledmonds
05-03-2007, 06:33 AM
I found these rather nice clips on youtube of the AO final between Rosewall and Ashe. The highlights are brief but the quality of both the tennis and the picture is good.

For those who critisise the physical fitness of the early game just look at how quickly Rosewall picks up several drop shots. Some delightful shots throughout the highlights, particuarly from Rosewall.

I have also put in the post-match interview for those interested.

Match Highlights
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzPuG5HWGmI

Interview
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaDsH6FCrlI

joe sch
05-03-2007, 07:40 AM
Those tennis greats from the past were in tremendous physical condition. They often played long 5 set matches and most of the players also played doubles. This was also the period that the tiebreaker was just added to tennis since sets often were in the double digits. One of the deciding matches for adding the tiebreaker was 1969 struggle at Wimbledon between Pancho Gonzales and Charlie Pasarell. This was a 5-set match that lasted five hours and 12 minutes and took 2 days to complete. In the fifth set the 41-year-old Gonzales won all seven match points that Pasarell had against him, twice coming back from 0-40 deficits. The final score was an improbable 22-24, 1-6, 16-14, 6-3, 11-9. Rosewall and Ashe were two of the fittest players and Rosewall played into his early 40s. Thanks for the links, great stuff !

urban
05-03-2007, 07:45 AM
I just saw a match, which i bought on dvd on the internet: Laver-Newcombe Wimbledon final 1969, a final between the two most prominent grass courters of the 60s and early 70s, with 7 Wimbies between them (the missing Wimbledons, they could not play for political reasons, not included). Wonderful match in good color quality. Fast, aggressive, offensive tennis with strategic use of dinks and lobs. Newk plays sometimes a soft, intelligent game (like Ashe vs. Connors in 75), and gives Laver no pace. Laver struggles for a while, end of second and beginning of third set, in which Newk leads 4-1. But then Laver turns on the heat, finds his range on serve and backhand, and then its over, finito, for the battling Newk. Laver hits one backhand winner after another, wins 7 games running, until a 2-0 lead in the fourth. Laver's backhand is 'phantastic' (as Dan Maskell says, who is commenting with Jack Kramer and Lew Hoad), he disguises them well until the moment of impact, gives them a lot of spin and hits some winners as half volleys completely out of arm and wrist, down the line or cross, finding angles, i have never seen again- not even by Federer. For a match, which was played some 38 years ago, the standard of play is astonishing.

joe sch
05-03-2007, 08:12 AM
Urban, excellent analysis of the 69W Laver v Newk That late run from Laver really put away Newk ... who made a few unforced errors including overhead that was really surprising. Looking forward to your analysis of the 69USO Laver v Roche. It was really interesting to get the match commentary from Dan Maskell with Jack Kramer and Lew Hoad. I also love to listen to Pancho Gonzales commentary for some of the classic matches.

Cheers,
Joe

CyBorg
05-03-2007, 10:29 AM
This is great tennis. What's laughable is that some people here would suggest that Rosewall and Ashe wouldn't have a prayer against today's pros.

Just look at the touch, look at the skill. Amazing.

vintageborg
05-09-2007, 06:25 AM
I`ve bought Rosewall Ashe in www.oldtennismatches.com ! what a match, that where the "glory days" of tennis!!

suwanee4712
05-09-2007, 10:29 PM
This is great tennis. What's laughable is that some people here would suggest that Rosewall and Ashe wouldn't have a prayer against today's pros.

Lots of skill and grace indeed. Rosewall could make a backhand sing. And Ashe had great strokes too, though a little less consistent. They both have classical games and could play in any era with the same opportunities with training, equipment, etc.

hoodjem
01-12-2008, 10:14 PM
Laver's backhand is 'phantastic' . . . I have never seen again- not even by Federer. For a match, which was played some 38 years ago, the standard of play is astonishing.

So true; I agree.

Again, I agree.