PDA

View Full Version : Changing a Dunlop Grip

Jonny S&V
05-03-2007, 06:38 AM
I have done a lot of searches but I am little blind when it comes to things that I am trying to find so I apologize in advance if this has been discussed and I cannot find it.
I have a 2 Dunlop M-fil 200 racquets with the sort of Head style grip shape and I was wondering what the most practical way of changing the grip to more of a Wilson style grip. I love the racquets to death, but the newer one that I have has a very pronounced flat shape to it while my older, more used racquet has a grip a little closer to a Wilson shaped grip, so I am trying to match the grip of my older one.
They are both 4 3/8 grip sizes so there is no worries about the size itself, it's just the square vs rectangle shape that I am having trouble with. Help is very much appreciated!

gd!
05-03-2007, 11:48 AM
Confusingly I found my AG 300 more of kind like Wilson grip shape than Head ...

Jonny S&V
05-03-2007, 12:12 PM
Yeah, my older Dunlop M-fil 200 has a more squarer grip than my new, which brings me to ask if they have changed the grips any over a year or if I have, over time, been gripping the racquet so much that it has become more squarer (although it doesn't look like it).

thefan
05-03-2007, 05:44 PM
Sry for being off topic but I'm looking into the mfil 200 currently, how is the stick working for you?

Jonny S&V
05-04-2007, 06:13 AM
Sry for being off topic but I'm looking into the mfil 200 currently, how is the stick working for you?

Really, really well, with the exception of the grip thing. I have added another ounce to the racquet in the handle and the racquet is great for a S&Ver like myself, as the racquet is great for slices and volleys. You will notice a very drastic drop in power on the serve (although I must admit, I have really never worked out seriously) if you are switching from something like a Prince TT Warrior MP and a Babolat Pure Drive +. It is a dream when hitting any kind of touch shots, and I am a known drop-shotter, and they only got better with this racquet. If you aren't very strong, work out for a month before you get this racquet, otherwise, you should do very well with it. I have had it after a year (I switched directly from a Babolat Pure Drive +) and am in the process of getting a 3rd one. :)

max
05-04-2007, 06:23 AM
Very interesting! I used the Max 200 G and and a Revelation for some time and ALWAYS preferred that squarish Dunlop grip. .. missed it even more since I'd moved on to Volkl, and had to get used to that grip shape weirdness.

Thomas Bird-Itch
05-04-2007, 06:26 AM
I used to like Wilson grips too, so I would sand others down to match them. It comes back to bite you in the @ss if you ever sell them. Now I prefer the Dunlop grip.

thefan
05-04-2007, 04:47 PM
Really, really well, with the exception of the grip thing. I have added another ounce to the racquet in the handle and the racquet is great for a S&Ver like myself, as the racquet is great for slices and volleys. You will notice a very drastic drop in power on the serve (although I must admit, I have really never worked out seriously) if you are switching from something like a Prince TT Warrior MP and a Babolat Pure Drive +. It is a dream when hitting any kind of touch shots, and I am a known drop-shotter, and they only got better with this racquet. If you aren't very strong, work out for a month before you get this racquet, otherwise, you should do very well with it. I have had it after a year (I switched directly from a Babolat Pure Drive +) and am in the process of getting a 3rd one.

Cool. Also, I'm mostly a flat show hitter. Is this racquet good for flat shots?

Jonny S&V
05-06-2007, 08:41 AM
Yes. Very good for flat shots, also very good for slice and volleys.

Jonny S&V
05-15-2007, 07:33 AM
I am sorry to put this back into the top 20 of the list, but honestly, DOES ANYONE ON THIS BOARD HAVE ANY IDEAS?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? (lol)

Redflea
05-15-2007, 07:54 AM
Funny...I've had the same issue w/my Dunlop grips, wish they were a bit more rounded like my old Yonex racquets. I just modded the grip last night on an M-Fil 200 2006 that I just received from TW, to see how it would feel.

It was very easy...but unfortunately I didn't take any pictures.

I bought some thin balsa wood to build it up. The process I followed was:

1. Took off the Dunlop grip
2. Measured the width and length of the two side bevels (the ones on the right and left sides, holding the grip in a handshake style)
3. Cut strips of balsa wood to the measurements
4. Sanded the balsa wood strips down until they were just under 1/8" thick
5. Laid them in place on the grip, used just a little old reliable Elmer's glue to help hold them in place, and wrapped the grip back into place around them.

Voila!! A perfectly round grip. Oops...too much balsa wood. :) The grip was so round I couldn't find my grips on it w/out actually looking at the racquet. I hit some volleys w/my son in the back yard and would have a wild mis-hit, and look down and discover I was accidentally using a full western grip and didn't even know it.

So...grip came off, sand, sand, sand, until the balsa was closer to 1/16" thick, grip back on, and VOILA! Perfection! I've "Yonex-ized" the Dunlop grip to a slightly less rectangular shape, and my 1HBH grip (which before was a little uncomfortable) now feels perfect.

I've seen others posting about using strips of duct tape to achieve the same effect.

Either way it's quick, easy, and completely reversable.

The main thing to remember is that it takes less additional bulk than you think it will to make a pretty big change in the feel, and the mod will increase the grip size. I started w/a grip one size down from normal and the modded version feels like my normal grip size.

Jonny S&V
05-16-2007, 07:26 AM
Thank you very much! If you could, and if you have the time, could you post pics? How much did the grip change in pure size (like, did it go from 4 3/8 to 4 1/2 or something along these lines). Thanks again!

skraggle
05-16-2007, 03:18 PM

If you can handle the hefty swingweight, it's an excellent stick. I'm back playing it again after working out like crazy to be able to handle it for long matches.

Precise serves (you need to provide power), excellent control, can handle wicked pace from opponent, the best skidding slices ever (drives full western guys crazy) and solid at the net. For me, an ideal level of flex, too.

All that for $79.99. Sweet deal.

skraggle
05-16-2007, 03:23 PM
Yeah, my older Dunlop M-fil 200 has a more squarer grip than my new, which brings me to ask if they have changed the grips any over a year or if I have, over time, been gripping the racquet so much that it has become more squarer (although it doesn't look like it).

I have 13 of these sticks, and the only ones with hinky grips are some early production/demo versions I bought for pennies. You might have one of those. The production ones I purchased from TW and others places all have the same grip.

Redflea
05-16-2007, 04:42 PM
Thank you very much! If you could, and if you have the time, could you post pics? How much did the grip change in pure size (like, did it go from 4 3/8 to 4 1/2 or something along these lines). Thanks again!

I don't know when I'll have time to take/post pics...the grip was 4 1/4 stock, and I think it's now 4 3/8. I'll try to measure later tonight.