PDA

View Full Version : Another St. Vincent question (sorry)

BDAZ
05-03-2007, 07:25 AM
Okay, before I get crucified for "not using the search" function, I did, and couldn't quite find what I was looking for. I'm trying to identify this Pro Staff for a member at my club. Please help. Here are the stats: it says 'midsize' on both outside sides of the throat. Inside of one side is blank, the other has sticker that says '4 1/2 string at 65-70 lbs.' and 'weight/oz. 11.6-12.3 unstrung Balanced 1.0-1.5 in. headlight'. Red primer. Squared off string channel. No bumper. White buttcap. Code 'GRI'. I've looked at the faded code every which way and don't see how the first letter could not be a G. Don't think it could be a Q. I'm guessing that what we have here is River Grove Pro Staff. Question is, did these come with red primer? Did early St. Vincents come with no bumper? Do St. Vincents always have a Q in the code? Another interesting thing I found was that between the last two string holes on the outside of the head (where the head meets the bridge) the grommet strip is not flat. There's a rounded bump between the last two holes, sort of like the grommets on a Babolat. Don't know why this differs from others that I've seen. Maybe like a built-in power pad, to lessen the sharp angle? I don't know. Let me know what you think. Thanks for your help.

VGP
05-03-2007, 07:30 AM
Yeah.....sounds like a Chicago version.

drakulie
05-03-2007, 07:59 AM
Okay, before I get crucified for "not using the search" function, I did, and couldn't quite find what I was looking for. I'm trying to identify this Pro Staff for a member at my club. Please help. Here are the stats: it says 'midsize' on both outside sides of the throat. Inside of one side is blank, the other has sticker that says '4 1/2 string at 65-70 lbs.' and 'weight/oz. 11.6-12.3 unstrung Balanced 1.0-1.5 in. headlight'. Red primer. Squared off string channel. No bumper. White buttcap. Code 'GRI'. I've looked at the faded code every which way and don't see how the first letter could not be a G. Don't think it could be a Q. I'm guessing that what we have here is River Grove Pro Staff.

As VGP stated, it is a Chicago (River grove) model.

Question is, did these come with red primer?

Yes.

Did early St. Vincents come with no bumper?

Yes.

Do St. Vincents always have a Q in the code?

Not necessarily, but the majority do have a "Q" in the code.

Another interesting thing I found was that between the last two string holes on the outside of the head (where the head meets the bridge) the grommet strip is not flat. There's a rounded bump between the last two holes, sort of like the grommets on a Babolat.

Yes, they include this bump. Additionally, if you look at the 3 separate grommets on the throat, you will notice they are extremely rasied. The later versions are lower.

BDAZ
05-03-2007, 08:17 AM
thanks for the responses. am i right that the chicago version is older than the st. vincent? how does this one play compared to the st. v and the newer chinese models (really my only frame of reference concering ps 85's). it feels heavier than the newer chinese model. thanks.

drakulie
05-03-2007, 08:29 AM
thanks for the responses. am i right that the chicago version is older than the st. vincent?

Yes.

how does this one play compared to the st. v and the newer chinese models (really my only frame of reference concering ps 85's). it feels heavier than the newer chinese model. thanks.

To me it is definitely more hefty, and solid feeling than any other version. I won't even get into the china models as they feel more hollow than the taiwan, Vincent, or chicago.