PDA

View Full Version : Lendl has no racquets....

origmarm
05-03-2007, 07:45 AM
The following is an article that I pulled of an AFP earlier...you would have thought he would have kept at least one:

Tennis: Legend Lendl has no tennis rackets
2007-05-02 12:31 (New York)

BERLIN, May 2, 2007 (AFP) - Former world number one Ivan Lendl
revealed on Wednesday he does not have a single racket left from his
playing career.
The American of Czech origin told German magazine Stern that he
has given away all of the rackets from a glittering career which saw
him win 21 million dollars and 94 ATP tour titles.
"I do not have any tennis racket left," said the 47-year-old,
who retired in 1994.
"I gave them all away. When I want to play, I have to borrow
one."
ryj/lp07
-0- May/02/2007 16:22 GMT

harrpau7
05-03-2007, 07:58 AM
"I gave them all away. When I want to play, I have to borrow
one."
ryj/lp07
-0- May/02/2007 16:22 GMT

Can he not afford 30 to buy a tennis racquet??

VGP
05-03-2007, 08:08 AM
Sounds like he's not a sentimental kind of guy with tennis stuff.

He's been obsessed with golf anyway.

I heard that he shouldn't be playing tennis in a legal sense. He had an insurance policy that he was able to employ due to injury. Since he retired due to a chronic back unjury, he's now not able to play and would void his insurance claim if he did. Maybe he can play on a limited basis.....

(if I'm misinformed please someone correct me)

origmarm
05-03-2007, 08:11 AM
Sounds like he's not a sentimental kind of guy with tennis stuff.

He's been obsessed with golf anyway.

I heard that he shouldn't be playing tennis in a legal sense. He had an insurance policy that he was able to employ due to injury. Since he retired due to a chronic back unjury, he's now not able to play and would void his insurance claim if he did. Maybe he can play on a limited basis.....

Thats interesting, I didn't realise he was insured and cashed in...
Wonder what a racquet would be worth now if he'd hung on to them

bluetrain4
05-03-2007, 08:18 AM
I've read quite a bit about how into golf he is. But, I still would have thought he would have kept a few to hang on the wall.

A couple of his daughters are really good golfers. Pro and/or Division I college level.

Serve 'em hard
05-03-2007, 08:20 AM

^
Sounds like an urban legend.

He probably doesn't own a tennis racquet 'cause he doesn't like to play tennis anymore, strange as that may sound. I can actually relate in my own small way -- I used to live and breathe soccer as a kid and played all the time for several years and was quite good at it. Now, years later, I got no interest at all in playing that game for whatever reason (injuries, presumed loss of skills, whatever). But I love to play tennis, I game that didn't used to interest me that much.

hoosierbr
05-03-2007, 11:02 AM
The only time I'm aware that Ivan has been on a tennis court lately was right before the 2005 US Open when he was part of a kid's clinic. He talked about it a little in his press conference after being inducted into the Hall of Champions before the Men's Final (Agassi v. Fed).

Mick
05-05-2007, 06:13 AM
i wonder what playing level Lendl is at with his bad back, lack of tennis play, and an overweight body. Could he still beat a 5.0 ? :)

VGP
05-05-2007, 07:30 AM
He could beat a 5.0 by just staring him down......Lendl sure could intimidate.

BTW, you're giving a 5.0 way too much credit.

mellofelow
05-05-2007, 10:08 PM
Hmmm... that's one guy who hasn't give back to the sport. It's a shame.

Wasn't he allergic to grass? Now he's a golf nut and the daughter has won amateur titles.

Never the less, I do admire his competitiveness as a pro.

OrangeOne
05-05-2007, 10:17 PM
"I gave them all away. When I want to play, I have to borrow one."

Well, aside from all of the insurance stuff (a myth, surely.... I mean above, he says 'when I want to play'!), what a damn nice and practical thing to do.

I was always a fan, and I'm very glad to see he has given the racquets away. If he decided to play regularly again (which would be unlikely given his back / etc), no doubt maaaaany manufacturers would toss him a 100 freebees at a moment's notice.

In the meantime, no doubt people who will appreciate them more have them, hopefully via charities that have raised money by selling them or they've gone to schools or similar (and yes, I know, tiny headsize = bad to learn on ;)).

Good and practical. I never really understand people 'collecting' stuff and keeping stuff that isn't used, but I know I'm odd on at least that front.

N23
05-05-2007, 10:39 PM
Hmmm... that's one guy who hasn't give back to the sport. It's a shame.

Wasn't he allergic to grass? Now he's a golf nut and the daughter has won amateur titles.

Never the less, I do admire his competitiveness as a pro.

Me too. Shame he never stuck around after his career.

AndrewD
05-06-2007, 06:23 AM
Hmmm... that's one guy who hasn't give back to the sport. .

Connors has never given anything back to the sport and what McEnroe has given can't compensate for what he continually takes away from it. End of the day, Lendl had a young family and they, quite rightly, were the ones who deserved his undivided attention. Still, if Lendl did give you nothing else then the example he set for Pete Sampras (when Pete trained with him as a youngster) was a key factor in that player achieving all he did.

vsdtrek
05-07-2007, 10:29 AM
Connors has never given anything back to the sport and what McEnroe has given can't compensate for what he continually takes away from it. End of the day, Lendl had a young family and they, quite rightly, were the ones who deserved his undivided attention. Still, if Lendl did give you nothing else then the example he set for Pete Sampras (when Pete trained with him as a youngster) was a key factor in that player achieving all he did.

Very solid points you make.

oiler90
05-07-2007, 08:35 PM
How many times does a retired accountant "give back" to his chosen career of 15+ years ? Why should Lendl, or any other person be held to a higher standard ? It was his job for crying-out-loud , not a hobby that someone made him perform against his will.

He has played many times since his retirement. Once with me in an exo in Toledo. He has given back many times. This one in Toledo was for Make-a-Wish Foundation.

stormholloway
05-07-2007, 08:44 PM
If McEnroe hasn't given back to the sport then who has?

What does that even mean? McEnroe is one of the most inspiring athletes ever, let alone tennis.

Azzurri
05-08-2007, 08:39 AM
Me too. Shame he never stuck around after his career.

I don't disagree with you, but there is a good reason he left tennis and decided not to be a part of it....he was HATED by the media and fans. He was easily the most unpopular #1 ever. I always admired his work ethic, but he was a dud. He was just not liked and he seemed to feel the same way.

Colpo
05-08-2007, 02:09 PM
Particularly early on in Lendl's career, he was perhaps THE most sarcastic interview of any pro athlete ... EVER. I mean, the guy just had a crazy edge to everything he said, major defense mechanism-type stuff. Now, it's hip to appreciate Ivan's hard work = power game approach to things, because that's where the game is today, but I wouldn't be surprised if he holds little affection for the pro game based on how he feels he was treated back in the day.

Gundam
05-09-2007, 02:44 AM
OK, then, if Ivan has to buy a racquet now because no one would let him borrow theirs...what would he choose?

Estusa Power beam pro b/c it looks similar to his Adidas (or Mizuno?)?
K90?
PS6.0 85?
Or PC600 or one of prestiges?
RDS001?
I don't think he would like O-port series.
What do you think?

Colpo
05-09-2007, 06:58 AM
OK, then, if Ivan has to buy a racquet now because no one would let him borrow theirs...what would he choose?

Estusa Power beam pro b/c it looks similar to his Adidas (or Mizuno?)?
K90?
PS6.0 85?
Or PC600 or one of prestiges?
RDS001?
I don't think he would like O-port series.
What do you think?

It's an interesting question to ponder, but the fact is the guy has given us NOTHING on which to base a conclusion. My best guess is that since he's cold-turkey'ed the game for over a decade, he'd need some help from his frame today. I think that rules out any hardcore players' frame of today. Then, consider that he and Mats Wilander were contemporaries, rivals, and most importantly, wealthy Connecticutians (real term up there). Last I recall Mats was using something like the Volkl DNX 10 MP on the Champs Tour, a real ballers' frame but easy on the arm with great feel. Plus, Becker, another peer, owns a controlling interest in Volkl. It's the easiest fit for Lendl, a guy who's not going to go to alot of trouble over this. All this means Lendl ends up playing with some easy-going Volkl DNX players' frame model. Do I make a case, or what?

Rabbit
05-09-2007, 08:02 AM
Well these days, Wilander is swinging an Yonnie and living in Idaho so I don't know that you can use him as a supporting argument.

Lendl also had a very close relationship with Bosworth and at one time helped Prince design a frame that was used breifly (one or two tournaments) by Pat Rafter. I think Lendl would follow in his countrywoman's (before naturalization and after) footsteps and use a Bosworth special.

Buchhalter
05-09-2007, 12:08 PM
Actually retired accountants do work pro-bono, or volunter with the AICPA to help produce audit and accounting material.

Some do, some don't depends on the person.

Colpo
05-09-2007, 12:54 PM
Well these days, Wilander is swinging an Yonnie and living in Idaho so I don't know that you can use him as a supporting argument.

Lendl also had a very close relationship with Bosworth and at one time helped Prince design a frame that was used breifly (one or two tournaments) by Pat Rafter. I think Lendl would follow in his countrywoman's (before naturalization and after) footsteps and use a Bosworth special.

Whoops, looks like my info re: "Motts" is woefully out of date. Please tell me his marriage is still healthy after 20+ years, and I'll feel better about my out-of-touch-iveness.

Serve 'em hard
05-09-2007, 05:22 PM
He has played many times since his retirement. Once with me in an exo in Toledo. This one in Toledo was for Make-a-Wish Foundation.

Who won?? Details please.

Separate issue: What/who is "Bosworth"?

thefan
05-09-2007, 05:27 PM
what McEnroe has given can't compensate for what he continually takes away from it.

yep haha lol

Rabbit
05-09-2007, 07:37 PM
Whoops, looks like my info re: "Motts" is woefully out of date. Please tell me his marriage is still healthy after 20+ years, and I'll feel better about my out-of-touch-iveness.

Yes, he and his wife are still married and she resides in Idaho.

zapvor
05-12-2007, 06:18 PM
i cant believe he doesnt have a single one. i wonder who has them....

Mick
05-12-2007, 07:03 PM
i cant believe he doesnt have a single one. i wonder who has them....

yep, it sounds hard to believe

Ted Ghost Shackley
05-12-2007, 10:08 PM
Ivan Lendl always had a very dry, sardonic sense of humour. He enjoyed saying things in an indirect fashion; taking the **** out of people was sport for him. My guess is that saying he gave all his racquets away was just his way of saying he was done with tennis and having some fun with the reporter. There is no Vermouth in the Lendl martini.

Lendl is an art collector and wise investor. Hi

Ted Ghost Shackley
05-12-2007, 10:14 PM
Unforced error, my apologies...

...His 14+ ounce racquets would not serve juniors or amateurs well. The value was best realized at auctions that could benefit charities. I haven't seen many on sale. I'd certainly pay well for a Lendl Adidas GTX.

Anyone seen an old Lendl racquet on sale or at a charity auction?

zapvor
05-13-2007, 11:26 AM
i want one too....

CEvertFan
05-13-2007, 12:30 PM
Ivan Lendl always had a very dry, sardonic sense of humour. He enjoyed saying things in an indirect fashion; taking the **** out of people was sport for him. My guess is that saying he gave all his racquets away was just his way of saying he was done with tennis and having some fun with the reporter. There is no Vermouth in the Lendl martini.

Lendl is an art collector and wise investor. Hi

LOL I like that! I always liked Lendl as a player as well, even when no one else did.