PDA

View Full Version : Considering a move from the C10, seeking advice

Blue Drop
05-03-2007, 11:04 AM
Hi,
I've used the Volkl C10 Pro for years and really love the soft flexible feel of the racquet, but am thinking about trying out some new raquets. The C10 is a bit heavy at 12oz, which I've generally appreciated, but I'm getting a little older and thinking about something maybe an oz lighter. Plus, I could use a little more pop on my serve.

First question, is the Tour 10 Gen II much different from the C10?

Second, I'm probably going to demo the Babolat Pure Storm Team. Anything in the Volkl lineup that's similar to that? I'd like to stick with 98 square inches.

Thanks,
BD

TourTenor
05-03-2007, 11:45 AM
I used the Tour 10 Gen 2 for a couple of years, and I still use it as a backup ... I find that it has good pop and specially when hitting its super sweetspot. However, if I were trying to bring heat on the majority of my first serves, I would say no to this one. My feeling is that you need good torque on your serve motion with excellent racquet head speed to get the best power out of the Gen 2. So, with a majority of hard first serves this one can get you tired, as well. If you mix up your serves (spin and heat) like I do, this one works great.
In short, I haven't tried the C10 but I don't believe that the Gen 2 is more powerful. Maybe NBMJ will give you a comparison.

Blue Drop
05-03-2007, 11:59 AM
Also thinking about changing up the strings first, to see how much of a difference that makes.

I've been using prince synthetic at 57. I think 57 is right in the middle. But I've heard that chaning strings even while staying at the same lbs can feel quite different.

I go through strings pretty quickly when I'm playing a lot, so I was glad to have become accustomed to the cheap strings, but I can be convinced to step up to the plate on some more spendy ones if it means not buying new raquets.

fuzz nation
05-03-2007, 01:48 PM
I'm still noodling with my C-10's - I found them as part of my search for a more flexible frame than my old Prostaff 6.1 Classics. I use 17 ga syn gut and started stringing them too tight - the last round I did was down to 55 lbs, but I'm going to do the next one at 52-53. Big difference from my Prostaffs that need to be at 63-65 lbs with the same string for me to use them. My suspicion is that I'll be happier with a livelier string so I'm going to try a multifiber in the Volkls soon.

I knocked around with a Tour 10 Gen II a year ago and it was light for me, but also pretty soft (I put a touch of lead on my C-10's). The Tour 10 would probably be more comfortable to handle and hit with, but I doubt it would be a more powerful option. Then again, if you're more comfortable swinging it, you might be able to hit harder with accuracy. The other option you may want to consider from Volkl is the DNX 9 because it's a little lighter and stiffer in spec's than the C-10.

NoBadMojo
05-03-2007, 01:57 PM
Hi,
I've used the Volkl C10 Pro for years and really love the soft flexible feel of the racquet, but am thinking about trying out some new raquets. The C10 is a bit heavy at 12oz, which I've generally appreciated, but I'm getting a little older and thinking about something maybe an oz lighter. Plus, I could use a little more pop on my serve.

First question, is the Tour 10 Gen II much different from the C10?

Second, I'm probably going to demo the Babolat Pure Storm Team. Anything in the Volkl lineup that's similar to that? I'd like to stick with 98 square inches.

Thanks,
BD

The Gen2 isnt going to bring you any more inherent power than the C10 (maybe less), but will be markedly easier to swing fast (which will help cpmpensate) and is headlight like the C10, and has a very comfortable flexy feel. you should at least try it out and see if you can get enough juice out of it by stringing on the low side with something powerful.

The DNX9 is lighter, but firmer. it will give you more work on your ball, does everything well, but the ball feel isnt as warm and fuzzy as you are used to. I've been using these lately with the only mod being leather grips, and getting very nice results

Stay tuned for a new frame from Volkl from the Boris Becker line..I think it will be the BB11 and is to be around a 315-320 swingweight, but is to be drilled for 18mains..thats all i know about that one

If you want something with a firmer feel, there are many choices. I've found as you get older, and require something lighter and stiffer, something must go, and that is usually a bit of the ball feel..unfortunately ya never get to have it all

TourTenor
05-03-2007, 02:06 PM
blue,
I think your idea of trying different strings and tensions is a good one. I also suggest that playing with cheaper strings can become expensive. As an example, I was using Gamma Live Wire and breaking strings every 4-6 weeks, more recently playing with a VS gut, Hurricane poly (hybrid) setup my strings are still holding up after 16 weeks or more. I will have to cut them out when my poly tension is too far gone. Also, see the many discussions in the Strings section.
And, in response to your comment, racquets certainly play differently with different strings even if the tension is the same. Try some gut (the hybrid versions are cheaper than all gut) and see if you can pick up some power. Also, try a lower tension for more power.
good luck.;)

Blue Drop
05-04-2007, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the advice, everyone.

I think I'll try new strings, but also out of curiosity take the Babolat and also a DNX-9 out for a spin. The truth is, I love the C10 Pro. I love how it feels when I'm hitting well, almost like I'm cradling the ball in the pocket for a sec. I'm guessing anything else will feel more jarring. But we'll see.

siata94
05-04-2007, 03:06 PM
fwiw, I've also been a longtime C10 user and just recently switched to the n61 95. Tried the DNX9; it's a much bigger change than going to the n61 (well, being a longtime user of various ProStaffs as well, the n61 was immediately familiar).
That diff of 1oz is prob the biggest factor. ymmv.