PDA

View Full Version : Pete Sampras ... Plays Another Tournament

ibemadskillzz
05-03-2007, 05:21 PM
He is playing right now at outback champions series against corda winning the first set then playing in the second.
Pete pulled of the magic death touch shot of the century at the net. No one can come up with this death touch half volley. It was sick. second set tied 1-1 and he pulled it off. it was crazy shot. This is in Boston.

mJeez4293
05-03-2007, 05:22 PM
im goin with friends to see him tomoro

drakulie
05-03-2007, 05:38 PM
I Want To See This On Television!!!!! You Guys Are So Lucky!!!

mJeez4293
05-03-2007, 05:49 PM
haha for once id rather live in mass than miami

drakulie
05-03-2007, 06:02 PM
^^^^^ For today, YOU SUCK! :)

VGP
05-03-2007, 06:14 PM
Ouch......saw the score, 1 & 2.

gsquicksilver
05-03-2007, 06:20 PM
is he playing with the K90?

sarpmas
05-03-2007, 07:01 PM
Ouch......saw the score, 1 & 2.
1 & 2!! Someone got to put that in youtube! PLEASE......

ibemadskillzz
05-03-2007, 07:12 PM
It was so sick, sampras did that shot then he slowly watched the ball do it's magic, he crawled up to the net. The fans went crazy, Pete did a quick fist pump. Commentators were going nuts. omg!!!!
I know that no one can come up with that shot. the commentator said even JMac couldn't do that in his prime. That was simply amazing, he can take on Federer for sure.^^

sarpmas
05-03-2007, 07:17 PM
^^^ oh come on! you're killing me!! :)

Young Pete
05-03-2007, 07:17 PM
Pete Sampras = The Michael Jordan Of Tennis!

psamp14
05-03-2007, 07:23 PM
i've seen some pictures on yahoo sports...sampras is wearing a half white/half black nike top w/ white shorts.....no K90...using the ncode 90 paintjob

pistol pete looks in form if the score was 6-1 6-2...

FedFan_2007
05-03-2007, 09:11 PM
Did ya see Federer FOllies???

Fedace
05-03-2007, 09:14 PM
Can someone please tell me where on tv i can watch this from?

chiru
05-03-2007, 09:25 PM
yah this better go on youtube. pistol pete, man i miss him

TheNatural
05-04-2007, 01:02 AM
I saw a few of his shots on the news. Saw a few classic forehands. It reminded me of how he used to overpower Agassi on the forehand with that extra gear.

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/tennis/05/04/sampras.seniors.ap/p1.pete.sampras.ap.jpg

Pro Staff Pete
05-04-2007, 01:22 AM
Someone, please upload this if you are able to!

jelle v
05-04-2007, 01:50 AM
Wow.. looks weird, that Wilson with those babolat stripes in it. That racket just looks strange in other than Federer's hands. Saw Krajicek play with it and now Sampras.

Baghdatis72
05-04-2007, 01:55 AM
Wow.. looks weird, that Wilson with those babolat stripes in it. That racket just looks strange in other than Federer's hands. Saw Krajicek play with it and now Sampras.

What's up with the Babolat stripes on the K90? :confused:

Pro Staff Pete
05-04-2007, 02:11 AM
Nothing wrong with them imo. Sampras has always had them.

tenniko
05-04-2007, 02:16 AM
What's up with the Babolat stripes on the K90? :confused:

Sampras used to play with Babolat strings. I don't know if he still uses them, but maybe he does, so the babolat stripes. If you see his early pics, you can see both the babolat strip and wilson stencil on the stringbed.

pennc94
05-04-2007, 02:51 AM
I saw it live last night on Comcast sportsnet channel here in the DC area. Pete's serves looked really good. More slice than I recall. Plenty of pace though. Korda was outmatched. Pete did look a little slower on the court. It is going to be on TV all weekend.

By the way, the Mayotte - McEnroe match was on just before. Mayotte looks like he put on 100 pounds.

Serve em Up
05-04-2007, 03:17 AM
Really cool to see Pete playng again. I couldn't believe this little drop volley he hit twowards the end of the match! He plays Mcenroe next. I think Mac is a little long in the tooth to keep up with ole Pertey!

I hope Mac throws one of his famous fits though. That would be pretty cool.

spadesss
05-04-2007, 04:44 AM
He is playing right now at outback champions series against corda winning the first set then playing in the second.
Pete pulled of the magic death touch shot of the century at the net. No one can come up with this death touch half volley. It was sick. second set tied 1-1 and he pulled it off. it was crazy shot. This is in Boston.

i was there too.
i kinda faze out after korda hit his passing shot (assumed he hit a clean winner). i turned slight over to see if my friend was recording/snapped pic of that and for a split second, took my eye out the ball.
when i refocus to the court, i saw the ball leaving pete's racket and dropped to the other size. it had crzy spin on the ball.
it was an incredible get.

ps...Mac wasn't too bad either.

spadesss
05-04-2007, 04:45 AM
Really cool to see Pete playng again. I couldn't believe this little drop volley he hit twowards the end of the match! He plays Mcenroe next. I think Mac is a little long in the tooth to keep up with ole Pertey!

I hope Mac throws one of his famous fits though. That would be pretty cool.

they have the reverse singles tonight (fri).
then pete and mac play Sat.

Gugafan_Redux
05-04-2007, 07:15 AM
Torrent anyone?

Plz?

mJeez4293
05-04-2007, 07:19 AM
is it scheduled for pete to play mac tonight? im pumped then!!

spadesss
05-04-2007, 07:27 AM
anyone attending this event and would like 1 more ticket (FRIDAY NIGHT 7:30pm)?
let me know. i am selling it at face vaule $35.
i posted it in the Sales section as well. thanks.

Fedace
05-04-2007, 07:43 AM
anyone attending this event and would like 1 more ticket (FRIDAY NIGHT 7:30pm)?
let me know. i am selling it at face vaule $35.
i posted it in the Sales section as well. thanks.

Is it on tv or internet anywhere?

spadesss
05-04-2007, 07:45 AM
i think it would be shown on NESN live if Red Sox is not playing.
or broacast it later after the baseball game.

rasajadad
05-04-2007, 07:55 AM
I'm going tonight and tomorrow. FWIW there is another one of these Outback Tournaments in Newport in August. That means Sampras and McEnroe on GRASS!!! I'll be in heaven.

Fedace
05-04-2007, 08:01 AM
i think it would be shown on NESN live if Red Sox is not playing.
or broacast it later after the baseball game.

what about in the Mid-West area? is it live streaming anywhere in the internet?

drakulie
05-04-2007, 08:16 AM
FWIW there is another one of these Outback Tournaments in Newport in August. That means Sampras and McEnroe on GRASS!!! I'll be in heaven.

That would be awesome!

tHotGates
05-04-2007, 08:27 AM
Sampras/Korda highlights (amazing drop shot included)

Nice to see Pistol Pete back in action. Enjoy.

http://www.boston.com/sports/nesn/

drakulie
05-04-2007, 09:11 AM
^^^^ thanks for sharing. That drop shot was sick!

laurie
05-04-2007, 09:29 AM
Good grief, Sampras' comeback has even made Euronews satellite TV channel over here in Europe!

It's great to see him back.

fastdunn
05-04-2007, 10:28 AM
I actually I enjoyed baseline rally between Sampras and Korda in 90's on hard courts.
Korda hit kinda flat and Sampras liked the height of bounce.
And they often produced fabulous ground stroke rallies...

fastdunn
05-04-2007, 10:34 AM

That's right. You don't lose your serve even if you get old and lose some
foot speed. That's why he lasted so long on fast courts of 90's...

spadesss
05-04-2007, 10:35 AM
I actually I enjoyed baseline rally between Sampras and Korda in 90's on hard courts.
Korda hit kinda flat and Sampras liked the height of bounce.
And they often produced fabulous ground stroke rallies...

i did enjoy those as well.
unfortunately, Korda did played like a "senior" while Pete played like he was in the 90s. Sampras was on fire from the 1st point. Korda had no chance the other day.
It looked like Korda was 1/2 second too slow reacting and got ccaught everytime. during the railles Sampras force him to go for just a bit more and ended up about 2-3 inches out.

psamp14
05-04-2007, 11:00 AM
thanks for posting the highlights link!

pistol pete looks in great form...obviously he said his movement is not as good but WOW what serves bombing them in the 130s and the volleys of death!

aramis
05-04-2007, 11:14 AM
I'm still trying to make sense of that drop volley. Was it just a lucky mishit or pure genius?

Fedace
05-04-2007, 11:19 AM
^^^^ thanks for sharing. That drop shot was sick!

Drakulie, that drop shot bounced so high, rafa would have run that down with time for cup of tea. korda didn't even try to get it and he clearly was moving like that turtle in the Comcast commercial. One thing i was very impressed with was that Pete said, now he is actually serving bigger than he did before with the new N-code rackets, He said IN the 130's consistantly. WOW.

Fedace
05-04-2007, 11:20 AM

Thanks for the link but does the station also live stream the video? What about all those people Not living in Boston area ? Can we get this station somehow?:confused:

tHotGates
05-04-2007, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the link but does the station also live stream the video? What about all those people Not living in Boston area ? Can we get this station somehow?:confused:

I don't live in Boston (used to) & honestly do not know about NESN's live-streaming. I was just looking for highlight clips & figured NESN would have something. I was also searching the Boston networks (NBC, ABC, etc) for highlight clips but it was a limited search (I figure there has to be some).

FYI, ESPN has some highlights (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/index) but you have to sign up (they say it's free) to their ESPN360.com. I know NESN is shown regionally in NE & maybe/should be available on Satellite? Call or e-mail them.

Hopefully, someone (paging Boston TW posters) will upload some more clips on Youtube.

pennc94
05-04-2007, 12:23 PM
If you are in the DC area and have Comcast, they are showing these matches on Comcast SportsChannel (43 or 251).

drakulie
05-04-2007, 12:46 PM
Drakulie, that drop shot bounced so high, rafa would have run that down with time for cup of tea.

Whatever the case you are trying to make, it was an awesome shot.

Oh, and by the way, Rafa has proven he could only win consistently on one surface>>> and it ain't hardcourt. With how far back he stands to return serve>> I doubt he would reach a drop volley like the one samp hit.

spadesss
05-04-2007, 01:22 PM
on the drop shot.
Korda hit a FH and then Sampras made that awesome drop shot.
Korda was stuck to the baseline (more toward the ad side) and he is a lefty.
after the drop shot landed, the ball spun away from the court, into the doubles lane.
so if Korda did attempted to get it, he would have to really hard time returing it once he got to it as he is a lefty. if he was a righty and had the speed, he would have a better chance.
since he didn't try, end of that comment.

whether it was luck or skill, Pete still won the fine point.

Roger is Boring
05-04-2007, 01:30 PM
saw it. pistol pete is still amazing

Ballmachine
05-04-2007, 03:00 PM
I was there live last night, and Pete turned back the clock. He was serving first and second serves with amazing speed and placement. Same exact motion on first and second serves! I think Korda only had one break point in the match, but Pete saved it and never gave him another chance.

Also, Pete was hitting his backhand really well, even topping most serve returns! His running forehand was still there, and his net play was beautiful to watch. He was running on all 4 cylinders baby! Funny side note: I got there early at about 6pm and Pete was practicing with Tim Mayotte. Pete was just getting loose, hitting some serves. Then, Jim Courier comes over the loudspeaker and says: Ladies and Gentleman, Pistol Pete still has it. It was very funny.

Pete said that he trained for a couple of months before the event, and it showed. He could come back right now, and do major damage at Wimbledon. This is not the first time I have seen Pete live, so believe me when I tell you he was on last night.

True, Korda is not one of the current top players, but he is no slouch. Funny thing is that he didn't even play poorly last night, Pete just hit his groove. I was yelling and screaming like a maniac for Pistol Pete! I drove up to Boston from NY so I could be there for Pete's first tournament match since his 2002 US Open victory over Andre Agassi.

It was a great time!

SB
05-04-2007, 03:37 PM
THe Mayotte-Sampras match is starting now on Altitude in Colorado ... channel 25 on Comcast where I am (Littleton).

Edit: Mayotte looks like a lamb being led to slaughter here in the warmup....

SB
05-04-2007, 03:42 PM
Mayotte looks like Dan Aykroyd. It's freaking me out.

tangerine
05-04-2007, 03:55 PM
For other New Yorkers here, they are showing these matches on the SNY channel (60).

goober
05-04-2007, 08:53 PM
Directv has been showing the champions cup if you have the sports package. I just watch JMac and korda.

teedub
05-04-2007, 09:18 PM
Directv has been showing the champions cup if you have the sports package. I just watch JMac and korda.

what channel?

stormholloway
05-04-2007, 10:03 PM
I don't see the highlights on that link. I see some interviews but that's it.

goober
05-04-2007, 10:45 PM
what channel?
The one I watched it on was 644.

unkast
05-04-2007, 11:01 PM
For other New Yorkers here, they are showing these matches on the SNY channel (60).

Is that Cablevision?

For Time Warner.. SNY is ch. 26 (the Mets station, right?) and I don't see tennis in the listings. Any idea if I'm mistaken?

edit
just saw the schedule.. http://www.championsseriestennis.com/boston2007/index.php?page=tv looks like SNY only showed live for one night.
5.4.07 6:30PM 2007 Champions Cup Tennis Matches from Session 2 SportsNet NY 2.5 hours
5.8.07 7:30PM 2007 Champions Cup Tennis Matches from Session 3 SportsNet NY 2 hours
5.10.07 7:00PM 2007 Champions Cup Tennis Matches from Session 4 SportsNet NY 3 hours
5.11.07 3:00PM 2007 Champions Cup Tennis Matches from Session 5 SportsNet NY 2 hours
5.13.07 1:00PM 2007 Champions Cup Tennis Matches from Session 6 SportsNet NY 2.5 hours
5.13.07 3:30PM 2007 Champions Cup Tennis Matches from Session 7

unkast
05-04-2007, 11:07 PM
Also..
I saw Pete live at WTT last summer vs. Alex Bogomolov, and even though he won there too, it was nothing like seeing him live this time.

Not only was Pete hitting huge serves and backing them up at net, but his groundies left me amazed. TBH, I think the fast indoor surface makes Sampras pretty unbeatable.. Courier had a really tight first set (best match so far) with Pat Cash, who was serving well too.

pj80
05-04-2007, 11:42 PM
lol hes from littleton...

spadesss
05-05-2007, 04:13 AM
i was at the Thurday night matches as well.
once again pete crushed his opponent, tim.

i want to note that korda's left upper thigh appears to be wrapped.
his shorts are concealing it. but some of the white wrap did showed up a bit, slightly below his shorts. i did not noticed this on Wed night (him vs pete). however, before the match thur vs Mc, he was limping a bit in between points.
i think they couldn't find a replacement so he played. Wilander was replaced already by Tim.

korda won the 1st set in tie breaker 7-5 v MC. had to leave after the 1st set :(.
so good stuff there.

ilovecarlos
05-05-2007, 06:28 AM
Yeah, well it got really really ugly after you left. Mac squandered a break of serve and Korda came back in the second set...we were treated to a Mac attack of the worst variety...he did end up winning the second set and the tie breaker but jeez...the chair wanted to throw him out because he slapped a ball at Korda...the tournament ref had to come out and explain to him (the chair ump) that he had to give code violations, warnings, point penalties before he could eject Mac from the game...I'm a fan of Mac's playing...he's still got the best hands in the game, and his temper usually doesn't bother me but this time his profanity and yelling at the chair was just so intense and so ugly...am interested in seeing how he behaves when playing Sampras today.

ilovecarlos
05-05-2007, 06:31 AM

It's being broadcast on comcast sports...if you get it...good luck

TheNatural
05-05-2007, 06:50 AM
What a nutcase.

Yeah, well it got really really ugly after you left. Mac squandered a break of serve and Korda came back in the second set...we were treated to a Mac attack of the worst variety...he did end up winning the second set and the tie breaker but jeez...the chair wanted to throw him out because he slapped a ball at Korda...the tournament ref had to come out and explain to him (the chair ump) that he had to give code violations, warnings, point penalties before he could eject Mac from the game...I'm a fan of Mac's playing...he's still got the best hands in the game, and his temper usually doesn't bother me but this time his profanity and yelling at the chair was just so intense and so ugly...am interested in seeing how he behaves when playing Sampras today.

laurie
05-05-2007, 07:52 AM
on the drop shot.
Korda hit a FH and then Sampras made that awesome drop shot.
Korda was stuck to the baseline (more toward the ad side) and he is a lefty.
after the drop shot landed, the ball spun away from the court, into the doubles lane.
so if Korda did attempted to get it, he would have to really hard time returing it once he got to it as he is a lefty. if he was a righty and had the speed, he would have a better chance.
since he didn't try, end of that comment.

whether it was luck or skill, Pete still won the fine point.

I saw the highlights. He did the exact same shot in the 1999 Cincinatti semifinal against Agassi and won the point then as well. I've had that match on my website and will bring that match back in the summer because it was one of Sampras' best performances - he intentionally humilaited Agassi in the second set with unbelievable play.

In that match, Agassi hit a great return down at Sampras' feet, Sampras looped it high so Agassi ran to the net, but when the ball hit the deck, the ball actually spun back so Agassi had to try and flick and dumped it in to the net, Agassi wasn't pleased! Because it looped high he thought he had a chance, but the backspin fooled him!

In the second set of that match, Sampras played the ball on the other side of the net and watched as the ballboy tried to get it, then the ball bounced back on his his side of the net fooling the ballboy! The crowd really loved that moment.

Mick
05-05-2007, 08:02 AM
serve-and-volley tennis is back ! :)

Andres
05-05-2007, 08:11 AM
Sampras did make a backspin diving dropvolley in that exo against Ginepri, and the ball bounced back to his side of the net. Priceless. Ginepri's face running to get the ball, simply to see he can't make it, THAT was a Kodac Moment. :D

goober
05-05-2007, 11:32 AM
Watching Tim Mayotte vs korda now. Mayotte looks totally outclassed out there. I am actually surprise he is even in this thing since he is not in the class of the other players in the field.

SB
05-05-2007, 12:46 PM
Watching Tim Mayotte vs korda now. Mayotte looks totally outclassed out there. I am actually surprise he is even in this thing since he is not in the class of the other players in the field.

I think they said he was a last-minute substitute for Wilander.

unkast
05-05-2007, 01:23 PM
Yea Wilander pulled his back at a Pro-Am a couple days ago and Mayotte was local and showed up with 24 HRS NOTICE to face McEnroe followed by Pete. lol..

goober
05-05-2007, 02:13 PM
Yea Wilander pulled his back at a Pro-Am a couple days ago and Mayotte was local and showed up with 24 HRS NOTICE to face McEnroe followed by Pete. lol..

Well he did a pretty good job then. He had a gut and didn't move to well but he has a very nice net game.

CEvertFan
05-05-2007, 04:47 PM
Mayotte was a decent serve and volleyer in his prime.

danno
05-05-2007, 10:44 PM
Does anyone know what racquet Pete is using now? It looks like the Wilson nCode Tour 90. Someone said it was a k90 but I doubt it. Whatever it is he gets great pop off the backhand wing.

shindemac
05-06-2007, 07:33 AM
O MY GOD. Is it even fair for Pistol Pete to be serving in the 130s against these old timers?!?!

Korda, "I couldn't see it. I'm too old and slow."

I have a feeling he's gonna be winning a lot of champion's cups.

goober
05-06-2007, 07:43 AM
O MY GOD. Is it even fair for Pistol Pete to be serving in the 130s against these old timers?!?!

Korda, "I couldn't see it. I'm too old and slow."

I have a feeling he's gonna be winning a lot of champion's cups.
yeah Pete's serve is just as good as when he was on the tour. He is just slower and the rest of his game is not as crisp. But I would be surprised if he gets serve ever gets broken other than a couple fluke games here and there. Courier has the best chance IMO.

jlambertou
05-06-2007, 03:31 PM
How old do you have to be to compete in those Champions Cup events? Is there any chance Pete would consider going back on the ATP tour for a year or two? From what he says, it seems he would never do that unless he was completely sure of success.

goober
05-06-2007, 03:48 PM
How old do you have to be to compete in those Champions Cup events? Is there any chance Pete would consider going back on the ATP tour for a year or two? From what he says, it seems he would never do that unless he was completely sure of success.

30 years old.

here's there other criteria:

a top 5 singles ranking, been a Grand Slam singles finalist or a singles player on a Championship Davis Cup team during their ATP Tour playing careers. Outback Champions Series tournaments are allowed one wildcard player of their choice.

chance Pete going back on the tour- extremely unlikely.

CEvertFan
05-06-2007, 03:54 PM

He has repeatedly said he will never play on the regular tour again. I for one seriously doubt that he ever will.

hyperwarrior
05-06-2007, 08:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmLQYKzJNHE

nyc
05-06-2007, 08:34 PM
the serve is still there... the hair, not so much....

psamp14
05-06-2007, 09:22 PM
sampras still has most of his game....he's not going to come back to the tour, but he'll likely stick with the champions tour and have fun on the side with exhibitions/charity events..etc

his serve is still there, so are his strokes...he's just slower obviously because of age and being out of the sport for 3 years...it'd be nice to see him do events with agassi in the future

PrinceO3TourOS
05-06-2007, 09:43 PM
He is a great champion, one of the best GOAT tennis players :D

Kaptain Karl
05-10-2007, 09:02 AM
I kept forgetting to ask you guys....

I didn't follow tennis much when Cash was doing well, so I don't know much about him ... and I don't remember what I noticed in his and Martin's serves.... It seemed "odd" to me how both Cash's and Martin's Service Stances were so ... square to their targets. (Their bodies' mid-lines were almost squarely facing their target in the Service Boxes.)

I know Martin had back problems, but did Cash always serve that way?

- KK