PDA

View Full Version : New York Junior Tennis League

thefan
05-03-2007, 07:09 PM
Anyone join this program before? Think it worth giving it a try?
website here: http://www.nyjtl.org/about/index.html

p0w3r
05-03-2007, 08:36 PM
i went once or twice in the winter since they had free indoor courts early in the morning.

not really worth it except for the free court time. The coaches there arent that good...many i would say top out at 4.5. There were no good players there...theres one or two that i end up hitting with that were good, but in the end we all stopped going since there was not enough incentive to get up so early in the morning.

NebAce1
05-04-2007, 06:02 AM
It seems pretty good. I've played a couple of tourneys there and they were ok.

thefan
05-04-2007, 04:52 PM
Is this better or USTA TEAM TENNIS JR.?

mrmo1115
05-05-2007, 03:57 PM
the nyjtl holds several junior tournaments as well unfort. mostly are L2 regionals.. they hold one sectional for the 14's once a year and the mayor's cup

those are the two biggest tourneys of the year for them

mrmo1115
05-05-2007, 03:58 PM
plus there head pro left them gus alcayaga he is now over at the west side tennis club b/c he lives near forest hills

GUGA410
08-16-2007, 09:12 PM
I was involved with NYJTL for many years. Gus Alcayaga was the Director of Tennis and then became the Head Pro until deciding to leave NYJTL. However he did not leave because he lives close to West Side Tennis Club but he left because they NYJTL management was not willing to change their philosophy when it came to a High Performance program. The program has since declined and they fired his replacement Director of Tennis Ron McKenzie and they hired another former NYJTL staff Pro Ron Nano? Gus is at West Side Tennis Club running their High Performance Program with players like Asika Isoh, RJ Del Nunzio, Manoli Segouros, Taylor Craybill, Filip Marjovic, Dyllan Healy, Jesse Smith, Nick Zikos, Julia Xu, Stacey Lopez, Katarina Kovacevic, Ariana Rodriguez, Stephanie Lineva and the list goes on...... Many players who went to USTA have switched over to West Side Tennis Club. I hope to get in this winter they give out scholarships to ranked players so i might have a chance. NYJTL is great for RECREATIONAL PLAYERS but that's where it ends. FREE tennis and BAD COACHING STAFF, they HOST many Tournaments which they also mess up on constantly what do you expect from a NON PROFIT DON'T CARE ORGANIZATION. Oh by the way After Gus left, withr extreme pressure from parents their President Skip Hartman Stepped down(RESIGNED) and the Executive Director Bill Wiese who was Gus' boss was DEMOTED. Now they're trying to do what Gus wanted to do with the Advanced Training Program but they wont be successful all the players left and they have the same bad coaches...............

NebAce1
08-17-2007, 12:45 PM
I was involved with NYJTL for many years. Gus Alcayaga was the Director of Tennis and then became the Head Pro until deciding to leave NYJTL. However he did not leave because he lives close to West Side Tennis Club but he left because they NYJTL management was not willing to change their philosophy when it came to a High Performance program. The program has since declined and they fired his replacement Director of Tennis Ron McKenzie and they hired another former NYJTL staff Pro Ron Nano? Gus is at West Side Tennis Club running their High Performance Program with players like Asika Isoh, RJ Del Nunzio, Manoli Segouros, Taylor Craybill, Filip Marjovic, Dyllan Healy, Jesse Smith, Nick Zikos, Julia Xu, Stacey Lopez, Katarina Kovacevic, Ariana Rodriguez, Stephanie Lineva and the list goes on...... Many players who went to USTA have switched over to West Side Tennis Club. I hope to get in this winter they give out scholarships to ranked players so i might have a chance. NYJTL is great for RECREATIONAL PLAYERS but that's where it ends. FREE tennis and BAD COACHING STAFF, they HOST many Tournaments which they also mess up on constantly what do you expect from a NON PROFIT DON'T CARE ORGANIZATION. Oh by the way After Gus left, withr extreme pressure from parents their President Skip Hartman Stepped down(RESIGNED) and the Executive Director Bill Wiese who was Gus' boss was DEMOTED. Now they're trying to do what Gus wanted to do with the Advanced Training Program but they wont be successful all the players left and they have the same bad coaches...............

Yea i heard about this, I know a lot of the kids that now play at West Side.

tennisfa
11-26-2007, 06:17 AM
i used to go to that program after school. it's a really nice program for beginners. but if you're anywhere higher than 4.0, the program is not for you...

acesaces
11-27-2007, 04:23 PM
Do you mean the program at NYJTL or West Side?

Tom C
11-30-2007, 05:49 AM
Quick side note, The West Side Tennis Club is looking for a new Director of Tennis. Also, Asika has been seen at The Bronx International on a few occasions and Arian is training in Brooklyn on a regular basis.

Tom C
11-30-2007, 05:49 AM
I meant Ariana not Arian.

GUGA410
12-07-2007, 01:32 AM
:):oops::mad::|

mrmo1115
12-23-2007, 07:58 AM
lol i used to go to west side

and me and rj always chilled out lol

i dont like the courts tho... i'd rather practice on hard..

NebAce1
12-23-2007, 05:38 PM
lol i used to go to west side

and me and rj always chilled out lol

i dont like the courts tho... i'd rather practice on hard..

when did u play at west side?

mrmo1115
12-23-2007, 06:39 PM
oh a while back

cant really remember a time when i was last there

but it was when i was in the middle of 12s.... i wasted alot of time/practice and could have been more highly ranked if it hadn't been for the coach i didn't like there , richard handy

icravedukkbokki
01-01-2008, 08:49 AM
i went to the winter season last year. i live right down the block but i can never wake up to go this year and it gets so freaken COLD in there