PDA

View Full Version : Should I practice with bigger, heavier balls?

Golden Retriever
09-18-2004, 12:44 PM
I am surprised that the balls on the market today are actually quite different from each other in terms of size and weight. If I practice with bigger and heavier balls would that improve my game? I mean if I start serving aces with a heavier ball imagine what I can do with a lighter one.

Ben42
09-18-2004, 07:34 PM
It would probably make it harder to run.

Exxion
09-18-2004, 07:54 PM
I think it would be hard to switch between heavy and light balls (if the difference is big enough to notice). Its sort of like switching between a players racket and a power racket right? If you played with a players racket just to train your muscles, woudln't you overhit a lot with a power racket?

nyu
09-18-2004, 11:55 PM
I don't think it's a good idea. Hitting with heavier balls will mess with your timing and you will start to become late with normal tennis balls.

Golden Retriever
09-19-2004, 12:21 PM
It would probably make it harder to run.
I have had this problem for all my life but my 'other' performance more than made up for it.

skuludo
09-19-2004, 09:11 PM
Exxion Posted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:54 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think it would be hard to switch between heavy and light balls (if the difference is big enough to notice). Its sort of like switching between a players racket and a power racket right? If you played with a players racket just to train your muscles, woudln't you overhit a lot with a power racket?

I play with a players racket with lead tape. My Yonex MP tour 1 14+ ounces. I tried a light power racket and I can easily land my shots in. In fact the control was better than my heavy MP tour 1; however, all my shots were much slower than my MP tour 1. A racket has loads of power when its heavy and if you swing as fast as the lighter one.

Are you talking about oversize balls?