PDA

View Full Version : how much is considered one point?

2slow
05-03-2007, 10:52 PM
i was wonder how much lead would i have to add one end of a racquet to be considered a point, like if i added a certain amount of lead tape to the head how much until i lost a point of headlight?

lethalfang
05-03-2007, 11:42 PM
depends on 2 things: 1) the length of the racquet; 2) the weight distribution of the racquet (information containing the original balance point).

Bottle Rocket
05-03-2007, 11:51 PM
From the TW Learning Center-->

Balance: Static measure of weight distribution in a racquet and measured from the butt end in inches and/or centimeters. Commonly referenced in "points" head light or head heavy - each "point" represents 1/8 inch. Generally speaking, heavier racquets are head light to maintain maneuverability, while most of today's super-light racquets are head heavy to supply enough mass (which translates into power) to the area of the frame where the ball is being contacted. A 27 inch racquet with a balance point of 12-1/2 inches is 1 inch, or 8 points head light (even balance would be 13-1/2 inches). A 28 inch racquet with a balance point of 15 inches is 1 inch (or 8 points) head heavy. Static balance ultimately affects swingweight (see below), which is a dynamic measure of racquet maneuverability.

I am sure someone here has done the calculation or measurement for a certain amount of lead at the tip of a 27 inch racket and they might see this, but I haven't. Just find the balance point of your racket, make a small measurement, and you're good. The change in balance for each increment of weight added is linear so you can get a good idea with a few measurements.

FitzRoy
05-04-2007, 02:07 AM
As stated by others, it will vary depending on the racquet's weight and length. For instance, the heavier the racquet, the more weight you'd need to raise the balance by a full point (1/8 inch). For most frames though, it should be about 3 grams at the tip. It will also raise the swingweight by about 10. This is for a standard length frame.

BruceG
05-06-2007, 10:48 PM
On the Racquet Research site they've got a chart that shows how much weight is needed to change the balance down from 8pts HL to 2pts HL. According to them it takes 20 grams to make the change. That's roughly 3.333 grams - close to what FitzRoy said.

http://www.racquetresearch.com/balancetip.htm

So I assume it works both ways and if I want to increase the balance on my 12oz POG OS from 4pts HL to 9-10pts HL then I would need to add between 17 and 20 grams to the very end of the racquet????

Is that correct or am I just getting things mixed up?

FitzRoy
05-06-2007, 10:51 PM
On the Racquet Research site they've got a chart that shows how much weight is needed to change the balance down from 8pts HL to 2pts HL. According to them it takes 20 grams to make the change. That's roughly 3.333 grams - close to what FitzRoy said.

http://www.racquetresearch.com/balancetip.htm

So I assume it works both ways and if I want to increase the balance on my 12oz POG OS from 4pts HL to 9-10pts HL then I would need to add between 17 and 20 grams to the very end of the racquet????

Is that correct or am I just getting things mixed up?

Bruce, your math on adding weight to the handle looks right to me. I'd estimate 18 grams to go from ~4 pts HL to ~9 pts HL on a 12oz frame.

2slow
05-12-2007, 12:17 AM
Thanks for all your help, I was adding lead on my RDS 003 which is 27.25. I ened up adding 20 grams total on 3 and 9 o clock position. I dont have a balance board so I am gonna go ahead and estimate that it is around evenly balanced since every 3 grams is about one point for a standard racquet.