PDA

View Full Version : Tension

Serve em Up
05-04-2007, 04:54 AM
I play a Head LM4. I'm a 3.5. I take a big cut at the ball and play with a lot of topspin. I like to come to net.

I have my LM4 strung all of the way to top of recommended tension. 62 lbs with NXT.

If I want a more control oriented stick, should I move up to a sligtly more controlled tweener, maybe a radical, or should I go to a real control oriented stick and just have it strung at the low end of the tension scales.

I also want something with a little more heft.

General question is for any given level of power

Higher Powered frame strung tight for more control

or

Lower powered frame strung looser for more power.

Any thoughts...

Thomas Bird-Itch
05-04-2007, 06:15 AM
String your LM4 with poly instead of a multi or use a thicker string. You'll have more control. The same gauge poly would also increase the swingweight slightly since it's the heaviest material = heft.

For the second question, that's something you'll have to experiement with. I've asked the same thing before and there isn't a right or wrong, just preference. What you don't want to end up with is a frame that's too low powered or one that has too much power. You can only string SOOO tight or lose before it plays like a board or a net.

fuzz nation
05-04-2007, 07:55 AM
I'd actually recommend a solid core syn gut before trying poly. I avoid multifiber string in my stiffer frame because it's too lively for me unless it's strung at crazy high tension and a couple of friends who have tried poly have had arm issues quickly follow.

The issue of finding yourself a control frame means trial and error and I have no experience with your current racquet. I'm usually lost up at net if I don't have a heavy frame to block the ball with, so I'd definately encourage you to try whatever you can and give any demo a longer test drive if you initially like it. I've found that that extra set or half hour of hitting gives me a better chance to settle in and determine if a racquet is too heavy or light for how I want to hit with it.

Although there are exceptions, I've found that racquets work better for me if the string tensions follow the flex ratings: stiff frames/higher tensions, flexible frames/looser tensions.

vinnier6
05-04-2007, 10:06 AM
i would think you are ready for a more control oriented frame, but if you like the frame you are using, then i would try a nice poly like sppp and maybe lead up the frame a little and see what happens...start with the string and try it first then go with some lead...if you are stringing nxt at the upper tension then try the poly at the mid tension...i would think just going to a poly would give you more of what you are looking for....