PDA

View Full Version : Liked Volkl BB 5 - should I try any others?

DC Blues
05-04-2007, 05:23 AM
I'm a 3.5 player using a Head Ti.Heat and found this racquet comfortable with regard to weight, balance and control. Could anyone suggest any comparable racquets with just a tad more power than my Ti.Heat?

I've tried the following racquests so far:

Head Flexpoint Heat - Couldn't discern any benefit over my current racquet.

Head Flexpoint FXP Prestige Team - I liked the idea of the racquet, had some trouble reacting to shots hit hard toward me (just a little heavier than what I'm used to).

Volkl DNX 8 - great control/power balance though my wrist bothered me (heavier than the Ti.Heat).

Volkl DNX V1 - Decent control, didn't feel like the racquet did much for me, felt flat, misshit some backhands (could be me, I usually do pretty well with that shot though).

Head Metallex 2 - Just plain didn't like this one.

Racquets with more power that I've tried:

Dunlop Aerogel 5Hundred - The power was intriguing but I like more control. I wouldn't write this off.

Prince O3 Hybrid Hornet - no control, forget about it.

Should I try the Volkl BB 10?? Thanks. :confused:

NoBadMojo
05-04-2007, 06:13 AM
suggest you give the new DNXCat4 based on what you say and if ok with the cosmetics the DNX Attiva6. i think you would find both to be comfortable for their weight, and give you some controllable power

i'm guessing the specs may be similar, but check them out

Lindros13
05-04-2007, 06:45 AM
I started using the BB10 a few months ago and absolutely love it. The BB10 has more pop than the DNX8 and less power than the V1 Classic. I never tested the DNX V1 but it looks like a similar power level to the V1 Classic, according to the Volkl website. Unfortunately I have never tested the BB5 so I can't give you a direct comparison.

If you liked the BB5, here are things to consider: The BB5 strung weight is listed as 9.7oz. I don't know if this is accurate though because all three of my BB10 racquets weigh 10.3oz (strung, and with one overgrip) yet the Volkl listed specs indicate 10.9oz strung. Regardless, the BB10 will probably be a little heavier than the BB5 but a little less powerful. It is also a half inch longer, so you may not be losing too much power when you compare them. HOWEVER, one of the main reasons why I think the BB10 feels great to me, is that it has a 16x18 (open) string pattern. (the BB5 has 16x19) For me, the 16x18 patttern creates a very spin-friendly shot. I grew up using a Prince CTS Approach 90 which had a 14x18 pattern so perhaps I grew a liking for the open pattern feel.

I used the CTS Approach for about 15 years. I then used the Babolat AeroPro Control for 1 year. And now I'm with the BB10s. I think these will be "keepers" for a while.

Bottom Line: If you have the opportunity, test as many racquets as you can. If you want to try the BB10, great. If not, then find a couple of others that seem of interest and test them. The best way to find the best racquet is based on your own feel and experiences, but of course it's good to solicit ideas to know which to try... I, personally, tested tons of racquets, to satisfy my own curiosities. Regardless, here are the pros/cons that I can pass along about the BB10:

- very easy to hit with good spin
- its easy to stick volleys.
- Good spin on serves. Very good power on serves. (I am able to get more snap on my serves compared to my former Bab APC).
- I like how I can get my 1HB through the shot a little easier than with the APC.
- IMO it's kind of ugly looking, though its ugly eggshape head is not as noticeable as some of the other ugly eggshape Volkls (Volkl users out there may get ****ed with that comment, but hey, I use a Volkl too)
- to me it sort of looks like a beginner's racquet but I finally looked passed that - since it plays great (this was the reason I bought the APC originally over the BB10...I thought the APC was more of a players racquet and a little more demanding, and that I'd mold into a better player. People seem to make these mistakes, and when I realized it, and accepted it, I am happier now than ever).
- I've been stringing looser and looser each new stringjob, and it seems to be feeling even better the lower I go. I started at the high end of the recommended range 60lbs, and I'm now down to 55. I'll probably try looser on my next ones as well. When it was too tight, it felt boardy, but that may have been the string I was using too.
- They're CHEAP!!! Places sell them for 100 bucks. I got one new for 100 strung with any synth gut of my choice, and then another two demos for $45 each! Apparently the BB line is not so popular, or maybe going away. Who knows, I love them though.
- Another poster once wrote something similar to this..., "The BB10 is so easy to hit penetrating, deep shots without too much effort, and balls stay in. If I saw an opponent come on the court with a BB10, I would be worried because I know how easy it is to play without too much effort" I thought that was a pretty interesting comment.

DC Blues
05-05-2007, 07:19 AM
Before checking the Forum, I ordered the BB 10 to demo. I also ordered the following to demo:

Dunlop M-Fil 3Hundred Mid+ (much talked about and cheap).

Head Flexpoint FXP Radical Team (I liked the feel of the Ti.Radical before going with more power in the Heat).

Volkl DNX 7 Attiva Mid+ (specs looked somewhat close to the Heat).

I decided to give a couple of racquets with more control a try since I seem to gravitate toward those. I'll try the DNX 4 if one of these, or the BB5, hasn't won me over. More on this later... Thanks again.

DC Blues
05-10-2007, 08:44 AM
I hit against a wall with these racquets land tried some serves last night. Here are some initial thoughts:

Dunlop MFil 300 - Surprisingly, I think this was my favorite of these four racquets. Weight and balance was good, good control and some power.

Volkl BB 10 - Intrigued by this racquet. Contol and definitely some power with this one. It was a little heavier than the Ti.Heat, maybe the balance was different, and would take a little time to get used to. The frame seemed very stable and comfortable. I'm used to hearing a "pop" when I coonect with my Ti.Heat but you hardly feel or hear anything when you connect with the BB 10. Good power on the serve and forehand.

I plan to hit again with the the above two racquets and see how they perform on real court conditions. Leaning toward the Mfil 300 since I was comfortable with the weight/ balance. I am reading a lot about people customizing this racquet, and that concerns me a little, but if it feels good to me I'll probably go with it anyway.

Head Flex Radical Team - Hit pretty well but third on my list for these four racquets.

Volkl DNX 7 - Good weight and balance but no substance. Didn't do anything for my stroke as far as power or control goes.

Lindros13
05-10-2007, 09:31 AM
I agree that you should try to find a racquet that doesn't require too much customization, if any at all. However, word of caution: you can always add weight to a racquet but you can't take it away... If you add weight, you need to be cognisant of the racquet's balance and it's overall swingweight. Also, it's easier to build up a grip size (with an overgrip or other method) but it's more difficult to reduce a grip size. Just keep those things in mind when you are about to make your final decision.

Strings and tension unfortunately also play a large role in how a racquet feels. Although, it's not like we all have access to a few of the same demo racquets with various string types/tensions. In that regard, you just have to get lucky and find a racquet and its current demo setup that feels good. Also in that regard, you may want to consider getting the same string from the demo that you choose - as your first stringjob. This way, your new racquet will feel similar to the demo that you liked.

Do you know what the BB10 is strung with? Just curious. I've strung my racquets with several kinds of strings over the past couple of months, and I like multis and natural gut the best. (That's probably the case for me with any racquet though).

Those Mfil racquets seem to be pretty popular. I've never tested them though. For some reason, I wasn't fond of Dunlop and never gave them a shot. I wasn't so fond of Volkl either though (since not too many popular pros use it), and look where I ended up! I'm not a pro so it really doesn't matter what brands they use anyway..

Don't be concerned just because a lot of other people customize their Mfil racquets. You don't have to if it feels good in its basic form.

Lastly, it's interesting that the FP Heat didn't do much for you. I read some reviews of the FP Heat and someone else thought that the FP Heat was nothing like the Ti.Heat. Just thought that was interesting.

DC Blues
05-15-2007, 09:41 AM
Thanks for your thoughts about customization, string type/ tension, etc... I've had the chance to hit with these racquets a couple of times and I'm finding the Dunlop Mil 3Hundred to be less forgiving than the Volkl BB 10. I do like the feel (i.e., weight and balance) of the Dunlop better but I'm now leaning toward going with the BB 5 or the BB 10.

About the Flexpoint Heat, I hit with that for a while and found it to have a bouncy feel. Could have been the string tension (I don't know much about strings, only that I've been using Gamma TNT 17 strung at about 61 and I like it). It was a little different than my current racquet but I wasn't sure that there was any or enough benefit to going with the newer version. Also, the Flexpoint Radical did not have enough pop for me.

Real fun trying to choose a new racquet.

Lindros13
05-15-2007, 09:46 AM
Volkl may be coming out with some new 'Becker' series racquets. I've seen some folks mention it on occasion on these boards. I have no idea if they will be upgrades to their current BB line or upgrades to their DNX or other lines. Heck, they could even be entirely new designs. Just thought I'd mention it.

atatu
05-15-2007, 09:55 AM
I've been using the BB 10 for about two years and I really like the frame (well, except for the painjob) I demoed the BB 5 but it had a bit too much power for me and it was a bit stiff. If you like the oversize head and you don't mind using a discontinued frame, look at the Dunlop 300g OS, a very underrated frame, IMO. I'm waiting to see the Dunlop Aerogel 400, which is going to be slightly stiffer than my BB 10, but I've heard good things about it. Have you tried the Head Flexpoint Instinct ?

DC Blues
05-16-2007, 04:58 AM
I'm actually not too keen on the idea of moving up in head size from 102 to 105. However, I don't recall the BB 5 feeling too big. If I get the chance, I'll check out the Dunlop 300 but I'm slowly winding down out of demo mode.

On a tangential note, I played a match last night against a strong team and realized that I probably don't have the leisure to get used to a racquet that doesn't feel comfortable from the start. I'm leaning toward starting with the BB5 then, if I find this to have too much power or not enough control, I could always pick up the BB 10.

chaz_233
05-17-2007, 08:12 AM
I also use a BB5 and I like it. If you're happy with it then that's fine. It's rare to find the one racket that is perfect in every way and for every stroke. I find the BB5 to do everything well and without any major disadvantage.

Django
05-17-2007, 09:50 AM
I'm diggin' the DNX 7 with some lead tape in the throat area -- of the racquet, that is.

DC Blues
05-18-2007, 04:31 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I read a comment on customer feedback (see below) where someone thought the the specs on the BB 5 was actually wrong - that the head size is 102 rather than 105. Is there any truth to that?

Comments: This racquet performs as well as explained in the review, the only thing I see that is not accurate is that the head size is 102 and not 105, not a big deal but it does make a difference. This racquet is great for anyone 3.5-4.5. Nice crisp feel, great touch, and plenty of power.
String type and tension: Prince Lightning XX
Headsize: 102

Lindros13
05-18-2007, 05:20 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I read a comment on customer feedback (see below) where someone thought the the specs on the BB 5 was actually wrong - that the head size is 102 rather than 105. Is there any truth to that?

Comments: This racquet performs as well as explained in the review, the only thing I see that is not accurate is that the head size is 102 and not 105, not a big deal but it does make a difference. This racquet is great for anyone 3.5-4.5. Nice crisp feel, great touch, and plenty of power.
String type and tension: Prince Lightning XX
Headsize: 102

I doubt there's an easy calculation to determine exact headsize, especially since Volkl frames are eggshaped. If it plays well, and you'd be happier to know it is 102, then let me do a quick calculation for you: *^%#&*% (&$*(^*(& )*&%^)*& (*&%)* *^%#$*&$#&$#*^%*&%(*&$^&%$@^%#@*)(^) - OK Yes, I just did a calculation and it is 102!..... And if anyone asks, you can refer them to my calculations herein!

DC Blues
05-18-2007, 05:56 AM
That was actually a question for the guy with the BB 5. But thanks for your response anyway - I get the point.

By the way, I just ordered the BB 5 with Gamma TNT2 17, strung at 58 (the highest recommended tension according the range on the specs). Do know if this racquet would handle 60 or 61 lbs? I usually string my Ti.Heat at @ 61 lbs.

Lindros13
05-18-2007, 07:29 AM
I was just playing around (with the 102 calculation comments) - don't mind me.

I normally stung my former racquets on the higher end of the range, around 60 lbs. When I switched to the BB10, I had it strung at 60 (which is the high end of the range from 50 to 60 for the BB10). I actually did not like it, and ended up cutting it out. I'm now down to 55 lbs and I like it the best, FOR THIS PARTICULAR RACQUET. Use your best judgement on the tension, but keep in mind that if you like it at 60 on the TiHeat, that doesn't necessarily mean you'll like it at 60 lbs on the BB5. You may, you may not....

You could probably go higher than the recommended range, but it may affect your warrantee if it should break or anything like that. I think many people go higher though, regardless.