PDA

View Full Version : I hate mini tennis warm ups!

Ripper
05-04-2007, 09:04 AM
You know, when players on each side stand in the middle of the court and hit lightly back and forth. I have a friend who can't go directly to warming up from the baseline without doing this baby warm up first. I feel like we waste so much time on this. I hate it and I'm not doing it any more for more than 3 minutes :mad:

PS1: I'm thinking I may have posted something similar before; maybe around a year ago. Anyway, I can't find it. So, maybe I didn't.

PS2: Maybe, I should have posted this on "Rants & Raves", but I just remembered I wanted to ask if there was any benefit to starting out a warm up like this? Why can't we just warm up lightly from the baseline? Is this some old school thing?

jmverdugo
05-04-2007, 09:11 AM
I actually like it just to do my strokes on slowmotion and really thinking about the excecution of the strokes as a warm up but 5 min is enough...

JRstriker12
05-04-2007, 09:17 AM
I like the mini warmup. Some close in volleys help me see how my "feel" of the ball is working that day and let me focus on just connecting with the ball before I get to the ground strokes.

I wish I could remember where I read it, but I know I've read a few articles/books that recommend starting off the warm-up this way. I want to say "Winning Ugly" but I can't be 100% sure.

Now, I don't want to do this for 20 mintes, but a few mintues won't hurt.

Lindros13
05-04-2007, 09:17 AM
I'll do it -or- not do it. Either way is fine with me.

I enjoy it though when we switch from your so called 'baby hits' to actual volleys back and forth. This gets your hand-eye coordination moving nice and early, even before you hit your first full groundstroke.

Ripper
05-04-2007, 09:39 AM
Well, pros don't do it and they know more than us. So, there's something to think about.

Lindros13
05-04-2007, 09:44 AM
Well, pros don't do it and they know more than us. So, there's something to think about.

I was thinking that exact thing as I typed my previous reply. This is definitely true. It would be funny to see Rafa and Fed hitting some service box balls back and forth.

boojay
05-04-2007, 09:49 AM
i love mini-tennis and actually, i've been told that the pros DO do it, we just don't see it on TV, but our head pro (who's met his fair share of professional players during his 30 years of teaching), claims that pros spend a reasonable amount of time warming up, starting with mini-tennis.

Pro Staff Pete
05-04-2007, 09:49 AM
I don't mind doing it. It's a good way to have a little conversation with your friend on the other side of the net, without having to raise your voice lol

JRstriker12
05-04-2007, 09:54 AM
I was thinking that exact thing as I typed my previous reply. This is definitely true. It would be funny to see Rafa and Fed hitting some service box balls back and forth.

Pros also do their "real" warm up on the practice courts before they get to the court for thier match, so it's possible, they may do a little of this before they hit the main courts. If they don't, so what? Pros towel off after every point and hit 100+ mph serves. Me, I dont/can't do that.

Check out Rafa, he's already broken a sweat before he gets to the court and does that short warm-up before the game begins.

I say, if you don't like the mini-tennis, don't do it, but you should also be considerate of your opponent, if they want to spend a few minutes of min-tennis. However you are within you rights to say you don't want to mini-tennis for ten mintues straight.

Just imaging if the shoe was on the other foot. Let say you wanted to hit some more overheads, a few more serves, or to make it even more strange, wanted to hit a few lobs in practice, you opponent should cooperate with you within reason.

pmata814
05-04-2007, 09:55 AM
You know, when players on each side stand in the middle of the court and hit lightly back and forth. I have a friend who can't go directly to warming up from the baseline without doing this baby warm up first. I feel like we waste so much time on this. I hate it and I'm not doing it any more for more than 3 minutes :mad:

PS1: I'm thinking I may have posted something similar before; maybe around a year ago. Anyway, I can't find it. So, maybe I didn't.

PS2: Maybe, I should have posted this on "Rants & Raves", but I just remembered I wanted to ask if there was any benefit to starting out a warm up like this? Why can't we just warm up lightly from the baseline? Is this some old school thing?

I hate it because I can't do it. I can never keep the rally going. From the baseline I don't have a problem, but for some reason I can't do it from the service line. I'm always overhitting it. If we're just volleying back and forth I do just fine though. It's the mini-groundstrokes I can't do.

SalvadorVeiga
05-04-2007, 10:18 AM

Of course they dont do it... in public ! Do you think they only warm up that time during the presentations ? C'mon... Usually before a match starts, they already are warmed up from a previous court where they were hitting serves, groundstrokes and so on... I don't know if they actually do it, but there's no reason why they shouldn't... I know some pro juniors and they do it...

SalvadorVeiga
05-04-2007, 10:22 AM
I hate it because I can't do it. I can never keep the rally going. From the baseline I don't have a problem, but for some reason I can't do it from the service line. I'm always overhitting it. If we're just volleying back and forth I do just fine though. It's the mini-groundstrokes I can't do.

That's the purpose of the drill...it helps you control your stroke...you should be able to control it...I do it myself and by the time goes on I start to put more pace into it...it's good to warm up your topspin and to give you the feel

boojay
05-04-2007, 10:24 AM

precisely why you should work on it, it becomes fun once you have absolute control over the ball. nothing like taking a big swipe at the ball, imparting tremendous spin control over the ball, and having it barely clear the net while landing only a meter or two away from the net. also imagine how useful being able to do that would aid you in a match if the occasion arose where you had to hit such a shot? I remember when I first started off playing tennis and hit short easy balls into the net or out--no such problem anymore and part of it is due to mini-tennis.

MHobbit
05-04-2007, 10:32 AM

They can also do more than us. You can't decide your own routine solely based on the pros. You cherry-pick what's good and use it.

I think mini-tennis is okay to start warming up, since it'll get your attention and hand-eye coordination up. Five minutes should be more than enough, however.

KTE89
05-04-2007, 10:34 AM
I used to hate mini tennis too. I thought it was pointless. UNTIL I learned to hit the ball better through hitechtennis.com, tennisplayer, and other sites, I never knew how to hit the ball with a full swing and get it into the boxes. Now I love mini tennis. My "touch" shots are SO much better as well.

Ripper
05-04-2007, 10:34 AM
I can do it. All day long, if I had to. I can tap it over, slice it over, topspin it over, from both sides. Hard, softly, whatever. But I just don't like it. It's, even, worst when there's conversation; I'm not there to talk (at least, until the match is over).

boojay
05-04-2007, 10:41 AM
another reason why mini-tennis is good......injury prevention.

sure you should be doing stretches before and afterwards, but if you're a slacker (like me), even just mini-tennis beforehand does wonders to warm your muscles before hard-hitting baseline shots. I've witnessed on more than one occasion where beginner tennis players start off by blasting balls from the baseline only to pull a muscle and have to sit out for weeks at a time in order to heal when it probably could've been prevented with a mere 5 mins of mini-tennis.

Supernatural_Serve
05-04-2007, 10:42 AM
Besides 3-5 min. of serving, I can't think of a better way to spend 3-5 min. on the court than playing mini-tennis taking full preparation and full follow-through on every ball. Its all about footwork, form, and focusing on the ball.

Also, during a match, I love taking a ball in the midcourt, taking a full wind-up then swinging at half speed rolling over the ball with near perfect form and footwork for a nice soft ball with spin on it that angles off the court in the service box while the opponent is standing on the baseline helpless.

I can thank mini-tennis for that type of control over the ball during a match.

Ronaldo
05-04-2007, 10:44 AM
Try mini-tennis cross-court, even volleys to baseline cross-court, it is more realistic especially for old man dubs. Plus you have far more room, distance.

cak
05-04-2007, 10:58 AM
I've seen the pros play mini tennis on the practice courts both at Wimbleton and at the WTA Bank of the West tournament on the practice court.

Ripper
05-04-2007, 11:03 AM
The problem I'm having is with this guy in particular, concerning the amount of time devoted to this. Over 5 minutes and I'm starting to go crazy in my mind, lol. Lately, what I've been doing is, simply, walking back to the baseline when I'm bored with it.

PS: Oh and I'll only do mini tennis with someone who can do it. There's this other friend I have who can't do it very well, making me run around to keep the ball in play, but want's me to go through this with him, nonetheless... no way!

Ripper
05-04-2007, 11:06 AM
I've seen the pros play mini tennis on the practice courts both at Wimbleton and at the WTA Bank of the West tournament on the practice court.

For how long at a time?

Serve 'em hard
05-04-2007, 11:11 AM
I do mini tennis, stretches, light warm up jogs, general rallying, and other types of warming up before a match. I hate them all. I only do them for injury prevention (and it probably helps get in the swing of things too), but what a big bore anything other than playing points is to me.

In my fantasy world, I would walk onto the court and the very first ball hit by either of us would be a serve to start the match. (I actually did this once with a friend when I was younger and carefree...)

Ripper
05-04-2007, 11:23 AM
I do mini tennis, stretches, light warm up jogs, general rallying, and other types of warming up before a match. I hate them all. I only do them for injury prevention (and it probably helps get in the swing of things too), but what a big bore anything other than playing points is to me.

In my fantasy world, I would walk onto the court and the very first ball hit by either of us would be a serve to start the match. (I actually did this once with a friend when I was younger and carefree...)

Ok, you made your point, but admit it, there's a period of time for doing these things, after which, enough is enough.

kevhen
05-04-2007, 11:30 AM
If you don't like it, don't do it! If my opponent wants to start out this way, I do, but take a step back with each shot so after about 10 shots I am at the baseline.

Serve 'em hard
05-04-2007, 11:59 AM
Ok, you made your point, but admit it, there's a period of time for doing these things, after which, enough is enough.

I wasn't really making much of a point actually... I was serious. I truly hate warming up in any way, and wish I could get right to the game. I love the thrill of competition more than anything -- just hitting balls without points being scored is pretty boring to me.

Cindysphinx
05-04-2007, 12:00 PM

I've seen pros do mini-tennis at Indian Wells. They don't do much of it, and it's the first thing they did, IIRC. During the commercial break, I reckon.

I like 2 minutes of mini-tennis. I like to see whether my opponent has a good stroke, up close and personal. There's no way to fake it in mini-tennis.

If you do it right, it's fun. I try not to miss (quite a challenge!), and to use good knee bend, get as much topspin as possible, full stroke with loop to finish.

Me, I'm happy to skip warming up overheads. If I serve, I feel like I've warmed up the overhead. If I get an overhead 15 minutes into the match, the 2 or 3 I got to hit in warm-up (assuming my opponent can feed them) doesn't help me much. I'd rather use the time on volleys or serves.

cmartin
05-04-2007, 12:08 PM
I do not like it as a warmup neither. If my opponant asks I generally say ok if I can take my overheads during it.

Ronaldo
05-04-2007, 12:09 PM

At least once a week or usually more, I do all those things you hate to do and NEVER play a point. One guy that only plays dubs will sitdown and wait for us to finish warming up. He wants to know if we were preparing for the Championships at Wimbledon.

batakdepores
05-04-2007, 12:26 PM
Guys,

As much as we want to compare our habits to the pros, there are things that we do not see on TV.

Pros most likely hit an hour or two before they compete. We don't.

Pros definitely do light jogging/stretch/warmup in the locker. We don't.

Interestingly enough, most players (3.5s) hit as hard as pros do when "warming up", that means most players hit with too much pace (probably closer to their max) when warming up, not to add those who hit winners. LOL. If we don't hit as hard, then we might find more players omitting mini tennis as a part of a warm up session.

Just my observation.

Serve 'em hard
05-04-2007, 01:15 PM
One guy that only plays dubs will sitdown and wait for us to finish warming up. He wants to know if we were preparing for the Championships at Wimbledon.

My hero......

kylebarendrick
05-04-2007, 01:24 PM
One of the problems with mini tennis is getting both players to agree on what they're trying to do. It always seems like one player wants to take balls out of the air and hit them back above the waist and the other player wants to bounce the ball and hit real strokes. With this in mind, it doesn't usually take me long to get frustrated and want to move to the baseline.

croatian sensation
05-04-2007, 01:42 PM
I love it. That's the only part where I'm actually in control of my shots and the ball goes where I planned it to go :-)

servelefty2233
05-04-2007, 03:33 PM

Actually, the pros DO do it. I saw blake and roddick doing a practice match at the RCA Championships last year and they started off w/ mini tennis for at least 5 minutes

boojay
05-04-2007, 08:41 PM
Actually, the pros DO do it. I saw blake and roddick doing a practice match at the RCA Championships last year and they started off w/ mini tennis for at least 5 minutes

don't copy my "DO do"......

wait, that came out wrong.....

.......so did that

n/m

Swissv2
05-04-2007, 09:19 PM
Pros definately do mini tennis. Why? It is designed to do a few things: warm up your joints/muscles without the intensity of a full hit, helps the players get a "feel" for their strokes with more control (less space to make an error in hitting than the full court), and being closer to the net enables you to get warmed up on net clearance; the closer you are, the more you have to worry about hitting over the net.

Hot Sauce
05-04-2007, 09:20 PM
I only do it if my hitting partner wants to, but I don't really feel the need to. I do find that it helps a little bit.

thejackal
05-04-2007, 10:29 PM
mini-tennis is a lot of fun, at least for me. i really like using extreme angles and working on stroke placement without worrying about power or depth.

i remember seeing some pros (jean-rene lisnard and another french journeyman, dont remember his name) playing mini-tennis on the practice courts in montreal. their touch and movement was amazing to watch

Vision84
05-05-2007, 07:48 AM
Well my D3 college team warms up mini tennis before every practice and match. If I don't do it and go straight to baseline I feel more stiff and my shots go all over the place at first. It is a good way for me to loosen up my muscles and find some rhythm and get my timing together. I only like to do it for a few minutes though. Any longer defeats the purpose for me.

cam2
05-05-2007, 09:40 AM
Mini tennis is usually enjoyed by topspinners and slicers. Flat hitters seem to hate it though.

Fee
05-05-2007, 09:54 AM
I've watched many pro practice sessions and I've never seen them do it at the beginning of practice. The few that I've seen do it have done it at the end as part of drills.

By the way, I hate it too, unless I'm doing it with my coach. Most of the players I hit with can't keep it going and there is no benefit to me of a two stroke rally.

sureshs
05-05-2007, 10:13 AM

It was highly recommended to me by a pro in a recreational clinic. Pros may not need it. And when you say pro's don't do it, do you mean when you see them? They have already warmed up on the practise courts before you see them.

mrmo1115
05-05-2007, 10:16 AM
i usually do the most 5 minutes of mini tennis it would be so boring if you did it for any longer

dave333
05-05-2007, 07:26 PM
Helps you make you see the ball.

If you think its boring, practice swinging hard but loading the ball w/ spin so it stays in.

MordredSJT
05-05-2007, 07:39 PM
Mini tennis is great for developing touch and working on your footwork. If you're just standing around taking it easy you aren't getting the most out of it. Force yourself to pick your feet up and get moving.

You can also work on a variety of other things while doing mini tennis...controlling spin and speed (most people I see that aren't accustomed to mini tennis lose control of the rally as it progresses because they keep hitting harder until someone loses control of the ball, learning to take pace off is an important skill), being disciplined with your eyes, timing your split step.

If you are getting bored maybe try actually playing a game of mini tennis. It's actually a great way to work on your touch and learn about using angles.

OrangeOne
05-05-2007, 07:52 PM

Pros do do it. I've seen it in actual with some female players, they walked out and by default headed to the service line.

That's the purpose of the drill...it helps you control your stroke...you should be able to control it...I do it myself and by the time goes on I start to put more pace into it...it's good to warm up your topspin and to give you the feel

Nope, nothing to do with the stroke for me....

As others alluded, for me it's all about muscles and joints. Many of our joints are synovial joints, as they warm up they become lubricated with synovial fluid, and a slow, gentle warm up means your joints get properly 'oiled' before you start using them properly. I find mini-tennis useful, especially if I'm experiencing joint-tenderness or general soreness.

As for those who can't control the ball in mini-tennis.... In my humble opinion you *need* to play it just to build skill. Almost any player of any standard should be able to tap the ball back & fwd from the service line, there are times when such shots (angles, drop-shots, etc) are useful in games.

Oh - and I always start my adult coaching sessions with the students hitting mini-tennis.

lecter255
05-06-2007, 01:52 AM

well they warm up for hours b4 the actual match... and pros are so good hitting a ball would be natural like walking to them, so they can warm up from baseline. you can try playing mini-game where you treat the service line as the baseline, instead of standing within the service line.

Tikiman53
05-06-2007, 10:18 AM
I actually like mini tennis. But as someone has already said, I think it's utterly stupid and pointless when your partner can't keep it in for more than a few shots. I think it's really great to warm up your hand-eye coordination and making good contact.

Rayjuncanayjun
05-07-2007, 05:48 PM
I was the mini tennis champ when i was a kid!