PDA

View Full Version : Nadal Backhand

RafaelRoddick54
05-04-2007, 05:23 PM
I was wondering what grip Nadal uses on his backhand. It looks very extreme and looks like he gets a lot of spin.

andymac1
05-04-2007, 10:46 PM
Yes, his backhand does have an extreme amount of spin, almost as much as his full western forehand. Basically he's the only pro who can really pull off a full on Western grip during a match as it isn't very versatile but he somehow can do it. His left hand on his backhand is basically Western too which accounts for the spin on his backhand.

Andrew
05-05-2007, 06:12 AM
Being right-handed also probably helps.

My friend went to Cincinatti last year and saw Nadal play, and he said when he hits the backhand it's pretty obvious that he's right handed since he gets extremely fast racket head speed.

jasoncho92
05-05-2007, 07:18 AM
He was right handed but his uncle made him play tennis with his left because his right hand would help with his backhand

topspinmonkey5
08-18-2008, 07:07 PM
left hand western? That doesnt make any sense...It is your upper hand that you change with a 2hbh right?? bottom hand stays continental to my knowledge. Are you saying his right hand is western? if so that would make sense

hamzeh
08-20-2008, 06:09 PM
left hand western? That doesnt make any sense...It is your upper hand that you change with a 2hbh right?? bottom hand stays continental to my knowledge. Are you saying his right hand is western? if so that would make sense

Yeah the right would be a Western.

Vincent Left
08-22-2008, 12:16 AM
Umm... quite confused with the girp, if his left hand stays continental as #5 mentioned, and right hand western, wouldn't it be quite uncomfortable for the arms? Maybe the left should be somewhere SW?

Anyway, I think his DHBH generates less topspin, but more power - just IMO.

Rafael_Nadal_6257
08-22-2008, 01:36 PM
Umm... quite confused with the girp, if his left hand stays continental as #5 mentioned, and right hand western, wouldn't it be quite uncomfortable for the arms? Maybe the left should be somewhere SW?

Anyway, I think his DHBH generates less topspin, but more power - just IMO.

Nadal is a lefty.

If your righty, think of it as your right hand in a continental, and the left hand in western grip.

Then reverse it, and thats basically what Nadal uses.

orangettecoleman
08-23-2008, 11:36 PM
it looks to me like he is using an eastern backhand grip with his bottom hand and a western grip with the top. moya does the same thing and his backhand is horrible, so it's not a guarantee for success.

Ian Stewart
08-25-2008, 07:11 PM
Nadal's backhand is essentially a righty forehand with some help from the left arm, so I would guess his right hand is in a western forehand grip.

Vincent Left
08-25-2008, 09:00 PM
Guys, go google "Nadal, backhand" and see the pictures, I believe he is useing:

Left hand - eastern backhand grip
Right hand - eastern forehand grip

or maybe sometimes "semi-western" replace the "eastern"s above, not possibly western, if he do so, the arms would spread too wide to hit comfortably...

http://l.yimg.com/g/images/spaceball.gif

Vincent Left
08-25-2008, 09:14 PM
Nadal is a lefty.

If your righty, think of it as your right hand in a continental, and the left hand in western grip.

Then reverse it, and thats basically what Nadal uses.

I'm a lefty, to clarify, let's say dominant(bottom) hand in a continental, and the upper hand in a western backhand grip, which is a eastern forehand, that would make sense to me... but am I right about Nadal as mentioned above? Still confused.

Solat
08-25-2008, 09:30 PM
I'm a lefty, to clarify, let's say dominant(bottom) hand in a continental, and the upper hand in a western backhand grip, which is a eastern forehand, that would make sense to me... but am I right about Nadal as mentioned above? Still confused.

no you must consider his R hand to be in a "FH" grip, so he is gripping bevel 5 with his R hand, only think of his L hand as a "BH" grip