PDA

View Full Version : Wilson nBlade

ilian
05-04-2007, 05:42 PM
Talking about feel and all, two days ago I would swear that none of the new racquets offered enough feel, but yesterday I tested the Wilson nBlade and was so surprised that I tried to come up with other factors that may have contributed for the good feeling I had with it... But it was the racquet and it was definitely good. I am one of these players that love old school feeling and I do not like the majority of the new (mid 90s and up) racquets. My old time favorite is the Dunlop MAX 200G and am still to find something that would even come close to it... But yesterday, I was almost blown away by the Wilson nBlade. No, it is not as good as the MAX 200G, but it offers a lot of feeling - more than any other racquet I have ever tried after the MAX 200G. In fact, I liked it so much that I anounced that I was going to switch to it, right after I was done hitting! This has only happened once in my life and that was when I tested the MAX 200G, 17 years ago... The only flaws I recorded with it were that it was a little lighter than I would have liked and that it seems to work better for one-handed backhand than for two-handed one. I am a two-hander...

This made me sign up here and share my experience with you. Now, I have two questions (1) What are your experiences with it and (2) how does it compare to the Kennex Redondo C?

drhopz
05-04-2007, 05:51 PM
One of the most comfortest racket i felt. I haven used a Redondo C. When you hit the sweetspot w/ the Nblade, it feels so good.

RafaelRoddick54
05-04-2007, 05:52 PM
i used to use the nblade but now i switched to the head extreme pro. You should try it. It gives you so much feel on your shots. It is not like any new racquets that are coming out. It is different. I get so much feel on my angle shots.

RafaelRoddick54
05-04-2007, 05:53 PM
I use a rubber band too. It feels so good. I tried playing with a normal dampener after trying the rubber band it felt so bad.

fgs
05-04-2007, 08:23 PM
ilian,
i had a quite similar experience with the blades when demoing last september - i decided almost on the spot that i will switch to them and did about a month later when the tournaments finished for the year. i play the 106 and play a 2hbh. when i demoed i played the 98 and i had no issues with the 2hbh, neither with the 98 nor with my current 106's.
i have not hit with the redondos, so regarding this matter there is nothing for me to comment.

circusmouse
05-04-2007, 09:43 PM
I'm in the same situation. I tried the blade a couple of weeks ago, and I can't get it out of my head. I've hit again with my old racquet, and it made me angry by being so inferior. My current racquet is a tweener, a Prince Hybrid Spectrum MP, which I bought to get back in the game. It gave me the opportunity to focus on the essentials, like footwork and variety, because I could just hit moderately and get power and spin. Within two hours, I felt the blade had re-taught me how to hit groundstrokes. I already had good form, but with the blade, I have to hit well or I don't get results. In particular, the blade forced me to accelerate through contact to produce power, which would create a lot of errors with my old racquet. With the blade, I can produce accurate missiles from the baseline. And, yes, the sweetspot feels so sweet. Personally, I found it easy to hit the sweetspot, and I didn't find mishits to be uncomfortable. You're also right about the ease of hitting one-handed backhands, which is great for me because I use the one hander. It really seems solid through impact on the backhand. I know I should try some other racquets, but I can't stop dreaming about the blade.

paulfreda
05-05-2007, 06:13 AM
The nBlade stiffness spec is 58 for the 98 and 60 for the 106.
Hard to find very many frames rated that flexible.

But my 106 feels quite stiff and solid to me.

jcbailey111
05-07-2007, 09:53 AM
Well...I have tried alot of racket and I mean alot of rackets. Im 32years old and played Division 1 college tennis back in the day and like most i played with the ps 85 (sampras special). When I put my rackets down in 1995 I decided I was burnt out and finished with tennis, unfortunately as the mind ages and the body atrophies somehow you loose those qucik reflex shots. So after more than 10 years of not being on the court and 15-20 ppounds heavier....I decided I needed tennis in my life....Unfortunately the PS hurt my elbow arm and shoulder....not what i used to remember.....so i started trying the new rackets and ended up with the head flexpoint prestige....ended up playing alot of tournaments last year and doing pretty good....but now this year decided i needed something with a little more pop.....so this year I tried Dunlop AG300, Wilson K90, Wilson K team 6.1 95, prince Tour, volkl 9dnx, head extreme pro, among others....I really like the extreme but ended up having worse Arm problems until I tried the Nblade.

This racket is probably the best racket I have tried....really resembling the old history of PS.....great feel great pop. the specs dont really feel flexible and the weight is a little light, but over all my hardest dicision is going to be should i go with the NBLADE 98 or 106......great at net and on the serve.....cant say enough abbut this racket.....

Orly_Yarly
05-07-2007, 10:12 AM
DO we have an nBlade club? I'm sure there will be a lot of followers if we have one.

fgs, you can be the founder!

pow
05-07-2007, 10:54 AM
by the Type C are you referring to the ProKennex Type C Redondo?

I liked the nblade also, I had an experience much like yours, so I own a pair, the racquet felt great compared to everything else I was hitting with. It was not harsh and allowed me to take big swings at a ball without fear of it sailing on me every time. However, I was not getting the stability I wanted in volleys so I gave the Redondo 93/98 a try and was blown away... again. Personally I liked the Redondo 93 better because I have a one handed backhand and the control and stability is unmatched(don't know the effects for a two hander). The Nblade beats other racquets for my backhand but the Redondo 93 was even better because it is stable and has a lot of feel. I liked the volleys because the extra weight gave me more stability. Personally I like the Redondo 93 much better but the downsides are that it is more demanding, you have to take full swings and the extra weight took me about a week to become accustomed to but now the stability is definitely worth the switch.

ilian
05-07-2007, 04:19 PM
by the Type C are you referring to the ProKennex Type C Redondo?

I liked the nblade also, I had an experience much like yours, so I own a pair, the racquet felt great compared to everything else I was hitting with. It was not harsh and allowed me to take big swings at a ball without fear of it sailing on me every time. However, I was not getting the stability I wanted in volleys so I gave the Redondo 93/98 a try and was blown away... again. Personally I liked the Redondo 93 better because I have a one handed backhand and the control and stability is unmatched(don't know the effects for a two hander). The Nblade beats other racquets for my backhand but the Redondo 93 was even better because it is stable and has a lot of feel. I liked the volleys because the extra weight gave me more stability. Personally I like the Redondo 93 much better but the downsides are that it is more demanding, you have to take full swings and the extra weight took me about a week to become accustomed to but now the stability is definitely worth the switch.

I like what I read! To me, the nBlade is very nice, but it is light. I can play with it as it is, but if I had a chance to get it in a heavier version, I would have done it. The reason why I asked about the Redondo Type C is that I saw its stats. It has a flex rating of 56, which compared to the nBlade is 2 points less (more flexible than the 58 point nBlade). That is why I thought that there could be some similarity between the two. I know that this is far from the flex rating DUnlop MAX 200G has (40), but it could be the best choice I have nowadays... I should give it a try.:)

pow
05-07-2007, 04:41 PM
I like what I read! To me, the nBlade is very nice, but it is light. I can play with it as it is, but if I had a chance to get it in a heavier version, I would have done it. The reason why I asked about the Redondo Type C is that I saw its stats. It has a flex rating of 56, which compared to the nBlade is 2 points less (more flexible than the 58 point nBlade). That is why I thought that there could be some similarity between the two. I know that this is far from the flex rating DUnlop MAX 200G has (40), but it could be the best choice I have nowadays... I should give it a try.:)

The Redondo is balanced differently from the nblade also, it's more of an all court racquet in my opinion. I feel much more confident with it at net than I with the nblade. Both are very capable from the baseline, the nblade being a little easier for me because I've been playing with lighter racquets for a longer time. The Redondo is very stable anywhere on the court.

What is the Max 200G made out of?! wow 40 RA.

ilian
05-07-2007, 05:10 PM
The Redondo is balanced differently from the nblade also, it's more of an all court racquet in my opinion. I feel much more confident with it at net than I with the nblade. Both are very capable from the baseline, the nblade being a little easier for me because I've been playing with lighter racquets for a longer time. The Redondo is very stable anywhere on the court.

What is the Max 200G made out of?! wow 40 RA.

THe Dunlop MAX 200G is made out of carbon fiber (graphite) in nylon reinforced plastic, using a technology called injection moulding. For that reason, this racquet, as well as all others made with this technology, acquired rather unusual characteristics, compared to all other racquets available. This racquet was very flexible when under slowly applied pressure (as with the Babolat RDC mashine they use to measure the flex of the racquets), but the faster the pressure is applied to it (the faster one hits), the stiffer it gets. That way, the racquet was very good on touch shots as well as hard play... It is one of the racquets that became legends. It is so comfortable and it produces such a solid shot, as well as vibration dampening, that hitting with another racquet afterwards seems completely out of the question since most all other racquets feel as made of thin sheet metal that vibrates and is not solid at all, and gives you near zero comfort... For that reason, I, as well as many others, claim that it is the best tennis racquet ever made. Too bad that the technology was extremely expensive and when sales slowed down, after all the gimmicky new racquets started comming out, Dunlop had to abandon the technology and thus discontinue the MAX 200G in 1993.

pow
05-07-2007, 06:20 PM
THe Dunlop MAX 200G is made out of carbon fiber (graphite) in reinforced nylon, using a technology called injection moulding. For that reason, this racquet, as well as all others made with this technology, acquired rather unusual characteristics, compared to all other racquets available. This racquet was very flexible when under slowly applied pressure (as with the Babolat RDC mashine they use to measure the flex of the racquets), but the faster the pressure is applied to it (the faster one hits), the stiffer it gets. That way, the racquet was very good on touch shots as well as hard play... It is one of the racquets that became legends. It is so comfortable and it produces such a solid shot, as well as vibration dampening, that hitting with another racquet afterwards seems completely out of the question since most all other racquets feel as made of thin sheet metal that vibrates and is not solid at all, and gives you near zero comfort... For that reason, I, as well as many others, claim that it is the best tennis racquet ever made. Too bad that the technology was extremely expensive and when sales slowed down, after all the gimmicky new racquets started comming out, Dunlop had to abandon the technology and thus discontinue the MAX 200G in 1993.

wow sounds interesting, I think if you're looking for flex, definitely give the nblade and redondos a try. The redondo is hard to find now though, especially the 93 which is the one I really like.

fgs
05-07-2007, 11:39 PM
i can't say anything about the redondo since prokennex is not available here. there are two things i'd like to mention regarding the blades:
- for some people they can be a little bit too light, but i think that this issue can be fixed with some leadtape (i have added some 12g of leadtape and a leather grip to mine)
- some people have trouble with volleys and in my opinion it is a problem of handling the rather high swingweight at the net. they claim the racquet has not much stability, but the problem with stability derives from their hitting late due to the swingweight. in my opinion this stability issue at the net is not a problem of the racquet itself, but rather a problem of some players not being able to move it around fast enough.

jcbailey111
05-08-2007, 06:10 AM
i actually love it at the net...probably think its one of the best rackets for the net.....just hit your volleys out from and it goes where you want it to go...

pow
05-08-2007, 01:10 PM
i actually love it at the net...probably think its one of the best rackets for the net.....just hit your volleys out from and it goes where you want it to go...

It's not the worst racquet, I can volley decently with it but it's just there are much more effective sticks for volleying out there. Best I've used being the Nsix-one 95 and the Redondo 93 above the nblade.

basil J
05-08-2007, 03:28 PM
I agree, the nblade is comfortable, but plays light compared to the Redondo. I have used both Redondos and I am of the smaller majority that prefers the 98". The MP is comfortable, versatile and I can get very good heavy topspin and slice with this racquet with great ease. If you like the Nblade, you would probably love the redondo.

serveitup911
05-10-2007, 07:16 PM
I demoed the nBlade 106 today. I strung it with Polyfibre TCS @ 62/61. My normal racquet is the Dunlop M-Fil 200 Plus.

The Wilson feels like butter, yet is really stable. I was getting a lot of bite from the stringbed for some nice action on groundstrokes and serves. At first, the extra power had me hitting long a lot, but the ease of spin generation allowed me to harness the power by adding spin. I was hitting some really heavy balls. The 106 head made it really hard to miss the comfort zone of the stringbed. Picking up balls off the rise was really easy - I coould take bigger swinga where I would normally have to block the ball back.

Overall, a very interesting racquet that I will give some more demo time. If I continue to like it, I could see myself playing this racquet in the future.

serveitup911
05-14-2007, 12:51 PM
I continue to enjoy the nBlade. I will be switching to it. I played a set with a guy on my team who I usually beat 6-2 or 6-3. This time is was 6-0. I felt like I couldn't miss and my shots had power, spin, and control. The nBlade 106 is a beast for serves and overheads, too.

lilxjohnyy
05-14-2007, 01:31 PM
i dont kno why but when i demoed the nblade i didnt really like it that much. prefered the kfactor 6.1 95.what i did like about the nblade was the name and its pj

fgs
05-14-2007, 01:43 PM
lilxjohnnyy,
i haven't played the k6.1 95 yet, but played the n6.1 95 for a year. it is a different racquet than the blade, and i'd expect the k6.1 95 to be that too. the k6.1 95 being quite some stiffer than the n6.1, i expect it to have some more power than the blade, as it also has a higher static weight. the blade will make up a little bit by the sw, but stiffness is the major difference. they "feel" quite different i would say.

lilxjohnyy
05-14-2007, 01:47 PM
oo ok thanks.... i thought i was just strange cuz everyone seem to love the nblade

lilxjohnyy
05-14-2007, 01:48 PM
oopsss double post

fgs
05-14-2007, 01:58 PM
lilxjohnnyy,
oh yes, i do really love the blades, but the blades are, due to the very low stiffness, not everybody's cup of tea. it seems that today, the "mainstream" is having a stiffness rating of around 65-67, and that is nothing bad! if you like that "feel", than just go on and care to develop your game - i have always said that the racquet will make up for not more than 3% of your success - the main part is footwork, coordination, guts, concentration, mental toughness, shot selection, sound biomechanics in stroke production. there is no racquet that plays for you, you play the racquet. the most important thing in respect to racquets is to feel comfortable with it.

fachiru
05-14-2007, 06:39 PM
I'm not a very advanced player, but light (<12oz) did not feel good to me. My Vantage vt001 mids (>12.5 oz) felt solid, but after serving ~150 balls 3-4 times a week, my elbow started to hurt. I'm very fit (20+ miles running/week +some light weights) and even with stretching before every session I was in trouble already. I figured maybe I wasn't strong/capable enuff to handle serving with that heavy racket and still play frequently.

So from a 12.5 oz mid I went straight to the 11.1 oz nBlade OS!
I've had it for 1 week now and I absolutely love it. My elbow pain I had 2 weeks ago it's gone, and I served 100+ balls/day for the last 3 days in a row with no pain. None. Serves are sooo easy with this racket and sooo confortable.

I also hit against the robot for 3 sessions with this racket and it feels just great and not so flexy as it's 60RA seems to indicate (I had a ProKennex type R rated at 58RA and that felt really soft by comparison). Very easy to swing and solid feel on contact. I use no lead and have it strung with a 17g soft multi (klipper) at 56/55. I really love this racket.

Cheers all

tennis_hand
05-14-2007, 06:42 PM
wait for kBlade. LOL.

Alafter
05-14-2007, 07:38 PM
I'm not a very advanced player, but light (<12oz) did not feel good to me. My Vantage vt001 mids (>12.5 oz) felt solid, but after serving ~150 balls 3-4 times a week, my elbow started to hurt. I'm very fit (20+ miles running/week +some light weights) and even with stretching before every session I was in trouble already. I figured maybe I wasn't strong/capable enuff to handle serving with that heavy racket and still play frequently.

So from a 12.5 oz mid I went straight to the 11.1 oz nBlade OS!
I've had it for 1 week now and I absolutely love it. My elbow pain I had 2 weeks ago it's gone, and I served 100+ balls/day for the last 3 days in a row with no pain. None. Serves are sooo easy with this racket and sooo confortable.

I also hit against the robot for 3 sessions with this racket and it feels just great and not so flexy as it's 60RA seems to indicate (I had a ProKennex type R rated at 58RA and that felt really soft by comparison). Very easy to swing and solid feel on contact. I use no lead and have it strung with a 17g soft multi (klipper) at 56/55. I really love this racket.

Cheers all

I love me the nBlade OS as well.

kaztennis
05-14-2007, 10:04 PM
I love the nBlade too. (98). And my current racquet, the FXP Radical Tour.

The_1337
05-15-2007, 03:38 PM
wait for kBlade. LOL.

i emailed wilson about the kblade and marketing doesnt have any plans for it.

tennis_hand
05-15-2007, 05:03 PM
i emailed wilson about the kblade and marketing doesnt have any plans for it.

the strange thing is, nBlade is different from the rest of nCode. but why did Wilson call it a n-something? if nBlade construction is so good, why not use the technology on other models, even the new k range of rackets?

I know nBlade is supposed to take market share from the 98' market which is dominated by Radicals and Babolats.

dacrymn
05-15-2007, 05:25 PM
98 feet? whoa! looks like i have no size perception. haha
________
health store (http://herbalhealthshop.com)