PDA

View Full Version : Head Microgel Extreme Pro

RafaelRoddick54
05-04-2007, 06:59 PM
I was wondering have any of you guys tried the new head microgel extreme pro. I used it and switched to it. It is an amazing racquet, the best i have ever played with. It gives you a lot of spin. Also the thing i like the best is the feel. It is unlike all the new racquets they are coming out with. It actually has a really good feel. I think their microgel technology actually works.

HEADblade
05-04-2007, 07:38 PM
i love it too! haven't lost a set since the switch. have hit a few off the frame since i have been playing with the ol' agassi radical tri since it came out & its somewhat a change. my topspin forehand is even more kille rthan before.

McGee
05-04-2007, 08:05 PM
I'm giving it a good demo period (I am now "post honeymoon" :) ). I like this frame a lot. It is VERY lively but the power seems controllable for me. It definitely serves bombs and is a great baseline and spin frame. I am working on taming it at the net. It seems more maneuverable than its 330+ swingweight. So far it has not caused any arm problems...has anyone else had elbow twinges, etc.? I am giving it another week or so before deciding on it.

edit: I have my demo strung with Livewire 17g @ 58 lbs. What string setups are others using?

thomas_m
05-04-2007, 08:34 PM
edit: I have my demo strung with Livewire 17g @ 58 lbs. What string setups are others using?

In my EP's I've tried:

-hybrid with Hurricane Pro 17 mains, Tonic+ gut crosses @57m/54c
-full Hurricane Pro 17 @54m/52c
-full Luxilon Ace @54m/52c

So far, I've actually like the full Hurricane the best which was very unexpected - the low power helped with hitting out. I think I need to up the tension a bit with the Ace although it was the best serving, lots of kick. I liked the gut hybrid the least which was also very unexpected as it's been my favorite with other racquets.

I may try an Ace/gut hybrid this weekend for grins although I'm guessing it'll be a shortlived combo with 18g poly in the mains.

rooski
05-06-2007, 03:39 PM
I just picked up an Extreme Pro off the for sale boards. I've only hit with it once for about an hour but here are my initial impressions:

I am very suprised to say that I really like this racket so far. It's VERY solid and VERY stable. I've tried rackets like the Pure Drive (not the Roddick version) and just hated them. This is the first 100" (it somehow looks smaller than 100") racket that I have hit with that feels almost as solid as my N6195's. The extra weight on the "Pro" version makes for a great plow thru effect. As you can see below, the EP did everything well for me in this first hitting session.

Mine is strung with Hurricane Tour 16 (full set) at 56lbs. Very crisp. Not sure how my arm will like this string long term but so far it feels fine. Weight with overgrip, 14" head tape, and shock absorber = 12.1 oz. Balance feels (don't have true balance apparatus) the stated 7 pts HL.

I'm early into this little "affair" but here are my ratings so far:

Serves = 9 (great controllable power but not as precise as my N6195's)
Kick serves = 10 (Wow!)
Volleys = 8 (not quite as scalpel like as the n6195 but not far behind)
Slice backhand = 10 (the head shape and weight makes this a thick slice machine)
Topspin FH and 1HBH = 10 (part of it is the strings but overall amazing spin)
Returns = 9 (stands up well to hard serves)
Control = 9 (big suprise)
Power = 10 (controllable with these strings)
Dropshot feel = 9 (dramatically better feel than the numb woofer PD)
Manueverability = 8 (not as quick as my current racket but pretty quick)
Stability = 9
Comfort = 8 (not plush but comfortable)
Looks = 8 (I'm getting used to the bright yellow color and the unusual head shape but I kind of like both)
Grip comments: Classic Head shaped grip, still feels smaller than stated size

TennisandMusic
05-06-2007, 04:26 PM
I just picked up an Extreme Pro off the for sale boards. I've only hit with it once for about an hour but here are my initial impressions:

I am very suprised to say that I really like this racket so far. It's VERY solid and VERY stable. I've tried rackets like the Pure Drive (not the Roddick version) and just hated them. This is the first 100" (it somehow looks smaller than 100") racket that I have hit with that feels almost as solid as my N6195's. The extra weight on the "Pro" version makes for a great plow thru effect. As you can see below, the EP did everything well for me in this first hitting session.

Mine is strung with Hurricane Tour 16 (full set) at 56lbs. Very crisp. Not sure how my arm will like this string long term but so far it feels fine. Weight with overgrip, 14" head tape, and shock absorber = 12.1 oz. Balance feels (don't have true balance apparatus) the stated 7 pts HL.

I'm early into this little "affair" but here are my ratings so far:

Serves = 9 (great controllable power but not as precise as my N6195's)
Kick serves = 10 (Wow!)
Volleys = 8 (not quite as scalpel like as the n6195 but not far behind)
Slice backhand = 10 (the head shape and weight makes this a thick slice machine)
Topspin FH and 1HBH = 10 (part of it is the strings but overall amazing spin)
Returns = 9 (stands up well to hard serves)
Control = 9 (big suprise)
Power = 10 (controllable with these strings)
Dropshot feel = 9 (dramatically better feel than the numb woofer PD)
Manueverability = 8 (not as quick as my current racket but pretty quick)
Stability = 9
Comfort = 8 (not plush but comfortable)
Looks = 8 (I'm getting used to the bright yellow color and the unusual head shape but I kind of like both)
Grip comments: Classic Head shaped grip, still feels smaller than stated size

Hey Rooski. I'm glad you liked it. Your review pretty much sums up how I felt about it, but the grip shape gave my pinky trigger finger. :-( It really is a great racquet though and the hurricane tour seems to be a nice fit both playability wise and visually. ;)

rooski
05-06-2007, 05:02 PM
It's funny...I hear people talking about how they dislike Head grips but I can go back and forth between Wilson and Head with no problem. They feel fine once you adjust for the fact that they run small. I particularly like Head grips for semi western FH's

As I said, so far I like the PE but time will tell if it finds a more permanent home in my bag ;)

RafaN RichardG
05-06-2007, 07:42 PM
lol im glad to hear these good reviews, i just bought two without even testing them..not usaully what i do, but by the reviews on TW and here int eh forums i figured it fit my style

John Galt
05-06-2007, 08:19 PM
rooski nice review! My experiences are very similar and after three years with the VE10MP from Volkl I have switched to the Extreme Pro. The biggest plus for me is the return of serve with this stick. Good size sweet spot and nice control equals some consistent and effective returns. That has helped my game. Also the spin serve capability was huge. This is a nice stick and I think it will be very popular to some all court players. I also do not have a problem with the grip shape..never have. I can switch between Wilson/Prince/Dunlop/Head without a problem. The sizes might differ but the shapes do not present an issue. Best of luck!

nhstennis
05-06-2007, 08:26 PM
is this stick somewhat similar to the radical tour frames (FXP)??

thomas_m
05-06-2007, 10:47 PM
is this stick somewhat similar to the radical tour frames (FXP)??

No, it not really like anything in the currrent Head lineup. The FXP Radical Tour is heavy and flexy. The MEP is slightly less heavy and stiff.

The closest is probably the PD Roddick but the Head isn't quite so stiff. I prefer the feel of the MEP to the PDR although I don't think either will be considered 'touch racquets'.

T.

ximian
05-06-2007, 11:05 PM
The only thing I'm really concerned about with this stick is the stiffness. Anyone with a history of TE tested the frame? What are your thoughts?

rooski
05-07-2007, 05:11 AM
The only thing I'm really concerned about with this stick is the stiffness. Anyone with a history of TE tested the frame? What are your thoughts?
I'll let you know in a few weeks :)

paulfreda
05-07-2007, 05:18 AM
Balance feels (don't have true balance apparatus) the stated 7 pts HL.

You do not need an apparatus for measuring balance.
Find a table, preferably with a sharp edge rather than a sculpted wood dinner table. Place the frame on it with strings on table.
Move it until it balances and then measure from the butt to the balance point.
For a 27 inch frame if it comes out at 13.5 inches, you have even balance.
If the number is smaller, it is head light by 1 point for each 1/8th inch.

-----------
I hit with the EP the other day, just groundies.
It was stock with no setup or lead at all.
It played all right, very crisp and relatively stable.
But at times it felt harsh.
Plenty of power for sure.
Felt alot like the PD Team I had hit a few days before.
It feels lighter than its spec IMO.
I liked the bright yellow and would like to find a 100 sq inch
frame even tho I am totally in love with my nC6195s.

grass_hopper
05-07-2007, 06:38 AM
People who play with PD versions should give this racquet a try, much more arm friendly and better feel but with same power. some one needs a new sign on name(raffealroddick54) using Head racquet!

rooski
05-07-2007, 09:18 AM
You do not need an apparatus for measuring balance.
Find a table, preferably with a sharp edge rather than a sculpted wood dinner table. Place the frame on it with strings on table.
Move it until it balances and then measure from the butt to the balance point.
For a 27 inch frame if it comes out at 13.5 inches, you have even balance.
If the number is smaller, it is head light by 1 point for each 1/8th inch.

-----------
I hit with the EP the other day, just groundies.
It was stock with no setup or lead at all.
It played all right, very crisp and relatively stable.
But at times it felt harsh.
Plenty of power for sure.
Felt alot like the PD Team I had hit a few days before.
It feels lighter than its spec IMO.
I liked the bright yellow and would like to find a 100 sq inch
frame even tho I am totally in love with my nC6195s.

I don't think the MEP will replace my N6195's either but this is an interesting frame for those who like heavier frames and are looking for a little more pop. I also agree that compared to my current racket, the MEP is more harsh due to it's stiffness and in my case, all poly strings. However, it is not as harsh as the PD iterations IMO.

! ! ! ! ronakp10
05-07-2007, 03:36 PM
like it but theres better.

McGee
05-07-2007, 03:59 PM
like it but theres better.

LOL, yeah I think pretty much everyone thinks there's a better frame for themselves out there....that is our curse!;)

WhiteSox05CA
05-07-2007, 04:18 PM
I'd say it has a "unique" feel. I personally didn't like it- but I may give it another shot.

Chip n' charge
05-07-2007, 05:01 PM
Head Racquets are the BEST. All of the racquets are geared for different types of players so there is always a Head racquet for someone. For control, the prestige, for power the radical, and for everything, the head microgel pro extreme.

wao
05-07-2007, 05:21 PM
In my EP's I've tried:

-hybrid with Hurricane Pro 17 mains, Tonic+ gut crosses @57m/54c
-full Hurricane Pro 17 @54m/52c
-full Luxilon Ace @54m/52c

So far, I've actually like the full Hurricane the best which was very unexpected - the low power helped with hitting out. I think I need to up the tension a bit with the Ace although it was the best serving, lots of kick. I liked the gut hybrid the least which was also very unexpected as it's been my favorite with other racquets.

I may try an Ace/gut hybrid this weekend for grins although I'm guessing it'll be a shortlived combo with 18g poly in the mains.

Thomas, That is very intresting that you string up the Poly's higher than the gut crosses. Any reason? I just strung mine up with ACE 18 mains and NRG 17 X at 52 - 56. Though next time I will go up a couple of lbs.

thomas_m
05-07-2007, 07:23 PM
Thomas, That is very intresting that you string up the Poly's higher than the gut crosses. Any reason? I just strung mine up with ACE 18 mains and NRG 17 X at 52 - 56. Though next time I will go up a couple of lbs.

LOL, busted... Force of habit and not paying attention to what I was doing...

I usually put the gut in the mains and drop a couple lbs for the poly crosses. I decided to try and dial the power down a bit in this racquet compared to my previous stick (FXP Rad Tour) given the MEP's stiffness so I switched the gut to the crosses. My brain went into overdrive and I strung it the same as when I had the gut in the mains...

I compared an Ace/Tonic+ hybrid to full Ace yesterday. I think I like the full Ace better for everything except serving. However, what I really need to do is pay attention to my crappy strokes and not my excellent strings so I don't get another asswhuppin'.

T.

Fedace
05-08-2007, 08:47 AM
Is Guesquet really using Microgel Pro ? his racket is shaped oval instead of big round which is microgel ? What is going on ? Is this another lie ?

fujitsu77
05-09-2007, 06:35 PM
Is Guesquet really using Microgel Pro ? his racket is shaped oval instead of big round which is microgel ? What is going on ? Is this another lie ?

Gasquet's is a PJ, not a real MEP :-( .

Viper
05-09-2007, 09:20 PM
I like the non-pro version.

Fedace
05-09-2007, 09:35 PM
Gasquet's is a PJ, not a real MEP :-( .

I can't say i blame him. after using that for few hours, Gusquet will have to retire due to arm problems. Liquid metal and intelligence tech was the best ideas Head came up with so far. All the other stupid tech needs to be trashed.

fluffy Beaver
05-09-2007, 09:45 PM
I can't say i blame him. after using that for few hours, Gusquet will have to retire due to arm problems. Liquid metal and intelligence tech was the best ideas Head came up with so far. All the other stupid tech needs to be trashed.

wow, you're such a troll, all you do is go in every thread about the microgel extreme just to bash it. Just because you have bad form and keep hurting your arms doesn't mean others will. Please go away with your denial of being one with stanfords tennis team.

Fedace
05-09-2007, 09:52 PM
wow, you're such a troll, all you do is go in every thread about the microgel extreme just to bash it. Just because you have bad form and keep hurting your arms doesn't mean others will. Please go away with your denial of being one with stanfords tennis team.

FYI, I am not the only one that had Really bad arm problems after using the Microgel Extreme or Extreme pro. I can count literally dozens of people that i know of and also some from this forum that had major arm pain after trying the racket. OK, some of you may have done fine with the racket, but over the long run, i believe you will have problems as well. For your info, i do not have bad form, i have textbook form on all my shots and i was also rated by USTA pro to be roughly 5.0 USTA as recently as 2 years ago.:D

fluffy Beaver
05-09-2007, 09:54 PM
FYI, I am not the only one that had Really bad arm problems after using the Microgel Extreme or Extreme pro. I can count literally dozens of people that i know of and also some from this forum that had major are pain after trying the racket. OK, some of you may have done fine with the racket, but over the long run, i believe you will have problems as well. For your info, i do not have bad form, i have textbook form on all my shots and i was also rated by USTA pro to be roughly 5.0 USTA as recently as 2 years ago.:D

stop your b.sing, refer to your stanfords thread and that you're a 4.0. ANYWAYS, i could care less if you and dozens of others have arm problems from the racquet. That's not the problem i'm refering to, it's that fact you keep going in threads about microgels and that it hurts your arm. How many times do you have to point this out?

I am thinking of suing Head for permanently damaging my elbow. can you be my testimonial witness?;)

I sure hope it doesn't make your arm fall off like the Microgel extreme did me

EXTREME WARNING, I DEMOED HEAD EXTREME MIDSIZE FOR 2 HOURS ON SATURDAY AND NOW MY ELBOW HURT SO BAD THAT I CANNOT EVEN LIFT UP THE PHONE. I AM THINKING OF SEEKING BODILY DAMAGE AGAINST HEAD, WHAT DO YOU THINK ?:mad:

See Lubicic is down a break already, that lousy racket is killing his arm, he cannot even hit a routine groundie.

It is a very good playing racket, only problem is your arm will fall off before the match is over. but i did not use any vib dampner though, still i don't think that would have helped. My elbow right now hurt so bad, i cannot even lift up a full coke can to drink it, i have to use left hand. what does that tell you?

Fedace
05-09-2007, 10:04 PM
^I said in the past, sometime in the past, i did play on the 4.0 USTA team, i can self rate myself as 3.0 if i want to, that is how flawed the USTA rating system is. And also many reviews that was done by this very forum had warned me that the racket is terrible at absorbing vibration but NO, i had to try it for myself and i found out the reviewers on this forum were right.

grass_hopper
05-10-2007, 05:34 AM
Could Guesquet be using New radical Microgel?
usually elbow problems is due to not watching the ball and people tend to rate themselves way too high.

Fedace
05-10-2007, 07:25 AM
Could Guesquet be using New radical Microgel?
usually elbow problems is due to not watching the ball and people tend to rate themselves way too high.

Guesquet is using his old LM Instinct, you can tell by the shape of the racket head.

M J
05-10-2007, 11:07 PM
I used to have arm problems before switching to this racquet.

This is a great frame. Since switching, I have not lost and have beat some pretty good players. The thing has Babolat power and spin with much more feel and control.
I also love the idea of the wider shorter head shape. My mishits always happen perpendicular to the length of the frame, so it totally makes sense to me to stretch the frame that way and make the head shorter for a higher sweetspot.

McGee
05-27-2007, 08:19 PM
OK, after a month with this frame I am hooked ;)

Great power, spin, and SERVICE BOMBS! Its stiffness doesn't lend itself to great feel, but the stick can definitely be controlled. Its a spinmeister. No arm problems and I cannot remember ever hitting better returns of serve. I think HEAD has a winner with this one. The downsides are minimal......not great comfort and possibly too powerful for those used to flexier, low powered frames. But for some reason this racquet works. I may go from a low powered flexy fan to this stiffer more powerful bat. Go figure.

rooski
05-28-2007, 10:49 AM
OK, after a month with this frame I am hooked ;)

Great power, spin, and SERVICE BOMBS! Its stiffness doesn't lend itself to great feel, but the stick can definitely be controlled. Its a spinmeister. No arm problems and I cannot remember ever hitting better returns of serve. I think HEAD has a winner with this one. The downsides are minimal......not great comfort and possibly too powerful for those used to flexier, low powered frames. But for some reason this racquet works. I may go from a low powered flexy fan to this stiffer more powerful bat. Go figure.
I'm not quite hooked...but I know what you are talking about. I still think I "play" better overall with my n6195's but the MEP is a fun frame to use for sure. After 3 weeks playing with this racket (not exclusively), here are some more updated comments on the MEP if anyone is interested:

--As stated above, this is a wicked serving stick. Flat Bombs sound like a gun going off...kick serves are scary good.

--Topspin groundies are very good and heavy. One of my regular playing partners comments that I hit a heavier ball (it's already pretty heavy with the n6195) and that balls he is certain that are going out drop like stones in front of the baseline.

--Backhands are a mixed bag for me with the MEP. Slices are great but topsin crosscourt 1H BH's are not as good as with my normal racket. Part of it is that I am used to very HL rackets and the MEP is only 6pts HL

--Flat shots are good but I need to hit very low to the net to keep them in

--Return of serve is excellent with the MEP. If you are anywhere near the sweetspot when returning hard serves, the MEP can return rockets with proper technique

--Volleys are the MEP's weakness (for me). The 6pt HL balance and 12+ oz overall weight make it a bit sluggish compared to my n6195. Put away angle volleys are nice but in a quick exchange the MEP is a bit slow (although I am getting more used to it).

Overall this is a fine racket... and so far (knocking on wood), no elbow or arm issues even with an all poly string job.

emcee
06-01-2007, 12:16 PM
Eh, I thought this racquet (the Pro version) felt way too light, but my brother's switching to it. I'm still loving my FXP Radical Tour...

nino1991
06-02-2007, 09:09 AM
I just got the demo yesterday and tried it for a few hours, I love it! My current racket is a flexpoint instinct, which I've been using for almost 2 years now, and the huge change in stiffness took wsome time to get used to but once I did i was amazed at the bombs i could hit, alhough i still send some topsin forehands long when i don't put enough spin. Where I was really impressed was when I started serving. I was serving bombs easily and with lots of control on the direction, it's an amazing racket for spin serves too. I plan to switch to this racket soon, it's really amazing, the only little downside for me is the stiffness, but you get used to it. btw i'm a 4.0-4.5 player and would recommend it for players in the same category and who are aggressive baseliners, it's solid on the volley but not even close to the flexpoint.

mileslong
06-02-2007, 10:22 AM
i have been hitting with it mainly for grins as i like lower powered flexy rackets. good serving stick but i have a hard time keeping balls in. not real manuverable for me as i am used to more headlight rackets. im going to give it some more time but right now im not loving it.

herosol
06-02-2007, 10:28 AM
i thot it wasnt bad. im very excited to see how the radical will play with this "microgel" thing they got going on. I used to play with the LM Radical, liked it, flexpoint was alright for me, but im sure this microgel thats coming in the summer will be pretty good.

ClimbK2
06-02-2007, 07:22 PM
Has anyone compared the EP to the PDR? The PDR was very nice for serving, overheads & 1HBH for me (I found the flexier, headlight DNX10MP better for volleying, forehands & elbow comfort). I'm hoping the EP's lower flex would be more to my liking.

nino1991
06-03-2007, 06:46 AM
It's amazing how much your view of a racket can change overnight! I played for a few hours yesterday with the MEP and I got my first tennis elbow! I'm still torn over weather to get the racket or not, because I never hit so many winners or aces as I have in the past 2 days, and the racket suits my baseline style perfectly but I'm worried that I'd get tennis elbow everytime. I also think the tennis elbow might be from mishitting a lot ( I did that quite a bit yesterday lol) because the first time i used it and played well, no arm problems. Does anyone know if the Microgel Extreme is really close to the power style of the Extreme Pro, or is it completely different?

rooski
06-03-2007, 09:15 AM
The MEP does NOT like to be hit off center towards the top of the frame. Shots hit up there don't feel good. Anywhere else is fine. I suspect you had a fair # of mis hits in this area for your arm to be hurting. If that's not the reason then it could be because you are not used to a heavy racket like this with such a high swingweight.

The standard Extreme is just as stiff and with it's lighter weight it absorbs less of the shock than the Pro version.

nino1991
06-03-2007, 12:13 PM
Yeah rooski I think you really nailed it there! I had quite a few mis hits on the top of the frame and I am also used to the FXP Instinct, which feels much lighter! Once again though my opinion has changed on this racket lol I just played with it for 3 hours and had some arm and shoulder pain for the first 30 minutes but aftter I finally got adjusted to the weight of the racket all my pains just dissapeared! I can't remember the last time I played so well, baseline to baseline play was fantastic and my defensive backhand slices never floated like my other racket. I think it's really just a matter of hitting it properly and giving this racket the demo time it deserves to get used to it, I'm now completely hooked, plan to buy it and string with Hurricane Pro tour, probably around 25-26 kilos because the demo is at 24 and i find it a little too powerful.