PDA

View Full Version : Second serves - mental approach.

GuyClinch
05-04-2007, 09:40 PM
How do you think about hitting different serves? I basically only have one service motion and I want to know when your hitting a "slice" serve or a "kick" serve mentally what do you tell yourself?

Do you say i want to hit up on the ball for a kick? Do you not think about it and just say okay now kick serve? Do you just change your toss? Do you change your grip? Is it just all in the wrist?

My second serve is just like a slower first serve and I want to add more spin instead of doing that..

mucat
05-04-2007, 09:44 PM
Practice, practice, practice. No simple jedi mind trick can help you since you are not one.

Swissv2
05-04-2007, 09:50 PM
There are two different things you are asking here: thinking about serves, and executing serves.

To answer the execution of a second serve, it is the toss and the swing through. First serve focuses on a more "flat" hit, while second serves focus on getting the toss more behind you and hitting "over" the ball to kick it in.

There are plenty of step-by-step guides out there that shows how to execute a kick serve

thejackal
05-04-2007, 10:32 PM
i dont even think about spin or motion. i just think about using the same full swing as my first serve and putting it to my opponent's backhand. once in a while i "miss" and serve it to the forehand, oh well. i find that i hit much, much less double-faults with this mindset.