PDA

View Full Version : High 2 handed backhand

George
09-18-2004, 06:10 PM
Any suggestions on how to hit a high 2 handed backhand, above shoulder height?

George

splink779
09-18-2004, 07:02 PM
Yeah jump. Seriously. You see the pros do this every now and then. It was funny, I think Grosjean was playing this year in the open and McEnroe commented on his leaping backhand, saying 'I don't see the point in that, why would you do that?' or something along those lines. I think it is a very nifty shot for short high balls, you can smack it for a winner and look cool at the same time.

Exxion
09-18-2004, 07:50 PM
I agree that jumping helps, just remember to stay balanced in the air and when landing. Pros on clay courts jump (I think). Try to jump into the ball, as you would step into it. I've tried jumping into the ball and it gives a lot of added speed, the downside is its hard to stay balanced when you land

If that doesn't help, you can just develop a 1 handed slice to deal with high balls

Max G.
09-18-2004, 11:10 PM
Step in and take it earlier, I'd say... it's possible to do that with a 2-hander.

Or jump - if you can. It looks good if it works, but if it doesn't then you kind of waste energy and make a fool of yourself. Do it only if you think you *can.*

I'd recommend taking it early though.

George
09-19-2004, 05:28 PM
Thanks guys,
Taking it early before it gets that high is probably one solution.
Have to work on the timinig.

Jumping and using the mule kick like Safin and Grojean is probablyan other solution.

Somebody else suggested keeping the racquet and elbow high as one approach the ball

Slicing is another option.