PDA

View Full Version : Racquet sensitivity???

Gabs011
05-05-2007, 01:41 AM
Does anyone agree that while some players are able to happily chop and change and still maintain the level of their game - some people are just not able to adapt to new racquets for some reason?

I play a lot tennis at a pretty high level and I came to realisation - in my opinion different people have different levels of sensitivity towards rackets. What I mean by this is - everytime I try a new racquet 95% of the time I dont like it.

I dont try new racquets because I need to change my game - I do it purely for enjoyment. But on the other hand when I hand a demo racquet over to my hitting partners quite often they are absolutely fine with the new racquet.

When I first started playing tennis my first serious frame was the prestige classic and ever since I keep finding myself coming back to some version of the prestige mid - currently its the iprestige.

Anyone have a similar experience?

Cheers

rooski
05-05-2007, 11:06 AM
Gabs...I'm the same way. I can usually tell in the first 5 minutes (sometimes less) whether or not I like a racket. Most of the time it's like you say...I hate them. It's more pronounced in this day of "modern" shell rackets, which feel so UN-solid. In the old days (80's) there were less models and most of them were the same head size and weight so it wasn't such an issue. I learned a long time ago that if I stick to the ~12+ oz HL 95-98" head size sticks I am less sensitive. I try rackets every once in a while but always come back to the Pro Staff 6.1 line.

I am also very string sensitive to the 1/2 lb. I go into my stringer every once in a while and ask him when was the last time he adjusted or replaced his clamps. He usually looks at me wondering how I knew that it was time to change clamps (because my racket came out loose). I get a "too loose" string job and I'm not happy...same if it's too tight. When I find a stringer who is consistent and maintains his machine, I'm a loyal customer.

lethalfang
05-05-2007, 11:57 AM
As long as the racquet is bewtween 12-12.5 oz., with enough flex and is therefore very stable, the chances are I'll like it. It doesn't mean I'll play as well with it as I do with my primary racquet (POG OS), but I like the feel enough to enjoy playing with it.