PDA

View Full Version : Head Trysis Radical Tour MP Pics and Review

Gabs011
05-05-2007, 12:57 AM
http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/2264/radiclal1ti4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img501.imageshack.us/img501/8159/radical2pt6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/3066/radical3tu5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Gabs011
05-05-2007, 01:20 AM
This is the midplus version of the radical that Agassi is rumoured to have used throughout his career. They are pretty rare - and I found a nearly new one lying on one of my old racket bags so I took it out for a spin. Since I really enjoy reading other peoples' reviews on here I thought I'd add a couple of my own.

Groundstrokes - on any racket the most important aspect for me is how it hits off the ground. This one is really nice but it is very hefty! Those who are used to the more modern versions of the radical would be in for a very big surprise - since this hits NOTHING like the new ones. One word to describe this racket is 'solid'. You just hear a huge thump everytime you smack a groundstroke past your opponent - like the sound of a gun going off. Adequete stroke mechanics, timing and footwork are all essential with this frame. Power / control / placement are fantastic but spin is not that great. I image players with similar flat strokes to Safin/Berdych/Tursunov would be interested in this stick. However the underlying factor for me was the feel - they simply dont make rackets with this kind of feel any more. Not to say that its better or worse than modern sticks but that 'Made in Austria' Head feel is definitely there.
Overall - 8.5/10

Serves - This racket is an absolute monster for serving. For flat bombs it is amazing. Since the racket has a fair bit of weight you simply feel that given the correct technique the racket does nearly all the work for you. Slice serves are also good but gathering a very fast head speed is not so easy unless the user is incredibly fit/strong. But in terms of serving power / consistency / placement it ranks right up there with all the sticks I've tried.
Overall - 8.5/10

Volleys - Not its strong point unfortunately. Since its swingweight is pretty high the manouverability suffers at the net. I guess this is not a problem for people that play from the baseline. However - when you do position yourself correctly and can get to the volley easily then the solid Head feel gives the volleys some nice punch.
Overall - 6.5/10

Returns - Once again, the weight of the racket is such that you can simply block back rocket serves with ease. Taking a big cut at the ball is not so simple on the return and takes some getting used to. Overall though, it does not twist in your hand or feel flimsy at all which is very important against good servers.
Overall - 8/10

Concluding remarks - really nice stick - has no major weaknesses and has many major strongpoints. Players that play on a regular basis would get used to the weight IMO. Playing with a racket with this solid feel makes you realise why most of today's pros play with paintjobs of older models from the early 90's. I once read Thomas Martinez saying that Murray uses a frame either that is this exact one with CAPS - or one that is based on this one - I could be wrong though - (I dont believe for a second that he uses an I.Rad!) Anyone who has a chance to testdrive a 'Made in Austria' Head frame should definitely do so - only then will you realise why people on these boards keep banging on about their special feel.

Like I said in another thread, I still prefer a prestige mid but as far as Head Midpluses go - I think this one is a close second behind the infamous PT280.

Hope you enjoyed - any questions then please ask

Cheers

Gabs011
05-05-2007, 01:21 AM
Double post

hrstrat57
05-05-2007, 03:14 AM
good stuff, thx.

Duzza
05-05-2007, 06:15 AM
This is awesome Gabs! How many other Retro racquets do you own? I'd love it if you had the PT280!

vsbabolat
05-05-2007, 07:11 AM
Just a FYI this racquet is out of the same mold as the Pro Tour 630/280.

Duzza
05-05-2007, 04:36 PM

I was more interested in the Paintjob....I've never really seen one in the flesh.

frekcles
05-08-2007, 07:51 AM
Great review! Have you tried the other versions of the Radical. Specifically the 1995 through 1998 versions? I would be interested to know if you feel they play differently.

Gabs011
05-08-2007, 01:19 PM
frekcles - I have tried every single radical in the range. Another beauty is the Liquidmetal Radical Tour. You should try it if you can somehow get your hands on one. This is actually Djokovic's previous frame and also the one around which his current Nblade is based around. But apart from this - all the most recent ones are a complete joke if you ask me. The two Radical Tour models which followed the Trisys were also awesome since then its been a nice downhill journey for Head Radical frames IMO.

vsbabolat
05-08-2007, 01:26 PM
frekcles - I have tried every single radical in the range. Another beauty is the Liquidmetal Radical Tour. You should try it if you can somehow get your hands on one. This is actually Djokovic's previous frame and also the one around which his current Nblade is based around. But apart from this - all the most recent ones are a complete joke if you ask me. The two Radical Tour models which followed the Trisys were also awesome since then its been a nice downhill journey for Head Radical frames IMO.

How very true. Nice job on the review.

jayserinos99
05-08-2007, 01:31 PM

An addendum, since this frame is based out of the 630/280 mold and is drilled the same...CAP grommets can be fitted on this frame. I fit iPrestige MP CAP grommets fine on this frame. However, the addition made the frame a bit more sluggish to swing.

vsbabolat
05-08-2007, 02:25 PM
An addendum, since this frame is based out of the 630/280 mold and is drilled the same...CAP grommets can be fitted on this frame. I fit iPrestige MP CAP grommets fine on this frame. However, the addition made the frame a bit more sluggish to swing.

If you would like to have traditional grommets back on the racquet you can order i.Prestige MP XL grommets from TW. http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageHEAD-HIIPXLG.html

These grommets will fit the Original Radical Trisys 260, both Radical Tour TwinTube 630 and the Pro Tour 630/280, i.Prestige MP XL, and i.Prestige MP. They fit because all are 20mm beam width and the same drill pattern.

frekcles
05-08-2007, 06:55 PM

I actually have the 1995 Radical but am in the process of trading it for the Trisys 260. I've tried the '95 Radical once or twice and my impression was that it is really heavy but if you can get the racquet moving the feel is awesome, buttery. Have not tried the LM Radical Tour and probably won't at this point. I've set my eyes on playing just the Trisys 260 for now.

BTW is that a Tecnifibre logo stenciled on your strings?;)

Gabs011
05-08-2007, 10:46 PM
Yep:) tecnifibre logo it is! The string in the frame while the picture was taken was Tecnifibre Promix 17g. Its not bad - but i have tried better. Another thing about these classic frames for me is that you can go fairly high on the tension on both gut and polys and not feel any harshness. The feel is just so crisp that it allows for a very firm stringbed IMO.

Either way I wish you the best of luck on your journey with the Trisys Rad MP. I guess the only thing that could hold you back is finding a 4 or 5 more if you decide that this is the frame for you. Interestingly the OS version which Agassi used/uses pops up on e-bay far more often than the MP. I would say that for every 10 OS's I see, I find about 1 MP.

frekcles
05-17-2007, 08:47 AM
Gabs. Do you know the swingweight for the Trisys 260 Midplus? I'm really enjoying hitting with this racquet. Don't know if it's honeymoon phase or not but it's very soft and buttery. The plow-through is great. I hit mostly flat so cannot say anything about spin but I'm sure it's there lurking.

BTW I have two so it should last me for a while unless one of them breaks in half. Do these frames break easily under normal usage?