PDA

View Full Version : Rate my strokes

mona999
05-05-2007, 10:17 AM
Hello.

Could you please evaluate my strokes for me, I would really appreciate it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYuWa-KB2Mg

PS: my arm is killing me ... follow-through = baaad.

Nelson
05-05-2007, 10:33 AM
Forehand looks good. Nice footwork also, always on your toes. If your arm is killing you then perhaps you're swinging your arm too much and should look to move forward (ie hit through the ball with your body instead of your arm). It looks like you have trouble huge top spin balls, need to take them earlier unless you like taking them at shoulder height and want to hit flat.

Bending your knees will help a lot with those low balls and I would also suggest more knee bend on the one serve you hit.

You look uncomfortable on the backhand, looks like you're too close or something (can't really tell from that angle).

Those are my thoughts anyways.

sapient007
05-05-2007, 11:39 AM
nelson pretty much covered everything.

footwork on the BH still needs work. FH looks good tho a bit too much arm, but all the elements are there. hard to tell from the only serve you did, however i think you were trying to jump up. don't jump, it should be a little hop generated from the uncoil if your body into the ball.

jasoncho92
05-05-2007, 11:45 AM
On forehand it seemed like you were leaning back right before you hit it

SFtennisGG
05-05-2007, 12:50 PM
Your form looks pretty good. How long have you been playing? Not to sound like a sexist pig that my gf thinks that I am, but your form looks better than most recreational female players out there. On your backand, do you tend to sail the ball long? Your racquet face seems a bit too open (as opposed to the face facing down onto the court) on the backswing. This may lead to contact with the ball with an open face more often.

drakulie
05-05-2007, 01:44 PM
Great video!

Things you need to work on:

ON your backhand you have a very short takeback. You need to make your takeback a little further back. You also need to use your body more to explode into the ball, rather than just using your arms.

Positives:

Love the energy! You move your feet and stay on your toes. You are also split stepping, which is great. Your footwork is very good.

Your forehand is definitely your stronger side. Nice coiling/uncoiling and follow-thru (You should do this more on your backhand side). You also hit a reverse forehand when needed, which is more advanced.

Love the ponytail! :)
Love the legs! :)

Last note: At around 12-14 seconds into the vid you could see an insect crawling across the floor. :)

Thanks for sharing the vid with us. Good luck!

FiveO
05-05-2007, 04:41 PM
Nelson hit on some good points and agree with him and drakulie that your movement and "alertness" is a good thing.

Bending more at the knees, lowering your playing height at which you move to and recover from shots about 6" to 12" will facilitate involving your lower body and trunk into all shots: higher, lower, and those hit from open and square stances.

While your fh seems to be your stronger side I have to disagree with drakulie in that I don't see an adequate coil in the preparation phase. Its not an easy camera angle but it appears that your shoulders are always fairly "open", facing the net. I think this manifests itself in "arming" and its probable that this is at least a contributor to the arm pain you mentioned.

I would suggest both lowering your playing/movement height and achieving a 90 degree turn of the shoulders on fh's and at least that angle on your bh's preparation phase. Also pay attention to when you achieve that angle in your preparation on the bh, right now it is much later than on your fh. Perhaps a mental cue of "90 degrees by the bounce" might help on the bh.

Maintain that enthusiasm and good luck,

adamvann
05-05-2007, 08:50 PM
I wish my wife could hit a tennis ball as good as that.

ps60
05-05-2007, 09:34 PM
i always like to be "critical", that's what i am good at :D

Nice video, although from a very low angle. and a little too far away (zoom out)

First impression is you 're quite a hard hitter, and u keep moving all the time (not lazy feet !)

Then... (everything is IMO !)
1. although you hit hard, with some knee bend, and some shoulder turn (coiling), most power is provided by your arm, and esp forearm (if not some from the wrist) Shoulder didn't recoil enough to provide power at shots. Very little power is provided by the body turn.

2. you accelerate the racket too late, just before impact and right after it. So your follow through is very fast, and understandably your arm (elbow) is under lot of stress. your swings also look jerky as a result. If u can accelerate earlier and stop the power supply (not the swing) after impact, the swing will look smoother, and the arm will feel smoother too.

3. Although your feet are hard working, you don't seem to find the right distance, place to hit the ball. Most balls are aimed to the moon (on the forehand). Wonder if u like to wait for the ball to come down a bit (yeah, the fence is just behind U) or hit it earlier before it gets so high.
And the direction of your swing too. Could u flatten it a bit, not aiming at the sky, lower the angle a bit.

4. Hit more relax ! U hit hard, quite admirably. Wonder you may find more enjoyable tennis with a more relaxed form.

Hope some of these would help U. (yeah, i am inclined to a relaxed play style.)

edberg505
05-06-2007, 02:57 AM
I'm sure that I'm just gonna reiterate what has already been said here. Your forehand looks pretty good, but it appears that you are using a bit too much arm. Try to be a bit more relaxed. The power comes from hip rotation. Your foot work looks good. Looks 3 times as good as mines. As for your backhand I can't give you too much feedback because I have a 1 hander. But I used to teach tennis and use a 2 hander a long time ago so I'm pretty good and trouble shooting. It appears that you need to take your racquet a little more and turn to the side a tad bit more as well.

Here is a vid showing what some of the people here mean by hitting relaxed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fotldR224h0

mona999
05-06-2007, 05:20 AM
wow. everyone is great, i appreciate all the advice. i'll go out and hit today, and see what happens - maybe try a b4 and after video?

i know what you mean by more relaxed - that guy's tennis looks so nice.

edberg505
05-06-2007, 11:39 AM
wow. everyone is great, i appreciate all the advice. i'll go out and hit today, and see what happens - maybe try a b4 and after video?

I think I speak for everyone else in this thread when I say we will be quite interested in seeing your new vids. Good Luck.

that guy's tennis looks so nice.

Why thank you. I try. :-D

dr_punk
05-06-2007, 11:56 AM
I wish my wife could hit a tennis ball as good as that.

haahahahahaaha this just made my day :D