PDA

View Full Version : Pure Storm

rayallen333
05-05-2007, 01:16 PM
BottleRocket, or anyone else, can you compare O3 tour MP to Pure Storm 98? Anything would be appreciated.

Bottle Rocket
05-05-2007, 01:37 PM
I've owned both rackets, I still own the Pure Storm. They are very different rackets.

First off is the weight and balance. The 03 Tour is noticable heavier and extremely headlight. Manueverability wise, because of the balance, the 03 Tour feels very nimble. The Pure Storm, even with the even balance and lighter weight is still fairly easy to manuever. Some people think it feels a little sluggish. If volleys really are a major part of your game, I wouldn't look to either of these rackets. With that said, if you're a great volleyer, you can volley well with anything.

My current opinion is that both lack a little bit of weight in the head, but it depends on what you're used to.

In stock form the 03 Tour is definitely the more stable racket and nobody will argue that it is a better racket at the net because of it. The only issue there is feel, but that is subjective. You may or may not like the feel. I like a dampened feel, but even the 03 Tour might be a little much. It is the only racket I can tolerate to use without a dampener. I use a big old worm dampener on the PS.

The Pure Storm is more powerful and a superior serving racket, especially for flat serves. The 03 Tour just doesn't seem to have the balance for big serves in stock form. With that said, it is extremely easy to swing through the air. The 03 Tour might have the edge for top spin serves?

Both rackets really shine from the baseline. The 03 Tour lends itself well to heavy top spin, because of the balance and the holes in the frame. It is easy to get extreme racket head speed. Sometimes it feels a little hard to time the ball because it is so easy to bring through the air. The Pure Storm's reputation comes from its baseline play and it doesn't dissapoint. I think it suits all styles fairly well, whether you hit with heavy top or fairly flat. There are so many threads here about the PS, I don't think much more needs to be said.

I think they are both great rackets, two of my favorites. It depends on what you're looking for. The Pure Storm is a no BS racket that get's the job done well from all areas of the court. The 03 Tour has a little more heft, and a little less inherent power. Both are forgiving and both are comfy, with the comfort edge going to the 03 because of the added weight.

The 03 Tour is rough on strings.. If you break strings as it is, you'll probably break twice as many with the 03. Strings seem to last forever with the PS.

If I had to choose one to play a match my life depended on, I'd go with the Pure Storm.

rayallen333
05-05-2007, 05:10 PM
Thanks a lot Bottle Rocket. I think I may get a Pure Storm this summer (I hope it is cheaper by then). I currently use the O3 Tour MP but dont find enough oomph from the baseline. I am guessing the storm will help out?

saqdeez
05-05-2007, 05:16 PM
pure storm is so much better. 03 is awful for serves and volleys, just awful. Great topspin groundstrokes but the story ends there.

PED
05-05-2007, 05:28 PM
I doubt the storm drops much in price, regular PD teams still sell for 179 even with the cortex out for over a year. I've got both storm and mp 03 and they're both nice but the storm gets the nod. while waiting to get your storm you might want to add a little weight to the 03.. I put 6 g total at 3 and 9 and it made it much sweeter. The 03 just hits so different from anything else. I think you'll really like the storm. It's not that powerful so you can really swing away.

rayallen333
05-05-2007, 05:37 PM
It is more powerful though right (for those 3rd set :))? I have put 4g on both 3,9,12 (total 12g) and an overgrip on the O3. Its a little heavy now for those bad days...

rayallen333
05-05-2007, 08:27 PM
PED or Bottle Rocket, would you say the power difference from the baseline is drastic? How about directional control?

Bottle Rocket
05-05-2007, 11:03 PM
In my opinion control is pretty much the same on all rackets with the same headsize. Directional control is good on both rackets. With top spin, you can hit some insane angles.

The power difference is not drastic. They are interesting rackets to compare. The Pure Storm needs good speed to produce power because of a lack of weight and the 03 Tour also does because it lacks weight in the head.

Anyway, the Pure Storm is more powerful...

dylo
05-06-2007, 12:38 AM
the pure storm had a much better feel than the 03 tour IMO. i personally dislike that mute, cushy feel that o3 racquets hav

rayallen333
05-06-2007, 10:46 AM
Which one would be better for counterpunching? I find the O3 tour to not have enough for just blocking big serves.

PED
05-06-2007, 01:08 PM
i played today with my storm for the 1st time in 3 weeks, i had sold it but changed my mind when i could not come to terms with either my pure drive or 03tour. The storm is just much sweeter. When it comes to big serve blockage, you will need to lead up the storm to make it effective. The hoop has just too much flex other wise but all around it's a better stick than the 03. If you are demoing maybe you should try the nblade as well. I've never used it but it sounds similar to the storm.

EasternRocks
05-06-2007, 05:31 PM
not many people use this racquet...the only people i know using this is Massu and Gonzo
:D :)

Bottle Rocket
05-06-2007, 05:42 PM
not many people use this racquet...the only people i know using this is Massu and Gonzo
:D :)

Those guys are actually using old Pure Control's...

rayallen333
05-07-2007, 04:54 PM
Would you recommend the Pure Control over the Pure storm?

PED
05-07-2007, 08:02 PM
I've not played with the control that much but i don't like the feel as much. The weight does not bother me but it felt harsh to my arm...much harsher to me than my APD. That's just my perception. It would be worth trying it, Bottle Rocket seems to love his.

Bottle Rocket
05-07-2007, 08:45 PM
I feel much more comfortable recommending the Pure Storm than the Pure Control.

It has a relatively low stiffness for todays standards, and especially for a Babolat. It is one of the lower powered Babolats (still a bunch though!) and it is just a no BS racket. It does well from all areas of the court and most people play with rackets in the Storm's weight range. People also like seeing pro's using it...

The Pure Control appeals to a smaller audience because it is heavier, more headlight, stiffer, and very powerful. It is purity at it's finest in my opinion, but many don't like it.

I think that has something to do with all of Babolat's Pure Storm pj's for the pro's. They realize it will appeal to more people (more people will have more success) and don't want everyone going out and buying the heavier/stiffer PC when they see Gonzo smack a winner.

My own preference? I will never play my Pure Storm again while I have a Pure Control with strings. They are both great rackets (include the PD Roddick in there, too), but it all boils down to personal preference. Here is my comparo->

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=121778&

You must try all of these rackets before buying. Don't take my word for it. It's not uncommon for people to think I'm crazy and completely disagree...

juniorwayne08
05-08-2007, 06:40 AM
In my opinion, the Pure Storm is the best racquet of these three for sure. The O3 is pretty wild. It just doesn't feel right... maybe too headlight? I don't know exactly what it is but the muted feel and terrible serves were enough for me to say no. The Pure Control, although seemingly similar to the Storm, is a completely different feeling racquet. The added weight and different balance put these racquets in differnet categories. Both good racquets definitely, it just depends on your style of play. The Storm gives a little bit more room for error and is easier on the arm, while the Control is definitely more stable and a bit more "classic" feeling. I chose the Storm because I can take big rips at the ball and not get tired after a three set match. The one oz. difference in combination with the balance can really make a difference. I hope that helps!

the Town Sherif
05-08-2007, 06:47 AM
loved the pure storm team, didn't like the o3 tour mp at the end...too much spin, not enough pop

rayallen333
05-09-2007, 05:37 PM
Can someone compare it to o3 white?