PDA

View Full Version : Do you follow through above your shoulder?

Duzza
05-05-2007, 05:34 PM
On the forehand, does your racquet end up nearly ALWAYS above your shoulder?

Mine does, and I was watching a match bw Fed and Ginepri yesterday and neither of them did, from time to time yes, but basically what I saw was they didn't.

Is it good or bad to be doing this? I'm guessing at Pro level it slows down your reaction time for your next shot?

x Southpaw x
05-05-2007, 05:50 PM
I don't think you're supposed to force a follow through. A follow through is just a natural deceleration after impact, and you should let it end up wherever it naturally does.

Like Nadal hits with so much topspin and down-to-up motion so that naturally brings his racket above his head while Federer goes for more pace.

I think women are more likely to follow through above their shoulder all the time, because their strokes are all the same. That's why they're so consistent but at the same time somewhat one-dimensional.

tlm
05-05-2007, 06:02 PM
My racquet on most forehands ends up pointing down next to my left hip.I use a windshield wiper forehand most of the time+even though the racquet does go up over my head, the follow through ends up pointing the racquet head down.

Also nadal does not end up above his head on a lot of his forehands, when he goes for a winner or flatter shot he uses a windshield wiper motion.

Duzza
05-05-2007, 06:04 PM
My racquet on most forehands ends up pointing down next to my left hip.I use a windshield wiper forehand most of the time+even though the racquet does go up over my head, the follow through ends up pointing the racquet head down.

Yes, I can imagine what your forehand looks like right now.

tlm
05-05-2007, 06:32 PM
What are you trying to say duzza?There are countlees clips of many pros using the exact follow through i described.

blubber
05-05-2007, 06:34 PM
From what I understand, a follow trough that goes out and accross your body allows for more power and spin. It works well with a semi western grip.

I think this finish is called the millenium forehand. Tennisplayer and Hitech tennis have stuff on this. Look up posts by yandell, bungalo bill, jco87, etc for more info.

If you're getting good results with your follow through you probably shouldn't change it.

tlm
05-05-2007, 06:41 PM
Thats right blubber, it is described as the modern forehand or millenium forehand.The power is generated by going out slightly+ accross your body with super high racquet head speed, this is why a lot of times the racquet head will end up pointing down by your hip.I think duzza needs to check out some of those clips.

p0w3r
05-05-2007, 07:41 PM
I finish off right on or slightly bellow my sholder...kinda like blake. The racquet ends up basically behind me. But then again, I hit kinda flat.

mucat
05-05-2007, 07:42 PM
I agree with Southpaw. I also have different follow-thru depending on how I hit the ball and where the ball is. The follow-thru does not affect how you hit, but how you hit affect your follow-thru.

Doc Hollidae
05-05-2007, 07:59 PM
Always.
I Love 10 characters

dave333
05-05-2007, 08:23 PM
I do with a western grip, along w/ straight takeback.

I find it easier to drive it if needed but its still easy to load the shot with topspin.

andymac1
05-05-2007, 08:27 PM
My follow through goes WAY above my head when I go for heavy topspin and it's just natural that way, so I don't think it should matter.

thejackal
05-05-2007, 08:30 PM
my follow-though usually ends up over my shoulder and around my neck, unless i hit a reverse forehand.

c_zimma
05-05-2007, 08:48 PM
My follow through ends up around my hip or higher. Like someone mentioned above, forcing a certain type of follow through won't feel comfortable. If I try to finish directly over my left shoulder, it doesn't feel right.

ps60
05-05-2007, 10:45 PM
every shot is different, u can end it by your side. or above shoulder, sometimes above the head, just as needed. Don't bother as long as it is a good f/t, that's preventing injuries.

Duzza
05-06-2007, 04:53 AM
What are you trying to say duzza?There are countlees clips of many pros using the exact follow through i described.

No no :D I was actually being serious :D

tlm
05-06-2007, 07:10 AM
Okay duzza i thought you were thinking that swing was strange or something, i think it is true what a lot of posters are saying dont try to force your followthrough just let it go were it wants to.