PDA

View Full Version : Trying to hit High 1HB

Omisoshiru
05-05-2007, 08:16 PM
When I play people who like to add lots of topspin, i notice than when it comes to my backhand I have a hard time hitting it back (I use a 1HB). Can you guys give some tips or ideas on hitting high backhands (about chest to shoulder level) with more pace? Whenever i try to hit them they are either slow or just become lobs.

punch
05-05-2007, 08:25 PM
Try bending down more and taking it on the rise, don't let it bounce high to your backhand, take it early.

Mick
05-05-2007, 08:26 PM
me, I would slice them high balls back instead of hitting them back with top spin.

ps60
05-05-2007, 09:40 PM
try the Ljubicic's backhand !

Have a look at his game

North
05-06-2007, 03:30 AM
Yeah, high balls to my 1HBH are difficult. I find that I really have 3 basic options. Sometimes I have no choice but to get pushed back way behind the baseline so I don't take it so high. When that happens, I make sure I recover court postion right away closer in to the baseline.

Taking the ball early, on the rise, is the best response, I think, but the timing can be difficult to learn and to get consistently right during match play.

The third option I use, that someone has mentioned, is slicing the ball back when it is high. You just need to make sure your slice stays lows so you don't give the opponent a real sitter.

ps60
05-06-2007, 06:21 AM
try BH smash :D
turn allthe way back to the back fence. and hit an overhead BH smash. I like that, not too difficult if you've practise. Just beware they come in to the net for interception.

jamauss
05-06-2007, 07:58 AM
point your elbow up in the air and brush across the ball from about 7 to 1. It'll drive the ball back down into the court.

metsjets
05-06-2007, 08:19 AM
the hardest part here is MOVING to the correct position to hit on the rise. once you do this, keep your racket very high, and just push forward(while keeping the racket high the whole time. no topspin, no low to high). if you don't get pace, you either mis hit or did something wrong. this is probably your best shot.

Bagumbawalla
05-06-2007, 09:49 AM
If your normal backhand is good and reliable, try to hit the HIGH backhand as much as possible the same way-- just like you hit LOW balls the same by simply bending your knees and getting down and stroking the same way through the ball.

Of course, you cannot levitate your body to rise up and hit the ball EXACTLY the same, but the stroke should be ESSENTIALLY the same. Swing up and through the ball in a sort of EXAGGERATED/FLAMBOYANT version of your normal stroke. It will feel odd at first, but eventually, you will enjoy the feeling of hitting out on these balls.

Have your partner feed you a few hundred to both your forehand and backhand and just hit through thenm until you begin to get the feel and timing right.

In addition to that method, since the ball is high and above the net, you can hit DOWN through the ball, sort of slicing then down into the court. This return has the advantage of making it more difficult to hit their next ball with all that topspin. This is, I think, what Jamauss, said, above.

You could also simply "punch" through them sort of like a volley with very little spin. This will send them back fairly deep and low.

Other things you can do are step back, let the ball fall into your comfort zone, and strole it normally. The disadvantage here is you may be so far back when you do this that you are vulnerable to dropshots and angled placements.

If you have the timing and mechanics, you CAN step in and take tha ball on the rise. However, I suspect that if you were able to do this, you would not be asking this question.

Good luck,

B

dave333
05-06-2007, 11:28 AM
I was messing around w/ my topspin 1bh (I usually 2bh) and found it much easier to a. Slice or b. Take it on the rise.

Omisoshiru
05-09-2007, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the advise guys, ill try em out, and im still open for suggestions :]

ryohazuki222
05-09-2007, 09:17 PM
I say to jump! Others may say it's horrible technique... and it probably is... but it's a lot of fun!

smoothtennis
05-10-2007, 08:38 AM
Something to try in practice for this. If you are determined to hit a shoulder level or higher 1HB with top spin, you might need to make a slight grip adjustment.

I hit this shot a lot, but I also rotate my grip ever so slightly so that the racket face is a little more closed, and hit my normal stoke, but not real hard. It places spin on the ball well, and the angle of the racket face is facing into the other court at contact. With my normal backhand grip, I can't hit this shot with any pace and little spin.

I hit this a lot when moonballers are spinning bit shots to my backhand. It goes back nicely. Try it out...just a light tweak, but it works for me.

itsstephenyo
05-10-2007, 10:15 PM
I love taking my 1hbh shot around chest to shoulder level. I take a really, really flat swing path with a pretty extreme backhand grip. I find that I can hit the corners with a lot of pace behind the ball. It'll usually catch my opponent off guard, as well, since they might expect a slice or moonball back at them.

The Prodigy
05-10-2007, 11:06 PM
I say to jump! Others may say it's horrible technique... and it probably is... but it's a lot of fun!

i agree..... actually i decide to stroke most of the time rather than slicing it because it puts you more or less in a defensive position, no matter how good you hit the slice, your opponent will still have a chance to control the point quickly.

SFtennisGG
05-12-2007, 04:48 AM
besides hitting on the rise I would say move back or hit a slice.