PDA

View Full Version : So I got a PS85...

kingdaddy41788
05-05-2007, 08:37 PM
I originally got one of the new China versions for my birthday just to have one around to hit with for fun. After hitting with it on a few different occasions, however, I'm considering switching to it. The first time out with it, I played decent at first and then went completely downhill, but I think I was having a bad day seeing as every time after that I've played quite well with it. Anyway, does anyone else out there think I should make the switch? Or am I crazy? Keeping in mind that I'm a 19 year old Men's 5.0/Open player? I'm not really a serve and volleyer, but the PS85 seems to suit my game well anyway. I tried the k90 out, but didn't care for the swingweight at all. Anyway, any feedback would be appreciated.

Swissv2
05-05-2007, 08:43 PM
play with what you are comfortable with and can keep up with.

Fries-N-Gravy
05-05-2007, 09:44 PM
you hit the ball right, and what racquet you use makes little difference. If you really are 5.0/open, challenge yourself to be good enough to use it.

very nice racquet whether you are serve-volleying or you want to hit big from the baseline. assuming you might have an interest in it for the same reason as everyone else, remember pete did both.

I started with a sledgehammer 4.8 oversize, went to the ti radical oversize, then to the PS 85 and nothing else has ever felt as comfortable except maybe the new k factor.

SoBad
05-05-2007, 09:46 PM
it's a good racquet

SocalTennis
05-06-2007, 12:30 AM
It's a great racquet if you have the technique and preparation. I was forced to play with it today for 4 hours (forgot my bag in my wife's car), and man, it was great. Although it doesn't have the power of my POG mid, the precision is much better. Serving is as good as the POG mid and it shines at the net. I'm more of a baseline counter puncher so my POG mid would still be my main stick, but the PS will be my secret weapon.

andreh
05-06-2007, 01:23 AM
The first time out with it, I played decent at first and then went completely downhill, [...]

This I find to be common from people that I know that just started with the ps85. They all love it the first 20-30 minutes but then it starts to go south. I think this is because of the heavy weight, combined with very head light balance and small sweet spot. When you are tired it becomes difficult to hit the sweetspot with accuracy and generate enough racquet head speed to hit with power and spin.

You have to be very fit to use the ps85. To some extent you'll get more fit just by playing with it, but a fitness regime outside the court might also help.

Mr. Sean
05-06-2007, 10:52 AM
This I find to be common from people that I know that just started with the ps85. They all love it the first 20-30 minutes but then it starts to go south. I think this is because of the heavy weight, combined with very head light balance and small sweet spot. When you are tired it becomes difficult to hit the sweetspot with accuracy and generate enough racquet head speed to hit with power and spin.

You have to be very fit to use the ps85. To some extent you'll get more fit just by playing with it, but a fitness regime outside the court might also help.

Yeah playing with heavy mids for the first week or two is brutal. You become very sore the next day. But its funny if you keep playing with them you dont notice the weight at all and eventually you prefer the heavy weight. I think it makes you stronger as well its weird.

dr_punk
05-06-2007, 11:05 AM
Do what you want, dude. I honestly had the same experiences, it was a completely 180 when I hit with it again a while back and it just changed my mind.

drakulie
05-06-2007, 04:42 PM
kingdaddy, do you play with a one or two-handed backhand? I always found the 85 awesome off the ground because of it's heft and stability. Sure it's not the biggest frame, but I was still able to generate good depth, spin, and power.

kingdaddy41788
05-11-2007, 07:28 AM
I play with a one-hander. Occasionally when I'm just hitting with friends I'll hit two handers but only when I'm just hitting. I'm thinking I'm going to be a tennis coach once I get out of college, so I want to be able to teach both to my students and I feel like it'd be best if I can hit both pretty well.

dr_punk
05-11-2007, 08:05 AM
I play with a one-hander. Occasionally when I'm just hitting with friends I'll hit two handers but only when I'm just hitting. I'm thinking I'm going to be a tennis coach once I get out of college, so I want to be able to teach both to my students and I feel like it'd be best if I can hit both pretty well.

thats a great idea actually, this way you can relate to both one and two handers.