PDA

View Full Version : differences between windshield wiper and over the shoulder follow through?

randomname
05-05-2007, 10:29 PM
I was just curious what the main differences between the two were and what the pros and cons of each are

kingdaddy41788
05-05-2007, 10:33 PM
Windshield wiper is well... like a windshield wiper... You finish your follow through by your knees on the opposite side of your body that you hit (if you're right-handed, you finish a forehand by your left knee). As far as I'm concerned, there's little to no benefit to this unless you've completely mastered it. Over the shoulder follow through is much better, IMO. And far more consistent - I don't think that can be refuted.

mucat
05-05-2007, 10:44 PM
What if you have a high ball and you want to use wiper motion to put heavy topspin to the ball? Will the finish still be knee height?

And a low ball and want to use wiper motion to put heavy topspin to the ball?

kingdaddy41788
05-05-2007, 10:48 PM
more than likely, yes. I mean that the top of the racquet (which, with that motion, is lower than the handle) is at the top of your knee after follow through. With the high ball it may only be waist height.

SFtennisGG
05-05-2007, 10:51 PM
I agree with kingdaddy. I recently read an article in tennis mag. that a windshield might be a more suitable stroke when you're attacking a shortball. But IMO the wiper is harder to time and master.

kingdaddy41788
05-05-2007, 10:54 PM
Even when mastered it isn't as consistent as over the shoulder. Unless, of course, you're Rafa.

mucat
05-05-2007, 10:59 PM
more than likely, yes. I mean that the top of the racquet (which, with that motion, is lower than the handle) is at the top of your knee after follow through. With the high ball it may only be waist height.

Depends on the grip of course, but for eastern and SW and high ball, the finish will be shoulder height.

As for wiper motion is more suitable stroke for shortball, you can adjust the steepness of your swing motion, more steep for more spin and less pace, more thru the ball (less steep) for less spin and more pace. So, wiper motion is not just suitable for shortballs.

One more thing, I have to disagree with the title "differences between windshield wiper and over the shoulder follow through?"
Wiper motion is a type of swing and over the shoulder follow through is not.