PDA

View Full Version : my strokes (5.5) if interested

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

TonLars
05-06-2007, 01:31 AM
Posting videos of hitting, points and matches to reflect on and see progress through the years.

2012 Manitoba Open
Semis- http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/24146931
Finals- http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/24173860

2012 Saskatoon Futures Main draw 1st round:
https://plus.google.com/photos/104242241965716988815/albums/5764107425068425969?authkey=CM7_ruHT1Pu-LA#photos/104242241965716988815/albums/5764107425068425969

2011 US Open National Playoffs:
Practicing- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atOnitvN174
1st round- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOqghHrSgnI
2nd round- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfu0AF7R9UY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RvwS4StZbQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTrD2HsZNiA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ko_MkEGaKKA

2011 US Open National Playoffs Northern section final:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?p=PLFC8A3C6DD64C003E

USPTA Hard court nationals semi-final 2010
http://www.youtube.com/user/TonLars#grid/user/C566066D2A86961A

2010 baseline game points:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf4z-U6Dlvk

Comment if you like. As far as NTRP rating goes you could say Im a 5.5-6.0 out of college and playing regional open tournaments for prize money, and try to play some Futures circuit tournaments when I get a chance to play them.

Duzza
05-06-2007, 05:11 AM
Were you a 5.5 in College playing D2? Isn't 5.5 surely D1 level? Anyway.....you have some very nice strokes, although they looks pretty mechanical you obviously get great depth and power on the ball. Film some points! I wanna see some FH and BHs together lol...

ps60
05-06-2007, 06:53 AM
if that is 5.5, there must be many 5.5 out there

i am not too familiar with that self assess system.
i thought 5.5 are very powerful and great players.

dave333
05-06-2007, 06:54 AM
Wow those look pretty similar to mine only diff is I finish around shoulder and I think my grip is more western.

Nice strokes, I still need to get more jacked to make mine as penetrating as yours (I'm only 14...)

sapient007
05-06-2007, 07:00 AM
good swings on both wings.

mucat
05-06-2007, 07:05 AM
Thats good stuffs there, TonLars.

Guys, don't look at the ball, it will apear to be slow in video. Instead, look at how clean, how consistent and more importantly, how hard he hit every ball. And how good the footwork to setup the shot and weight transfer, good stuff.

goober
05-06-2007, 07:06 AM
if that is 5.5, there must be many 5.5 out there

i am not too familiar with that self assess system.
i thought 5.5 are very powerful and great players.

I think he is is legit 5.5. He had a national ranking of 43 in D2 last year if you look him up. I didn't look up his whole record so it could be even higher. Most people would agree that the very top of D2 players would be a 6.0. Also he may have improved since last year.

And no there are not a lot of 5.5 level players out there.

shindemac
05-06-2007, 07:31 AM
Pretty good. I'm sure you're much better now, so why don't u post a more recent vid. Too bad u gave away your ntrp. It woulda been fun to play the guessing game.

I agree with the other poster. You look a bit stiff and mechanical out there. That ball looks surprisingly slow for a 5.5. But I'm sure it isn't. Your footwork looks a little slow on your bh side.

cys19
05-06-2007, 07:56 AM
Is the sound coming off the racquet from the poly? What racquet is that? Your forearm must be pretty strong to hold your takeback that way and have penetrating shots.

edit: Just realized they're synthetic strings from your signature

TonLars
05-06-2007, 08:17 AM
Haha it is interesting to see both the positive and negative comments on this, as expected. Anyways, thanks to those who understand tennis better and can give some kind words. For those who think im not what I say, I dont know what to tell you but youll just have to look up results on the internet I guess. And im sure you understand playing points is much much different than just hitting because you have to move well and execute under pressure. This is just basic hitting. But I will say I missed like 2 balls total from both videos combined:grin: As for recent video of me, yeah this is all I got and its from about 2 or 3 years ago. Some of you are correct, I play more aggressively now although not much has changed in the way of trying to play very steady and patient, but indeed you should all understand that playing consistent and being able to run everything down is the way to succeed in tennis. Many players at any level need to realize that

Again, thanks for the compliments. Maybe someday I could get the 2007 version of my hitting on but I am a newb with this technology so probably not.

blubber
05-06-2007, 08:45 AM
Just some observations. I'm in no position to evaluate you b/c, although it's not always easy to tell from video, you are clearly a good player and much better than me.

I'm guessing your backhand is your better shot. Looks like you get more power with it.

It looks like you have a short take back on your forehand side. That's good for playing against hard hitters b/c you can set your shot up faster but it robs you of some power.

What grip are you using on your forehand?

TonLars
05-06-2007, 09:03 AM
Just some observations. I'm in no position to evaluate you b/c, although it's not always easy to tell from video, you are clearly a good player and much better than me.

I'm guessing your backhand is your better shot. Looks like you get more power with it.

It looks like you have a short take back on your forehand side. That's good for playing against hard hitters b/c you can set your shot up faster but it robs you of some power.

What grip are you using on your forehand?

Thats actually a really accurate assessment, youre exactly right on both things. My forehand is different now than 2 years ago and im hitting it much more aggressively. Whats the grip- its pretty close to western, but probably not full.

ufgatorkid
05-06-2007, 09:15 AM
Wow, nice footwork, strokes, etc. Lol, even nice calves!

TonLars
05-06-2007, 09:16 AM
Is the sound coming off the racquet from the poly? What racquet is that? Your forearm must be pretty strong to hold your takeback that way and have penetrating shots.

edit: Just realized they're synthetic strings from your signature

No I think you are right actually, because this is two years ago and I used different string back then. The racquet is the old Head Ti Radical and used it for about 8 years. Now Ive been using the Flexpoint radical for about 2 years

TonLars
05-06-2007, 09:20 AM
Wow, nice footwork, strokes, etc. Lol, even nice calves!

thanks lol. Speed is my strength, too bad I dont have points on video here. I dont see how people are saying my ball is so "slow", but I understand I suppose. I do make up for power by running balls down better than most people I play.

cys19
05-06-2007, 09:20 AM
No I think you are right actually, because this is two years ago and I used different string back then. The racquet is the old Head Ti Radical and used it for about 8 years. Now Ive been using the Flexpoint radical for about 2 years

My friend is a 4.5-5 and he leads up his fxp radical. Do you? Just wondering if lead's necessary to hit penetrating shots at that level.

Voltron
05-06-2007, 09:24 AM
I would have to say you are certainly a 5.5, if not better. Your forehand looks a lot like mine, albeit more consistent and powerful. I enjoyed the video especially because your forehand is similar, I suppose I can probably learn things from it. Thanks for the videos, you are a 5.5, despite what others have said. :) Good luck with the futures! :)

BounceHitBounceHit
05-06-2007, 09:27 AM
Haha it is interesting to see both the positive and negative comments on this, as expected. Anyways, thanks to those who understand tennis better and can give some kind words. For those who think im not what I say, I dont know what to tell you but youll just have to look up results on the internet I guess. And im sure you understand playing points is much much different than just hitting because you have to move well and execute under pressure. This is just basic hitting. But I will say I missed like 2 balls total from both videos combined:grin: As for recent video of me, yeah this is all I got and its from about 2 or 3 years ago. Some of you are correct, I play more aggressively now although not much has changed in the way of trying to play very steady and patient, but indeed you should all understand that playing consistent and being able to run everything down is the way to succeed in tennis. Many players at any level need to realize that

Again, thanks for the compliments. Maybe someday I could get the 2007 version of my hitting on but I am a newb with this technology so probably not.

No matter what these guys may say, the truth is you have very fine strokes, and more importantly your results speak for themselves. ;)

Good luck with the futures.

Best,

CC

TonLars
05-06-2007, 09:29 AM
My friend is a 4.5-5 and he leads up his fxp radical. Do you? Just wondering if lead's necessary to hit penetrating shots at that level.

I have never used led actually, no. Alot of players do though, and if I knew anything about equipment specifics and such im sure id be doing things differently myself. Different rackets play different though, and so you dont need lead if you just find the right stick. Most high level players are using heavier rackets the way it is.

TonLars
05-06-2007, 09:32 AM
No matter what these guys may say, the truth is you have very fine strokes, and more importantly your results speak for themselves. ;)

Good luck with the futures.

Best,

CC

thanks guys, too kind. Go back to the top if you like im going to put 2 more quick videos up and thats the last of what ive got.

dr_punk
05-06-2007, 09:40 AM
good stuff, good luck this summer

cys19
05-06-2007, 09:49 AM
I have never used led actually, no. Alot of players do though, and if I knew anything about equipment specifics and such im sure id be doing things differently myself. Different rackets play different though, and so you dont need lead if you just find the right stick. Most high level players are using heavier rackets the way it is.

Just curious, seeing that you have a 2hbh to make up for the light-weight racquet, do all of your one-handed bh peers play with heavier sticks? I'm new to the game and haven't been to any tournaments. :)

cys19
05-06-2007, 09:57 AM
thanks guys, too kind. Go back to the top if you like im going to put 2 more quick videos up and thats the last of what ive got.

Wow I just saw your short angle clip. wowwwwwwwwwwwwww............

blubber
05-06-2007, 10:10 AM
the way you take back your racquet early and hold it reminds me of Venus Williams' backhand.

DoubleHanded&LovinIt
05-06-2007, 10:10 AM
The take back on your FH reminds me of Blake--though you obviously hit with a higher trajectory. You get good depth and spin.

The take back on your BH reminds me of the Williams sisters--it looks somewhat mechanical and at times you seem to struggle with depth.

Overall, I can see that your game is based on grinding.

Good luck this summer with the Futures. Make sure you build on your strengths and get as fit as you can. There is no need to play around with your strokes. Work on your physical and mental strength and the results in the Futures will come. Be patient and persevere.

cam2
05-06-2007, 10:17 AM
Nice strokes and footwork. Both sides were very efficient and not likely to break down.

I think it's funny that that the people who were the most critical here and in other threads are probably the weakest players and the better players gave credit were it's due.

TonLars
05-06-2007, 10:44 AM
Just curious, seeing that you have a 2hbh to make up for the light-weight racquet, do all of your one-handed bh peers play with heavier sticks? I'm new to the game and haven't been to any tournaments. :)

Yeah they do, and smaller head sizes as well. I guess im an odd one and play with a lighter and oversize racket, but the Head radicals have good control.

Thanks for the insights and compliments everyone, it is interesting to read and appreciated!

ajspurs
05-06-2007, 12:00 PM
Theres nothing wrong with ur forehand being slightly stiff, it looks quite consistent, doesn't look a lot like it but it reminds me jonas bjorkman's forehand.

GuyClinch
05-06-2007, 12:28 PM
5.5 are very good players. I don't think that camera angle does the guy justice. He isn't really punishing the ball there at least off the forehand wing. But you can't say there is anything 'wrong' with his strokes..

Pete

PrinceO3TourOS
05-06-2007, 12:30 PM
Good strokes TonLars :D what string tension do you use with your Flexpoint Radical Oversize?, I'm a fan of Oversize racquets ;)

lethalfang
05-06-2007, 12:40 PM
Were you a 5.5 in College playing D2? Isn't 5.5 surely D1 level? Anyway.....you have some very nice strokes, although they looks pretty mechanical you obviously get great depth and power on the ball. Film some points! I wanna see some FH and BHs together lol...

A top 50 DII player, as he said he is, is at least as good as an average D-1 player, if not better. There are many D-2 players drafted into the NFL every year, and those are your top D-2 football players.

thejackal
05-06-2007, 12:45 PM
very good swing and contact. takeback looks a bit stiff, but that's not a big deal. i agree that results speak for themselves. what about your serve? any vids on that?

Mr. Sean
05-06-2007, 12:47 PM
Love the strokes tony. I think your backhand is actually more powerful than the forehand. Your backhand is great, I think you can get even more power by bending those knees a little bit and accelerate up. The forehand is very good as well. It seems to me that you brush up more on the forehand than you do on the backhand. I think if you can just drive the forehand stroke even more you will be able to hit it with a lot more power. These of course are all just minor tweeks to good fundamentals that you have.

Vision84
05-06-2007, 12:49 PM
Am I th only one who noticed he has the Nadal butt scratch going on at the beginning of the first video?

Anyways nice consistent strokes. They look very simple. I was surprised by how early your backhand takeback was and I agree that you look quite stiff on the takeback.

Hot Sauce
05-06-2007, 01:02 PM
Okay I wanna see topspin, Tony, all topspin! Okay now I wanna see flat, all flat, Tony!

ZPTennis
05-06-2007, 01:30 PM
thanks lol. Speed is my strength, too bad I dont have points on video here. I dont see how people are saying my ball is so "slow", but I understand I suppose. I do make up for power by running balls down better than most people I play.

I would have guessed that. Your type of style looks to be the very consistent excellent placement hitter with less power than most at your level. If i am right, you probably win most of your points by hitting a million balls back forcing an error and also having the occasional backhand winner.

Thanks for sharing the videos.

35ft6
05-06-2007, 02:03 PM
Definitely at least 5.5 based on his credentials. Dang, double bagels over the number 1 guy from Gustavos? That's pretty good.

His power is pretty decent, it's just that 1) people are used to only seeing the pros hit on TV/internet, and 2) the sound is pretty weak. If he were hitting indoors his power would seem more impressive.

baros
05-06-2007, 02:08 PM
division is judged on school size not level.

TonLars
05-06-2007, 02:10 PM
Good strokes TonLars :D what string tension do you use with your Flexpoint Radical Oversize?, I'm a fan of Oversize racquets ;)
Thanks man, I string at the highest lb. of the recommended tension.

A top 50 DII player, as he said he is, is at least as good as an average D-1 player, if not better. There are many D-2 players drafted into the NFL every year, and those are your top D-2 football players.
Although the guy probably would beat me more often than lose, I did have a win last summer in a tournament final over a player who made the spring Division 1 singles tournament. I wont mention his name but he played #1 for Minnesota last year and did well, although this year he has done poorly due to a major injury and has played in the middle of their lineup.

very good swing and contact. takeback looks a bit stiff, but that's not a big deal. i agree that results speak for themselves. what about your serve? any vids on that?
thanks, I do not have a vid of my serve, I was lucky enough to figure out how to even get this uploaded actually; im not very tech saavy. My serve is admittedly also not powerful but consistent and I place it well. I pretty much thrive on the running and groundies you see here, with recently being a bit more aggressive than back in these vids.

Love the strokes tony. I think your backhand is actually more powerful than the forehand. Your backhand is great, I think you can get even more power by bending those knees a little bit and accelerate up. The forehand is very good as well. It seems to me that you brush up more on the forehand than you do on the backhand. I think if you can just drive the forehand stroke even more you will be able to hit it with a lot more power. These of course are all just minor tweeks to good fundamentals that you have.
Thanks for the comments. I think you are right on all you said, and I have made some changes to my forehand in the last two years since these videos.

Am I th only one who noticed he has the Nadal butt scratch going on at the beginning of the first video?

Anyways nice consistent strokes. They look very simple. I was surprised by how early your backhand takeback was and I agree that you look quite stiff on the takeback.
I figured someone would say that! But I was scratching my back I think:p Ive always has a early prep takeback and compact stroke and I think that is important to do

Okay I wanna see topspin, Tony, all topspin! Okay now I wanna see flat, all flat, Tony!
Haha yeah it is funny to listen to him at some parts in these. He is a little old fashioned but definitely knows technique. It is funny how he doesnt like my "flat" strokes because im still mainly hitting them with topspin but just flattening them out more. Also, the guy im hitting with hit several balls into the wrong half and if I didnt hit inside out the guy would start yelling at me "forehands, all forehands!" lol:o

Thanks everyone for the analysis and compliments. Feel free to say anything that comes to mind, I will listen

TonLars
05-06-2007, 02:14 PM
Dang, double bagels over the number 1 guy from Gustavos? That's pretty good.

Haha oh you found that from my senior season? Yeah, I had a really good match that day, it was fun. He is a good player and Gustavus is a very good team, id reccomend anyone to go there if they are looking in the area and not going Division 1 or something. Their coach is one of the best youll ever come across

jasonbourne
05-06-2007, 02:20 PM
TonLars, thanks for sharing your vids. I'm only a 5.0 and regularly play against players that hit similar to you. Great 2hbh. One suggestion I have for the fh is maintain a "quiet" head and get lower, stay "on" the ground through the stroke for more penetration and better placement.
Since this was taken couple of years ago, you probably do this now. :)

Best wishes in the summer.

35ft6
05-06-2007, 02:27 PM
Haha oh you found that from my senior season? Yeah, I had a really good match that day, it was fun. He is a good player and Gustavus is a very good team, id reccomend anyone to go there if they are looking in the area and not going Division 1 or something. Their coach is one of the best youll ever come acrossButorac winning an ATP doubles title is mind blowing. On TV, you could see that his strokes were the worst on the court, but hustling in doubles goes a long way. You could see him and Murray wanted it wayyyyyy more. I've heard great things about Gustavos.

You hit your forehand a lot like Nadia Petrova. Did you guys ever play any of the top d-2 teams? Ever scrimmage Northwood, the Michigan one?

TonLars
05-06-2007, 02:34 PM
Butorac winning an ATP doubles title is mind blowing. On TV, you could see that his strokes were the worst on the court, but hustling in doubles goes a long way. You could see him and Murray wanted it wayyyyyy more. I've heard great things about Gustavos.

You hit your forehand a lot like Nadia Petrova. Did you guys ever play any of the top d-2 teams? Ever scrimmage Northwood, the Michigan one?

Yeah im happy for Butorac he is doing amazing in doubles right now with Murray! He is a great doubles player with his height and serve and net play, also he is an example of how people can be alot better at either singles or doubles. I am pretty even with him for singles but he is now top 45 I think on ATP for doubles now having won about 3 titles which is just as you said more than anyone could ever ask for and I certainly could never accomplish that!

We actually almost played Northwood as we would have met them in the sweet 16 of the NCAA tournament but we lost in the round of 32 to Nebraska-Kearney.

OrangeOne
05-06-2007, 03:09 PM
Any junior / pretender who even thinks (dreams) they're at this level without actually being at this level, needs to look at the consistency and the footwork (let alone the fitness).

Hitting for a minute-plus with consistent, directed, solidly hit balls? That's high level. Many, many, many steps (too hard to count) between each shot, positioning carefully for each shot? Also high level.

Most players will play their whole lives without reaching 5.5....

TENNIS_99
05-06-2007, 03:48 PM
Although the guy probably would beat me more often than lose, I did have a win last summer in a tournament final over a player who made the spring Division 1 singles tournament. I wont mention his name but he played #1 for Minnesota last year and did well, although this year he has done poorly due to a major injury and has played in the middle of their lineup.

Well, it's not absolute that D1 players are much more better. I know someone had junior ranking in the 100's came to the States played a few Futures went to a D2 and was bageled in some D2 conference. So work it up and good luck

jeebeesus
05-06-2007, 05:18 PM
good luck Tonlars. u can only get better. i will keep a lookout for u in the qualifiers.

DraGoNoFfiR3
05-06-2007, 05:42 PM
Heres two links I just made of me hitting groundstrokes 2 years ago for a guy that does video analysis. I can put a couple others up later, but for now I have here basic cross court topspin forehands and backhands:

backhands: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGR1n0Xhvvk Disregard blank blue screen for first 10"
forehands: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRj1mV6n-VU
backhand flatter drives and some slices: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqbbYVl2Fqg
forehand short angles: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvP_C7tBz1k

Comment if you like I guess. Im a 5.5 out of college and playing Open tournaments for cash and trying to do something in the Futures this summer.

your a 4.5 a best

SlapShot
05-06-2007, 05:47 PM
Nice vids Tony. Your footwork is really strong.

If you ever come down to Minneapolis and want to go hit, I'm always up for knowcking some balls around.

goober
05-06-2007, 05:49 PM
your a 4.5 a best

Yes based on your vast competitive tennis experience and extensive USTA tourney play I think we should defer to your rating of this player. clearly you are in the know. Oh wait a minute I forgot you posted this-

any advice to a newbie to usta tourneys? i'm about 3.5, i'm the 3rd best on my high school team, but ive never had the chance to play in a usta tournament.

i plan on joining a satellite 16 tournament soon, so any advice on my first usta tourney? should i be afraid?

J011yroger
05-06-2007, 06:12 PM
I think it's funny that that the people who were the most critical here and in other threads are probably the weakest players and the better players gave credit were it's due.

Could it have something to do with the fact that we have busted our *rear end* for hours upon hours, and years upon years to get to a good level, and understand the amount of work and dedication it takes, and so would never talk down someone else who worked that hard, whereas those who have never played at a high level who sit on their *rear end* watching tv and listening to commentators who say Roddick is a serve and a forehand, and Agassi can't volley, who go out and hit a few balls with their buddies on the weekends have absolutely no comprehension of the hours of work and pain and frustration it takes, and in some little demented corner of their mind actually believe that with a little practice they could actually compete at that high a level.

I dunno...could be.

J

waves2ya
05-06-2007, 06:19 PM
Dude - nice strokes...

Good sound.

serveitup911
05-06-2007, 06:25 PM
Nice compact, consistent strokes, TonLars. The first thing I noticed was the early preparation on the backhand. You seem to like your backhand more - you were always moving forward for it. On your forehand, you sometimes hit off your back foot, but had pretty solid results anyway.

You seem to be in great shape and I'm sure you make people work hard to beat you! Keep up the good work, and good luck if you decide to play some futures!

People who said he's not hitting hard or not a 5.5 - you just have no idea. That ball is moving pretty fast and consistently landing deep. If you are making comments like that, TonLars would probably be happy to wipe you off the court!

saqdeez
05-06-2007, 06:27 PM
Yes based on your vast competitive tennis experience and extensive USTA tourney play I think we should defer to your rating of this player. clearly you are in the know. Oh wait a minute I forgot you posted this-

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHHAHAAAHHAHAHAHAAHA HAHAHAHA!!!!

beernutz
05-06-2007, 06:37 PM

LOL - you OWNED him goober, well done.

drakulie
05-06-2007, 06:44 PM
Could it have something to do with the fact that we have busted our *rear end* for hours upon hours, and years upon years to get to a good level, and understand the amount of work and dedication it takes, and so would never talk down someone else who worked that hard, whereas those who have never played at a high level who sit on their *rear end* watching tv and listening to commentators who say Roddick is a serve and a forehand, and Agassi can't volley, who go out and hit a few balls with their buddies on the weekends have absolutely no comprehension of the hours of work and pain and frustration it takes, and in some little demented corner of their mind actually believe that with a little practice they could actually compete at that high a level.

I dunno...could be.

J

JO, Nice way to sum it up.

Ton, nice strokes. Thanks for sharing!

As others have stated>> and speaking from experience>>> I guarantee he is hitting the ball with very good pace. Pace of the shots, for whatever reason, doesn't tranlsate well to video. It gives a false perception that the ball is traveling slower than it really is.

Fedace
05-06-2007, 06:52 PM
I think Tony has better backhand than forehand. Backhand looks more reliable and more flexible, looks like can hit with power and disguise on the backhand side. but the forehand seem to be off the back foot too much. could have better weight shift into the shot on the forehand side, and balance is not always there either. ON the backhand side, could use better hip rotation into the shot to get more power if need be.

Phil
05-06-2007, 07:04 PM
Tony - I like the fact that you use a very compact loop and minimal backswing on your forehand. No wasted motion, nice smooth swing and follow through. One reason my f/h is inconsistant is the too-complex junk that comes before making contact. I would advise any beginning or intermediate player to look at your style.

DraGoNoFfiR3
05-06-2007, 07:06 PM

yes and i acknowledge that

however, im still sure that i, a usta newbie, am able to beat any player who hits like the player in the video, (4.5 at best).

I HIT BETTER THAN THAT, and ive never played a tourney before.

saqdeez
05-06-2007, 07:11 PM
oMg dragin ur awesome!!! pls post vids so we c@n lernnnn teh m0d3rn str0kez!!!

Andres
05-06-2007, 07:14 PM
And he also asked:
"btw what is a tweener? is that like a really light/powerful racket?"

Andres
05-06-2007, 07:15 PM

however, im still sure that i, a usta newbie, am able to beat any player who hits like the player in the video, (4.5 at best).

NNNNNNnnno you don't.

ibringtheHEAT
05-06-2007, 07:24 PM
oMg dragin ur awesome!!! pls post vids so we c@n lernnnn teh m0d3rn str0kez!!!

lawl, teh pwnzord

SlapShot
05-06-2007, 07:37 PM

I'm pretty sure that you'd get blown off of the court by a player of Tony's caliber.

Oh well.....arguing on the internet is like....(you can finish that - I'd rather not get banned.)

drakulie
05-06-2007, 07:37 PM

Lmao! :)

Hats off to you! It's people like you that certainly add comical entertainment to this forum.

Spindarella
05-06-2007, 07:44 PM

way to display your ignorance in the last sentence. hitting well and playing tournaments are two very different things. also, good job rating his entire game based on some groundstroke analysis videos.

TonLars
05-06-2007, 07:47 PM
Nice vids Tony. Your footwork is really strong.

If you ever come down to Minneapolis and want to go hit, I'm always up for knowcking some balls around.
thanks. yeah im really busy hitting and with tournaments all summer but im always trying to find people to hit and so maybe sometime it can work out!

good work detective hehe, yeah im not really sure why he is talking like that?

I dunno...could be.

J
I think youre right, people who havent experienced it firsthand probably just dont realize what all goes into it and that it looks easy but soon enough a person who sticks at something long enough learns what its all about. He says he is new so he probably just doesnt understand tennis very well. I saw somewhere where you said you were a pretty high level player yourself, where you at and stuff?

Nice compact, consistent strokes, TonLars. The first thing I noticed was the early preparation on the backhand. You seem to like your backhand more - you were always moving forward for it. On your forehand, you sometimes hit off your back foot, but had pretty solid results anyway.

You seem to be in great shape and I'm sure you make people work hard to beat you! Keep up the good work, and good luck if you decide to play some futures!

People who said he's not hitting hard or not a 5.5 - you just have no idea. That ball is moving pretty fast and consistently landing deep. If you are making comments like that, TonLars would probably be happy to wipe you off the court!
Definitely agree with the comments, thats also the analysis i had gotten from most people back then as well. I used to always be on the backfoot for the forehand but I no longer do that and I am hitting it much better and driving it like the backhand. Believe it or not the forehand has actually gotten to be the better side now after 2 years. I think I saw somewhere that you are playing at a college somewhere, where at and hows it going?

I think Tony has better backhand than forehand. Backhand looks more reliable and more flexible, looks like can hit with power and disguise on the backhand side. but the forehand seem to be off the back foot too much. could have better weight shift into the shot on the forehand side, and balance is not always there either. ON the backhand side, could use better hip rotation into the shot to get more power if need be.
hey Stanford fan:p yeah youre right, backhand has always been good form but the forehand needed work and I fixed for the most part exactly what you are saying now.

Tony - I like the fact that you use a very compact loop and minimal backswing on your forehand. No wasted motion, nice smooth swing and follow through. One reason my f/h is inconsistant is the too-complex junk that comes before making contact. I would advise any beginning or intermediate player to look at your style.
Ive always had compact strokes, im not so much on the fh anymore but yeah, the compact stroke definitely helps to be able to pick up and return hard balls and anything at the feet near the baseline.

4.5, at best? why, how do you figure? I mean I know im not playing points out showcasing the placement and running and finishing short balls and such, but you must not be a 3.5 if you can hit pretty well? Thats pretty impressive for a beginner to tournaments dont you think? At any rate, whatever my rating is, which is in the 5.5 range as I understand it, what would you classify the rating of the people I have beaten, such as Division 1 players or whatever? If you could please give me some advice as to what is making my shots in the 4.0 range id appreciate that too, instead of just saying you can beat me. Thanks Dragon boy!

TonLars
05-06-2007, 07:55 PM
NNNNNNnnno you don't.

Andres, hows it going? thanks again for talking to me about my shoulder injury way back last October and the fall. Man, things are sure different now, its nice to be back and I often just think about how nice it is to be able to play at all and not take it so much for granted these days. Im 23 now and ive been having alot more even little nagging minor injuries this year too even compared to just 1 or 2 years ago, and so Im starting to wonder if im getting old and worn down? lol!

p0w3r
05-06-2007, 07:56 PM

how do you figure that you can hit better then him even if we were to follow ur worng assesment that he is just a 4.5? You would still loose...badly...since u have stated before that you were a 3.5.

Noveson
05-06-2007, 08:00 PM

Hats off to you! It's people like you that certainly add comical entertainment to this forum.

Drakulie, I think you need to dumb that down a little, I don't think dragonfire(you have GOT to be kidding me) could understand that last statement.

Tony, yesterday I played in this HS tournament, and watched my first 5.0 play, he was a German exchange student that was absolutely rolling threw the tournament(beat me 6-2, 6-1). I have never seen somebody hit the ball that hard with so little effort, knowing that you are a 5.5 I have to think that the sound on the camera was bad, and the video doesn't do the speed justice. This is kind of a worthless post, just wanted to share my experience on learning how good a 5.0 actually is, let alone a 5.5.

DraGoNoFfiR3
05-06-2007, 09:06 PM

lol and who are you talking about. ive seen your youtube post and youre pretty terrible.

ibringtheHEAT
05-06-2007, 09:11 PM
Dragonfire, isn't it bedtime?

I'll put this in terms you might understand:

Til u pizzost da vid wit u ballin on da tennis courts, dont be dissin on otha homies. Dig?

Zets147
05-06-2007, 09:12 PM
hahaha lets see your 130mph serve, drag. <-- I know that g is not a k.

J011yroger
05-06-2007, 09:13 PM
I think youre right, people who havent experienced it firsthand probably just dont realize what all goes into it and that it looks easy but soon enough a person who sticks at something long enough learns what its all about. He says he is new so he probably just doesnt understand tennis very well. I saw somewhere where you said you were a pretty high level player yourself, where you at and stuff?

I am in NY, Long Island specifically, although hopefully I will be making a guest appearance at the U.S. Clay Court Nats in Lauderdale in 2 weeks, and hopefully I will be able to go out with dignity instead of getting whooped in the first round by someone who actually knows how to play on dirt :)

J

J011yroger
05-06-2007, 09:20 PM
Im 23 now and ive been having alot more even little nagging minor injuries this year too even compared to just 1 or 2 years ago, and so Im starting to wonder if im getting old and worn down? lol!

No joke man, I just turned 25 and I don't know how these old guys do it. One of my coaches is #1 in the world in 55s, and I have no idea how he plays at such a high level being 30 years older than me.

Aches pains and soreness I can deal with, I just gotta keep an eye on my wrists, and if they act up, I stop playing, because that puts me out for a while. My shoulder flared up a few times since my grand return, but this year I am gradually rebuilding strength, and its been pretty good aside from the good kind of hurt/sore.

Truthfully, being unable to play from 17-23 I thought I was done for tennis wise, but seeing how some of these older guys play gives me hope that I might be able to conjure up some magic and catch the tail end of my good years.

J

drakulie
lol and who are you talking about. ive seen your youtube post and youre pretty terrible.

Thanks you crazy stalker!

You must be one of those people from Niger that send those spam emails. You know,,,,, the ones where your dad is the embassador of the US to Niger, he suddenly dies, and you are now stranded. LOL

Phil

So why don't you post a video and let us decide how great a player you are...if "great" is the correct word here? If this guy wasn't a 5.5, but wanted people to believe he was, he wouldn't have bothered posting a video. Talk is cheap. A picture's worth a thousand words and video...two thousand or so...Until you put your money where your mouth is, you're just another typical trollboy. Post a video, troll.

J011yroger
05-06-2007, 09:28 PM
Drakulie, I think you need to dumb that down a little, I don't think dragonfire(you have GOT to be kidding me) could understand that last statement.

Tony, yesterday I played in this HS tournament, and watched my first 5.0 play, he was a German exchange student that was absolutely rolling threw the tournament(beat me 6-2, 6-1). I have never seen somebody hit the ball that hard with so little effort, knowing that you are a 5.5 I have to think that the sound on the camera was bad, and the video doesn't do the speed justice. This is kind of a worthless post, just wanted to share my experience on learning how good a 5.0 actually is, let alone a 5.5.

Saturday I lost in the quarters of an open against the type of player that is hardest on me (Flat balls, no pace) on my worst surface (Har-Tru) my opponent was a very smart player and played within himself very well, not to mention that he was like the nicest guy ever. I felt a little dissapointed because I thought I had a legit shot at winning the tournament. Today I went down to the local high school and hit around with some of the players from the team. It never ceases to amaze me how many levels of players there are, I mean these kids who are on a good highschool team don't even flinch when I serve, and there are people out there who could bagel me with ease, who would be bageled by Fed with ease.

I mean, I understand that some of these younger or newer players just cannot comprehend that someone could be THAT much better than them. I think 35ft6 said it best when he said "Tennis is one of those things you have to get good at before you realize just how bad you are."

J

J011yroger
05-06-2007, 09:32 PM

Where do you live??? I will play you if you are within distance, if not, certainly we can find a higher level board member to play you. If not I will advise you of some tournaments in your area where you may encounter some people who are below Lars' level yet still capable of soundly whomping you.

J

J011yroger
05-06-2007, 09:35 PM
Thanks you crazy stalker!

You must be one of those people from Niger that send those spam emails. You know,,,,, the ones where your dad is the embassador of the US to Niger, he suddenly dies, and you are now stranded. LOL

Drak, we will see if he ends up in the same category as MetsJets who dissapeared when he found out I lived nearby and was willing to call him on his claims.

J

edberg505
05-06-2007, 09:36 PM
Heres two links I just made of me hitting groundstrokes 2 years ago for a guy that does video analysis. I can put a couple others up later, but for now I have here basic cross court topspin forehands and backhands:

backhands: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGR1n0Xhvvk Disregard blank blue screen for first 10"
backhand flatter drives and some slices: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqbbYVl2Fqg

Comment if you like I guess. Im a 5.5 out of college and playing Open tournaments for cash and trying to do something in the Futures this summer.

Excellent strokes. Like someone else mentioned in here your backhand is reminiscent of Venus Williams with the early take back. How good is the guy you are hitting with? I can't really see his strokes because the vid isn't that clear for him. I was trying to explain to an earlier poster in here Mona999 who posted a vid of herself that she didn't have the proper take back on her back hand. She should defintely take a look at yours becasue it's picture perfect.

drakulie
05-06-2007, 09:36 PM
Drak, we will see if he ends up in the same category as MetsJets who dissapeared when he found out I lived nearby and was willing to call him on his claims.

J

^^^ Maybe he went to Niger? LOL

pushing_wins
05-06-2007, 09:54 PM
if this guy put his video without any mention of his record, how would he rate?

ntrp is screwed up as it is.

youtube tennis forum video ntrp rating, you cant be serious

DraGoNoFfiR3
05-06-2007, 09:55 PM
^^^ Maybe he went to Niger? LOL

L0LZ GOOOD 0N3!

Voltron
05-06-2007, 10:01 PM
Dragon-****er, or whatever the hell your name is. You made my night, this is just too funny. :lol: Anyway, I'm a 4.5, and TonLars would officially beat me 6-0 6-0, if you are a 4.5 or below, the same would go for you.

TonLars
05-06-2007, 10:13 PM
I am in NY, Long Island specifically, although hopefully I will be making a guest appearance at the U.S. Clay Court Nats in Lauderdale in 2 weeks, and hopefully I will be able to go out with dignity instead of getting whooped in the first round by someone who actually knows how to play on dirt :)

J
Sweet, good luck in that tournament! Clay would be a good surface for me but im in the same boat as you and not comfortable with the footing on clay because, I only play on it a couple days a year! Yeah this year has been tough for me injury wise, Im hoping thats pretty much over now since ive never had problems before. If I may ask, what kept you from playing from 17-23 like you said? Thats rough, but I guess you have some fire to go after it hard at this point in time!

How good is the guy you are hitting with? I can't really see his strokes because the vid isn't that clear for him. I was trying to explain to an earlier poster in here Mona999 who posted a vid of herself that she didn't have the proper take back on her back hand. She should defintely take a look at yours becasue it's picture perfect.
He is a very good player himself, he is just hitting nice balls back for me in this video session, although his style of game is very loopy and patient, so he plays mainly on clay. He does well in Opens and works at Saddlebrook, and apparently he practiced with Hingis sometimes which would be fun, and took a set from her one day also haha! And youre right about the takeback, that was a specific cue I learned right from the beginning and now it is automatic for me to get it back quick. Early prep is definitely something foundational to have a good set up and be able to hit any balls coming at you, especially something hit hard.

if this guy put his video without any mention of his record, how would he rate?

ntrp is screwed up as it is.

youtube tennis forum video ntrp rating, you cant be serious
Are you talking to me, im not sure? Anyways I put the video up because I just think its cool to see playing on a video, and then I knew it would get some interesting comments so it has been fun to read the analysis. Ive been especially struck at how well alot of people on here have analyzed my game from back then, and so many recurring themes come up that ive also heard before from coaches in person.

ShooterMcMarco
05-06-2007, 10:37 PM
Nice clips and nice strokes, kudos

Duzza
05-06-2007, 10:41 PM
I've seen better hitting at local open tournys.
Please Futures...

This guy would compete in State Grade easily....

TonLars
05-06-2007, 10:52 PM
This guy would compete in State Grade easily....

hey, was just wondering what "State Grade" is? Sorry ive just never heard of it. I think from something I saw I had the impression you are from Australia? Do you know of by chance Sam Fletcher or Christian Gerloff?

Swissv2
05-06-2007, 10:52 PM

prove it.
(10 chars)

SoBad
05-06-2007, 11:01 PM
TonLars, you're the best or one of them here anyways, we knew that without the videos, but surely appreciate you posting them. serveitup obviously sees a reflection of his BH dominator soul in you. Best of luck on the ITF this year and enjoy your travels!

VolklVenom
05-06-2007, 11:04 PM
too robotic to be 5.5!
If you a re a 5.5, i'm a 7.0

TonLars
05-06-2007, 11:20 PM
too robotic to be 5.5!

lol ok. wasnt, say, kafelnikov robotic? i dont want to sound mean but that critique isnt very helpful to me, im not understanding what "exactly" you think I should be doing better. For example others here were observant and said I was hitting forehands off the back-foot too much 2 yrs ago. Specific advice is good. Youre ATP tour though you say, yeah im not going to ever get there. You surely realize we were drilling and not playing points, right? Does it help my game if Im consistent like that and I can run an 11-something 100m? I will try not to be robotic and wear some flashier clothes and re-tape for you, and maybe dance around more. I will miss more and not hit deep in the corner as much for you also;)

Mr. Sean
05-06-2007, 11:23 PM
NNNNNNnnno you don't.

People like dragonfire don't understand how different it is to play in a match compared to just rallying with your friends. Rally sessions with friends are completely different than playing competitive tennis. I respect all these college players and pros who are able to translate all their good hitting and fundamentals perfectly to a match. Hitting well with friends doesnt mean jack **** if you cant translate them to matches. I would never make comments about how I could beat a 4.5 player if I've never even competed in a tournament. Ask anyone who has ever competed in a tournament and theyll tell you its completely different when you play matches.

Duzza
05-06-2007, 11:23 PM
hey, was just wondering what "State Grade" is? Sorry ive just never heard of it. I think from something I saw I had the impression you are from Australia? Do you know of by chance Sam Fletcher or Christian Gerloff?

State Grade is the top of our Victorian competition...I'm in Grade 4 atm, but State has guys who have made it pretty well on the Futures and in College. Chris Guccione played a few matches years back, and a lot of promising 18-20 year olds would play it. It's pretty cool to watch, they get line judges and everything :D.

Here's a match from last week in State Grade:

Dendy Park 2-4-46 lost to North Ringwood 4-8-56 Details
Dane Kelly lost to Stephen Donald 4-6, 2-6
Troy Smith lost to John Patrick Smith 5-7, 2-6
Ben Goltz lost to Luke Weightman 4-6, 1-6
Julian Arnold def Matt Symons 6-3, 6-3
Dane Kelly / Troy Smith lost to Stephen Donald / John Patrick Smith 3-6, 1-6
Ben Goltz / Julian Arnold def Luke Weightman / Matt Symons 6-1, 6-0

As you can see, the right side has Stephen Donald (no.9 Junior in the world) along with JP Smith (no.6 Junior in the world!)...ok so maybe you would struggle in this State Grade match, but still better than some people have said.
I've never heard of those 2 players though...I looked them up, one came from Waverley which is quite close to me..

Orly_Yarly
05-07-2007, 12:09 AM
very solid strokes.

any serves?

J011yroger
05-07-2007, 04:17 AM
Sweet, good luck in that tournament! Clay would be a good surface for me but im in the same boat as you and not comfortable with the footing on clay because, I only play on it a couple days a year! Yeah this year has been tough for me injury wise, Im hoping thats pretty much over now since ive never had problems before. If I may ask, what kept you from playing from 17-23 like you said? Thats rough, but I guess you have some fire to go after it hard at this point in time!

I blew out my shoulder, couldnt lift my arm more than paralell to the ground, totally dropped playing. Didn't consider any surgery or rehab since it didn't hurt in daily life. By the end of this year I hope it will be stronger than ever before. Last year I could serve for about a set, and then I wouldn't have the strength to bring the ball down into the court, so I had to resort to spin serves. It has been a tough year and a half, but as long as I keep getting better, I can't complain.

J

SlapShot
05-07-2007, 06:11 AM
Andres, hows it going? thanks again for talking to me about my shoulder injury way back last October and the fall. Man, things are sure different now, its nice to be back and I often just think about how nice it is to be able to play at all and not take it so much for granted these days. Im 23 now and ive been having alot more even little nagging minor injuries this year too even compared to just 1 or 2 years ago, and so Im starting to wonder if im getting old and worn down? lol!

I hear ya on the soreness, Tony. My elbow get tender from time to time, and lately, I've had some weird hip soreness.

I guess spending 4-5 days on the courts every week for a couple of months (I've been playing hard since the snow melted) and I think I'm going to have to take it easy this week if I want to be able to handle league this summer.

javier sergio
05-07-2007, 06:14 AM

How much cash did you make last year?

Andres
05-07-2007, 06:24 AM
Nice! Are you 100% already? That's awesome!
I still have 20 more days of rehab, until I can start any heavy hitting. 8 months without tennis is murder... and twice?? That's 16 months without hitting balls... A real pain in the ***.

I'm glad you're doing OK now. I still tried to keep myself active, and I'm still trying to hit the courts a couple of hours once a week, at least. It'll take around 2 or 3 months of hitting 4+ times a week to keep up with my level prior to the last surgery, and I'll try to give a shot at those Futures Quallies, as I was supposed to do in October last year (sadly, made it to the Q of Argentina F15, and injured myself in September, withdrew, and the tourney was cancelled because of some sponsors problem).

I'll try to talk with the board of the AAT, and try to get a WC into the Q of some futures events around September or October. Heck, if my man Horacio Zeballos can win Futures and Challengers, I should be able to win only 1 Q match! (not really expecting to make it to the main draw anyway, but they're always a good test for your level of play)

Nice to see you're doing OK. I'll keep you updated about my OWN shoulder ;)

Take care
A.

shindemac
05-07-2007, 07:22 AM

Seriously, refer to my quote.
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=1408930#post1408930

Check out the ratings on this thread. It's even funnier.
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=130498

Lars, I mentioned your footwork on your bh because I saw you standing sideways and backpedaling to get the ball. As u know, that's very inefficient compared to sidestepping. The reason why I mentioned it is because I changed from a 2-H to 1-H and it freed up my movement. I had very inefficient movement and I didn't even know it was holding my bh back. But then I realized I moved great when I did 1-H bh slices, so that's why I knew I should've been doing better on my bh side.

TonLars
05-07-2007, 07:23 AM
A couple thousand dollars in Open tournaments from the summer which is pretty cool, and there is major potential to make even more than that. I think I played about 13 tournaments, so its definitely alot of tennis and more than most people care to do. Most of them give about 500-1000 for the winner, and about 300-500 for runner-up. Some even have a bit more than that offered. I guess it beats mowing lawns or something else as a summer job.

Nice! Are you 100% already? That's awesome!
I still have 20 more days of rehab, until I can start any heavy hitting. 8 months without tennis is murder... and twice?? That's 16 months without hitting balls... A real pain in the ***.
Im not 100% actually, and I dont think I ever will be. I was offered the option of surgery but after the cortisone injection I went from like 30% to 80-85% and I can live with that. Also, it doesnt bother me at all playing tennis or doing most things, its only when I put my arm under major stress or in certain positions that its painful. I was under the impression you were all recovered, I cannot imagine having to wait and rehab so long! It is good to hear you are recovering though and Im sure youre extremely anxious to be past all of that and play some tennis! You must be a pretty good player yourself from what you say, so good luck to you as well in any tournaments you play!

Andres
05-07-2007, 07:44 AM
Im not 100% actually, and I dont think I ever will be. I was offered the option of surgery but after the cortisone injection I went from like 30% to 80-85% and I can live with that. Also, it doesnt bother me at all playing tennis or doing most things, its only when I put my arm under major stress or in certain positions that its painful. I was under the impression you were all recovered, I cannot imagine having to wait and rehab so long! It is good to hear you are recovering though and Im sure youre extremely anxious to be past all of that and play some tennis! You must be a pretty good player yourself from what you say, so good luck to you as well in any tournaments you play!
Nah, my rehab takes a little time, because I did have the surgery. And it wasn't an arthroscopy, but it was an open-sky surgery, and it takes around 6 weeks to get the first scaring of the "wound", and around 6 to 8 months to heal. After all, they cut through skin, and they cut the muscle until they reach the bone, and then is where I have the harpoons attached to the bone, the harpoons used to repair and stich the tore cartilage.

About my actual level of play, the AAT (argentinian tennis asociation) has an official circuit in every major city in the country (those cities with some tennis background, and usually half a million inhabitants. The circuit has 5 categories, being D5 the lowest, and D1 the highest. I'm playing D1. D1 is the tennis category right below Future events. And as far as I know, the NTRP equivalent rating for the D1 category is 5.0-6.0. I sent a tape to a tennis coach in a college in Boston, and he was the one who rated me a 5.5. Back then, I have absolutely no idea about those NTRP ratings... now, a year later, I kinda have a better notion of the subject.

There are around 15 or 20 tourneys every year in the circuit, and the actual ranking only matters after 4 or 5. Since I didn't play not even one this year, my ranking for the year is #172 out of 185. Not too good, may I say, but I'll try to gain some points by the end of the year, hehe-

I had a WC for the Argentina F15 Q last year (in October), but they cancelled the tourney, apparently, for some sponsorship problem. I had to withdraw anyway, cause I injured the left shoulder for the 3rd time in September the 2nd.

It's been a hell not playing all this time, but at least, I kept myself active by hitting at least once a week...

I can't wait to hit the courts regularly again.

Fedace
05-07-2007, 11:12 AM
Tony, make the adjustments i recommended, your stroke will be perfect. Who know maybe you will run into Matt Bruch in one of these tourneys? He is planning on some Challengers and futures during the summer. Don't be too intimidated by his big serves and forehands.

grizzly4life
05-07-2007, 12:18 PM
thanks for posting, and you are very brave.....

i believe that you are a 5.0, but i do think that you are really muscling it with a short backswing on forehand side and that will limit how high you could go in tennis.....

YonexDude
05-07-2007, 12:19 PM
division is judged on school size not level.

not neccessarily. villanova is a D1 school and it have under 5,000 kids. U of bridgeport in CT is also D1 and it doesn't have many people. St. Johns is also D1 and has under 10,000 people. there are dozens of other examples. divisions can depend on how good the school is or its size, or the combination of the two. some schools are div 1 or II in some sports, and div III in others.

to get on subject, your forehand is great. and i WISH that i had your footwork. your footwork seems impeccable from those videos. how long have you been playing tennis?

TonLars
05-07-2007, 12:23 PM
thanks for posting, and you are very brave.....

i believe that you are a 5.0, but i do think that you are really muscling it with a short backswing on forehand side and that will limit how high you could go in tennis.....

Oh I wont disagree at all, because this is two years ago. I was probably closer to a 5.0 at that stage and 5.5 would have been pushing it a bit for sure, although just hitting in a drill like this doesnt really show a whole lot. But based on results and the wins I have had I have to say my rating is 5.5 at this point in time. The forehand, as most on here have said, had some things to fix back then and I have done so. Thanks for the reply!

goober
05-07-2007, 12:24 PM
Tony, make the adjustments i recommended, your stroke will be perfect. .
uh didn't you say you were like a 4.0 level player in other threads? I am not sure how many 5.5 level players would take advice from a 4.0 level player especially if that player is not a coach. But who knows I am sure Tony thinks you are a highly credible person based on your other posts so maybe he will take your advice.

grizzly4life
05-07-2007, 12:26 PM
Oh I wont disagree at all, because this is two years ago. I was probably closer to a 5.0 at that stage and 5.5 would have been pushing it a bit for sure, although just hitting in a drill like this doesnt really show a whole lot. But based on results and the wins I have had I have to say my rating is 5.5 at this point in time. The forehand, as most on here have said, had some things to fix back then and I have done so. Thanks for the reply!

sorry, when i said you were a 5.0, i thought that's what you'd claimed.... didn't realize 5.0.... although i'd still stick with the 5.5.... glad to hear you've made some changes. i didn't see the recommendations, but for sure looser, longer swing...... thanks again for posting!!

grizzly4life
05-07-2007, 12:27 PM

sorry, when i said you were a 5.0, i thought that's what you'd claimed.... didn't realize 5.5.... although i'd still stick with the 5.0.... glad to hear you've made some changes. i didn't see the recommendations, but for sure looser, longer swing...... thanks again for posting!!

kevhen
05-07-2007, 12:58 PM
1. Tony Larson (SCSU) def. Ben Lundell (GAC) 6-0, 2-6, 6-0 back in 2005

Ben is an instructor at our club now and I played 8 games with him and lost them all but was winning points against him (nobody warned me how good he was, just that he was the new club pro). He was just spinning in his serves and all his other strokes but was playing at a 5.0 level (better than any 4.5 I ever played) and Tony here double bageled him as well. So it does look like Tony is a 5.5 although the video only looks like 4.5-5.0 level to me. Would like to see him play under match conditions.

knasty131
05-07-2007, 01:04 PM
the only thing i would say to tonlars would be extend your right foot more across your body on your backhand to enable more hip rotation and that will give you more power without changing anything else about your stroke...it seems like your feet are too close together when rotating and that causes an unstable base which in turn gives you less power

-kevin

NebAce1
05-07-2007, 01:25 PM
nice hitting. I agree with some of the previous posters that your forehand looks a bit stiff, but other than that nice job.

And I was just wondering what you were ranked in the juniors? Thanks.

sinneTennis
05-07-2007, 01:35 PM
Shindemac, or whatever the hell your name is,

Quoting me, quoting someone else about what THEIR NTRP is, to prove a point, in a negative way because of experience time isn't only ignorant, its plain stupid. Yeah, its been 4 months since I started, but i probably play a hell lot more then most of the people on this board, thats why im never on here, im practicing. So what if i dont have alot of TIME in experience? Doesnt mean im bad. Im #2 Singles on my HS JV team, and im a regular ZATs player at my club. so dont sit here and quote about me not knowing what ntrp rating somebody is just because i "just started this year"

SlapShot
05-07-2007, 02:39 PM

Quoting me, quoting someone else about what THEIR NTRP is, to prove a point, in a negative way because of experience time isn't only ignorant, its plain stupid. Yeah, its been 4 months since I started, but i probably play a hell lot more then most of the people on this board, thats why im never on here, im practicing. So what if i dont have alot of TIME in experience? Doesnt mean im bad. Im #2 Singles on my HS JV team, and im a regular ZATs player at my club. so dont sit here and quote about me not knowing what ntrp rating somebody is just because i "just started this year"

There is no replacement for experience, and that includes match play. To claim that you are a valid NTRP judge after having played for 4 months is simply flawed, however. Tony has several years of experience, as do many of the other posters in this thread.

No, the fact that just started this year doesn't mean that you are bad, but to claim that you have any level of expertise after a few months of tennis is simply not true.

jasoncho92
05-07-2007, 02:47 PM

Experience time isnt important? So a person whos played for one day should be able to tell someone else what their ntrp rating is? And singles 2 on jv is nothing to brag about

EDIT// I just remembered you were the guy who posted himself serving inside his house a month ago. And from that you have nothing to argue to people just because of that video. And by the way i am not writing any of this as an insult so dont take it as one

35ft6
05-07-2007, 03:00 PM
No joke man, I just turned 25 and I don't know how these old guys do it. One of my coaches is #1 in the world in 55s, and I have no idea how he plays at such a high level being 30 years older than me. How do/would you do against the 55yo instructor?not neccessarily. villanova is a D1 school and it have under 5,000 kids. U of bridgeport in CT is also D1 and it doesn't have many people. St. Johns is also D1 and has under 10,000 people. there are dozens of other examples. NYU is D-3 and they have over 35,000 students total.

TonLars
05-07-2007, 03:22 PM
1. Tony Larson (SCSU) def. Ben Lundell (GAC) 6-0, 2-6, 6-0 back in 2005

Ben is an instructor at our club now and I played 8 games with him and lost them all but was winning points against him (nobody warned me how good he was, just that he was the new club pro). He was just spinning in his serves and all his other strokes but was playing at a 5.0 level (better than any 4.5 I ever played) and Tony here double bageled him as well. So it does look like Tony is a 5.5 although the video only looks like 4.5-5.0 level to me. Would like to see him play under match conditions.
honestly bad second set, but yeah Lundell is definitely a solid 5.0 and was ranked in the top 5 to 10 in the nation for Division 3 singles. You must have figured out real soon that he doesnt go for much and rarely misses a ball im sure

the only thing i would say to tonlars would be extend your right foot more across your body on your backhand to enable more hip rotation and that will give you more power without changing anything else about your stroke...it seems like your feet are too close together when rotating and that causes an unstable base which in turn gives you less power

-kevin
Yeah good point, a few good coaches have told me I need to use more of my whole body potential to get more power. Thanks for the advice

nice hitting. I agree with some of the previous posters that your forehand looks a bit stiff, but other than that nice job.

And I was just wondering what you were ranked in the juniors? Thanks.
I was consistently in the top 3 to 5 in my USTA section in my 2nd year of each age group. However, to make a long story short, my dad wouldnt take me to national tournaments because he felt it would be a waste to go if I didnt have a chance at winning the whole thing. I didnt ever have a national ranking, and the chances to improve seeing that competition. I made a big stride to where im at now when I got to college in California and was able to finally compete against good players on a regular basis.

sinneTennis
05-07-2007, 03:56 PM
Experience time isnt important? So a person whos played for one day should be able to tell someone else what their ntrp rating is? And singles 2 on jv is nothing to brag about

EDIT// I just remembered you were the guy who posted himself serving inside his house a month ago. And from that you have nothing to argue to people just because of that video. And by the way i am not writing any of this as an insult so dont take it as one

excuse me Jason.. where in my post do I say that experience isnt important? I said "I dont have alot of exp", thats not saying experience is not important.

NebAce1
05-07-2007, 04:08 PM
I was consistenyl in the top 3-5 in my USTA section in my 2nd year of each age group. However, to make a long story short, my dad wouldnt take me to national tournaments because he felt it would be a waste to go if I didnt have a chance at winning the whole thing. I didnt ever have a national ranking, and the chances to improve seeing that competition. I made a big stride to where im at now when I got to college in California and was able to finally compete against good players on a regular basis.

Yea kind of the same thing with me right now. I get good sectional rankings, but my parents don't really want to take me to national tournaments unless their close. And I have another question do kids with bad sectional rankings, but good national rankings get into a better tennis college rather than a kid with a good sectional ranking, but bad national ranking? Thanks.

TonLars
05-07-2007, 04:20 PM
Yea kind of the same thing with me right now. I get good sectional rankings, but my parents don't really want to take me to national tournaments unless their close. And I have another question do kids with bad sectional rankings, but good national rankings get into a better tennis college rather than a kid with a good sectional ranking, but bad national ranking? Thanks.

I think theyre going to look at both for sure. The local schools in the area are more interested in making sure they communicate and scout for the players in the area since they have a better shot at getting them than those farther away usually, so theyll probably check the section rankings and possibly make it out to the bigger sectional tournaments and highschool stuff. Otherwise, the big time schools who are recruiting even heavier are looking at the national rankings more so, along with other international players too. Tennis is a hard recruiting sport compared with, say, basketball, and often times you need to make first contact with a coach and possibly make a trip out there so they can answer your questions and see you hit, or maybe send them tape of you playing and notify them of your rankings. Certainly both rankings are important, while the national ranking can give you more options if you have done well at that level, you may catch the eye of out of state schools that are looking to get new players to come in.

Urza187
05-07-2007, 05:17 PM
Holy crap man, nice videos.

Some comments not concerning the video:
- You definitely are a 5.5. People who grade you lower are horrible at the game.
- I see you beat Jesse Brauer and Ben Lundell from Gustavus......Which means if you beat those two, and I think I heard someone mention Butorac also, then you definitely are amazing. I'm from IA and Ben is actually from where I live so I know how good these people are. I've personally seen Brauer and Lundell play multiple times and they are great players. 99% of the people on these boards couldn't beat either of those 3 guys.

P.S: Sorry but I have to defend the m i d w e s t :) Gustavus is a very very good D3 school once ranked as the top D3 school for years, but now they are ranked 4th. Their facility and the group of players they have is amazing. I'm always inspired everytime I see a current or former Gustavus player play. Seeing them in real life versus watching them on video is totally different even at this level. You think you could hang in their with these guys, but if you actually played them you'd get pummeled.

Kevhen....where are you in IA? I take it you must be in, or close to, Iowa City. Ben is really good. I'd say he actually isn't as good as he was back in his college days although you'd have to hear the truth from him. It sure does help to hit countless balls while playing on a team. If you're in IA for the summer, you should come up to Dubuque and compete in the Mississsippi Valley Open. It's good times and you get to see many of the Gustavus players(current and former) play. They always make it deep in the tournament but never win(The last Gustavus player to win the MVO was Nick Crossley 3-4 years back). Last year a D1 player from Minnesota came and swept everyone. WOW. He(Avery Ticer) stomped Gustavus' #1 player Andy Bryan in the finals in the open. To Andy's defense, he had to play in the doubles final beforehand so he wasn't 100% but it's crazy to see the difference in a D1 player and a top D3 player.

Back on topic...... Tony i'd love to see videos of you playing. It's always great to watch good players who aren't on tour play and try to integrate parts of their game into mine and so on.

Edit: You can't say m i d w e s t on the forums?! Whats up with that :-/

NebAce1
05-07-2007, 05:18 PM
I think theyre going to look at both for sure. The local schools in the area are more interested in making sure they communicate and scout for the players in the area since they have a better shot at getting them than those farther away usually, so theyll probably check the section rankings and possibly make it out to the bigger sectional tournaments and highschool stuff. Otherwise, the big time schools who are recruiting even heavier are looking at the national rankings more so, along with other international players too. Tennis is a hard recruiting sport compared with, say, basketball, and often times you need to make first contact with a coach and possibly make a trip out there so they can answer your questions and see you hit, or maybe send them tape of you playing and notify them of your rankings. Certainly both rankings are important, while the national ranking can give you more options if you have done well at that level, you may catch the eye of out of state schools that are looking to get new players to come in.

Thanks for anwsering my questions.

TonLars
05-07-2007, 05:30 PM
Last year a D1 player from Minnesota came and swept everyone. WOW. He(Avery Ticer) stomped Gustavus' #1 player Andy Bryan in the finals in the open. To Andy's defense, he had to play in the doubles final beforehand so he wasn't 100% but it's crazy to see the difference in a D1 player and a top D3 player.

Back on topic...... Tony i'd love to see videos of you playing. It's always great to watch good players who aren't on tour play and try to integrate parts of their game into mine and so on.
Thanks for the comments. Avery Ticer definitely is an amazing player. He played #1 for Minnesota which in the past had been one of the top programs; often top 25 or better. He personally also finished at the end of his senior year ranked #34 in the nation for singles, and made the year end tournament. Andy Bryan (and Jesse) is also a very good player and he is one of the best for Division 3.

TENNIS_IS_FUN
05-07-2007, 06:05 PM
VERY nice strokes TonLars!

I liked the very early take back on your backhand but oddly i didnt see the same with your forehand! Your strokes look a bit mechanical but other than that, amazing!

cereal
05-07-2007, 06:11 PM
hey ton lars you know a guy named jimmy sherouse plays for st. cloud from
texas?

shindemac
05-07-2007, 06:12 PM

I have no idea what you're talking about. I was quoting myself. I wasn't even talking about u so I don't know why you're saying this.

Back on topic. Whatever your rating was, 2 years is a long time and I would hope you can at least improve 1 ntrp in that time, esp. since you seem to play very competitively. I think your new vids solidify your rating cause it shows you can control your pace and spin. I know of someone who's trying to climb the pro ladder too for the last 3 years, and I'm surprised how slow and difficult it is. Anyways, good luck with your journey.

J011yroger
05-07-2007, 06:40 PM
How do/would you do against the 55yo instructor?

I have never played him, he helps me with mental coaching, we only did our first on court session last month.

How I would do, would depend on the surface and of course since I am currently such a streaky player, which one of me showed up.

On grass, he is unbeatable, I think other than my first serves I would struggle to win points.

On clay, I don't know how to play, I don't know if I am better off playing my normal offensive game which is not as effective or a more defensive game which I am not as good at. My primary focus this winter was to get better on clay, and I made great strides, and did make the final of an open tourney on it but still am a full level worse player on dirt. I would say that the match would look competitive and close to the observer, but that the score would be a lopsided win for him.

On a gritty hard court, I could see myself being able to put something together, because although he moves well and doesn't miss, I can really hit and serve on that surface. But conversely, if he is getting my serves back, and keeping the ball low and deep, well, lets say I wouldn't be shocked if I got smoked too.

Maybe I am not giving myself enough credit, but I really feel that I need this full year of open tournament play to get seasoned, and work out a few glitches in my game. Then next year I can have a good base to start from and improve on.

J

TonLars
05-07-2007, 08:01 PM
VERY nice strokes TonLars!

I liked the very early take back on your backhand but oddly i didnt see the same with your forehand! Your strokes look a bit mechanical but other than that, amazing!
Thanks for commenting. Forehand is better now. I keep hearing this "robotic" "mechanical" (etc) theme, lol! Im going to take it as a compliment though since I dont like to miss much:p From all these comments, this must be maybe part of the reason why several people call me the machine lol!

hey ton lars you know a guy named jimmy sherouse plays for st. cloud from
texas?
Yup sure do, he is a freshman here, very nice kid. He is not a bad player and has some potential, but he was their 8th man this year and played exhibition. I was the assistant coach this year for both mens and womens teams.

Back on topic. Whatever your rating was, 2 years is a long time and I would hope you can at least improve 1 ntrp in that time, esp. since you seem to play very competitively. I think your new vids solidify your rating cause it shows you can control your pace and spin. I know of someone who's trying to climb the pro ladder too for the last 3 years, and I'm surprised how slow and difficult it is. Anyways, good luck with your journey.
Thanks. I have to point out again though that these videos are actually from two years ago in 2005. Youd be surprised how much better that is from 2003, believe me a major improvement. Now in 2007, which I have no video of, the forehand is definitely much better, and other things are better but probably most importantly is the experience I have now from all the matches with good players, and so Im a smarter player and such.

Of course im always going to have the mindset and try to beat anyone I play, but really I dont think I can play pro. Theres definitely alot of very very tough players out there and while my game is solid and Im pretty fit, the reality probably is my game even now in 2007 which is twice as aggressive as 2 years ago, just isnt nearly big enough to beat guys that are at the top of Division 1 or players from other countries that are tough. I can groundstroke with pretty much anyone which is sweet, but ive had more than a couple people comment on the fact that I could be twice as good if I had a big serve, and that its sad that someone with my groundstrokes doesnt have as good of a serve to go with it. Its not bad, but its not "big". Im just doing the Futures for fun this summer to see how it goes and i will probably win matches here and there; a tough goal of mine will be to qualify for a main draw. I love to compete, and so otherwise the Open tournaments in the area I play, and have a good shot at winning any and all of them and they also pay out quite alot so that is sweet to go after.

ChipNCharge
05-07-2007, 08:40 PM
I have never used led actually, no....you dont need lead if you just find the right stick.

Huh?! Let me get this straight. You're a 5.5 and you DON'T have your racquets weighted to SW2?? That's impossible! ;)

TonLars
05-07-2007, 09:14 PM
Huh?! Let me get this straight. You're a 5.5 and you DON'T have your racquets weighted to SW2?? That's impossible! ;)

As I also said which may be more surprising to you, I use an oversize racket and its relatively lighter than racquets other people I play use. I have demoed other stuff, not much though. Basically nothing feels right except what Im comfortable with. Since ive always used the same thing basically, I dont want to change. The racquet ive been using for 2 yrs now is more or less exactly the same as what I used 8 yrs before that switch. And before that racquet which was when I was in about 6th-7th grade, was using an oversize a couple yrs:o The Head Ti and Flexpoint radicals give a nice mix of control and power, and theres no sense in me trying to use something of a different weight or head size.

Urza187
05-08-2007, 05:56 AM
Hey TonLars, where in MN are you from? If it isn't much of a drive, you should come down to Dubuque, IA for the Mississippi Valley Open. It's usually around the last week of July(last week or next to last week). Last years 1st place was I think at least $1000(it could have been 1500, i'm not sure). Gustavus brings a bunch of people and there are always other good players too(There is a former Pac10 Champion who is always the favorite when he enters, and a few years ago Drake's former 1 and 2 came down). It'd be cool to see you there.

kevhen
05-08-2007, 08:11 AM
honestly bad second set, but yeah Lundell is definitely a solid 5.0 and was ranked in the top 5 to 10 in the nation for Division 3 singles. You must have figured out real soon that he doesnt go for much and rarely misses a ball im sure

At first I just played my game and rallied with the occasional net attack but we would have 10 ball rallies and eventually he would finish with a winner or I would make the error. So after losing 2-3 games this way, I started going for more on the serve and going to net alot more, even serve and volley, but of course he handles pace well and has good wheels so even though I was winning a couple points each game, I wasn't winning any games!!!! I was ready to quit after one set since it was supposed to be a 4.5 team doubles practice that night but the other guys weren't done so we played a couple more games and I just tried to play smart tennis and keep the ball in play more down the middle and make him hit winners but he won those games too but it was fun anyway to play someone who makes it look so easy. I think he even eased up on his serve just so we could have some good rallies, but he may not be a big server but he does put a decent amount of spin on his serves and groundstrokes as well.

fearless1
05-08-2007, 08:18 AM

Nice hitting. Kind of strange you want "lesser folk" to check your strokes on video....I'm inclined to think that most of the opin here at TWf couldn't possibly matter to you in a technical sense. Plus, I'm sure you are already aware that it's consistent shot making that wins the points and matches no matter what your stroke type or style is.

Anyway, one player that came to mind as I was watching your strokes is Jimmy Connors. JC, the flat hitting brash basher, described his own strokes as, "simple, compact, just straight back then swing forward." What some here have said about your strokes as being "mechanical" is in reality simplicity and high efficiency.

My stroke style is very similar to yours (or JC), so I know what you are experiencing when I hit a ball. A few important things that many don't realize about your stroke style (compared to loopier type strokes): it's easier to hit a VERY accurate heavy ball; not as physically taxing; the sameness or repeatability of the stroke is conducive to very consistent hitting.

Far more important than your strokes [style] is your playing style when the points count. Are you a serve and volleyer, all courter, dedicated baseliner, attacker, counter puncher, etc. What is the "pace" or "feel" of your game too...very aggressive, patient, soft, hard, brilliant tactician or are you a "street fighter", etc.?

What do you feel your weaknesses are? What do you think would prevent you from reaching say an ATP top 100 ranking within the next 24 months?

Fedace
05-08-2007, 08:23 AM
uh didn't you say you were like a 4.0 level player in other threads? I am not sure how many 5.5 level players would take advice from a 4.0 level player especially if that player is not a coach. But who knows I am sure Tony thinks you are a highly credible person based on your other posts so maybe he will take your advice.

How do you know i am 4.0 level and not a 6.5 level player ? How do you know i didn't actually play for Stanford in the past ? I will leave this as mystery.;)

kevhen
05-08-2007, 08:38 AM
Waterloo Open is even closer than Dubuque and they offer like $1000 to the winner as well. Usually U of Iowa or Drake U guys show up for their paychecks. If they are still in school, they just take an amount equal to gas, hotel, and food expenses.

kevhen
05-08-2007, 08:43 AM
Hey Tony, do you go to hockey games as St Cloud? Did you ever see your goaltender Bobby Goephert play in the last couple of years? He played in Cedar Rapids here when he was playing junior hockey and was awesome to watch as the quickest goalie I have ever seen. He will very likely be in the NHL soon as he won league MVP awards and took the team far.

TonLars
05-08-2007, 08:53 AM
Nice hitting. Kind of strange you want "lesser folk" to check your strokes on video....I'm inclined to think that most of the opin here at TWf couldn't possibly matter to you in a technical sense. Plus, I'm sure you are already aware that it's consistent shot making that wins the points and matches and not stroke type or style.

Anyway, one player that came to mind as I was watching your strokes is Jimmy Connors. JC, the flat hitting brash basher, described his own strokes as, "simple, compact, just straight back then swing forward." What some here have said about your strokes as being "mechanical" is in reality simplicity and high efficiency.

My stroke style is very similar to yours (or JC), so I know what you are experiencing when I hit a ball. A few important things that many don't realize about your stroke style (compared to loopier type strokes): it's easier to hit a VERY accurate heavy ball; not as physically taxing; the sameness or repeatability of the stroke is conducive to very consistent hitting.

Far more important than your strokes [style] is your playing style when the points count. Are you a serve and volleyer, all courter, dedicated baseliner, attacker, counter puncher, etc. What is the "pace" or "feel" of your game too...very aggressive, patient, soft, hard, brilliant tactician or are you a "street fighter", etc.?

What do you feel your weaknesses are? What do you think would prevent you from reaching say an ATP top 100 ranking within the next 24 months?

Hey, thanks for taking the time to post. I guess I didnt really think of it as coming to "lesser folk" but more so figured I could get some interesting feedback and discussion, and knew that people would probably comment on the things that needed work on back then 2 yrs ago when this was filmed. I think quite a bit of the feedback has been dead on, and fortunately I have improved my forehand alot since these videos were shot way back then. Otherwise, I just thought it was cool to post the videos up and join YouTube haha!
It was interesting to see what you say about Jimmy Connors and his strokes, thanks for that insight. I definitely feel the same way you do about it and I agree with everything you said. Everyone has their own style. Its been interesting to see the comparisons on here to other players and for the most part I can see the relation to those names that have been thrown around, especially Connors and Venus.
I will try to answer your question about my style. Im definitely a baseliner. I do not serve and volley, and I do not come to the net often other than when I really have gotten the advantage in the point to put away a weak ball or possibly to put some pressure on someone to pass off an approach. When these videos were shot, my style was absolutely "patient and grind" and I moved well. Today its a little different, I have to say im a fair amount better than in 2005. The strongest part of my game is that I still move exceptionally well and get alot of tough balls back and hit shots on the run fairly well. While im still patient, im hitting a considerable amount harder now, and I am trying to work my opponent mainly cross court from corner to corner with good placement without going for winners really, but just forcing alot and making them run. I think the best example I could give you that is similar to the way I play now is Agassi. So Ive gone from patient grinder baseline to smart agressive baseline.
Weaknesses, Ive always had a serve that is an achilles heel for my level, and my volleys are nothing special because I have practiced groundstrokes my whole life. The serve really isnt bad, and thats because I have improved it a little, but traditionally when im playing very good players im always the weaker serve. Today, I probably hit it not much more than 100, and it is placed well and relatively consistent; really both my 1st and 2nd serve are a what you could call a standard kick.
Its also funny you mention ATP top 100. I mean, most people are going to laugh at that in the face, and when ive heard it I get all wide eyed and laugh a little. But at the same time, deep inside I think I have or had the potential to possibly do something maybe somewhat close to that. I hate to make excuses, but for the purpose of understanding me, growing up im from a farm town in Minnesota with nobody over a 4.0 around to hit with, and neither of my parents played much, and I live over an hour from indoor courts in the winter, etc. I improved ALOT in my 2nd year of college, and by then maybe I could have transferred to a good D1 school but I didnt and maybe I could be better right now. A guy in Florida that is a known coach saw me hit this winter and was really excited to train me and said, "hey, you have got the potential to do alot more, lets get you into the top 100 in a couple years, times running out, Ive seen Scoville and Donald young and they really dont have anything on you and the way you all hit and move and compete isnt any different". So I think also I would need to make a commitment to train somewhere like with a coach and with practice players like that instead of even now, Im practicing with 4.5- weak 5.0 players (if im lucky) every day. Ive just tried to work hard with what ive got and thats taken me to where I am now.

TonLars
05-08-2007, 08:58 AM
Hey TonLars, where in MN are you from? If it isn't much of a drive, you should come down to Dubuque, IA for the Mississippi Valley Open. It's usually around the last week of July(last week or next to last week). Last years 1st place was I think at least $1000(it could have been 1500, i'm not sure). Gustavus brings a bunch of people and there are always other good players too(There is a former Pac10 Champion who is always the favorite when he enters, and a few years ago Drake's former 1 and 2 came down). It'd be cool to see you there.
Its quite a drive actually, but I have thought about playing those tournaments, I just heard about them last year actually for the first time. I will have to see, itd be fun, but as of now I have tournaments almost every weekend this summer that I have all planned out, I will see though!

Waterloo Open is even closer than Dubuque and they offer like $1000 to the winner as well. Usually U of Iowa or Drake U guys show up for their paychecks. If they are still in school, they just take an amount equal to gas, hotel, and food expenses.
Yeah those Drake players are good, Anthony Perkins had done well in the past summers and won quite a few winners checks. Ill have to keep that tournament in mind too, thanks! Im out of eligibility now so I dont have to take a smaller check hehe

Hey Tony, do you go to hockey games as St Cloud? Did you ever see your goaltender Bobby Goephert play in the last couple of years? He played in Cedar Rapids here when he was playing junior hockey and was awesome to watch as the quickest goalie I have ever seen. He will very likely be in the NHL soon as he won league MVP awards and took the team far.
Haha Im actually not a hockey fan, I played and like basketball. Hockey definitely is the big sport in this state and at our school though, and SCSU did quite well this last season.

goober
05-08-2007, 08:59 AM
How do you know i am 4.0 level and not a 6.5 level player ? How do you know i didn't actually play for Stanford in the past ? I will leave this as mystery.;)

Sure you use to play for Stanford in the past and are 6.5 level player. I know you and Matt Bruch are tight. Oh I don't know why I thought you were a 4.0 player. Could it be maybe because you posted this?

they are not very good, your best bet is to go to a local privately owned tennis shop. I know they absolutely cannot string gut cause they nearly broke my gut string every time. Do you play any USTA tennis? I used to play for men's 4.0 team out of high point. Adrian Guihat was our captain. i believe they still play and are doing pretty well.

Keep living in your Stanford fantasy dreamworld Fedace. Keep telling players that are way better than you what they are doing wrong because I know you know better than they do or their coach.

Fedace
05-08-2007, 09:04 AM
Sure you use to play for Stanford in the past and are 6.5 level player. I know you and Matt Bruch are tight. Oh I don't know why I thought you were a 4.0 player. Could it be maybe because you posted this?

Keep living in your Stanford fantasy dreamworld Fedace. Keep telling players that are way better than you what they are doing wrong because I know you know better than they do or their coach.

trust me when i say this, there are many formal division 1 players in the 4.0 level as bad as it sounds. FYI, i did play in 4.0 level but only for 1 season and played at 4.5 and 5.0 level for several seasons. Not that i have to prove anything to you. and yes, i do know Matt, we are not best friends or anything but i do know his mom and him.

goober
05-08-2007, 09:32 AM
trust me when i say this, there are many formal division 1 players in the 4.0 level as bad as it sounds. FYI, i did play in 4.0 level but only for 1 season and played at 4.5 and 5.0 level for several seasons. Not that i have to prove anything to you.

Well you just questioned how do I know you are a 4.0 player and not a 6.5 level player.

So now you are claiming that you are actually a 5.0 player that played on a 4.0 team. That's makes you a pretty bad cheater.

wings56
05-08-2007, 09:57 AM
Tony, I have to say I feel sorry for you about all this negative criticism. I played #7 this year for a D1 school and got to see all sorts of players. I think its funny that people judge you so harshly for your strokes. I don't think people realize how many other factors make up a good tennis player. Have you ever seen Daniel Omana from UT-Arlington play? When I saw him and saw him warming up against our #2 player I thought he was joking. It was very ugly and he did not generate hardly any power. Needless to say, he beat our #2 in three sets. He had a wonderful court sense and knew how to play the game. His strokes were far worse than yours(which are not even bad). I would just like everyone to realize that results speak for themselves. I'm sure if you were ranked in the top 50 that you are a very good player, despite what anyone on here might say. I played a top 50 D2 player in my first ever college match last fall. I pretty much got worked.....1,0. Now I was extremely nervous being a freshman at my first tournament and on a normal day it would have been closer(probably 3,4) but he was still clearly better. I wish you the best of luck in your tennis career!

darkblue
05-08-2007, 11:08 AM
who the f**k is this eastarchangle guy? (utube comment)
according to the profile, he is 65 yrs old.

kevhen
05-08-2007, 11:23 AM
Yeah those Drake players are good, Anthony Perkins had done well in the past summers and won quite a few winners checks. Ill have to keep that tournament in mind too, thanks! Im out of eligibility now so I dont have to take a smaller check hehe

Perkins didn't play last year so a South American guy won. He didn't speak much English but he and I were enjoying watching Federer and Nadal at the French Open during the Waterloo Open before his final.

Perkins was awesome to watch as he got everything back and all his passing shots were like an inch over the net. He would frustrate all the big 120mph servers by getting everything back.

Perkins who is British is like a 6.0 in my opinion. The SA kid that won last year was more of a 5.5 who did make mistakes going for too much at times. They limit the draw to 32 so you have to register early for Waterloo which is June 9th-10th.

The women usually only have like 4-6 entries so most of them make back their entry fee and a little more even if they lose first round.

TonLars
05-08-2007, 12:20 PM
Tony, I have to say I feel sorry for you about all this negative criticism. I played #7 this year for a D1 school and got to see all sorts of players. I think its funny that people judge you so harshly for your strokes. I don't think people realize how many other factors make up a good tennis player. I would just like everyone to realize that results speak for themselves. I'm sure if you were ranked in the top 50 that you are a very good player, despite what anyone on here might say. I played a top 50 D2 player in my first ever college match last fall. I pretty much got worked.....1,0. Now I was extremely nervous being a freshman at my first tournament and on a normal day it would have been closer(probably 3,4) but he was still clearly better. I wish you the best of luck in your tennis career!
Thankyou for the kind words. Really I have not been offended by any criticism on here. I actually am very flattered by how complimentary almost everyone has been as I expected much more negativity actually. Most of the analysis has been very good as well; my forehand definitely was not strong 2 yrs ago. Maybe someday I can get some video of more recent playing. Which school do you play for? Sounds like you must be doing pretty well, so good luck to you also in your next 3 yrs of college tennis!

who the f**k is this eastarchangle guy? (utube comment)
according to the profile, he is 65 yrs old.
I dont know, he has some interesting comments though. I thank whoever came to my defense haha, but actually when you read what he says its more funny than anything the way he worded some things. "Senior citizen racket speed at most", lol! And youre right it said he is 65, so what is he saying about that then!? I deleted the really obscene comments so those cant be seen any longer.

They limit the draw to 32 so you have to register early for Waterloo which is June 9th-10th.
I just checked my schedule and I actually have June 9th free right now! Im thinking I very likely will come play that tournament. Im assuming its USTA so I can register on the website? If not, maybe you know a way I could get an entry form mailed to me? Thanks Kev

kevhen
05-08-2007, 12:26 PM
http://tennislink.usta.com/tournaments/TournamentHome/Tournament.aspx?T=56785
It's USTA. There is alway good talent in the Open so sometimes I like watching that and almost forget to play in my own 4.0 matches.

This is my favorite tourney of the summer as it's still not so hot and the kid in charge Ryan Flaherty always runs a good tournament. They have 16 courts on site so the Open level players don't have to go anywhere else to play and they give a free picnic dinner on Saturday. It's $19 and includes a t-shirt.

The Open starts Friday night at 6PM. Win 5 rounds and collect $1000. Half the guys are 4.5s and the other half are 5.0+

I'll stop over and say hi if I see you in the draw.

sinneTennis
05-08-2007, 02:08 PM
I have no idea what you're talking about. I was quoting myself. I wasn't even talking about u so I don't know why you're saying this.

Refer back to the THREAD you were quoting, and look at your response to my comment.

supafly_81
05-08-2007, 06:06 PM
I like how consistent you are, in those vids you look like you can go all day. You would make a excellent hitting partner haha and probably a good instructor if you are ever thinking about doing that in your later years. You are probably more agressive in matches right? or is that your style of play? Well anyways good stuff, next time you make a vid, have one of you playing a game or something, cause for sure we would like to see some of your agressive shots. Peace

Anton
05-08-2007, 07:48 PM
From this video:

Good footwork, very solid consistency.

Looks like you depend on your consistency rather then power to win at your level.

Now, there is some element of a debate and subjectivity to this, BUT IMO, as far as the constructive criticism goes:

Now just by looking at the strokes and not where the ball goes, it doesn't seem like anything too beautiful there - not bad, but very mechanical and a bit short.

The way you take your forehand/backhand strokes straight back seems to be a product of a strict begginer/reformation instruction you did not refine much as you grew comfortable with them. It is my opinion that you've just about hit the ceiling of the level of game play that is possible with such strokes (in fact I'm surprised you got this far)

What is supposed to happen is player loosens up that very rigid form to a more loopy form (not always, as there where some examples of pros to the contrary), which pays off with more topspin and pace at expense of perhaps a slightly longer preparation (which should be no problem given your good footwork) for the swing as the racket is taken further back (and most often high up)
------------

Watch Roddick's forehand and notice how he takes the racket back with both hands, this is a great habbit to have to insure feet placement (which is a bit open for his western grip, but you do that well already) and more shoulder rotation (which is what you need to add more of imo)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbOal0dK72c
-----------

Similarly with your back hand - take it further back and tuck that racket to your body a little more (by bending left arm in more) and with a little more loop on it.

Also, you point the face of the racket upwards in preparation for the swing, this is your learned way to make up for lack of full swing power with a heavy wrist twist which happens as you change the direction of your racket face to forward. There is a lot more spin to be had here I promise you.

Here is a very exaggerated backhand loop:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQQfCSI4B78&mode=related&search=

I'm not saying you should loop it THAT much, as you have more strength and don't need it to be that long, but mostly notice how the left hand is bent and close to the body as the forward part of the swing begins.
--------

Lastly - you make the same mistake (well sorta) as me on the slice - you are using too much shoulder/torso rotation and not enough of your arm and tricep muscle, which results in much less spin and pace being produced.

To fix this I pay attention to have my arm bent in the elbow all the way as I prepare for a slice and concentrate on contracting the tricep as I slice - the difference is day and night - very low deep slice and with pace too.

Again, your legs seem to be doing the right thing here too.

Hopefully this helps (it better! I've taken alot of time to type this up!) :)

TonLars
05-08-2007, 08:31 PM
From this video:

Good footwork, very solid consistency.

Looks like you depend on your consistency rather then power to win at your level.

Now, there is some element of a debate and subjectivity to this, BUT IMO, as far as the constructive criticism goes:

Now just by looking at the strokes and not where the ball goes, it doesn't seem like anything too beautiful there - not bad, but very mechanical and a bit short.

The way you take your forehand/backhand strokes straight back seems to be a product of a strict begginer/reformation instruction you did not refine much as you grew comfortable with them. It is my opinion that you've just about hit the ceiling of the level of game play that is possible with such strokes (in fact I'm surprised you got this far)

What is supposed to happen is player loosens up that very rigid form to a more loopy form (not always, as there where some examples of pros to the contrary), which pays off with more topspin and pace at expense of perhaps a slightly longer preparation (which should be no problem given your good footwork) for the swing as the racket is taken further back (and most often high up)
------------

Watch Roddick's forehand and notice how he takes the racket back with both hands, this is a great habbit to have to insure feet placement (which is a bit open for his western grip, but you do that well already) and more shoulder rotation (which is what you need to add more of imo)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbOal0dK72c
-----------

Similarly with your back hand - take it further back and tuck that racket to your body a little more (by bending left arm in more) and with a little more loop on it.

Also, you point the face of the racket upwards in preparation for the swing, this is your learned way to make up for lack of full swing power with a heavy wrist twist which happens as you change the direction of your racket face to forward. There is a lot more spin to be had here I promise you.

Here is a very exaggerated backhand loop:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQQfCSI4B78&mode=related&search=

I'm not saying you should loop it THAT much, as you have more strength and don't need it to be that long, but mostly notice how the left hand is bent and close to the body as the forward part of the swing begins.
--------

Lastly - you make the same mistake (well sorta) as me on the slice - you are using too much shoulder/torso rotation and not enough of your arm and tricep muscle, which results in much less spin and pace being produced.

To fix this I pay attention to have my arm bent in the elbow all the way as I prepare for a slice and concentrate on contracting the tricep as I slice - the difference is day and night - very low deep slice and with pace too.

Again, your legs seem to be doing the right thing here too.

Hopefully this helps (it better! I've taken alot of time to type this up!) :)
Thanks for the extended feedback, definitely interesting to read. As far as the compact strokes theres definitely some trade offs compared to a fuller or loopier stroke. The form and early take back was how I was taught the backhand at a very young age, and so the backhand has no breakdowns and has been my best shot my whole career. Otherwise, with every other shot in the game, I wasnt really taught it early or well, and I developed it on my own through time and changes in self teaching. The forehand is just as good if not better than the backhand now and that is why I dont feel uncomfortable saying on here that I can groundstroke with anyone. I could improve quite a bit and move past a ceiling concerning other parts of my game; most importantly my serve, volleys, and as for everyone perhaps sharpen up little things. I think youre right and I am sacrificng some power and spin potential with compact strokes, but I have enjoyed the 'mechanical' comments I have read on here because my objective is hitting the ball consistent, deep, and from corner to corner. I completely agree that maybe I am too stiff as far as using my entire body goes; im not getting the full potential and power out of my strokes as if I were to use more rotation and legs and etc. I will have to consider these things to improve further. Thanks for the tips on the slice, I really dont use it much except for defense and out of reach for the most part, but that stroke certainly could use attention too and not be ignored. Thanks again!

shojun25
05-08-2007, 08:45 PM
All I can say is wow. If that is 5.5 level, I have a long way to go ;)

You have a lot of topspin on your forehand and your backhand is pretty powerful as well as consistent.

Good luck on future tourneys.

Harry
05-08-2007, 09:00 PM

if tony or anyone can provide insight...

the shot at :59, did you take the ball a little late on that one? I have a bad habit of letting the ball drop from its highest point before i make contact, and that makes the ball fly far. So for that shot, was it late? I hope I made a correct assumption because it will help improve my game.

Slazenger
05-08-2007, 09:12 PM
but I have enjoyed the 'mechanical' comments I have read on here because my objective is hitting the ball consistent, deep, and from corner to corner.

Exactly.

I hope some of the peope talking about mechanical have played against a 6.0 player before.

I did so earlier this week.
Well against a retired pro(who shall remain nameless bcoz of what I'm about to say) who had a bad career and really struggled with getting injuries because his mechanics are bad and he REALLY muscles the ball to get a lot of pace. If you saw him play you would think he was a 3.5. 4.0 on his best day.
He is black.

Well, one thing you can't really judge when watching someone is weight of ball and his was HEAVY. Ridiculous topspin drives on both the forehand and the backhand.
Consistency and accuracy despite his strokes. He may muscle them but he has learnt how to muscle his ball consistently and accurately.
He beat me HANDILY.

I'm pretty certain just watching TonLars play that he would do the same to A LOT of people on this thread including me.

Give it a rest.

TonLars
05-08-2007, 09:28 PM

if tony or anyone can provide insight...

the shot at :59, did you take the ball a little late on that one? I have a bad habit of letting the ball drop from its highest point before i make contact, and that makes the ball fly far. So for that shot, was it late? I hope I made a correct assumption because it will help improve my game.
When I first saw your post I assumed you saw a ball I may have hit late off of a hard hit shot, or a mishit or something. But what I see you mean now is that I let it drop a little more than usual, rather than as you said take it at its highest point. This was just a shorter and slower moving ball and I hit it at a lower point than most of the other shots, which wasnt a problem since I just hit that particular one with a bit more spin to clear the net and such. But youre definitely right, Ideally you do not want to let the ball drop, especially on shorter balls, and instead anticipate these and move up quickly. Getting up to the ball and taking it higher rather than lazily getting to hit and taking it lower makes the difference between being able to hit an offensive or defensive shot in that situation. Hope that answered or helped you

Anton
05-08-2007, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the extended feedback, definitely interesting to read. As far as the compact strokes theres definitely some trade offs compared to a fuller or loopier stroke. The form and early take back was how I was taught the backhand at a very young age, and so the backhand has no breakdowns and has been my best shot my whole career. Otherwise, with every other shot in the game, I wasnt really taught it early or well, and I developed it on my own through time and changes in self teaching. The forehand is just as good if not better than the backhand now and that is why I dont feel uncomfortable saying on here that I can groundstroke with anyone. I could improve quite a bit and move past a ceiling concerning other parts of my game; most importantly my serve, volleys, and as for everyone perhaps sharpen up little things. I think youre right and I am sacrificng some power and spin potential with compact strokes, but I have enjoyed the 'mechanical' comments I have read on here because my objective is hitting the ball consistent, deep, and from corner to corner. I completely agree that maybe I am too stiff as far as using my entire body goes; im not getting the full potential and power out of my strokes as if I were to use more rotation and legs and etc. I will have to consider these things to improve further. Thanks for the tips on the slice, I really dont use it much except for defense and out of reach for the most part, but that stroke certainly could use attention too and not be ignored. Thanks again!

np,

There is nothing in the well trained long strokes that is counter to ball being consistent or deep or going from corner to corner, on most of the strokes you took you had way more time then you needed to prepare and spent most of it just waiting for it. Of course in the actual game time is usually tighter. Often in the game I catch myself going back to shorter swings and have to force myself to lengthen them again (with good results usually)

but yea, definitely, transitions are tough and sometimes a demoralizing step back is taken to take two forward.

The slice I too neglected heavily, but as I'm trying to incorporate it more into my game I found it a good way to switch the game up on your opponent who is getting a little to comfortable with your top spin and keeps to the baseline - frustrations abound as I suddenly pull out slices and he keeps missing those short balls he has to take on last second run. He comes in a little more and it is again back to regularly scheduled fast topspin balls into far corners.

BTW my avatar is how not to prepare for the slice :) The left hand should be all the way up by the head, pulling the right hand to bent in, while the elbow stays.

drakulie
05-08-2007, 09:51 PM
too robotic to be 5.5!

Uhhmm, ever heard of Schalken? Doesn't get any more "robotic" than that, and the great Agassi himself has said he had some of the best strokes on tour.

Oh, and by the way, TonLars has some awesome strokes>> just look at where those shots are landing, and the consistency. maybe you should try and learn something from his "robotic" looking strokes.

J011yroger
05-08-2007, 09:55 PM
^^^ Anton, what level player are you? If you can thump, maybe we can meet half way like at the NTC, or if you wanna take a ride to Eisenhower, there are a bunch of us on the weekends.

J

Anton
05-08-2007, 10:19 PM
^^^ Anton, what level player are you? If you can thump, maybe we can meet half way like at the NTC, or if you wanna take a ride to Eisenhower, there are a bunch of us on the weekends.

J

Eisenhower? where is that?

I am a Solid 4.0 transitioning to 4.5

Unfortunately my game is well behind my theory
I've only been hitting with any sort of regularity for about 1 year and only now truly feel I found a frame to fit my game well on all fronts (and thank god too, after messing around with about 20 different frames :))

I have a lot of stuff to work on before I'd drive out of Staten Island (thats NYC btw) for a good tennis match. Give me another year thou :grin:

stormholloway
05-08-2007, 10:25 PM
Yeah, people considered Lendl robotic too. Now he's polishing his trophies with his robot arms.

Strokes for the OP look solid. Consistency is obviously his game. Well done. I wish I was that consistent... and not completely out of shape.

zapvor
05-08-2007, 11:15 PM
the big thing i noticed was how fast your takeback was. you were ready way before the ball even bounced! thanks for the vids.

35ft6
05-09-2007, 02:56 AM
Exactly.

I hope some of the peope talking about mechanical have played against a 6.0 player before.

I did so earlier this week.
Well against a retired pro(who shall remain nameless bcoz of what I'm about to say) who had a bad career and really struggled with getting injuries because his mechanics are bad and he REALLY muscles the ball to get a lot of pace. If you saw him play you would think he was a 3.5. 4.0 on his best day.
He is black.

Well, one thing you can't really judge when watching someone is weight of ball and his was HEAVY. Ridiculous topspin drives on both the forehand and the backhand.
Consistency and accuracy despite his strokes. He may muscle them but he has learnt how to muscle his ball consistently and accurately.
He beat me HANDILY. Ronald Agenor? But it can't be. I've seen him play and his strokes look nothing like any 4.0's I've ever seen.

wings56
05-09-2007, 06:28 AM
Thankyou for the kind words. Really I have not been offended by any criticism on here. I actually am very flattered by how complimentary almost everyone has been as I expected much more negativity actually. Most of the analysis has been very good as well; my forehand definitely was not strong 2 yrs ago. Maybe someday I can get some video of more recent playing. Which school do you play for? Sounds like you must be doing pretty well, so good luck to you also in your next 3 yrs of college tennis!

I don't know if I'm doing well yet......Hopefully things will be better next year, it was quite a shift from junior tennis to college, but I think I will be ready for next year. I should also be able to get a redshirt for this year because I played so few matches. Oh yeah, and I play for Lamar University...lol

MTXR
05-09-2007, 01:57 PM
it looks like you have a hitch in the ground strokes.

TonLars
05-09-2007, 04:39 PM
it looks like you have a hitch in the ground strokes.

My old forehand you mean. It looks like you didnt watch the backhand;)

TENNIS_IS_FUN
05-09-2007, 08:14 PM
Good Lord i just watched your short angeled forehands....would be illegal in a doubles match :O

fearless1
05-09-2007, 08:35 PM
Hey, thanks for taking the time to post. I guess I didnt really think of it as coming to "lesser folk" but more so figured I could get some interesting feedback and discussion, and knew that people would probably comment on the things that needed work on back then 2 yrs ago when this was filmed. I think quite a bit of the feedback has been dead on, and fortunately I have improved my forehand alot since these videos were shot way back then. Otherwise, I just thought it was cool to post the videos up and join YouTube haha!
It was interesting to see what you say about Jimmy Connors and his strokes, thanks for that insight. I definitely feel the same way you do about it and I agree with everything you said. Everyone has their own style. Its been interesting to see the comparisons on here to other players and for the most part I can see the relation to those names that have been thrown around, especially Connors and Venus.
I will try to answer your question about my style. Im definitely a baseliner. I do not serve and volley, and I do not come to the net often other than when I really have gotten the advantage in the point to put away a weak ball or possibly to put some pressure on someone to pass off an approach. When these videos were shot, my style was absolutely "patient and grind" and I moved well. Today its a little different, I have to say im a fair amount better than in 2005. The strongest part of my game is that I still move exceptionally well and get alot of tough balls back and hit shots on the run fairly well. While im still patient, im hitting a considerable amount harder now, and I am trying to work my opponent mainly cross court from corner to corner with good placement without going for winners really, but just forcing alot and making them run. I think the best example I could give you that is similar to the way I play now is Agassi. So Ive gone from patient grinder baseline to smart agressive baseline.
Weaknesses, Ive always had a serve that is an achilles heel for my level, and my volleys are nothing special because I have practiced groundstrokes my whole life. The serve really isnt bad, and thats because I have improved it a little, but traditionally when im playing very good players im always the weaker serve. Today, I probably hit it not much more than 100, and it is placed well and relatively consistent; really both my 1st and 2nd serve are a what you could call a standard kick.
Its also funny you mention ATP top 100. I mean, most people are going to laugh at that in the face, and when ive heard it I get all wide eyed and laugh a little. But at the same time, deep inside I think I have or had the potential to possibly do something maybe somewhat close to that. I hate to make excuses, but for the purpose of understanding me, growing up im from a farm town in Minnesota with nobody over a 4.0 around to hit with, and neither of my parents played much, and I live over an hour from indoor courts in the winter, etc. I improved ALOT in my 2nd year of college, and by then maybe I could have transferred to a good D1 school but I didnt and maybe I could be better right now. A guy in Florida that is a known coach saw me hit this winter and was really excited to train me and said, "hey, you have got the potential to do alot more, lets get you into the top 100 in a couple years, times running out, Ive seen Scoville and Donald young and they really dont have anything on you and the way you all hit and move and compete isnt any different". So I think also I would need to make a commitment to train somewhere like with a coach and with practice players like that instead of even now, Im practicing with 4.5- weak 5.0 players (if im lucky) every day. Ive just tried to work hard with what ive got and thats taken me to where I am now.

Lots of people still posting about your strokes and recommending changes in that part of your game. I don't know about you, but to make changes to the strokes now would set your ATP goals back an unacceptable period of time. Also, if "it ain't broke, don't fix it". Plus, it's not strokes that need fixing. IMO, your game could use a very effective net game added to it if you are truly lacking one.

Look familiar...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEFvYMpuJLI

Your strokes won't look the same moslty because you grip your racquet differently. JC's left hand grip is a weak eastern (almost continental) and he uses this one grip for both his fh and 2hb groundstrokes, volleys, and skyhook overhead. Enough with strokes...

So, what's your gameplan for improving your tennis? Are you going to try to improving your existing method even more? For example, better placement on the serve with more heat too. Not so obvious in the videos is your shotmaking at critical times in a point...passing shots, winners from the baseline in general, as well as how your handle things defensively and counter offensively too. How often do you inadvertantly hit short balls? If you can't hit most of your baseline shots deep into your opponent's court as well as hit critical shots a high percentage of the time at will, then perhaps your ground game still has room for improvement.

I think you'll agree that to make that ATP Top 500* ranking, you are going to need as many tennis skill in the book you can master to make it (*just toning down the ATP goals a bit for now!). A net game will take pressure off your baseline game while also enhancing your ability to win more points faster too. In fact, a very solid baseline game will make a net game even more effective. In the end, you'll end up with an "all court" game. How's your approach shots?

Do you have a good support base of friends and family to help you with your pursuits? Have you found the right kind of coach that will help you make the needed improvements to your game (not to your strokes)? You secured a sponsor(s) or are you independently wealthy!? :D

knasty131
05-09-2007, 10:47 PM
Tony, I have to say I feel sorry for you about all this negative criticism. I played #7 this year for a D1 school and got to see all sorts of players. I think its funny that people judge you so harshly for your strokes. I don't think people realize how many other factors make up a good tennis player. Have you ever seen Daniel Omana from UT-Arlington play? When I saw him and saw him warming up against our #2 player I thought he was joking. It was very ugly and he did not generate hardly any power. Needless to say, he beat our #2 in three sets. He had a wonderful court sense and knew how to play the game. His strokes were far worse than yours(which are not even bad). I would just like everyone to realize that results speak for themselves. I'm sure if you were ranked in the top 50 that you are a very good player, despite what anyone on here might say. I played a top 50 D2 player in my first ever college match last fall. I pretty much got worked.....1,0. Now I was extremely nervous being a freshman at my first tournament and on a normal day it would have been closer(probably 3,4) but he was still clearly better. I wish you the best of luck in your tennis career!

HAHA!!! I've practiced with and played against Daniel Omana. He can be very deceiving....he can hit big and also grind out points, a contender to almost anyone out there...cept the pros maybe lol

Venetian
05-09-2007, 11:14 PM

Wow instead of hanging your head and walking away you come back with another dumb comment.

x Southpaw x
05-09-2007, 11:49 PM
Something about the videos... the quality of the rallies just look several notches below 5.5. Maybe it's your partner that's bad, but after watching many people hit, you just don't seem to have the fluidity that players who have played at high levels have. Like one of the guys above commented how amazed he was at how fast you take your racket back. That kinda reminds me of how recreational coaches would tell their students once they see the return, take the racket straight back and fast. High level players seldom do that, they seldom take their racket straight back and wait in that position for a bit every time. It kills momentum and looks so stiff and rookie-ish.

The other big thing I noticed is how you are standing right on the baseline and yet have so much time to prepare for every shot. Almost all of your partner's shot don't have great depth, are high bouncing and slow, while I can't see where your shots are landing.

Like this guy stands so much furthur from the baseline. I think this is more of the right distance if both players are hitting good quality shots.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDWm70SX450&NR=1
or even this guy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idgTniAGCoM&mode=related&search=

Like you said, your strength is probably your speed and a counterpunching game and maybe even your serves and height.

MTXR
05-10-2007, 06:29 AM
My old forehand you mean. It looks like you didnt watch the backhand;)

I did. Seems like you got a hitch on both wings.

TonLars
05-10-2007, 09:35 AM
Lots of people still posting about your strokes and recommending changes in that part of your game. if "it ain't broke, don't fix it". Plus, it's not strokes that need fixing. IMO, your game could use a very effective net game added to it if you are truly lacking one.

So, what's your gameplan for improving your tennis? Are you going to try to improving your existing method even more? For example, better placement on the serve with more heat too. Not so obvious in the videos is your shotmaking at critical times in a point...passing shots, winners from the baseline in general, as well as how your handle things defensively and counter offensively too.
I think you'll agree that to make that ATP Top 500* ranking, you are going to need as many tennis skill in the book you can master to make it (*just toning down the ATP goals a bit for now!). A net game will take pressure off your baseline game while also enhancing your ability to win more points faster too. In fact, a very solid baseline game will make a net game even more effective. In the end, you'll end up with an "all court" game. How's your approach shots?
Do you have a good support base of friends and family to help you with your pursuits? Have you found the right kind of coach that will help you make the needed improvements to your game (not to your strokes)? You secured a sponsor(s) or are you independently wealthy!? :D
I agree, and also agree the net game should be something I think more about. As Ive said before, while there are definitely some things I could do to improve power using more of my body, my strokes are technically sound now, as my forehand is at the same level as my backhand. Baseline is simply what I do well, I dont want to sound arrogant but thats my game. Many good players and coaches tell my dad or I and realize I have the athletic ability and got the strokes to hit with anyone, but there is plenty holding me back unfortunately. This video is just a drill of consistency, so of course it doesnt show much as you and other people have mentioned, but it should show that the strokes are solid. So really to improve to answer your question, mainly what I said in an earlier post. I honestly could improve alot because my serve is lacking alot and my net game is only average to finish points on the offensive. And although my strokes are fairly solid, I need to still work on getting better at playing aggressively, and that aspect has improved alot since two years ago when this was filmed. So youre right, I definitely need to develop those things you are talking about more, even approach shots as im more comfortable banging at the baseline rather than coming in. I dont have a coach unfortunately and really have never been coached beyond when I first started playing:-( so its all about hard work and experience for me. Fortunately though I have the means where if Im doing well in the Futures this summer, my family could afford to let me get to more tournaments to keep going and see how I do. A sponsor would be nice though as I know of plenty of people that have that help, but I am not sure of how to go about it myself. I am not anticipating much because its late in the game for me, but I am going to see how it goes. To me, going beyond Futures would be really surprising. Right now my goal is to qualify for a main draw.

Something about the videos... the quality of the rallies just look several notches below 5.5. Maybe it's your partner that's bad, but after watching many people hit, you just don't seem to have the fluidity that players who have played at high levels have. Like one of the guys above commented how amazed he was at how fast you take your racket back. That kinda reminds me of how recreational coaches would tell their students once they see the return, take the racket straight back and fast. High level players seldom do that, they seldom take their racket straight back and wait in that position for a bit every time. It kills momentum and looks so stiff and rookie-ish.
The other big thing I noticed is how you are standing right on the baseline and yet have so much time to prepare for every shot. Almost all of your partner's shot don't have great depth, are high bouncing and slow, while I can't see where your shots are landing.
Like you said, your strength is probably your speed and a counterpunching
Its not really a rally and definitely not a point, because the other guy is just hitting me free and slow balls as you noticed. We were being taped, taking turns, to analyze our shots and so I guess the other person not being filmed was just going to hit them "nicely" without any pressure so the filmer could do so efficiently. When it was the other guys turn, I too was hitting him easy balls as well. In a rally things would definitely be sped up. Hope that clarifies things for you.
But I still am confused because for the most part, especially backhand, I myself was ripping the ball, trust me. They were deep, cross court, and I only missed a couple balls total in all 4 video segments. Also, I must tell you the early take-back is very important. Any good or pro player does that as well. My stroke is just a straight back style instead of a loop, which really doesnt matter. The players with a loop come to the same position that I am in before hitting the shot. Again as I said before, fortunately that is ingrained in me because I was taught good form on the backhand right from when I began tennis, and that is why my backhand doesnt have anything wrong with it. However, I acknowledge my coaches and posters on here who state I could be using more legs and rotation for power, and I will think about that. I only wish I had the same instruction for all the other parts of my game though, which I have developed myself through watching, learning, trial and error over the years.

I did. Seems like you got a hitch on both wings.
Tell me exactly what the hitch is on the backhand. Forehand I understand and I dont have that anymore. But the backhand, I really can do anything I want with it so if I have a hitch then so be it because it matters not.

couch
05-10-2007, 11:01 AM
Hey Tony. You're are a brave sole posting your 5.5 strokes on the TW Message Boards. You have a lot of people on here who don't have a clue as to what they are talking about when it comes to tennis.

You're definitely a 5.5 if not higher just based on your record in college alone. I mean come on, you were 48-3 at #1 Singles so you must be doing something right. LOL

As far as I'm concerned your strokes look great. Sounds like you've made some adjustments to your forehand since the first video was made and I'm sure it's up to par with your backhand now. I would say the two main things at high-level tennis is having a weapon and consistency. You, without a doubt, have the consistency. What a lot of these posters don't understand is that you are drilling so your strokes are going to be a little less fluid because you're hitting crosscourt on everyball even though it might not be the right shot based on the ball you're receiving. I'm sure your strokes look a lot more fluid in a real match situation.

And it's also hard for 3.5/4.0 and even some 4.5 players to accurately judge high-level players and their strokes. Even I have a hard time sometimes and I'm a 5.0. So again, as I'm sure you know, you have to take some of these posts with a grain of salt.

All I have to say is good luck in your tourneys or whatever you decide to do with your tennis.

Harry
05-10-2007, 11:37 AM
When I first saw your post I assumed you saw a ball I may have hit late off of a hard hit shot, or a mishit or something. But what I see you mean now is that I let it drop a little more than usual, rather than as you said take it at its highest point. This was just a shorter and slower moving ball and I hit it at a lower point than most of the other shots, which wasnt a problem since I just hit that particular one with a bit more spin to clear the net and such. But youre definitely right, Ideally you do not want to let the ball drop, especially on shorter balls, and instead anticipate these and move up quickly. Getting up to the ball and taking it higher rather than lazily getting to hit and taking it lower makes the difference between being able to hit an offensive or defensive shot in that situation. Hope that answered or helped you

thanks, tony. I appreciate it. I just need to improve my footwork so that I can get to the ball before it gets to its highest point.

BounceHitBounceHit
05-19-2007, 04:31 PM
Hey Tony. You're are a brave sole posting your 5.5 strokes on the TW Message Boards. You have a lot of people on here who don't have a clue as to what they are talking about when it comes to tennis.

You're definitely a 5.5 if not higher just based on your record in college alone. I mean come on, you were 48-3 at #1 Singles so you must be doing something right. LOL

As far as I'm concerned your strokes look great. Sounds like you've made some adjustments to your forehand since the first video was made and I'm sure it's up to par with your backhand now. I would say the two main things at high-level tennis is having a weapon and consistency. You, without a doubt, have the consistency. What a lot of these posters don't understand is that you are drilling so your strokes are going to be a little less fluid because you're hitting crosscourt on everyball even though it might not be the right shot based on the ball you're receiving. I'm sure your strokes look a lot more fluid in a real match situation.

And it's also hard for 3.5/4.0 and even some 4.5 players to accurately judge high-level players and their strokes. Even I have a hard time sometimes and I'm a 5.0. So again, as I'm sure you know, you have to take some of these posts with a grain of salt.

All I have to say is good luck in your tourneys or whatever you decide to do with your tennis.

Well said, Couch.

Your strokes are FINE. For Heaven's Sake don't let these guys get you thinking about stroke mechanics, especially since I doubt there's one amongst them who could win a game from you. ;)

Your goals now are more about training to withstand the grind of the Tour. You need to be ultra-fit physically and mentally strong, especially because the travel and all that comes with it can be very stressful.

I wish you the best.

CC

chrisdaniel
05-21-2007, 12:34 AM
great stuff man. great tennis

iamke55
05-21-2007, 08:13 PM
I don't think this is the place to post videos of yourself if you want good comments. On this board you pretty much have to have Federer-like strokes to be considered anything above a 4.5, and even if they are almost as effective as his shots, they still have to also look fluid and pretty to go above 5.5. For example, by the standards here, Andy Roddick has maybe a 6.5 serve(muscle the ball and lacking placement and easy to read), a 6.0 forehand(not fluid motion and way too big of a backswing), a 4.5 backhand(jerky motion and ugly and -1 for hitting it with 2 hands), 4.5 volleys(not natural looking), 2.5 court strategy(get his serve back in and you've basically won the point), and many people here and the entire top 100 can beat him except he always gets easy draws and only wins because he relies on his easily readable, 6.5 serve. To give you an idea of comparison, Richard Gasquet by these criteria has a 7.0 for every shot, and is actually a more talented and far more skilled player, despite win-loss record and ranking differences.

kevhen
06-13-2007, 02:41 PM
Having seen Tony Larson play in person, I would say he is a very high 5.0 due to his footspeed, consistency, depth, and placement. He does have an official 5.0 USTA rating. He hits topspin on both sides and plays a steady baseliner style hitting mostly crosscourt with some pace and decent spin. Has a slightly better and bigger forehand that he can hit winners with. Can slice when in trouble to stay in the points and can finish at net with angles if you try to dropshot him as he uses his speed to get there early. His serve has depth and kick and consistency, around 100mph, not a strength but not a weakness. His volley is ok but not his strength either. He is not a big guy so he relies on his speed to stay in points and frustrate opponents. He beats most all 5.0s he plays but does lose to most 5.5s (good D1 players) if you check his record from the last few years and also from the 2 matches that I watched of him this past weekend in Waterloo where he cashed in to the semis for $150 in prize money.

Good kid who plays with intensity throughout the entire match which frustrates many bigger harder hitting opponents. I have a big serve but I have a feeling he would beat me like 6-1, 6-0. I would need to attack every chance and try to keep the points short if possible. He would get used to my serve and my slice approaches and then I would be in big trouble but then I am just 4.0/4.5.

Tony's 2007 results
http://tennislink.usta.com/leagues/reports/SearchReports/rptIndividualRecord.asp?MemberID=DB003343A8E0F4248 5941B2A59780FAE1C0D&CYear=2007

Kevin's 2007 results
http://tennislink.usta.com/leagues/reports/TennisLinkReports.asp?Level=I&MemberID=DB0039BDE7D03536B584FB2A09783F7E1C&CYear=2007

My only suggestions for Tony would be to develop a slice serve to go with his kick serve and also maybe drop the racquet head lower on the backhand side with a more fluid motion takeback, but he is almost 2 levels higher in skill than me, so he doesn't need my advice. He plays the game very well and usually hits the right shots at the right time. Occasionally he goes for too much with the forehand or doesn't lift the backhand up enough to clear the net but those are rare occurences. Fun to watch him rally all day.

He has a cool, sweet girlfriend and his dad can hit a rather steady ball. Best of luck to Tony in all future matches.

aliengrowing
06-13-2007, 03:32 PM
Very nice man, thanks for posting these high level vids. They give me a lot more confidence in myself. It shows you dont have to conform to one style of play after some rating.

AngeloDS
06-13-2007, 03:54 PM
Nice footwork, terrible looking strokes but effective =p. Lol, but good stuff. For me, personally I feel your early take back really inhibits your ability to "sync" your stroke with your body and produce a much more powerful shot with much more spin. However, that is my opinion =p.

bad_call
06-13-2007, 03:56 PM
Tony - nice strokes man. it's hard to see how a player does in matches when only watching practice but i think you should hold your own. btw - how is your serve and return? good luck.

DavaiMarat
06-13-2007, 09:39 PM

Some good stuff but the only thing I could suggest is the backhand could use a little more fluidity. Like your forehand, you shouldn't begin the swing until the ball is almost bouncing, you should try to emulate this on your backhand. Not saying your backhand is mechanically bad it's just in terms of timing and power you probably wouldn't need to bludgeon the ball like you do.

Take the racquet back higher, let gravity drop the racquet head down and bring it up in a C loop. More power, less effort, more spin = more control.

Keep up the good work. I'm a 5.0-5.5 myself. Except I'm not as quick as you anymore, getting old and sticking to developing youngsters like yourself.

Cheers,

Mike

krz
06-13-2007, 10:43 PM
do you always take your racket back that early on the backhand? or is it just because you have time to set up? I would imagine it would hinder your movement a little if you brought your racket back that early all the time.

I don't doubt you're rating though specially with a 48-3 record.

princess bossass
06-13-2007, 11:07 PM
Wow, I wish my racquet made that sound every single time *I* hit the ball :D

No comments (I'm in no position to offer "feedback" or whatnot), but a couple questions:

I didn't have time to read the whole thread, but I agree with the person who said your early preparation on the backhand reminded them of Venus Williams. Also, she, like you, doesn't prepare nearly as early on her forehand. For her her forehand is the less reliable stroke, but from the vid your forehand seemed solid as hell, though maybe (?) not as penetrating as your backhand. Is there a specific reason you prepare earlier on your backhand than your forehand? Is it conscious, or unconscious? Which is your preferred stroke?

Nick b
06-14-2007, 01:26 AM
dude ur shots are so ugly and crude u might hit the ball in but u play like my gran.

Duzza
06-14-2007, 01:29 AM
dude ur shots are so ugly and crude u might hit the ball in but u play like my gran.

And could probably beat you 0 and 0.

J011yroger
06-14-2007, 04:07 AM

What were you hoping to achieve by posting this? Because if loosing the respect of most every high level player on here who knows how good Tony is was your goal, then you have done it.

J

goober
06-14-2007, 05:54 AM
What were you hoping to achieve by posting this? Because if loosing the respect of most every high level player on here who knows how good Tony is was your goal, then you have done it.

J

He's hoping if he keeps posting thread like the one he posted the mods will finally give in to his request to change his User name from Nick b to Nick Moron. :p

Andres
06-14-2007, 06:02 AM
And could probably beat you 0 and 0.
Winning 3 points each set.

Urza187
06-14-2007, 06:09 AM
I think you meant 3 points total

Andres
06-14-2007, 06:26 AM
I think you meant 3 points total
Naaah, I'm being nice here. 48 pts to 6 sounds good to me. We shouldn't crush his self esteem that much :)

FiveO
06-14-2007, 07:19 AM
Well said, Couch.

Your strokes are FINE. For Heaven's Sake don't let these guys get you thinking about stroke mechanics, especially since I doubt there's one amongst them who could win a game from you. ;)

Your goals now are more about training to withstand the grind of the Tour. You need to be ultra-fit physically and mentally strong, especially because the travel and all that comes with it can be very stressful.

I wish you the best.

CC

Yeah, I don't think TonLars is at all concerned with the critiques offered by those w/o the foundation or experience to make them. In fact I think the OP is both having a little laugh to himself at their expense and showing class by not saying more directly what he feels about those comments. Like another poster alluded to you have to get pretty good at this game before you have an inkling just how limited you are.

His results more than the clips speak volumes and the clips show enough. He knows better than most here that the next level will expose any relative weaknesses which may be in his game and that they will need to be improved or they will be exposed at the next level or the level above that.

Those "critics" should learn from both the OP's clips if for no other reason than the footwork he demonstrates, but moreso for his honest, objective self-evaluation and acknowledgement that even at his level he is striving to address minor weak points which he knows could be exposed at the next levels.

Thanks for posting TonLars, it's a shame that some of the "critics" aren't taking more from this thread.

I wish TonLars continued improvement and success. He, better than almost anyone else here, knows what it will take those next steps and is obviously committed to it.

Ultra2HolyGrail
06-14-2007, 11:09 AM

Thats one thing that sucks about tennis at these levels. Little money to be made. Most will play just for rank and flat out enjoyment of competing. It would be sweet to have prize money at all ntrp and open levels. Although the sandbagging players would come out of nowhere.

GRANITECHIEF
06-14-2007, 11:18 AM
Many of the Open tourneys do have prize moneys and the sandbaggers do comeout to attempt to bag it. If i was one, i would too.

Fatmike
06-14-2007, 11:21 AM

ahhhhh... jealous people... I'd like you to beat that little crap

Nice hits Tony....

Ultra2HolyGrail
06-14-2007, 11:26 AM
Many of the Open tourneys do have prize moneys and the sandbaggers do comeout to attempt to bag it. If i was one, i would too.

Lol yea. But many open tourneys dont have prize money. No ntrp do as far as i'm aware.

kevhen
06-14-2007, 12:27 PM
Tony took home $150 in last weekend's open tourney. Almost covered his costs to drive the 5 hours down.

MTXR
06-14-2007, 01:41 PM
How come he doesn't post updated video?

blubber
06-14-2007, 01:48 PM
I wonder if Tony has ever played much on clay. It looks like he'd be an even better player on clay courts than he is on hard courts.

kevhen
06-14-2007, 02:11 PM
Yes, I would agree that Tony would be perfect for clay. Very consistent game and great speed to run balls down. Not many clay courts in the mid-west though! I would think he woud be 5.5 on clay as his ground game is that consistent.

volleyandfun
06-14-2007, 02:14 PM
If you are 5.5 (on these videos I assume), how would you assess your progress from being 5.0, say your skills are so much better, or your consistency is, or your movement , in other words what did most contribute to that 0.5 step up?

todd03blown
06-14-2007, 02:29 PM
I will watch these tonight as youtube is blocked in the office...

skraggle
06-14-2007, 03:02 PM
Thanks for sharing your videos and it's good to see that you ignore the trolls posting stupid comments. Until they post videos of their supposedly better strokes, we'll all ignore them, too.

Anton
06-14-2007, 04:40 PM
Thanks for sharing your videos and it's good to see that you ignore the trolls posting stupid comments. Until they post videos of their supposedly better strokes, we'll all ignore them, too.

Absolutely! his technique is beyond reproach and anyone that disagrees is just a troll.

J011yroger
06-14-2007, 04:42 PM

Yup yup, although it is technically impossible to sandbag in open, we know what you mean.

J

Anton
06-14-2007, 07:20 PM

Wow, these are exactly the strokes I'm working towards.

Hardserve
06-15-2007, 06:02 AM
But His technique dosen't look modern.

Duzza
06-15-2007, 07:20 AM
Wow, these are exactly the strokes I'm working towards.

He's on the Futures/Challengers circuit just so you know :)

Anton
06-15-2007, 07:49 AM
But His technique dosen't look modern.

My strokes look a lot like this guy's with maybe a little more topspin on forehand, but his balance, the way he rotates his body and the way he always has his knees bent and remains in complete balance after taking even a hard shot is what I'm working on.

TonLars
06-15-2007, 06:40 PM
Been awhile since I visited this thread. Again, thanks to everyone for their comments, it has been interesting to read everything on here. Although I realize my game in these videos from a couple years ago and even now definitely has things to work on, I appreciate the compliments and critiques.

I thought I would comment on what Kevhen said a while ago. First it was very good to meet him, he is a nice guy and fun to talk with. I think it is cool how you can actually make a friend and stuff through the net in this day and age! Thanks again for coming to watch and support Kev. In regards to his assessment from watching me I have to agree with almost everything he has said from his observations, theyre pretty accurate- he has a good coaching eye. The NTRP thing again of a player is obviously something lots of people will think differently of, but I actually had to appeal my initial 5.5 rating to come down to 5.0 league because I enjoy getting good extra practice matches in and its competitive with other good current and former college players most of the time (there is no 5.5 league). I still say im 5.5 as I have beaten some ranked Division 1 players, but either way rankings and whatnot once youre at 5.0 or above are really what matters, and rating is kind of pointless. Also Kevin I have to say I have definitely been in a slump and not playing well lately and so I was not pleased with the way im hitting the ball or my results at Waterloo or the other tournament I played this summer. So its been slow so far but Im starting to pick it up now and hopefully I will have some good results for the bulk of this summer.

astra
06-16-2007, 12:16 AM
Tony, your topspin strokes look simple and efficient, I like it.
Somehow I have a feeling that your slice backhand is hit a little late. I prefer a contact point more in front of the body.

topspin_17
06-16-2007, 06:38 AM
i like, i like! (those classic strokes of yours)

35ft6
06-16-2007, 03:08 PM
Having seen Tony Larson play in person, I would say he is a very high 5.0 due to his footspeed, consistency, depth, and placement. Based off his college record alone, and assuming he's gotten better since then, maybe even weak 6.0.

TonLars
06-16-2007, 08:13 PM
If you are 5.5 (on these videos I assume), how would you assess your progress from being 5.0, say your skills are so much better, or your consistency is, or your movement , in other words what did most contribute to that 0.5 step up?

Again, on these videos from a few yrs ago I would say I was a 5.0. Now, 5.5. Its hard to put something on it exactly, my forehand is quite a bit better, and my serves and volleys are a little better. But definitely the main thing toward improvement is experience. Playing lots of matches and against good players, one gets better at playing matches. So not necessarily skills. Ive gotten better at playing, strategizing, being smarter, mentally tougher, and beliving I could beat those better players I once lost to. Hope that helps, good luck

dima
06-16-2007, 09:38 PM
Not bad, not bad at all my friend. Now we need to see serve videos!

Tennis_Monk
06-16-2007, 10:10 PM

Like this guy stands so much furthur from the baseline. I think this is more of the right distance if both players are hitting good quality shots.
or even this guy

Like you said, your strength is probably your speed and a counterpunching game and maybe even your serves and height.

I am not sure who that guy is...Vow what consistency and power. If that is what these guys hit what would Roger and Nadal hit like.

goober
06-16-2007, 10:35 PM
I am not sure who that guy is...Vow what consistency and power. If that is what these guys hit what would Roger and Nadal hit like.

I pretty sure that the first video is from a practice session at a challenger event in Texas so that guy would be a 7.0

The second video is the same guy who hit the between legs shot in that other thread isn't it? I doubt he is a pro but pretty high level.

zapvor
06-16-2007, 10:51 PM
or even this guy

is that at the center???

arnz
06-17-2007, 08:11 AM

or even this guy

This is what I noticed too when I was watching the video. With no disrespect to Tonlars, who is a much better player than I am, but you did post to get some comments, no?

I noticed that the other vids posted in the quote above, the guys seem to move smoother, they split step and bounce around, but before they even hit the ball their base seems very much set up already. Also like has been said, they stand beyond the baseline, not inside it...the quality and depth of shots they receive seem to demand it.

Something about your movement seem jerky to me, maybe because you seem to always be in a crouched position, where as the other vids above the players straighten up and only bend their knees as they are hitting the ball. It just makes it look like you are rushed to make the shot, whereas I am used to accomplished players like yourself glide and hit with effortlessness.

Anyway, I am not a believer in rating somebody based on a vid, some people look good hitting in practice and dont have the results to show for it like you do. Just putting my 10 cents worth (if it's even worth that much :) )

TonLars
06-17-2007, 08:40 AM
This is what I noticed too when I was watching the video. With no disrespect to Tonlars, who is a much better player than I am, but you did post to get some comments, no?

I noticed that the other vids posted in the quote above, the guys seem to move smoother, they split step and bounce around, but before they even hit the ball their base seems very much set up already. Also like has been said, they stand beyond the baseline, not inside it...the quality and depth of shots they receive seem to demand it.

Something about your movement seem jerky to me, maybe because you seem to always be in a crouched position, where as the other vids above the players straighten up and only bend their knees as they are hitting the ball. It just makes it look like you are rushed to make the shot, whereas I am used to accomplished players like yourself glide and hit with effortlessness.

Anyway, I am not a believer in rating somebody based on a vid, some people look good hitting in practice and dont have the results to show for it like you do. Just putting my 10 cents worth (if it's even worth that much :) )

I replied to those comments a long time ago if you want to look back aways, but the thing about this video is we are hitting controlled shots, cross court to each other and not hitting full out. Secondly as Ive said many times, in this video I have agreed that I was a 5.0 at that time about 3 years ago, and both of us played a style of simply getting alot of balls back into play. Now, I have the same consistency style but I also am hitting much more "quality" shots and have good placement so I tend to run people around alot. Otherwise also I will kindly disagree with those who do not like the early takeback on the backhand and advise you that the early takeback is an important part in my backhand and am always prepared and ready to hit the shot even if it is coming very hard and deep. Movement wise I dont know how it looks or if I was doing something different with that back then too, but I cover the court faster than nearly anyone I play and that is one of my main strengths. And definitely, the guy youre watching in that first video is a good Challenger level player and his shots are tough. Im not in the 6-6.5 caliber, im 5.5. There really are no ratings anyways after the 5.0 level, but alot of people here seem to really be into the rating system for some reason lol.

x Southpaw x
06-17-2007, 10:11 AM
is that at the center???

nah not our center, probably some other tennis center. but our center's salifu, kwon, the tall white guy and the 2 under-16 junior doubles champs are above the level of the first guy. the second guy I'm guessing to be some college kid.

a few of the guys here are so full of . I try to find some video just to explain what I'm talking about and some has to just randomly label the youtube guy a 7.0 and on what challenger . Both you and I know how good a 7.0 is especially since you were a volunteer at legg mason. it I've given up with these .

and zap, you know what I'm talking about, about standing way behind the baseline. I myself almost always hog the baseline just because hitting on the rise is chicken feed, but once I face quality shot producing players like sharzip even I have to move back. And once way behind the baseline, I cannot afford to be lazy and have to really use my full body and energy just to produce shots that, from far, seem to travel at the same pace as when I'm lazily hogging the baseline. All the time we see Orban and the guys take on good schools like Duke, both sides are way way behind the baseline and pounding balls at that pace, accuracy and precision. I get scared when I see fink finish one of his long rallies and come to the bench by me to regain his composure. And these guys are only about 5.5, well orban might be 6. But really no one bothers asking or giving them a rating.

About the OP, Tony you already have your creditials about being top 50 d2 college and so on, so there you've proved to yourself you're that good. People like me and whoever who suspect otherwise, according to some , are just "trolling". Kevhen, who seems like he's been around the forum and around the tennis world for a long long time, says you're a high 5.0. I personally would take his word for it, but if you think he's a troll too and you were playing badly and you're really a 5.5.... whatever man, 5.5 or weak 6.0 you are.

TonLars
06-17-2007, 10:25 AM
About the OP, Tony you already have your creditials about being top 50 d2 college and so on, so there you've proved to yourself you're that good. People like me and whoever who suspect otherwise, according to some , are just "trolling". Kevhen, who seems like he's been around the forum and around the tennis world for a long long time, says you're a high 5.0. I personally would take his word for it, but if you think he's a troll too and you were playing badly and you're really a 5.5.... whatever man, 5.5 or weak 6.0 you are.

The records do speak for themselves for any player. And the video you see of me is 3 yrs old, and Ive already said I am alot better now than that. The fact is, Kevin only saw me play 1 and half matches and I wasnt playing well, so do you think it would be an accurate assessment? Ive beaten a top 35 Division 1 player so should I rate myself 5.0??

J011yroger
06-17-2007, 10:28 AM
a few of the guys here are so full of . I try to find some video just to explain what I'm talking about and some has to just randomly label the youtube guy a 7.0 and on what challenger . Both you and I know how good a 7.0 is especially since you were a volunteer at legg mason. it I've given up with these .

The guy in the first video is Michael Ryderstedt who at his highest in 2005 was 130 in the world. Just figured I would throw that out there.

J

dunno
06-17-2007, 10:37 AM
Haha, nice one ^^. :D

I really don't like ntrp ratings and would rather just look at the records.

armand
06-17-2007, 11:10 AM
Geez people are ********. Looks mean nothing. If you were to look at Nadal and Federer, you'd think that Federer would bagel him every time.

goober
06-17-2007, 01:16 PM
[

Uh what are you calling me full of again?

Why does x Southpaw x keep saying he knows what every level is suppose to look like as if he some kind of tennis authority? First he states the video of the 3.5 and 4.0s is a fraud and "it is just youtube." Maverick comes on and says he posted and recorded them himself during a USTA match.

Then he has to balls to say oh that guy is not a 7.0 because he knows what a 7.0 looks like, but the rest of us are idiots

Here you go genius. This a website for the videos taken at AT&T challenger of Dallas.

http://braingame.dartfishnet.com/video.cfm?gpt=3&g=398

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and watch Michael Ryderstedt's practice videos. Notice something- It is the same guy practicing at that event and youtube was taken from it.

Boy Southpaw, you are losing credibility fast. You and whoever keep volunteering at legg Mason because that will make you a tennis expert because none of us have watched pro matches or pros play in person before.

J011yroger
06-17-2007, 01:32 PM
^^^ you mean southpaw is loosing cred fast right? Cuz you quoted me being correct.

J

mucat
06-17-2007, 01:40 PM
I think sometimes it is deceptive to judge a player by how "fluidity" their strokes or how good their strokes look. I always look at how hard is their swing and then how good is their footwork. A hard swing everytime is very difficult to do unless you are very high level. As for footwork, sometimes you can't tell if the players are just fooling around. But in this case, I am still amazed by how early TonLars was ready for the next shot.

goober
06-17-2007, 01:47 PM
^^^ you mean southpaw is loosing cred fast right? Cuz you quoted me being correct.

J

err right :D

fixed

zapvor
06-17-2007, 06:46 PM
nah not our center, probably some other tennis center. but our center's salifu, kwon, the tall white guy and the 2 under-16 junior doubles champs are above the level of the first guy. the second guy I'm guessing to be some college kid.

and zap, you know what I'm talking about, about standing way behind the baseline. I myself almost always hog the baseline just because hitting on the rise is chicken feed, but once I face quality shot producing players like sharzip even I have to move back. And once way behind the baseline, I cannot afford to be lazy and have to really use my full body and energy just to produce shots that, from far, seem to travel at the same pace as when I'm lazily hogging the baseline. All the time we see Orban and the guys take on good schools like Duke, both sides are way way behind the baseline and pounding balls at that pace, accuracy and precision. I get scared when I see fink finish one of his long rallies and come to the bench by me to regain his composure. And these guys are only about 5.5, well orban might be 6. But really no one bothers asking or giving them a rating.

yea i know a lot about standing behind the baseline. haha. fink is ridiculous. his rallies are forever. i love it. i wish i saw the spring matches this year. yea tony posted his video way way back, and he definitely is good. despite it being a rally practice, you can tell the quality of the ball. very different from the usta youtubes that were put up. i think the issue is people dont play the same in matches as in practice. in rallies people hit so well, etc but in matches everyone plays so tight under the pressure and tend to push. the guy in the youtube is 4.0 apparently, and i am sure if he posted just a rally video it would look much more different. besides as others pointed out the rating is based on results, so it doesnt make you better really just how well you played against that guy in that match. but in any case i would love to see Tony post an updated video. it's always fun watching such good rallies

zapvor
06-17-2007, 06:48 PM
[

Uh what are you calling me full of again?

Why does x Southpaw x keep saying he knows what every level is suppose to look like as if he some kind of tennis authority? First he states the video of the 3.5 and 4.0s is a fraud and "it is just youtube." Maverick comes on and says he posted and recorded them himself during a USTA match.

Then he has to balls to say oh that guy is not a 7.0 because he knows what a 7.0 looks like, but the rest of us are idiots

Here you go genius. This a website for the videos taken at AT&T challenger of Dallas.

http://braingame.dartfishnet.com/video.cfm?gpt=3&g=398

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and watch Michael Ryderstedt's practice videos. Notice something- It is the same guy practicing at that event and youtube was taken from it.

Boy Southpaw, you are losing credibility fast. You and whoever keep volunteering at legg Mason because that will make you a tennis expert because none of us have watched pro matches or pros play in person before.

looks like someone else is getting to him,hehe.

kevhen
06-18-2007, 08:41 AM
Tony's groundstrokes and speed are definitely 5.5+. He really frustrated the big hitting D1 guys with his speed and consistency on both sides.

Here's how I would break down his overall game:
Footspeed-footwork 6.0 (gets to everything)
Forehand- high 5.5 (very consistent and well placed, can hit winners but sometimes hits long when going for too much)
backhand- weak 5.5 (occasionally dumps into net but overall very consistent)
serve - strong 5.0 (can hit hard down the T with some kick, no DFs)
volley - 5.0 (doesn't come to net much but can finish. Missed one or two just wide by inches)
intensity 6.0. He fights for every point playing against bigger and stronger guys. He works out an insane amount to stay in great shape. His drive to win keeps him in many matches. He has spent a week at the Bollieteri Academy.

I do admit that I only saw him play 3 sets and was spending most of that time talking to his dad and girlfriend. Tony wins all his 5.0 matches so he would be 5.5 based just on that. His strokes looked better in person than in the video. Hopefully Tony can post some more videos of all parts of his game even some in match conditions. I forget to bring my camera with video to his match.

TonLars
06-18-2007, 09:35 AM
Tony's groundstrokes and speed are definitely 5.5+. He really frustrated the big hitting D1 guys with his speed and consistency on both sides.

Here's how I would break down his overall game:
Footspeed-footwork 6.0 (gets to everything)
Forehand- high 5.5 (very consistent and well placed, can hit winners but sometimes hits long when going for too much)
backhand- weak 5.5 (occasionally dumps into net but overall very consistent)
serve - strong 5.0 (can hit hard down the T with some kick, no DFs)
volley - 5.0 (doesn't come to net much but can finish. Missed one or two just wide by inches)
intensity 6.0. He fights for every point playing against bigger and stronger guys. He works out an insane amount to stay in great shape. His drive to win keeps him in many matches. He has spent a week at the Bollieteri Academy.

I do admit that I only saw him play 3 sets and was spending most of that time talking to his dad and girlfriend. Tony wins all his 5.0 matches so he would be 5.5 based just on that. His strokes looked better in person than in the video. Hopefully Tony can post some more videos of all parts of his game even some in match conditions. I forget to bring my camera with video to his match.

Thanks again for coming Kev. Id say thats a very accurate assesment of my game, even the little detailed things you wrote I agree with. Hopefully I can keep improving. If I somehow get a chance or figure out a way I will post recent video of playing. Maybe I can come down to Iowa next year and see you again, good luck to you with everything!

kevhen
06-18-2007, 11:58 AM
Yeah it doesn't take me very long to scout opponents, just a few games. Court strategy is what I excel at even though my strokes aren't that great.

I would not want to play Tony as he doesn't have many weaknesses. His net game is a little bit weaker so you could lure him to net with dropshots but he would get there early and finish with angles. You don't want to rally all day with him as he will outlast you. You can go for big shots but he will still get them back. I would probably hit low approach shots and then try to finish with a crosscourt volley if he doesn't lob or pass me. I would also go big with my serve and mix up the spins to keep him off-balance but I am sure he would adjust pretty quickly to everything I would throw at him.

Maybe I can scout your opponents for you next year in Waterloo if I just play doubles again. Later, good luck with any summer tournies in MN.

adlis
06-22-2007, 06:54 PM
What i do not understand is why the poster is asking advise on TW for? The majority of people on here are disgruntled teenagers and wannabe pros who watch to much anime.

Spend MORE time time on the courts because 10 minutes practicing on court is worth 2 hours roaming TW listening to 3.5 hackers talking drivel.

TonLars
06-22-2007, 09:18 PM
What i do not understand is why the poster is asking advise on TW for? The majority of people on here are disgruntled teenagers and wannabe pros who watch to much anime.

Spend MORE time time on the courts because 10 minutes practicing on court is worth 2 hours roaming TW listening to 3.5 hackers talking drivel.

Yes youre right. I only practice one day of the year (my birthday) and I hit some serves for 5 minutes, and then I also drop feed balls and hit about 10 of them over the net. Takes about 10 minutes total on court practice time for the year. After that I just sit in bed and eat cake while watching TV. I play some tournaments and somehow manage to win some matches. Do you think it would help if I practice more than once a year?? Thanks for the help

J011yroger
06-24-2007, 05:07 PM
Yes youre right. I only practice one day of the year (my birthday) and I hit some serves for 5 minutes, and then I also drop feed balls and hit about 10 of them over the net. Takes about 10 minutes total on court practice time for the year. After that I just sit in bed and eat cake while watching TV. I play some tournaments and somehow manage to win some matches. Do you think it would help if I practice more than once a year?? Thanks for the help

Hey man, I know you aren't looking for critique, and don't take this the wrong way because I am just trying to help. But I would drink beer and eat ice cream, that way you don't get crumbs in your bed.

J

Luctator
06-25-2007, 01:55 PM
Some people on here still don't understand that tennis is more than an amazing forehand or equipment/racquets. It's mental skills, playing consistently, moving well.

Nice vids TonLars ;)

boobik2371
06-29-2007, 10:05 PM
Hey Tony question for you, I'm entering my senior year in high school and am in terested in playing in college. Have you any thoughts on schools to play at im no weak player, but im not up there with the likes of the top DI players. Any way to go about contacting colleges to play?

adlis
06-30-2007, 01:19 PM

Excuse me for being blunt but what is your attitude pal? I don't know if you have mental issues but that reply was uncalled for. I was only asking you why you are asking mostly 3.5-4.0 14 year olds how to play better tennis. You probably wont see roger Federer asking Robert Dee For tennis advice would you??

I think it is crazy that a player with your potential chooses to post childish argumentative comments on a public message board rather than trying to enter futures qualifiers?

J011yroger
06-30-2007, 01:42 PM
Excuse me for being blunt but what is your attitude pal? I don't know if you have mental issues but that reply was uncalled for. I was only asking you why you are asking mostly 3.5-4.0 14 year olds how to play better tennis. You probably wont see roger Federer asking Robert Dee For tennis advice would you??

I think it is crazy that a player with your potential chooses to post childish argumentative comments on a public message board rather than trying to enter futures qualifiers?

Because he is not looking for advice, you wrongly assumed that.

Look for any single post by Tony that asks anyone for advice, or asks any poster how to play better tennis.

He is just sharing his strokes so people can see how he plays.

I do the same thing.

People take it upon themselves to offer advice, tell you you suck or are awesome, tell you your strokes are ugly or pretty, tell you they are much better but they don't have a video camera, tell you your strokes are solid/have hitches, tell you you are doing great, tell you you will never get better unless you do X, wish you good luck, tell you to stop bragging.

J

JMS
06-30-2007, 03:49 PM
sorry a little off topic but Jo11yroger did you play college tennis, if you don't mind me asking? By the way great strokes Tony

J011yroger
06-30-2007, 04:03 PM
sorry a little off topic but Jo11yroger did you play college tennis, if you don't mind me asking? By the way great strokes Tony

No, I blew out my shoulder at 17, couldn't lift it above paralell to the ground for 6 years. At 23 realized that I had full range of motion, and bought some racquets. Spent a full year getting back something that resembled strokes, and this is my first year (2007) of open tournament play. I really need this full year of match play, so hopefully next year I can do some serious damage.

Don't wanna derail Tony's thread, but will gladly BS about anything ya want if we take it to my thread. http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=140404

J

FEDEX1
06-30-2007, 05:48 PM
^^^hod'd you get your strokes looking like that in like a year?
...sorry to go off topic

J011yroger
06-30-2007, 05:53 PM
^^^hod'd you get your strokes looking like that in like a year?
...sorry to go off topic

I busted my @$$, and playing from age 4-17 helped too so it wasn't like I was starting from 0, I already knew which end of the racquet to hold.

Please lets not take Tony's thread off topic, we can have this discussion in my thread.

J

35ft6
06-30-2007, 07:16 PM

I think it is crazy that a player with your potential chooses to post childish argumentative comments on a public message board rather than trying to enter futures qualifiers? Don't take yourself so seriously, dude.

TonLars
07-02-2007, 02:06 PM

J is right, thanks for helping with this. I just posted the stuff for the fun of it, and it is interesting to see what people have to say. Though you really cant tell from this little crosscourt drilling session from 3 yrs ago, I can groundstroke with anyone, other than obviously top ATP players. Your comment was both insulting to the people here, and to suggest Im not spending enough time on the court was funny because you must not have any idea how much time goes into the on and off-court training of tournament players.

BravoRed691
07-02-2007, 02:14 PM
I don't think TonLars has to defend himself here actually. Besides, like 35ft6 said, people should take things too seriously...esp on a messageboards. Sometimes a message, an attitude can be loss with using only written words. sometimes it seems like a lot of "fights" happen simply because of miscommunication (i.e humor is often loss when we don't hear the speaker say it...

BR

skraggle
07-02-2007, 02:36 PM
It's a classic case of a guy jealous of your talent level and trying to knock you down. Really kind of sad...

adlis
07-02-2007, 04:32 PM
It's a classic case of a guy jealous of your talent level and trying to knock you down. Really kind of sad...

it is a classic case of you writing pointless posts pal. How and why could i be jealous of a 5.5 player for? can you explain that please instead of kissing his backside?

I do not understand why the 5.5 dude has got a attitude for. If you start reacting to very minor criticisms by random people like myself you will have zero chance of going to the next level and having any success on the futures/challenger tour .

skraggle
07-02-2007, 04:46 PM
it is a classic case of you writing pointless posts pal. How and why could i be jealous of a 5.5 player for? can you explain that please instead of kissing his backside?

I do not understand why the 5.5 dude as a attitude for. If you start reacting to very minor criticisms by random people like myself you will have zero chance of going to the next level and having any success on the futures/challenger tour .

Whatever, troll. Back to your sad little life...