PDA

View Full Version : Clijsters Calls it Quits! NOW!

pound cat
05-06-2007, 03:41 AM
Eurosport May 6

Clijsters calls time

Clijsters in sad clay exitFormer world number one Kim Clijsters has retired with immediate effect.

The 23-year-old Belgian, who is marrying American basketball player Brian Lynch in July, told her website: "It has been more than great. The rackets will be hung up."

Clijsters, who had already pulled out of the French Open in May, had planned to play at Wimbledon.

But the 2005 US Open champion lost her opening match at this week's Warsaw Cup to Julia Vakulenko and that seems to have hastened her decision.

"After all my fantastic good-byes in Antwerp [where she lost in the final to Amelie Mauresmo], the fire had died out," Clijsters continued.

"Every hour has been dedicated to my body, the difficulty of getting out of bed in the morning and heating up the muscles for an hour, the preparation for the marriage to Brian which is taking up more of my time all of that made it very difficult to continue.

"I would easily have been able to continue for a few months and to take part in the four most lucrative tournaments [the three grand slams and the WTA Tour championships]. The money is certainly important but not the most important thing in my life. Health and my private life are more important."

tenniko
05-06-2007, 03:43 AM
she'll be missed

tintin
05-06-2007, 03:59 AM
have a good life Kim:)
be happy:D
we'll miss ya:-( :-(

HollerOne5
05-06-2007, 07:06 AM
Finally...hasn't everyone been waiting for her to just do it already rather than nag and complain the rest of the year.....

she should have quit 2 years ago or whenever she first announced she was gonna retire this year...what a joke

ufgatorkid
05-06-2007, 07:47 AM
About damn time.

tennissavy
05-06-2007, 09:07 AM
I wish that this year had been more of a final push rather than a reluctant half hearted effort but I understand injury issues very well. I will miss Kim Clijsters. I will always remember her as a nice girl and the most athletic tennis player I have ever seen. I hope she is going to be happy off the court and I think that she will be a good mother.

jmsx521
05-06-2007, 09:19 AM
Great player! Hers and Serena's arms... probably the strongest on the WTA!

PrinceO3TourOS
05-06-2007, 09:32 AM
Marriage is very bad for young and immature people :(
she'll waste her best days of tennis and her career for nothing :confused:
Game, Set and Match lost to Kim :lol:

CEvertFan
05-06-2007, 09:46 AM
She's had so many injuries, perhaps she is making the right decision to stop now before she gets a really bad injury. She will be missed.

psamp14
05-06-2007, 09:50 AM
its too bad she has to retire so young, or even planned on it...but i'm not surprised at the sudden retirement....especially after hearing news that she would play one full year of tennis (2007)..then like only the slams, then not playing some of the slams....whatever ;)

she had a good career, a very likeable person

jamumafa
05-06-2007, 09:50 AM
See ya later

ATXtennisaddict
05-06-2007, 09:56 AM
She'll be back like Hingis.

Heavy Metal Tennis Star
05-06-2007, 10:08 AM
thats great, no one will remember her anyways, lmao, its not like shes a sharapova hottie.

FedFan_2007
05-06-2007, 10:10 AM
Unless we know the extent of her injuries, how dare you judge. She's made millions and can retire comfortably. It's her life, after all.

johnkidd
05-06-2007, 10:18 AM
I think it's pretty classy on her part to retire now if she thinks she is physically and mentally not there. She could have easily played the required matches, gone through the motions and collected her prize money.

Viper
05-06-2007, 10:46 AM
Finally...hasn't everyone been waiting for her to just do it already rather than nag and complain the rest of the year.....

My thoughts exactly.

tennissavy
05-06-2007, 10:50 AM
She's had so many injuries, perhaps she is making the right decision to stop now before she gets a really bad injury. She will be missed.

It sounds like she will always have lingering injuries the rest of her life, like myself so I can't blame her one bit for retiring. IMO, she probably should have stopped right after winning her US Open. I am happy that she won that grand slam because she was really heading for the title of "best player to never win a grand slam".

tennisjunkiela
05-06-2007, 11:17 AM
thats great, no one will remember her anyways

i like clijsters - definitely a class act and a very nice girl!

but i have to agree with mary carillo's comments about her at this year's australian open:

carillo was talking about how much the top players like serena williams, maria sharapova, justine henin, and venus williams (to a lesser extent), really seem to relish the heat of battle! they will scratch, claw, kick, scream or do whatever it takes to win! she commented that kimmie never had that quality and that same intensity about her.

i think that lleyton hewitt really did a number on kimmie's self-esteem by publicly dumping her and marrying beck cartwright so quickly. since then, kimmie seems to have become unnaturally obsessed about getting married?
but i hope everything works out the best for her so she can be truly happy!

hoosierbr
05-06-2007, 11:49 AM
Actually, Kim dumped Lleyton. Not the other way around. Lleyton, for once, was getting some sympathy. But he got over it.

Good for Kim. I just wish she would have handled this whole thing better. It would have saved her a lot of criticism.

tennisjunkiela
05-06-2007, 12:17 PM
Actually, Kim dumped Lleyton.

no actually, they called off their wedding mutually:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/3345341.stm.

BUT the conventional wisdom is that hewitt was already cheating with Bec Cartwright, which caused his breakup with Kim.

do the math on the timeline:
begins dating Kim in 2003, sets wedding date for Feb 2005

late october 2004 - kim and lleyton call off their wedding, less than 4 months before

feb 2005 - bec cartwright already pregnant by lleyton

july 2005 - lleyton marries cartwright instead

hoosierbr
05-06-2007, 12:23 PM
Hewitt was preparing for the Masters in Paris and was asked it about in his press conferences and all he said was he was shocked that Kim wanted to call off the wedding. Didn't sound very mutual.

Still, it's pretty clear he had someone lined up.

tennisjunkiela
05-06-2007, 02:16 PM
Hewitt was preparing for the Masters in Paris and was asked it about in his press conferences and all he said was he was shocked that Kim wanted to call off the wedding. Didn't sound very mutual.

they mutually called off their wedding on October 22nd - before the Paris Masters, which doesn't begin until the very end of October.

skip1969
05-06-2007, 02:17 PM
whatever the armchair psychiatrists and the national enquirer readers may say . . . she was a very good player/athlete whose heart just wasn't in it anymore. all credit to here for realizing that her the toll on her body was taking its toll and putting her future health in some jeopardy. plus, she's a girl on her way to the altar . . . and that sh*t takes time and energy.

so kudos to her. go get married, and have a life. there's more out there to achieve than running after a tennis ball till you drop.

Ronaldo
05-06-2007, 02:23 PM

This seems like the real reason she decided to announce bagging it two years ago. She'd retire even if she donned a habit and joined a convent.

jmsx521
05-06-2007, 03:07 PM
She'll be back like Hingis.I don't know if that is possible because Hingis plays with a Yonex, while Clijsters -- with an injury-maker PD.

vince916
05-06-2007, 03:15 PM
Brian Lynch (born on June 12, 1978) is a professional basketball player from Italy. He is currently playing on forward position, in a Belgium club of Euphony Bree, in Bree.

Beside basketball, he is also famous for being engaged to a Belgium tennis player, Kim Clijsters.

He is also a horrible basketball player.

I love his wikipedia article.

Morrissey
05-06-2007, 05:40 PM
I don't know if that is possible because Hingis plays with a Yonex, while Clijsters -- with an injury-maker PD.

Really, I think her problems were leg related. I don't know any other Babolat users with injuries. She's mainly retiring due to lack of motivation. Haas had shoulder surgery and he used a Dunlop while Ivanisevic had shoulder surgery and he used a Head. Rafter had shoulder problems and he used a Prince. Interesting, when men get married they don't feel like giving up the sport while women tend to. I understand the part about having kids and all, but men seem to play the sport because they love it while women love their sport but not over married life. They'll gladly drop the sport for marriage, while most men can keep playing while being married. Boys dream about being an athlete or a professional, while girls dream about having babies and being married to their prince charming. So it's understadable for Kim to give up tennis for married life. Most men wouldn't quit tennis at 24 for marriage, that's for sure.

kooyah
05-06-2007, 09:42 PM
Really, I think her problems were leg related. I don't know any other Babolat users with injuries.

Hasn't Andy Roddick had arm/shoulder injuries, or am I not remembering correctly?

Elina
05-06-2007, 10:14 PM
I kinda understand that she wanted to end already now but I do hope that she makes a comeback in few years time. ;) I always enjoyed watching Kim play (which I don't say of many female players).

breakfast_of_champions
05-07-2007, 08:09 AM

Still, it's pretty clear he had someone lined up.

maybe kim didn't want bec traveling with them on their honeymoon.

kim goes down as one of the great underachievers in tennis history.

simi
05-07-2007, 08:19 AM
Thank you, Kim. Enjoy your new life. We'll miss you. Nobody can do the "splits" on hardcourt like you can.

Tchocky
05-07-2007, 08:30 AM
It was the right decision. Her mind is not on the game. Better to call it quits now than to stink up the courts with mediocre performances. I wish Kim & Bryan the best of luck. You will be missed, Kim.