PDA

View Full Version : Found an old woodie....good or bad?

Duzza
05-06-2007, 04:27 AM
It's called a Spalding Gonzalez Championship. It was my mum's, but looked like a mens racquet, felt quite heavy too.

netman
05-06-2007, 05:16 AM
I've got a few Gonzales frames from Spalding. They used his name on everything from department store specials to TOTL. Typically, frames that were marketed as "Autograph" or "Signature" models were the the TOTL. So a "Gonzales Signature" would be the TOTL. I have one of these and its a very high quality frame, as nicely constructed as a Wilson Kramer Autograph.

Don't know your model, but you can gather some clues based on its construction. If has a nice thick leather grip, a high quality, clear varnish finish over exposed wood layers and thick glossy paint its probably a high end frame. Most of the mid-range and cheaper models had full paint (no exposed varnished wood) and thin leather or vinyl grips.

I'm sure some of the wood collectors can add more info.

-k-

Rabbit
05-06-2007, 06:33 AM
I think everyone who's ever played tennis with wood frames at one time or another owned a Pancho. My very first "real" tennis racket was a T2000. My very first wood frame was a Pancho Gonzalez Auto that a buddy of mine lent me because I broke a string in my T2000. I worked a trade because the PGA felt so good. Lots of memories in that line of frames.

phucng_10
05-06-2007, 08:36 AM
Well if you found one, you could play with it once in awhile, but I don't think a woody is suitable to play a match with.

Duzza
05-06-2007, 09:44 PM
I've got a few Gonzales frames from Spalding. They used his name on everything from department store specials to TOTL. Typically, frames that were marketed as "Autograph" or "Signature" models were the the TOTL. So a "Gonzales Signature" would be the TOTL. I have one of these and its a very high quality frame, as nicely constructed as a Wilson Kramer Autograph.

Don't know your model, but you can gather some clues based on its construction. If has a nice thick leather grip, a high quality, clear varnish finish over exposed wood layers and thick glossy paint its probably a high end frame. Most of the mid-range and cheaper models had full paint (no exposed varnished wood) and thin leather or vinyl grips.

I'm sure some of the wood collectors can add more info.

-k-

I thought this might be the case, cheers.

Well if you found one, you could play with it once in awhile, but I don't think a woody is suitable to play a match with.

Well no sh**.

Zets147
05-06-2007, 10:04 PM
play with it! and make the switch!

tennisee
05-07-2007, 03:46 AM
There's a Pancho Gonzales Autograph in this pic. It's a nice racquet, made in Belgium. It's one of the heaviest woodies I have - but my sister used this when she was 13. How times have changed.
http://davidhume.net/tennis/wood.jpg