PDA

View Full Version : Slice BH Grip

cys19
05-06-2007, 06:49 AM
Continental. But...

I was looking at Henman's grip for his slice bh, and it looked a bit inbetween continental-eastern. So I gave this grip a try on my Head racquet and I received more stability. Does anyone use this inbetween continental-eastern slice bh grip for his/her Head racquet(s)? Is it a good idea?

ramseszerg
05-06-2007, 07:24 PM
hmmm I read about using the eastern grip for the slice somewhere, turbo tennis I think, and asked about it here but then the ppl here shot it down. I never thought about using something in between though. I'm comfortable with the continental right now so I'll just go with that, but interested to see what others have to say.

mucat
05-06-2007, 07:31 PM
Most people use continental. I use to use continental but I switched to eastern BH a few years ago. Simplified my game and better disguise, since now I am using only one grip for slice, topspin and flat.

thejackal
05-06-2007, 08:43 PM
ive been using continental ever since i started playing.

J011yroger
05-06-2007, 08:53 PM
Anywhere from continental to EBH, whatever works best for you, it is part grip and part wrist angle, do what feels right between those two.

J

Frank Silbermann
05-07-2007, 07:37 PM
Don't try to hit it with the "extreme eastern" (i.e., the western backhand). However, the classic eastern grip produces very strong, relatively flat slices. Look at video of Ellsworth Vines or Jack Kramer hitting strong eastern-grip backhand slices.

ps60
05-08-2007, 06:44 AM
if every 30 degree shift is a grip, we must have 6 different grips...

so, let me see W, SW, E, Continental... we miss 2.
if one is australian, the other may be Fiji :)

Lately, i find my hand likes to grip whatever it feels good, not listening to the brain anymore.

Andres
05-08-2007, 07:01 AM
I don't know if the 30 degrees is accurate. There are 4 bevels on each side of the axis (3, actually, with the top bevel on both sides).
Continental, Eastern, Semiwestern, Wstern, and continental with the other side (Hawaiian), and same thing on the other side (forehand grips for lefties :p)

Tim Tennis
05-08-2007, 04:10 PM
I don't know if the 30 degrees is accurate. There are 4 bevels on each side of the axis (3, actually, with the top bevel on both sides).
Continental, Eastern, Semiwestern, Wstern, and continental with the other side (Hawaiian), and same thing on the other side (forehand grips for lefties :p)

There 8 bevels on a racquet. There are 8 angles created when bevel meets bevel. There are 360 degrees in a circle so the average angle is 45 degrees. If all the planes/bevels were of equal width then all the angles would be 45 degrees. So therefore the more rectangular the shape becomes the greater variation in degrees each angle would have but they would all add up to 360 degrees.

Everyone always talks about in "between grips" so based on the above this would change the racquet head angle 22.5 degrees if the handle was symmetrical. To find an in-between grip the knuckle on the base of the index finger must rest on the point where bevel meets bevel. This is not a good thing actually because it would be easy to slide one way or the other. The reason so many people have so many in-between grips is because the bevels necessary for finding the SW or the Cont. grip are just too small.

There is a better shaped grip for Semi-Western and the Continental.

http://www.tennisgeometrics.com/SemiWestern_power_forehand.html
http://www.tennisgeometrics.com/Continental_Tennis_Grip.html

This is a great discussion. The grips are so important to playing your best tennis. It seems like people are paying more and more attention to the grip.

Best regards,

Ed
Tennis Geometrics

http://www.tennisgeometrics.com

YonexDude
05-08-2007, 05:41 PM
i figured someone would try to sell something here.

it is quite common for some players (especially pros) to hit their slice backhand with a continental/eastern (forehand) grip. this does produce a flatter shot. if you have some trouble with your slices floating too much, try moving your grip over just a TINY bit, don't make a very drastic change

N4n45h1
05-08-2007, 06:09 PM
i thought we were talking about eastern backhand grip since changing to an eastern forehand grip would open up the racket face more

mucat
05-08-2007, 09:23 PM
it is quite common for some players (especially pros) to hit their slice backhand with a continental/eastern (forehand) grip.

...eastern FH for BH slice? You mean eastern BH for BH slice, right?

z-money
05-08-2007, 09:29 PM
continental is good for hitting a slice drive but for drops eastern is good.

mucat
05-08-2007, 10:14 PM
continental is good for hitting a slice drive but for drops eastern is good.

hmmm......

tennis_hand
05-08-2007, 10:32 PM
don't think and read so much. just accept continental grip and use it.

Bartelby
05-08-2007, 11:53 PM
The German Tennis Association recommends the EBH and I think it does help to close the racquet face more and hit a more penetrating slice.

zapvor
05-09-2007, 07:40 PM
i dont get all the constant adivice of continental for bh slice. for serves, i agree, but for slices i find that you should just use whatever grip you feel most natural/comfrotable to you. to restrict yourself to continental no matter what is just stupid i think. in fact, i vary my grip depending on how much slice i want to put on it. just my 2cents

cys19
05-10-2007, 09:18 AM
I'm finding myself gripping too hard for BH slices, and so my hands gets sore after a few swings. I think it's either my swinging mechanics or my grip. I'm using both my obliques and shoulder (for momentum and a full swing from a full takeback), and my left arm for counterbalance. Has anyone had this problem before and fixed it?

counterfeit25
05-10-2007, 09:43 AM
...eastern FH for BH slice? You mean eastern BH for BH slice, right?

Actually my coach from a while ago recommended I do the BH slice with a *slight* eastern forehand grip, and he's got a really good slice and BH volleys. So I don't think Yonexdude made a typo...

SalvadorVeiga
05-10-2007, 12:49 PM
Actually my coach from a while ago recommended I do the BH slice with a *slight* eastern forehand grip, and he's got a really good slice and BH volleys. So I don't think Yonexdude made a typo...

you're right...I myself hit with Eastern Forehand and I can say that my Bachand slices are feared as well my drop shots with my backhand... the reason i think is you can drive a more penetrating shot with something closer to the Eastern FH...it's more closer to Continental though... or maybe its somewhere in between bevels... I tried many times variances and that is the one that works best... I can slice the ball really deep making it almost not to bouce... ;)

mucat
05-10-2007, 01:07 PM
I dont think eastern FH grip for BH slice is a good idea, it might be more difficult to drive thru the ball since your hitting zone will be closer to you. Close to continental is ok, but can't be close eastern FH grip.

But hey, I use eastern BH for flat serve , so...

One of the thing I like about the eastern BH grip is you can use pronation on the slice.

mucat
05-10-2007, 01:11 PM
I'm finding myself gripping too hard for BH slices, and so my hands gets sore after a few swings. I think it's either my swinging mechanics or my grip. I'm using both my obliques and shoulder (for momentum and a full swing from a full takeback), and my left arm for counterbalance. Has anyone had this problem before and fixed it?

Maybe wrong grip size? You should not be gripping hard, it should be a effortless shot.

SFtennisGG
05-12-2007, 04:50 AM
obviously the continetal would be text book but I use an eastern grip. whatever works dependent on your swing motion.

bluestreak711
05-16-2007, 08:42 PM
Continental. But...

I was looking at Henman's grip for his slice bh, and it looked a bit inbetween continental-eastern. So I gave this grip a try on my Head racquet and I received more stability. Does anyone use this inbetween continental-eastern slice bh grip for his/her Head racquet(s)? Is it a good idea?

the grip you are talking about bewteen continental and eastern is called the australian grip

it is rarely talked about with that grip you are able to put back spin and top spin and hit flat shots all with that one grip but on the forehand slice i stil recomend continental but you can use the australian grip for slice