PDA

View Full Version : Just Tried Pure Drive Team

bumfluff
05-06-2007, 01:42 PM
Ok, I was just down at the local courts (by the way I live in Dunblane, Andy Murray's home town so I must be l33t) and I tried a friend's Pure Drive Team racket. And hit the ball pretty darn well, a lot better than with my current racket (original Triad Hammer T4) even though I have only had my current backhand (single hander) since 4:30 this afternoon.

I was just wondering people'e general opinion of this racket and was wondering how it would compare to the likes of the k 6.1 team and n6.1 team as I might try to get a friend to let me borrow her n team.

I found I have been timing the ball so much better with a much more balanced and slightly heavier racket and also with my new backhand. However, I did find the Pure Drive offered maybe a little too much power at the expense of control. Would I be better off trying the n team or something or are the sweet spots on those a little small for my skills?

textbook strokes
05-06-2007, 08:02 PM
There is a simbiotic relation between the Pd and what is called "modern technique", especially on clay.
This racquet (along with the poly strings) revolutionned the game to what it is today, allowing to control incredible power with spin. And what is also incredible is that it can be used for players of any level, from begginers to pros, providing the player strikes with some kind of non classical grip,like cont. or eastern. As long as you use semi-west or western you should be able to tame its power.
Having said all that, I must confess i failed to settle with it. I just prefer heavier racquets :-( , even recognizing the technological superiority of the PD (Even better now with cortex).
I can't comment on the K 6.1 team, but the ncode team is very maneuverable, traditional kind of frame and not demanding. It just lacks some weigth IMHO.
I hope I've helped.

bumfluff
05-07-2007, 12:17 AM
Yeah thanks, how does the n6.1 compare with the PD is it as easy to strike the ball with it?

phucng_10
05-07-2007, 12:44 AM
Well, to me, I don't think you can compare the 6.1 90 or 95 to a PD.

bumfluff
05-07-2007, 01:05 AM
I suppose they are completely different rackets, but howdoes the hitting area on the two rackets compare, is it a lot easier to hit the ball with the PD?

PED
05-07-2007, 08:32 AM
I own a PD and have played a lot with an N61. I think the pd is consistently easier to play with. Yes, you must spin it to consistently get the ball in but that's doable. I'm personally not good enough on a daily basis to play with the Wilson but it's a great racquet. I could probably rise to the occasion around 30% of the time. The new k90 is especially smooth, but the question is are you accurate enough to hit the sweet spot all the time. You really need to give the Wilson a try.

movdqa
05-07-2007, 09:30 AM
Some people prefer to hit using plowthrough rather than racquet-head acceleration. I'm in the former camp and have to change how I hit the ball when playing with lighter racquets.

rosenstar
05-07-2007, 10:33 AM
They wilson 6.1 series is completely different in every way from the babolat PD.

textbook strokes
05-07-2007, 01:53 PM
The op asked about the team version of the ncode that is lighter. The real 6.1 is also an outstanding racquet imho. Its demanding nature comes not from the size of sweetspot, which is large, but rather from its heavyness, that makes it not suitable for anyone.

bumfluff
05-07-2007, 02:01 PM
HMMM, I will ask my friend if I can borrow her racket again as I am sure she can spare one of them. I also have the option of demoing some other Babolats look here (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=131888)