PDA

View Full Version : Rules Question: Ball stuck in the net.

chlsmo
05-07-2007, 01:33 AM
First serve stuck in the net. We played it as a let, but is there some kind of permanent fixture rule that applies here or something? This is the second time this has happened to me inside of a week. Help is appreciated, thanks!

forzainter
05-07-2007, 02:50 AM
i would probably say 2nd serve, i dont think its a let.

ShcMad
05-07-2007, 03:20 AM
i would probably say 2nd serve, i dont think its a let.

I agree. Even if the ball goes through the net and lands in the service box, it's still considered fault. At one pro match (can't remember who played), the ball went through the net during the serve and into the service box. But, the umpire saw that and said something like "Ball went through the net. Second serve."

SlapShot
05-07-2007, 05:13 AM
If it's stuck in the net, it's a fault. Just like hitting the net is a fault.

chlsmo
05-07-2007, 08:20 AM
ok cool, i just figured if it never bounced... but ok next time second serve it will be.

Shura
05-07-2007, 09:57 AM
It's a fault. To be IN, gotta pass OVER the net, without touching it, and land IN the service box ;)

Taxvictim
05-07-2007, 01:20 PM
Agree with all above, but your opponent might allow a let due to the hindrance of removing the ball from the net. Anytime you are unduly interrupted or delayed between your first and second serves by something that is not your fault, you might get a let.

psp2
05-07-2007, 02:52 PM
Agree with all above, but your opponent might allow a let due to the hindrance of removing the ball from the net. Anytime you are unduly interrupted or delayed between your first and second serves by something that is not your fault, you might get a let.

Why would a receiving player/team grant a let due to the server's fault? The server made a service fault. The ball is removed by the server. 2nd serve is correct.

lethalfang
05-07-2007, 04:14 PM
I did that once when I was warming up my serves. My opponent and I were quite amused, but neither of us knew what the rule was on that.

papa
05-07-2007, 05:00 PM
If it's stuck in the net, it's a fault. Just like hitting the net is a fault.

Hitting the net is not a fault, it a "net". In this case its also a "fault".

As most know if it hits the net and then goes into the appropriate service box it would be a "net", "let". If it hits the net and does not go into the service box it would be a "net', "fault". In most cases without line judges we just say "let" or "net".

Taxvictim
05-07-2007, 05:58 PM
Why would a receiving player/team grant a let due to the server's fault? The server made a service fault. The ball is removed by the server. 2nd serve is correct.

I said I agreed with those who said it was a fault, but you're right. Why would a receiving player grant a let due to the server's fault? The original poster said, however, that his opponent allowed it as a let. I was only speculating as to why. The confusion is from my bad wording.

Play ball!

beernutz
05-07-2007, 06:57 PM
{snip}Anytime you are unduly interrupted or delayed between your first and second serves by something that is not your fault, you might get a let.

Just to clarify this sentence, the server is not granted a let if the server caused the delay, and since the server is the one who hit the ball into the net it would seem clear that he or she can't claim a let.

I think we are probably saying the same thing.

USTA Comment 23.2: What happens when there is a delay between
the first and second serves? If the delay is caused by the receiver
(such as a broken string or contact lens problem), an official,
or outside interference, the whole point is replayed. If the server
caused the delay, such as when the server breaks a string, the server
gets one serve. Note that a spectator’s call (“out,” “fault,” or other), a
spectator’s ringing cell phone, or grunting on an adjacent court is not
basis for replaying the point. Action should be taken to prevent further
spectator interference.

chlsmo
05-07-2007, 08:04 PM
it was just a social game, so no big deal. It just got us thinking.