PDA

View Full Version : "Lifting" when going for winner

guedoguedo
05-07-2007, 06:49 AM
I have found that when I try to rip a groundstroke on the forehand side, it feels good to lift off the ground. But i also find that the ball goes hi and long when I do this. When I have experiemented and kept my feel planted firmly, i get a lot more control, but undecided on power. If the ball is higher it is ok to jump IMO, but on those waist height balls, lifting off the ground appears to be a recipe for disaster. What have you found???

Fedace
05-07-2007, 06:59 AM
I have found that when I try to rip a groundstroke on the forehand side, it feels good to lift off the ground. But i also find that the ball goes hi and long when I do this. When I have experiemented and kept my feel planted firmly, i get a lot more control, but undecided on power. If the ball is higher it is ok to jump IMO, but on those waist height balls, lifting off the ground appears to be a recipe for disaster. What have you found???

That is definite NO no. Your head must stay perfectly still when you rip forehands to maintain balance, to maintain control. Look at Federer when he hits a big forehand and see how still his head is, and the amazing focus onthe ball. You will find that if you use a radar gun, if you hit a forehand while jumping off the ground or your feet on the ground, there is hardly any diff in speed.

babar
05-07-2007, 09:29 AM
I also have a bad habit of "jumping" or "lifting" off the ground when really going for a heater/winner groundstroke, especially on the FH. What helped me to hit those shots more consistently, was to adjust the swingpath and grip when I know or feel that I will "jump" into the FH. I switch to a more extreme Western FH grip and swing on a more low to high path. That has helped me to hit those shots deeper and heavier.

Fedace is correct that keeping your head still is the best way to increase consistency on those shots. With the increase in swing speed on those shots and the lack of a stable base b/c you are off the ground, keeping your head still will really keep you from jsut flailing at the ball.

Good Luck.

JRstriker12
05-07-2007, 10:08 AM
I have the same bad habit. I tend to jump before I hit the ball which totally messes with my consistency and robs my stroke of power.

Really, you don't want to jump into the stroke, you want the power and momentum generated by the kenetic chain leading into the stroke to carry you into the air after you hit the ball. It's a totally diferent feeling.

p0w3r
05-07-2007, 02:49 PM
wile you shouldnt jump...most pros today "lift" from the ground on contact. this is called "angular momentum" heres a video i found that explains it http://iws.punahou.edu/user/lcouillard/2006/11/open_not_angular.html

When you do this, it should come naturally. I have found that for me, if i try to force it, i will mishit the ball or hit it out...but if i hit hard and focused, i end up doing it naturally. I use a very semiwestern forehand...and like the video says, you need to have an extreme grip to do it.

jasoncho92
05-07-2007, 02:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix6cKaCqak0

That was for a ball below shoulder level

ps60
05-07-2007, 03:11 PM
no problem with me
Do it all the time
it's better to jump as part of the swing, not just jump up. and not hit the ball when u 're falling...

fuzz nation
05-08-2007, 08:38 AM
Biggest fix I made this winter was learning to "stay down" through my forehand stroke and it's so much better, well it's downright scary. Jumping works for some sluggers, but it usually throws me out of shape for hitting well.

The higher shot is a little different - I mean the one that's up around shoulder or head height. Sometimes I'll hit that one directly out in front of me with a sideswipe that sends it back with a left-to-right slice. Since it's a curveball, I try to stay away from the sidelines with it.

I know that you can't do it all the time, but when you can spot a ball coming that's going to be a high bouncer and you can move in on it early enough, you can take it on the rise and put your opponent in trouble in a hurry. Definately a shot you want to have in your toolbox on match day.