PDA

View Full Version : What does it take to hit a 200kph serve?

djones
09-19-2004, 03:28 AM
What does it take to hit a 200kph serve?
Is this reachable for any amateur player or do you really need professional training to hit big services like this?
And how long would it take for me to hit a serve with this speed?

JohnThomas1
09-19-2004, 04:16 AM
Genetics, genetics, genetics. For an amateur that is serious speed. Technique means a lot but the finest kinetic chain on Earth won't let you serve at that speed unless you have some serious talent IMHO. What do you serve at now? How long have you played? How would you rate your technique ? What height and weight are you? *Shows badge* :)

aahala
09-19-2004, 06:08 AM
200kph is about 124 mph.

It's not a realistic goal.

During the US Open coverage this year, McEnroe mentioned the increase in the number of top rated pros that could serve at some rate. Something like 120 mph as I remember compared to a few years ago. I don't remember the numbers but it's been quite an increase.

The reason I bring this up relative to your post is that a significant percentage of the best players can't serve at this speed, implying even a much larger number of amateurs would be unable to do so.

jun
09-19-2004, 07:21 AM
120 is a serious number. You need years and years of practice. And you must, must have good technique on the serve. Also you should at least be 5-10.

TwistServe
09-19-2004, 07:32 AM
I don't think 120 is a big deal.. At the club I play there are quite a few players that can push 120... I know one coach at the club that clocked 138 on 2 consecutive serves.. every pro is doing at least 120mph now, and lots of juniors are doing 120-130+ MPH.. S. Jenskins and G.Monfis are pushing 135+ mPH serves.. 120 was a serious number 10 years ago but with the players today, its not that big of a number..

so to reiterate, yes most amatuers prolly will only go to 100-105 max, but there are still lots of club players that can easily push 120.

TwistServe
09-19-2004, 07:35 AM
200kph is about 124 mph.
The reason I bring this up relative to your post is that a significant percentage of the best players can't serve at this speed, implying even a much larger number of amateurs would be unable to do so.

What are you talking about? Name me the "best" players that can't hit a 120mph serve? Almost everyone can hit it, even Nadal who has a slow weak serve is pushing 116mph.. Vincent spadea is hittin 125+, Henman usually does 125+... moya 130+, the migit rocus is doin 125ish..

djones
09-19-2004, 09:03 AM
120 is a serious number. You need years and years of practice. And you must, must have good technique on the serve. Also you should at least be 5-10.Why can't smaller players hit 120mph or harder?
I'm just 5-9 I think, and I could hit the ball flat with full power, but sure it doesn't go 120mph, but I don't see the problem why I couldn't be able to hit 120mph serves due to my limited height.
When watching elena dementieva hitting that very poor serve, it still clocks 80/90 miles per hour, and it "doesn't seem" to be a big problem hitting harder than that.

Power Game
09-19-2004, 09:13 AM
You should have no problem hitting 120+.

First is technique, are your moving forward, hitting with an extended arm... and all the rest.

2nd is physical build, you will need a strong body especially shoulder, and legs.

Height is 3rd. Being taller allows you to hit the ball higher up and in turn lets you hit flatter for more speed.

4th is the racquet, a powerful racquet (like a babolat) will easily add around 10 mph on your serve. Are you wiling to hit bigger serves with a tradeoff with the rest of your game (some ppl don't have a tradeoff, I use a LM prestige and a babolat may add some mph to my serve but I don't like them for groundstrokes...).

degreefanlindi
09-19-2004, 09:14 AM
I think the modern racquet technology has greatly improved the velocity of serves. Obviously it doesn't take as much effort to generate racquet speed...which is the main factor in serving at such high speeds. But another key I think in serving at such a fast pace is the knee bend players utilize to gain momentum...much like the windup used by baseball pitchers.

OnyxZ28
09-19-2004, 09:47 AM
I think one thing that is underrated is how heavy the serve is. With a HH 5.3, my serves are faster than with the Prestige, but serving with the Prestige, the strokes are much heavier because of the extra heft of the stick.

James Brown
09-19-2004, 10:09 AM
jenkins and monfils can blast it, but look at them, their cut, really cut, and TALL. that and years of practice. the smaller guys like coria and even rochus can hit around that, but thats because they are REALLY CUT. look at coria, hes insanely ripped. im 5'7 1/2 and i can crack 100 on a good day, but i play once a week and have no technique. im also pretty badly out of shape :> if you practice your technique, work out the important areas (trunk,legs,shoulder/arms) you should be able to hit that.

skuludo
09-19-2004, 09:25 PM
Can a person at 5'6 hit the serve at 200KM/H and still land in?

JohnThomas1
09-19-2004, 10:21 PM
Wouldn't be much margin for error would there. Easier if they jumped 3 feet up lol. I shouldn't laff here that's about my height. If you added a bit of spin for margin of error you would be looking at extraordinary raquet head speed. I'd love to see us all times and suss out what we really serve at. I myself have no idea. A guy i play with is one of the fastest servers in the state here and christ he cranks em. Supposedly times at 215 in England when he visited. I don't doubt it at all, he is eons faster than a guy i played well back that was times at 185. I'd be lucky to hit 160 i bet.

splink779
09-20-2004, 06:39 AM
S. Williams is about 5'8" and can hit over 130 mph so that proves that short people can hit good serves, there's really no excuse. Or try a longer raquet. I'm 5'7" and when I got my PD+ my serve improved by a huge amount.

James Brown
09-20-2004, 10:15 AM
grosjean is 5'8 , he hits 130+...yes its possible. serena doesnt hit 130, either way, shes got too much muscle eheh.

splink779
09-20-2004, 11:19 AM
Hasn't serena hit at least 130 mph before?

Mikael
09-20-2004, 01:49 PM
I assume build has nothing to do with hitting a 120 mph serve. Your height affects your chances of actually hitting it IN, but clocking 120mph cannot have much to do with a few inches here or a few pounds there.

What probably matters,* aside from technique*, is your explosive strength capacity (not pure strength, as in benching 400lbs once, nor endurance strength, as in performing 40 consecutive pullups, but explosive strength). Explosive strength has little to do with size or bulk. You can be "cut" or "toned" or "built" whatever you want and still suck at serving hard. Or you can be Taylor Dent, or Mario Ancic, and be one of the fastest servers in the world.

You can improve your explosive strength with pylometrics exercises. It's all about optimizing your nervous sytem, not about how much muscle you pack or what bodyfat % you carry.

nyu
09-21-2004, 02:22 PM
Your height doesn't make that much of a difference in terms of actual speed, but makes a monumental difference in a player's ability to get the serve to land in. I'm 5'6 and can clock 110 on a radar gun with a fairly weak shoulder(by 5.0 level standards), but i would probably get 1/7 of those serves in, missing by about a foot because of the logistics. I also play with the Ncode six-one, which is great for serving in terms of heaviness and control, but not so much for all out power. I know that if I was 6 inches taller, I would be able to hit a 115-120 mph serve into the box because of the extra arm leverage and explosiveness that those 6 inches give you(if I was in the same shape I'm in now).

Vlad
09-21-2004, 09:34 PM
I am about 5'8" and 3.5 level... I have this mini gun for tennis and soccer so i go sometimes to see how fast i can hit it... I can regularly hit at 90mph wish few serves go in 95mph range.. BTW I had shoulder problems for the past 3-4 years and don't play a lot... My disks in my back are screw up a bit and my wrist is hurting.. I am playing with Wilson 6.1 Pro staff. I have pretty bad technique and everyone is saying I am not excellerating into the ball and my serve looks like Dementieva's second serve after I recorder myself play with somebady few times...

corncob3466
09-23-2004, 09:18 AM
sebastian grosjean is only like 5'7 and he can blast off in the 130s. lleyton hewitt has a pretty big serve and he is about the same height

devwizard
09-23-2004, 09:53 AM
in my opinion, the only key to developing the big serve is technique, technique, technique. Now once you've developed that big serve technique, thats when the training, whatever it may be, is what takes you over that plateau and puts you on basically a professional serving level. I personally am a fairly thin 6'1" player, and i regularly clock at 110 and have the capability to hit in the 120 range. But though the extra height definitely makes it easier for me to generate consistency with my serve power, I know of other juniors whom i have played who can easily get to 110 and 120+ without my height. The key is just having PERFECT technique and timing and everything. In my case, it takes a lot of pure serving practice to keep up my serve speed, which hope to bump up into the 120s this year.

But something else to consider: Though power can be beneficial on serves, in my opinion, placement is even better. A serve hit 90 mph in the corner is far more effective than a 125 mph serve hit to your opponents forehand.

a529612
09-23-2004, 12:30 PM
I am about 5'8" and 3.5 level... I have this mini gun for tennis and soccer so i go sometimes to see how fast i can hit it... I can regularly hit at 90mph wish few serves go in 95mph range..

What mini gun do you use to clock your own serve? Where can you buy it?

badmice2
09-28-2004, 01:49 PM
michael chang...at 5'6 (i think), with the longbody, was hitting 120+. It may be the racket, but is definitely techniques. I'm not club pro but I've hit 120+ serves before; the right racket and the right technique can get you there.