PDA

View Full Version : Replace my 6.1 classic?

mojone
05-07-2007, 07:58 AM
Hey all. I recently finished grad school and moved to new england for a job. I'm looking to get back into the tennis scene after a very looooong drought. In high school I used and still use the old wilson 6.1 classic. I would probablly rate out now around a 4.0 with strong consistent ground strokes, weaker volleys and net game, and a powerful but semi-inconsistent serve.

It's been 4-5 years since I've kept up on the new racquets, technologies, and trends. I love the way my racquet is weighted and it's solid feel but when I serve with something newer I can add a ton more power to my serve and ground strokes and would like to upgrade. I don't like oversized heads or stetched models, and the ultra light stuff screws my timing up and I lose some control with them (although I never used them enough to really adapt). I can generate my own power but don't want to have to work as hard to do it anymore.

Anyone want to suggest something here. I'm totally clueless on what's out now.....for all manufacturers. Thanks.

EZRA
05-07-2007, 08:05 AM
I've been using 6.1 classics for the longest time (1991-2006) ... like you, I stopped playing for a few years (about 3-4 years) then went back to playing last year. First thing I noticed was that I wasn't as strong as I was and I felt like my racquet was too much for me to handle effectively. So I switched to the Ncode six-one 95 ... almost the same feel as the 6.1 classic yet it has a bit more pop to it. It's a great racquet.. although, Wilson had recently released their new line (K Factor) which is supposed to be an upgraded version to the NCode. I haven't tried them yet so I can comment about those.

warreng
05-07-2007, 08:27 AM
I currently play a PSC 6.1 and just recently demoed the K6.1.

To be quite honest, I didn't hit any better with one or the other. The one thing that I noted was that the K6.1 felt a little bit "dead" compared to my old PSC 6.1 I did notice that the K6.1 had a little less "power" but that could have been because of a tighter string tension.

There wasn't enough of a difference to make the $200 switch, IMO.

Stick with the PSC. It's a great stick.

fuzz nation
05-07-2007, 09:50 AM
Same here; I've been using those Wilsons for a long time and have been on a long search (at least two years) for something to transition into. As far as a good serve and volley or doubles frame goes, that 6.1 is really tough to beat. I've found that its extra stiffness really held me back at the baseline though, because I couldn't swing away and turn the ball over. All that stiffness means a lot of pop and velocity, so I experimented with more flexible frames.

Two racquets were really nice in my rounds of demos from TW. The first was the Fischer M Speed Pro #1 98, which was very competent from everywhere on the court for me. The second was the Prince O3 Hybrid Tour which was a really pleasant surprise - my immediate impression of this racquet was that it felt like my Prostaff on a diet and I'm shopping for a 2nd hand one that I can play for a while.

If you're looking for something that's easier to swing than the 6.1 Classic, you might want to check on the newer "Six-One" models from Wilson - I think they're a little less hefty - or even some different racquets in the Wilson family such as the nSix-Two or the nTour.

mojone
05-07-2007, 10:16 AM
thanks for the replies. Like I said.....I have no clue what's come out lately so I had to ask. Been a VERY slow day at work and been doing a lot of research. Looks like the Classic is alive and well still. I'm not really into dropping hundreds of bucks on a few new racquets that hit the same as my currents. I might just drop the tension down a little on mine to up the power and in the mean time and demo a wide range. It's been so long I might find I want something totally different now.

hadoken
05-07-2007, 10:32 AM
There's no point switching. The only real baggage with the 6.1 Classic is the stiffness and if you have no problems there, I would not change. I don't think the N code versio is as good as the original

jasonbourne
05-07-2007, 11:32 AM
I agree with hadoken.

Two of my regular hitting partners continue to use their PSC 6.1 rackets with me. They have different styles. One is baseliner, other all-courter. They tried the newer rackets available, but they play most effective with the PSC 6.1.

String it with wilson nxt tour 16g or 17g and you will have fun in comfort.

VGP
05-07-2007, 11:34 AM
Switch.....for the paintjob alone. It's kinda dated in a very non-classic sort of way.

Or as the Rolling Stones say......paint it black.

;)

mojone
05-07-2007, 11:51 AM
Ha, they were ugly when they were still new! I definitely didn't buy it to win any beauty contests....just tennis matches.

fuzz nation
05-07-2007, 07:19 PM
I've tried multifiber strings in my 6.1's and it was too lively for me, so I stick with 17 ga syn gut for feel and control. If you need more zip in your frames, you might want to try some multi's or even nat'l gut or a gut hybrid.

SamBruin
05-07-2007, 11:24 PM
Be careful with those Classic 6.1 frames.. they're notorious for wrecking peoples' arms. The stiffness rating may only be a few pts higher than the nCode and the K-factor but I'm telling you those Classics are a lot stiffer. Most likely due to the frame having an almost uniform stiffness from handle to the top of the hoop whereas the K-factor flexes more in the throat from my experience. My shoulder thanks me for having made the switch.

Phil
05-07-2007, 11:27 PM
Be careful with those Classic 6.1 frames.. they're notorious for wrecking peoples' arms. The stiffness rating may only be a few pts higher than the nCode and the K-factor but I'm telling you those Classics are a lot stiffer. Most likely due to the frame having an almost uniform stiffness from handle to the top of the hoop whereas the K-factor flexes more in the throat from my experience. My shoulder thanks me for having made the switch.

Amen - the 6.1 really set me back with tennis elbow-took me years to get over it. Oh, yeah, it hits like a charm. I haven't hit the ball with more pace and spin since I gave it up, but giving up hiting a heavy, heavy ball in order to save my arm is, I think, a pretty fair trade off.

fgs
05-08-2007, 01:25 AM
while spec-wise it might really sound weird as a "transition" from the psc 6.1, you should give the nblade 98 a try. i've been away from tennis for a long time, had and still have psc 6.1, but felt that they are too heavy for me in the mean time. so, initially i went with the n6.1 95 for a year and was o.k., till i "accidentally" got my hands on a nblade.

Andres
05-08-2007, 05:05 AM

Amen - the 6.1 really set me back with tennis elbow-took me years to get over it. Oh, yeah, it hits like a charm. I haven't hit the ball with more pace and spin since I gave it up, but giving up hiting a heavy, heavy ball in order to save my arm is, I think, a pretty fair trade off.
I have used the frames for the past 5 years (and heavily customized) and I never had any elbow or shoulder problems (well, at least, from tennis... my shoulder problems come from basketball injuries).
If your technique is refined, a PS6.1 is one heck of a frame.

Pleepers
05-08-2007, 05:24 AM

What? I never knew it was known for such elbow problems. Im not suggesting that this wasnt the case it just comes a shocker to me. I always found the frame pretty comfortable to play with because of its 20% Kevlar and high static weight. To each his own?

As for a update: If you like the classic 6.1 try the new K-factor version. My understanding is that they are clones in design with the exception being that the newer version is a bit lighter. Demo it.

bluegrasser
05-08-2007, 05:30 AM

Phil: are you still playing with the Prestige ?

mojone
05-10-2007, 11:15 AM
Well I finally got out last night and was able to really hit the ball for the first time in a few years (other than some backboards or feeds to the wife the last 2 weeks) I was hitting the ball great for as rusty as I am and was really looking for something I thought I could improve on with a new racquet......I couldn't find one. Hell even my net game was good.

Like I originally said, the only thing I didn't like the was that it was a little too heavy. I was very scrawny back when I played seriously but I've been hitting the weights hard for the last year and half and have really bulked a lot since then. Once I got a chance to swing away the extra stength I have more than made up for the weight and pace wasn't an issue.

I've never once had any arm issues so until I do it looks like I'll hold on to "old ugly". Thanks for the help......

VGP
05-10-2007, 12:26 PM
That racket is just fine.....big enough and stiff enough to work.....heavy enough to put work on the ball.

Afterall, these things are just handled hoops with strings.....go out and enjoy.

saul of gaul
05-13-2007, 06:08 PM
Hey Mojone - I played the PSC from 1992 to 1999 but had to give it up because it was too heavy. Serving was killing me ( i turned 40 in 1998). I tried the Hyper ProStaff 6.5 which was really just a wind up and fire machine (but great fun, I still have 2), and the Fischer Pro 1, which was great but i was dialed into the Wilson grip shape and couldn't always find my backhand. I picked up a k factor 95 18x20 in January. It is reasonably similar to the PSC 6.1 but you can generate more racquet speed with the K. The K will crank the same wicked angles on serves and groundstrokes as the 6.1, generates more spin overall with less effort, but gives up some of the volley feel of the the PSC. I think this is just due to the materials and construction. Stick with the 18x20.