PDA

View Full Version : Vantage and TW meet

sureshs
05-07-2007, 09:20 AM
"We met with Paul from Vantage and discussed the possibility of TW distributing a limited line of prebuilt racquets. After playtesting the racquets, our team felt the racquets were solid, but they didn't feel there was anything not currently being offered by other brands. As for the customized Vantage racquets, we simply don't feel there is enough demand in the US to justify the time, resources and staffing required to execute this properly. Don/Tennis Warehouse"

(Today)

McGee
05-07-2007, 10:52 AM
Isn't this thread in the TW Questions/Comments section? What's up with re-posting here?

BTW, too bad. Vantage frames are fabulous. At least TW met with Vantage to look in to it..good for them. I hope Vantage does well in the US.

mileslong
05-07-2007, 11:26 AM
thanks for that update sureshs.

i appreciate TW looking into this at least. i dont agree with their thinking on this matter since they will also carry a line like bosworth etc and i think the custom options would make a nice addition to the TW line and i bet they would sell a lot more than bosworth, gamma etc.

as a successful marketing pro thats just my two cents, TW knows tennis better than i do...

tennis_nerd22
05-07-2007, 12:25 PM
i agree with TW on this matter... everything that vantage can offer is basically offered here in one brand or another... guess it depends how picky you are.

like they said, there are some people who would prefer vantage frames, but not enough people for it to be worthwhile (aka lots of profit) for TW.

its also good that TW listens to us and asks companies what we want them to ask, almost all the time too :)

0d1n
05-07-2007, 01:26 PM
i agree with TW on this matter... everything that vantage can offer is basically offered here in one brand or another... guess it depends how picky you are.

like they said, there are some people who would prefer vantage frames, but not enough people for it to be worthwhile (aka lots of profit) for TW.

its also good that TW listens to us and asks companies what we want them to ask, almost all the time too :)

That may be so...but almost every time, at least one component takes you out of the comfort zone. You like the specs of a Head, but you can't play with that grip shape, you like Wilson grip shape...or vice-versa. You like the specs of some 105 Fischer, but you want it in a 100...and so on and so on. I for one love the Fischer grip shape, but their rackets are generally extremely low powered, and I may like a bit more juice in a frame (just an example, the M-Speed might have it not sure as I only played for 20 minutes with one...the last versions of the Pro no 1 certainly didn't !). Just a few small, but very relevant examples on how...almost everything seems to be right with a racket...except ONE little thing that ruins it for you.
I must say that the most common factor would be the grip shape...if one could only put their preferred "Wilson-esque" grip shape on their preferred EXISTENT racket "specs" (from Head or Volkl ... or Fischer ... or whatever) then you would be right...but that can't really happen without significant effort and/or money spent. If Vantage would only offer the "grip choice" and it would still be an offer worth considering.

El Diablo
05-07-2007, 01:27 PM
It's meaningless to agree or disagree with either party here because none of us knows the details-- how the revenue would have been split -- would it have been enough for Vantage given that they typically sell without an intermediary, would it have been enough for TW compared with what they typically earn selling mainstream racquets, would there have been enough volume increase to make it worthwhile for Vantage given the fact that TW customers mostly know already where to find Vantage -- lots of variables that may not have worked out.

sureshs
05-07-2007, 01:47 PM
would it have been enough for TW compared with what they typically earn selling mainstream racquets

That is the core issue, I suspect. With the big names, TW has a constant stream of new models coming out every year, at high prices. The manufacturers have the muscle to advertise their new products, and a strategy of phasing out old models to keep the product selling. How much profit can be made out of Vantage racquets, when you take into account the overhead of tracking customizations? But as I am writing, I am thinking - why is cutomization costly these days? All it needs is a web page like what Vantage already has, and then sending the order to Vantage. Maybe it is the inventory stocking if TW takes it over? Making sure they have enough parts for the various combinations?

MTChong
05-07-2007, 02:01 PM
That's unfortunate; that Vantage sure has a nice feel - the one I have does anyway. Haven't felt a similar feel in another racquet yet (though it's not like I've tried a lot either).

0d1n
05-07-2007, 02:09 PM
That's unfortunate; that Vantage sure has a nice feel - the one I have does anyway. Haven't felt a similar feel in another racquet yet (though it's not like I've tried a lot either).

Could you name 2,3,4 rackets that you liked and 3 or 4 that you didn't so that we have a reference on what type of "feel" you like ? Also... what vantage specs do you have ?

Edit. Did a search and found out that it's the 1111 12 and you like the Redondo mid? :) Not much help ... I never used the Redondo :P

BreakPoint
05-07-2007, 02:39 PM
"We met with Paul from Vantage and discussed the possibility of TW distributing a limited line of prebuilt racquets. After playtesting the racquets, our team felt the racquets were solid, but they didn't feel there was anything not currently being offered by other brands. As for the customized Vantage racquets, we simply don't feel there is enough demand in the US to justify the time, resources and staffing required to execute this properly. Don/Tennis Warehouse"

(Today)

This is old news. I put Paul of Vantage in touch with Don of TW over two years ago. I suggested that they link the TW Racquet Finder to Vantage's custom racquet configurator so that when a customer searches for a racquet by specs in the Racquet Finder, the results would show all the current models from all the other brands that fit or are close to those specs, as well as, a custom racquet option with those EXACT specs from Vantage. If the customer chooses the Vantage option, Vantage could then either drop ship the custom built frame to the customer directly or ship it to TW for forwarding to the customer. TW would take a cut of the profit for all Vantage sales that went through the TW website.

Too bad it didn't work out. :-(

ilian
05-07-2007, 05:56 PM
This is old news. I put Paul of Vantage in touch with Don of TW over two years ago. I suggested that they link the TW Racquet Finder to Vantage's custom racquet configurator so that when a customer searches for a racquet by specs in the Racquet Finder, the results would show all the current models from all the other brands that fit or are close to those specs, as well as, a custom racquet option with those EXACT specs from Vantage. If the customer chooses the Vantage option, Vantage could then either drop ship the custom built frame to the customer directly or ship it to TW for forwarding to the customer. TW would take a cut of the profit for all Vantage sales that went through the TW website.

Too bad it didn't work out. :-(

Why didn't it work?

MTChong
05-07-2007, 06:40 PM
Could you name 2,3,4 rackets that you liked and 3 or 4 that you didn't so that we have a reference on what type of "feel" you like ? Also... what vantage specs do you have ?

Edit. Did a search and found out that it's the 1111 12 and you like the Redondo mid? :) Not much help ... I never used the Redondo :P

I actually like the feel of the Vantage more than the Redondo; only problem is that I burn through strings too quickly in them.

I've played extensively with the Tour Diablo Mid, the Vantage 90, the Redondo Mid... and I've hit with a POG MP (4-stripes), Head ProTour 280, Head LM Prestige Mid, Head LM Prestige MP, Dunlop M-Fil 200.

BreakPoint
05-07-2007, 08:45 PM
Why didn't it work?
Well, I guess as Don stated in the OP, it seems like TW didn't find the Vantage racquets unique enough to work out a deal with them. Again, it's too bad. :-(

I would have thought that Vantage could have added some value as an additional option to TW's line-up of mass produced racquets. Imagine if TW could offer its customers a significant increase in the number of options for various specs of a racquet. Perhaps TW could have worked out an exclusive deal so that TW's other online competitors would not be able to also offer the custom Vantage option?

equinox
05-08-2007, 02:12 AM
It didn't work out because of the US dollar.

BreakPoint
05-08-2007, 02:36 AM
It didn't work out because of the US dollar.
I'm sure that was not the reason. For one thing, the dollar was stronger two years ago. For another, Vantage has not raised their prices in US dollars over the past two years that they've been in business. In fact, if you count all the package deals, sales, clearances, and anniversary sales, their prices in US dollars have actually gotten lower. During their recent 2nd Anniversary sale, I almost picked up a few new pre-built racquets for only US$59 each!! It doesn't get much cheaper than that for a high-quality tennis racquet.

jelle v
05-08-2007, 02:59 AM
So was this about the topic where TW asks our opinion about some racketspecs? The racket with the 55 flexrating?

Jonnyf
05-08-2007, 03:47 AM
So was this about the topic where TW asks our opinion about some racketspecs? The racket with the 55 flexrating?

Nah, i think that might be a TW composite racket or a piush for a company wanting to see how specs would go down

sureshs
05-08-2007, 06:51 AM
This is old news. I put Paul of Vantage in touch with Don of TW over two years ago.

Getting Wilson to make the K90.

Getting Vantage and TW to talk.

You are getting to be quite a mover and shaker in the industry :-)

Richie Rich
05-08-2007, 08:24 AM
Getting Wilson to make the K90.

Getting Vantage and TW to talk.

You are getting to be quite a mover and shaker in the industry :-)

along with being an engineer and a financial consultant - wonder where he finds all the time? :mrgreen:

sureshs
05-08-2007, 09:33 AM
"Jorel, I appreciate your dedication to Vantage. However, the simple fact is it's easier for us to do business with Gamma, Avery and Power Angle (a better comparison than Dunlop...). They're all located in the US and distribution is painless. Vantage is not a US-based company, has little or no marketing presence among the majority of players and doesn't provide a marked advantage over other brands. (Keep in mind, we were only considering the prebuilt line of racquets.) I'm sorry you don't agree with our decision but the good news is you're still able to order directly from Vantage. Don/Tennis Warehouse"

sureshs
05-08-2007, 09:34 AM
along with being an engineer and a financial consultant - wonder where he finds all the time? :mrgreen:

No one said he is successful in what he does .... :-)

BreakPoint
05-08-2007, 11:48 AM
I am a man of many talents. ;) LOL

BreakPoint
05-08-2007, 11:49 AM
No one said he is successful in what he does .... :-)
Well, that depends on if you consider retiring before the age of 40 and doing nothing but play tennis all day "successful". :D

sureshs
05-08-2007, 11:58 AM
Well, that depends on if you consider retiring before the age of 40 and doing nothing but play tennis all day "successful". :D

IF that is true, it is being really successful. I wish I could have done the same. After all, the only reason to work is to be able to play tennis later :-)