PDA

View Full Version : How is Gustavo Kuerten doing ?

Gugarocks
05-07-2007, 08:44 AM
Hi everyone

I'm a huge guga - fanatic, but I don't know how he has been recovering last month. This year, he has lost in the first round of every tournament he played. In a few weeks I can go to Roland Garros for the first time, but I don't think he'll play there because his ranking dropped a lot.
I don't know if he is thinking of quitting ATP tennis, but I hope he'll say goodbye on the center court of Roland Garros some day. It would be nice for him and all of his fans.
Does anybody how he's doing ? I've checked his website but it hasn't been updated in English.

edmondsm
05-07-2007, 09:18 AM
I would hope that he would get a WC into Roland Garros as a 3 time champ. Sadly, I don't see him playing much longer as he has never been able to mount a decent comeback after the surgeries. I would have to say that the chances are good that this is his last FO.

Hope you get to see him play.

Gugafan_Redux
05-07-2007, 12:48 PM
He is struggling, sadly. He's only won one match this year.

http://www.atptennis.com/3/en/players/playerprofiles/playeractivity.asp?player=K293

hermano05
05-07-2007, 03:22 PM
Guga already received a WC from Roland Garros, but he is still thinking about it, because he wants to go there playing well instead of going there and lose at the first round. He didn't ask a WC to Hamburg yet, but he is thinking about playing it or Portschach.

jmsx521
05-07-2007, 03:27 PM
I saw him practicing in Miami, but wasn't impressed with his form. Other posters weren't as well. I am sure he knows that he isn't playing his best tennis, but is out there (maybe) to prove himself that he can get in better shape... or at least, he might be disregarding that he's not playing well and just compete because he loves it.

thomas martinez
05-07-2007, 06:50 PM
He's also about to try out some new Head rackets as well

Pleepers
05-07-2007, 09:04 PM
I really enjoyed watching him play a few years back. Is it his health or his confidence? :(

tenniko
05-07-2007, 09:21 PM
I really enjoyed watching him play a few years back. Is it his health or his confidence? :(

Injuries...injuries kill pros. You can recover like Canas from a ban (you can work on your fitness and game etc), but with physical injuries, especially if surgery is required, then you have to go through rehab and such, and you come back weaker physically (and mentally, due to not playing as much) and your game is off because you haven't played for so long. (Not to mention the game gets tougher/changes)

People who've needed surgeries, they can never regain their former dominance. I'm sure there are many that everyone knows right off the bat.

edit: I miss Guga as well. Best wishes for him and everyone who've had to battle through tough times.

Deuce
05-08-2007, 01:43 AM
He's also about to try out some new Head rackets as well
Oh... has Head come up with a 'new technology' designed to help players with persistent hip problems to achieve "more power and control"?

If the surgeries haven't helped, a new racquet won't help, either.

Hard to believe he burst on the tennis scene 10 years ago.
Time flies.

He was fun to watch.

tenniko
05-08-2007, 01:44 AM
Oh... has Head come up with a 'new technology' designed to help players with persistent hip problems to achieve "more power and control"?

If the surgeries haven't helped, a new racquet won't help, either.

Hard to believe he burst on the tennis scene 10 years ago.
Time flies.

He was fun to watch.

I loved the way he grunts. I miss his grunt :-D

thomas martinez
05-08-2007, 04:07 AM
According to what I've been told, he;s healthy, just lacking match play and confidence. Head is having him try two new Microgel frames.

Andres
05-08-2007, 04:57 AM
Injuries...injuries kill pros. You can recover like Canas from a ban (you can work on your fitness and game etc), but with physical injuries, especially if surgery is required, then you have to go through rehab and such, and you come back weaker physically (and mentally, due to not playing as much) and your game is off because you haven't played for so long. (Not to mention the game gets tougher/changes)

To be fair with him, this is Cañas 3rd or 4th comeback, after injuries and surgeries.
He had 3 wrist surgeries, one in 2000 (9 months away), another in 2003 (another 8 months away from the tour).

Guga's movement has been hevily hindered. He still can hit the ball damn fine, but if your body doesn't respond, it doesn't respond. Such a pity, he was great to watch.

tenniko
05-08-2007, 05:07 AM
To be fair with him, this is Caņas 3rd or 4th comeback, after injuries and surgeries.
He had 3 wrist surgeries, one in 2000 (9 months away), another in 2003 (another 8 months away from the tour).

Guga's movement has been hevily hindered. He still can hit the ball damn fine, but if your body doesn't respond, it doesn't respond. Such a pity, he was great to watch.

This time it was a ban, not an injury. Therefore, Canas could come back strong. I was arguing that comeback from an injury is not the same as "time off".

You can see that a lot of pros who've gone down the rankings after an injury (and surgery). I don't know of a lot of pros who've had "time off" (i.e. ban), but I'm sure that it's much more detrimental to the pros to comeback from an injury, no?

Andres
05-08-2007, 05:10 AM
Oh, don't worry, I'm not arguing about anything, I'm just making a point.

He got injured, had a surgery, came back, got to #15, and got injured again. Had another surgery, then came back, and got to #8, and then, he got suspended. And now, he came back, and he's #21.

It wasn't just the doping ban. He came back from 3 wrist surgeries, and made it to the top15 every time.

tenniko
05-08-2007, 05:13 AM
Oh, don't worry, I'm not arguing about anything, I'm just making a point.

He got injured, had a surgery, came back, got to #15, and got injured again. Had another surgery, then came back, and got to #8, and then, he got suspended. And now, he came back, and he's #21.

It wasn't just the doping ban. He came back from 3 wrist surgeries, and made it to the top15 every time.

What kind of injuries did he have?

Andres
05-08-2007, 05:18 AM
Broke his wrist. He was 9 months away the 2000 surgery and 8 months the '03 surgery. Can't find any info about the off-time on his third surgery.

Andres
05-08-2007, 05:23 AM
Ahh, here:

In 2000 he had a wrist injury, and he was away four months. Later that year, he had a bad injury, also in his right wrist (a stress fracture). Had a surgery.
In 2003, he had another surgery (metacarpian ligament) in his right wrist.

tenniko
05-08-2007, 05:24 AM
Broke his wrist. He was 9 months away the 2000 surgery and 8 months the '03 surgery. Can't find any info about the off-time on his third surgery.

It's interesting to see that people who've had knee, abs, shoulder injuries don't comeback strong, but pros who've had injuries on the wrist (agassi, canas) seem to comeback strong.

Andres
05-08-2007, 05:27 AM
But isn't the wrist what is making Clijsters retire?

Gugafan_Redux
05-08-2007, 06:40 AM
As for gauging the ability to come back from Guga's particular injury, the hip flexor, the only precedent I know of is Magnus Norman -- and after his hip surgery he vanished faster than Roddick in a clay court draw.

Bad sign for dear Guga.
:-(

For those not familiar with his game, check out the YouTube clips of Guga vs. Sampras in Miami. No, hard court was not his best surface, but the match is tense and high-quality, and there's four ten-minute clips.

Montana Realty
05-08-2007, 07:37 AM
I'm a huge Guga fan myself and thought I would give you guys some definitive information from the horses mouth. I ran into Guga at the supermarket one night during the Indian Wells tournament in March. I spoke to him for a few minutes and he told me that his hip is doing really good and he will play a full schedule this year. Guga is a great guy. It was kind of funny, Guga was checking out some movies at the check stand and asked the check, "how much is this'? Kind of funny coming from a millionare.

aramis
05-08-2007, 08:12 AM
I'm a huge Guga fan myself and thought I would give you guys some definitive information from the horses mouth. I ran into Guga at the supermarket one night during the Indian Wells tournament in March. I spoke to him for a few minutes and he told me that his hip is doing really good and he will play a full schedule this year. Guga is a great guy. It was kind of funny, Guga was checking out some movies at the check stand and asked the check, "how much is this'? Kind of funny coming from a millionare.

His hip may not cause any pain nowadays, but it seems he's lost about 25% of his flexibility because of the surgeries. Let's not forget that this guy was THE elastic man. Very cool experience though, running into a guy like Guga at the supermarket.

Tchocky
05-08-2007, 08:17 AM
I saw him in Las Vegas and he looked absolutely dreadful. It would be a mistake for Roland Garros to give him a Wild Card as he would most likely lose to whomever he played in the 1st round.

Gugarocks
05-08-2007, 08:41 AM
My best memory of Guga was when he was almost eliminated by an unseeded player in the French Open. He was down 2 sets to love, took the third in the tiebreak, won the match in 5 sets and than he drew the heart on center court. It was the best feeling I ever had. So many emotions... Later on he won the tournament.
Most of you remember it but I added a link where you can see it again. It still gives me goosebumps after all these years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5TjMfC2R28

I consider him the best claycourt player ever. He had all the shots, specially his backhand. He could make unbelievable angles with it. I also like his service ( first and second ) a lot. Too bad he had the injuries and sometimes a lack of motivation, but I don't blame him for looking on the bright side of life. I think he could have won more titles than he already has.

I don't see him winning a lot of matches anymore. I hope he will play the French Open in a few weeks. I don't care if he loses 6/0 6/0 6/0. I hope he can say goodbye on the center court, and draw the heart for a last time. It would be a nice goodbye for all of his fans. He's already 30 I guess, I think it would be a good decision for him to quit after Roland Garros, or maybe next year.

Gugarocks
05-08-2007, 08:43 AM
I saw him in Las Vegas and he looked absolutely dreadful. It would be a mistake for Roland Garros to give him a Wild Card as he would most likely lose to whomever he played in the 1st round.

I don't agree. I don't see him winning a match there, but it would be disrespectful to make him skip the tournament and let him say goodbye in some kind of ITF tournament of the Bahamas .. There are too many fans and too many memories involved

Gugafan_Redux
05-08-2007, 09:23 AM

Awesome! Reminds of the Ginsburg poem, "A Supermarket in California."

I saw you, Walt Whitman, childless, lonely old grubber,
poking among the meats in the refrigerator and eyeing the grocery boys.

I heard you asking questions of each: Who killed the
pork chops? What price bananas? Are you my Angel?

I wandered in and out of the brilliant stacks of cans
following you, and followed in my imagination by the store
detective.

We strode down the open corridors together in our
solitary fancy tasting artichokes, possessing every frozen
delicacy, and never passing the cashier.

Deuce
05-08-2007, 09:01 PM
My best memory of Guga was when he was almost eliminated by an unseeded player in the French Open. He was down 2 sets to love, took the third in the tiebreak, won the match in 5 sets and than he drew the heart on center court. It was the best feeling I ever had. So many emotions... Later on he won the tournament.
Most of you remember it but I added a link where you can see it again. It still gives me goosebumps after all these years.

That was Michael Russell, wasn't it?

(I'm going by memory - I don't do 'You Tube'.)

stormholloway
05-08-2007, 09:04 PM

Very funny.

Though I will say Deuce, I got an i.prestige on your recommendation (a leap I know) and it's the best racquet I've ever hit with. Kudos.

Gugarocks
05-08-2007, 11:30 PM
That was Michael Russell, wasn't it?

(I'm going by memory - I don't do 'You Tube'.)

Yup, it was him

tenniko
05-09-2007, 12:33 AM
But isn't the wrist what is making Clijsters retire?

That's one of the many injuries that Clijsters suffered over the years. She had hip and leg injuries as well, and those are the ones that take toll on the players the most (with rehab and such).

No doubt that wrist injuries are serious to tennis pros, but the injuries on the core and the legs kill them.

johnny ballgame
05-09-2007, 10:49 AM
It would be a mistake for Roland Garros to give him a Wild Card...

You have got to be joking. It would be mistake to invite one of the most popular players in the history of the game to attend a tournament where he enjoyed his finest moments?

!Tym
05-09-2007, 12:12 PM
That's one of the many injuries that Clijsters suffered over the years. She had hip and leg injuries as well, and those are the ones that take toll on the players the most (with rehab and such).

No doubt that wrist injuries are serious to tennis pros, but the injuries on the core and the legs kill them.

AND shoulders, for serving. Definitely, think legs and shoulder problems are the worse to have for a pro athlete.