PDA

View Full Version : Changing from PD+?

rscottdds
05-07-2007, 08:59 AM
My son has been playing with a PD+ for his whole tennis career. He started late (at 13) and is now 16. He changed from the original to the cortex when it came out. He can serve bombs with the thing and has a good overall game, however he feels he needs more control. Hes been playing around with different strings with some success, and has started to tight to get more control but then his serve lacks a bit of power.

Hes demoed a few racquets but keeps coming back to the PD+. Is there something that plays very similar to the PD+ but has a bit more control? Should he try the standard instead of the +? Would the PDR help any? Any other suggestions? BTW hes around 6 tall and growing.

-Robert

rosenstar
05-07-2007, 09:16 AM
try either the Pure Drive Roddick + or the Pure Control +. Both of these racquets are babolat frames that are essentially a heavier version of the pure drive +. Both of these come in a standard length if you don't want extra half inch. If you want to switch to a frame with less power than you need to shop around a little more because there's a much larger variety of racquets.

just wondering, whats your son's style and level of play?

It sounds like your son's a pretty big kid. Most tall players use very low powered racquets. Smaller people like myself tend to use more powerful racquets. this is by no means a rule or guideline when buying a racquet, just a common trend. I'd recommend you demo as many racquets as possible and pick which ever one he likes.

rscottdds
05-07-2007, 09:48 AM
He's tall and skinny like dad. He played varsity doubles the last two years but the coach said he will probably be playing #1 singles next year. SW forehand, two handed backhand. Even though he started late he's made up for it with playing as much as possible and getting private lessons at least once a week. He plays a lot of tournament and has won some satellites.
-Robert

rscottdds
05-07-2007, 11:53 AM
How does the standard play compared to the +? And how would the heavier Rodick play compared to the PD+? Any other suggestions on specific racquets? I know we will have to demo a bunch more racquets but want to weed some out right away if possible.
-Robert

rscottdds
05-07-2007, 08:11 PM
Anyone?
-Robert

drakulie
05-07-2007, 08:29 PM
I see many kids around your sons age who have switched to the Head Prestige from the Babolats.

dylo
05-07-2007, 09:30 PM
a standard racquet will always hav more control, less power, less spin, and more manuverability than an extended length. the roddick is like the PDs but heavier and more stable.

the flexpoint prestige looks like a good candidate but its going to hav alittle less spin because of the denser string bed. add the nsix-one/ksix-1 95 and ksix1 95X to the demo list

Micky
05-07-2007, 09:55 PM
My son has been playing with a PD+ for his whole tennis career. He started late (at 13) and is now 16. He changed from the original to the cortex when it came out. He can serve bombs with the thing and has a good overall game, however he feels he needs more control. Hes been playing around with different strings with some success, and has started to tight to get more control but then his serve lacks a bit of power.

Hes demoed a few racquets but keeps coming back to the PD+. Is there something that plays very similar to the PD+ but has a bit more control? Should he try the standard instead of the +? Would the PDR help any? Any other suggestions? BTW hes around 6 tall and growing.

-Robert

Hola Robert,

I have the PD+ Cortex and have experienced just the opposite. I add two pounds to my racquets and my serves are killers. I did go down in tension looking for more dwell time. Only because my return of serve was not that good. I now know that it was due to my technique. I will go back to adding those two psig and I am sure I will be megahappy, (I did increase the tension a couple of weeks ago but the stringers machine is not ok, I have to restring them again). Take care.

rscottdds
05-08-2007, 07:28 AM
Thanks! I'll get him the Head and Wilson demos. He did string an original (non cortex) PD+ with ProSupex Priemier Ace at 57 and played with it yesterday and was really happy with it although the serve is again a bit less powerfull. He's thinking of dropping the tennsion 2 lbs and that might do the trick. Any other thoughts?
-Robert

rscottdds
05-08-2007, 09:19 AM
a standard racquet will always hav more control, less power, less spin, and more manuverability than an extended length. the roddick is like the PDs but heavier and more stable.

How much difference can 1/2 an inch make as far as power and control? I'd really like him to stick with the PD because he's done so much experimenting with strings and don't want him to have to start all over on a totally different racquet.
-Robert

rosenstar
05-08-2007, 04:32 PM
the half inch makes it sooo much more manuverable. if you find a PD standard length and play with it, it'll be a obvious difference.

after your son demos the raqcuets tell us what he liked and didn't like.

dylo
05-08-2007, 05:07 PM
yes, every inch makes a difference just as every sq.inch (headsize) makes a difference. if u notice on the specs, the extra inch for the PD (w/out cortex) raises the swingweight from 323 to 335.

dylo
05-08-2007, 05:07 PM
power isnt really an issue because extended lengths will hav more spin to counter that