PDA

View Full Version : best BH (2 or 1H) vs. top forehands

grizzly4life
05-07-2007, 09:11 AM
curious where people would place the top 2HB and 1HB vs. the top forehands.

would people put the safin 2HB and/or gasquet 1HB at same level as the 50th best forehand?.... i'm thinking NO, as forehand has so much more freedom (esp. vs. 2HB) and is so easy to hit.

basically, i'm playing with my off-hand and wondering up to what level i could hit 1H forehand off each side. (and obviously volleys i'd be hitting backhands)....

i remember some people had mentioned regional champs at maybe 4.5 level playing forehands off each side... surprised it works at that high a level...

thanks in advance!! EDIT: now that i look at, i think this would have been better in tennis tips.

YonexDude
05-07-2007, 11:49 AM
you're wrong. gasquet's backhand is better than some pro's forehands. many pros avoid his backhand like the plague. it's better than his own forehand and he's in the top 50...

Alexandros
05-07-2007, 04:18 PM
Yeah, Gasquet is the only pro that I can think of that can hit his backhand like a forehand. He actually hits outright winners off that side on a regular basis. It's curious that a lot of the time he is content to rally off that side with high loopy balls when I've seen him quite capably step forward, take it early and rip cross court or down the line winners.

NamRanger
05-07-2007, 04:30 PM
Even Nadal avoids Gasquet's backhand on clay, that tells you how good it really is.

tricky
05-07-2007, 05:05 PM
It's curious that a lot of the time he is content to rally off that side with high loopy balls when I've seen him quite capably step forward, take it early and rip cross court or down the line winners.

Yeah, but rally consistency is the inherent problem with the 1H BH. Gasquet prefers to use all that racquet speed to hit heavy shots until he can reasonably go for a winner. Of course, "going for the winner" seems also a problem with Gasquet. Even with him, it's not easy for him to dictate the rally through his BH wing.

grizzly4life
05-07-2007, 07:47 PM
guys, thanks for the responses!!

one thing i've noticed with 1HB is alot of guys (at much lower level than ATP) take forever to set it up, whereas forehand you can basically do it instantaneously.

theballboy
05-08-2007, 06:14 AM
Even Nadal avoids Gasquet's backhand on clay, that tells you how good it really is.

Gasquet's FH is complete crap. I'd aim for his FH over his backhand too.

root
05-13-2007, 11:15 AM
At times, Gaudio seemed much more confident on backhand side than on forehand side.

chris1992
05-13-2007, 12:31 PM
Nalbandian is more confident on his b/hand than his forehand.

Bjorn99
05-13-2007, 01:04 PM
Difficult to make the switch with two forehands.