PDA

View Full Version : Wilson Ntour vs Ntour 2

Michelle
05-07-2007, 12:01 PM
I am thinking about try both of these. I don't see many difference between the specs. Anyone have experiences with both? What did you feel that was different?

fgs
05-07-2007, 11:58 PM
with the ntour2 you get slightly more power and control. in my opinion it is not worth to go for the ntour 2 currently, but buy for the same (or almost same) amount of money two ntours.

tarkowski
05-08-2007, 11:00 AM
My wife currently plays the nTour and after demoing, really wants the version 2. So I tried it as well to see if it would be worth the cost. It is a bit different - and IMO, better across the board. It swings easier (nTour seemed better at baseline where this seems to be a better all-courter) and has a more comfortable response (less vibration). The nTour can exhibit a 'ping'-type sound with some types of strings, even with a dampener. The nTour 2 doesn't exhibit this at all and feels comfortable and rock-solid. I can't put a price premium on the version 2 for you - but if I were looking at each stick today, I'd get the nTour2.

CliffH
05-08-2007, 03:45 PM
hey Tarkowski,

I am looking for a s/v wilson stick with better feel than the 6.1 and value your opinion, I will try the ntour2 and the nblade hoping they have a ktour2 coming or Kblade. Any word on other wilson sticks? thanks cliff

tarkowski
05-08-2007, 04:04 PM
hey Tarkowski,

I am looking for a s/v wilson stick with better feel than the 6.1 and value your opinion, I will try the ntour2 and the nblade hoping they have a ktour2 coming or Kblade. Any word on other wilson sticks? thanks cliff

Hi CliffH,

Sure - there are so many to choose from these days!

Sticking with Wilson (from your request), I do prefer the 6.1 for volleys over the others in the line-up due to heft. You just can't beat that no-fear feeling at the net when you are holding something heavy.

The n61 95 may not have the best feedback, but I've always had my best results with it. I haven't demoed any of the new K-series racquets with the exception of the K90 and K61 Team, the former of which I bought and am now using.

Not knowing how heavy\light large\small you want to go, here are my reccomendations for demo:
- the nTour 2 and nBlade as you are doing
- the nPro Open (it's faster-swinging than the Surge, better power\control ratio, and very comfortable for it's weight)
- and the K61 Team (really great feel, fast, good power\control ratio - and excellent to customize).
- The KSurge - I haven't played with it, but there have been a few posts that indicate it betters the nPro Open, even though (or pehaps because) it is lighter

I am an all-courter that comes to net as much as I can, but I am not a strict S&V player. I play 1HBH which is one of my strenghts, along with return-of-serve. I prefer the higher swingweights of the 61 series, and as a result, like the nTour 2 a little better than the nPro Open and 61 team for my style of play. Even though the 61 team and nTour 2 have fairly close specs, for its weight, the nTour 2 swung a little heavier and provided a little more stability.

If you play 2HBH and love to swing hard, the nPro Open would be quite nice. I found the only area really lacking for me was enough mass for my 1HBH. I prepare early, let it rip, and like the racquet to do a bit of the work. With the nPro Open, I pretty much had to change my motion to keep the momentum up throughout the entire stroke. And though my elbow didn't hurt, I could feel it more in that area. With 2HBH, that wouldn't be as much of an issue - I think.

Finally, regarding the nTour vs. the nTour 2 - I can't be certain whether they are that differnt, or it is Wilson's lack of quality control coming into the picture. But the nTour my wife owns has a very healthy swingweight, enough to make it a little tough at net. The nTour 2 I playtested, by contrast, was very mobile and enjoyable - much more than the nTour. I know they added some foam - which may account for the more solid and comfortable respose. But the swingweight was noticeably more balanced and preferable at net. If this is how nTour 2 is 'supposed' to be, than I recommend it even more so than the original. But it may also be quality control - in which case, demo as many as you can and pick your favorite.

Good luck! Have some fun with the demos.

fgs
05-08-2007, 04:28 PM
there are no ktour or kblades scheduled earlier than late 2008 (the 2008 catalogue presented in vegas in february shows the nblade and the ntour2 as we know them).
the k/n 6.1 95 would be ideal for s&v due to the higher static weight and hl-balance. the blade can be more difficult to swing around at the net due to its higher swingweight, so it all depends on personal abilities. the ntour2 could be a little bit too light for playing a properly controlled volley off a fast shot. yes, the ntour2 is slightly different from the ntour, it's not only the "nfoam" but also the balance they slightly changed, which is not to say that there can't be any quality control issues.
so, in the end it comes down to personal preference and also on the level of play, in the sense of how many fast shots you will be exposed to. if the average speed is rather high, you might want a slightly heavier racquet, an issue that can be also addressed by the means of lead tape.

40Love
05-08-2007, 07:03 PM
I have been playing the N Tours since introduction. The original N Tour does not dampen as well as the 2. With some strings the feedback on off center hits can be quite harsh. I broke my N Tours and Wilson sent me two of the N Tour 2. I really recommend it over the earlier version. Its a much better all court racket. I don't like a lot of feedback (played Triads for a few seasons) so you can flavor these comments accordingly. Only issue with the N Tour 2 seems to be the grommet strips. I have replaced them on both of my sticks.

juniorwayne08
05-09-2007, 06:58 AM
Although I may be the only one, I like the nTour more than the nTour 2. I played both of them with same strings at the same tensions and I still liked the nTour better. The Tour2 just doesnt have the same feel as the nTour, like its slightly more dead feeling. Although that may sound picky, I go with the nTour.