PDA

View Full Version : Racquet Face Opening

Owfred
05-07-2007, 03:03 PM
Hi,

On my forehand, I think my racquet face occasionally opens on contact, making my balls sail long. Most of my shots are acceptable when I am in a baseline rally, but whenever the balls become slow or bounce up high, I hit them and the ball flies high and has much less topspin than I expect. I believe this is due to the fact that I unconciously open my racquet face. Most of my shots on these slower, high bouncing balls tend to land really close to the baseline, and I have trouble hitting them shorter for more margin of error.

What is the best way to work on keeping the racquet face perpendicular/closed on contact? Should I take a look at my takeback?

Thankyou

ferocious4hand
05-07-2007, 03:15 PM
try wrist-assist, it trains you to hit at opitmal angle every time thus elimates opening up your racquet face

The_1337
05-07-2007, 03:47 PM
i usually look over at my racquet. i would also try looking at the racquet when there is no ball and just swinging until you can close the face without thinking.

fuzz nation
05-07-2007, 07:24 PM
My similar forehand malady happens when I pull myself up and out of the stroke as I swing. It's as if I'm trying to make topspin by lifting my chest, but it also lifts the racquet face. I need to stay down and drive myself forward through the shot, but I also need to make contact out front where the racquet is in the low-to-high portion of its motion.

A higher bouncing ball requires me to take a higher backswing, but I still need to keep my chest from pointing up at the sky as I swing. I usually need to take my grip a little beyond an eastern grip, too so that the racquet face doesn't open. It's a small leap of faith, but you might find the right grip for that shot if you go a little more toward western when you practice and swing comfortably at that higher ball.

10s talk
05-07-2007, 07:37 PM
try a closed backswing (palm down)