PDA

View Full Version : putting on grommet set

abenguyen
05-07-2007, 02:10 PM
so im putting on a new grommet set for my friend before i string his racquet. i was able to put the two sides on but im having trouble with putting the last top piece on? how do i do it?

mclee025
05-07-2007, 02:25 PM
You need to get an awl to "work" the grommet into place. Be careful not to jab yourself since the awl is pretty sharp.

If that doesn't work, you might try some heat on the grommet to soften it up first. That allows the grommet to stretch easier making it easier to guide into place. A heat gun or a hair dryer could do the trick especially since you only have two grommets to soften up.

If that fails, pull the whole thing off and pop it into some slow boiling water for about five minutes making sure to keep the grommet off any hot spots on the pot to keep it from melting. After the grommet is soft, it should go in much easier. Take care not to burn yourself on the water.

anirut
05-07-2007, 05:26 PM
I don't know if new grommets are difficult, but I've removed my Redondo grommets and placed them back on.

For the difficult-to-insert ones I use old string strip. Tie a knot at one end and insert it through the grommet and use that strip as a guide by pulling it as required.

abenguyen
05-07-2007, 07:45 PM
You need to get an awl to "work" the grommet into place. Be careful not to jab yourself since the awl is pretty sharp.

If that doesn't work, you might try some heat on the grommet to soften it up first. That allows the grommet to stretch easier making it easier to guide into place. A heat gun or a hair dryer could do the trick especially since you only have two grommets to soften up.

If that fails, pull the whole thing off and pop it into some slow boiling water for about five minutes making sure to keep the grommet off any hot spots on the pot to keep it from melting. After the grommet is soft, it should go in much easier. Take care not to burn yourself on the water.

i used the awl and it worked fine. thanks. took me a while to get it to stick so i could string it but i figured it out. messed up the first time thought by not mounting tight enough and i lost 10 feet of string so i get to use half as experimental!