PDA

View Full Version : Can't find the right racquet

syko735
05-07-2007, 04:37 PM
So I've been playing with the RDS002 Tour, and things haven't been clicking for me. Tried placing lead on 3&9, but it wasn't any better. Played with the LM instinct today, and I liked it, but I wasn't able to produce enough spin with it. Do you guys have any suggestions for someone who uses a 2hbh, sw forehand, and likes to spin the ball? Something similar to the instinct with a more open pattern.

phucng_10
05-07-2007, 05:29 PM
Actually its not the racquet. It's the way you're playing your game. You have to get the correct grips, meaning for baseline and you want to topspin, you need to know the Western Grip. Volley, Continental Grip. It takes awhile to remember it, but once you know it, you'll achieve more. Just keep practicing, right now, the strings on my n6.1 95 are kind of messed up. A friend of mines that strung it, made it loose, or I think its true that Gosen Polylon's lose tension easily. I'm going to try the Luxilon Alu BB Power and see how that goes. Just play with your Yonex or Head, but only play with one. Switching your racquets too many times between play, will not let you go anywhere in tennis.

dylo
05-07-2007, 09:38 PM
what specifically did u find wrong with ur rds002 tour?

tenniko
05-07-2007, 09:44 PM
So I've been playing with the RDS002 Tour, and things haven't been clicking for me. Tried placing lead on 3&9, but it wasn't any better. Played with the LM instinct today, and I liked it, but I wasn't able to produce enough spin with it. Do you guys have any suggestions for someone who uses a 2hbh, sw forehand, and likes to spin the ball? Something similar to the instinct with a more open pattern.

Try Prince (POG, Diablo Tour, O3 Tour). They will give you a lot of spin (open pattern).

syko735
05-07-2007, 10:12 PM
Well, groundstrokes (forehand in particular) were fine with the RDS002. I failed in serves and backhands though, where I couldn't do much with any. It just felt like the racquet wasn't right for me though

phucng_10
05-07-2007, 10:23 PM
Well, groundstrokes (forehand in particular) were fine with the RDS002. I failed in serves and backhands though, where I couldn't do much with any. It just felt like the racquet wasn't right for me though

Backhand is way more complicated then the 2hand backhand. Have you even tried the 2hand backhand? If you haven't take it into consideration that a 2hand backhand gives you better control of the ball.

counterpuncher
05-07-2007, 11:13 PM
I think that the RDS002 (non-tour) or the RDS003 would be closer to the Instinct, so you could try those in the Yonex line.

Others worth considering which would be similar to the Instinct with more spin would be the: Prince O3 White, Volkl DNX 8, Babolat Pure Storm and the Fischer Magnetic Tour 100 (UL).

BigGriff
05-07-2007, 11:15 PM
You might want to give the Babolat APD or PD a try.

fuzz nation
05-08-2007, 06:23 AM
If my sole mission on the court was to roam the baseline and rip off big strokes with spin, I know of nothing that generates rpm's off the ground better for me than the Flexpoint Radical Tour. If you're getting demos together, you might consider that one. I wasn't extremely successful with the demo at the net or serving (I do a lot of all court/S&V/doubles), but I still secretly want one.

saqdeez
05-08-2007, 06:42 AM
Backhand is way more complicated then the 2hand backhand. Have you even tried the 2hand backhand? If you haven't take it into consideration that a 2hand backhand gives you better control of the ball.

You are completely wrong on several accounts if you are referring to 1hbh vs 2hbh here.

JediMindTrick
05-08-2007, 06:43 AM
If you liked the Instinct but you you didn't get enough spin then you should try racquets similar with Instinct but with an open string pattern. Try RDS 003, RDS 002 (non Tour), Pure Drive, Pure Storm, APD, Prince O3 White, Volkl DNX 8. These are all Pure Drive class racquets.

grass_hopper
05-08-2007, 11:36 AM
Head's extreme pro is NOW the king of spin city.

Anton
05-08-2007, 12:56 PM
Actually its not the racquet. It's the way you're playing your game. You have to get the correct grips, meaning for baseline and you want to topspin, you need to know the Western Grip.

Huh? what about Eastern grip?

Anton
05-08-2007, 12:59 PM

How long have you been playing? your level?

It sounds like the issue is the technique rather then the racket. Though you might do better with a lighter racket.

phucng_10
05-08-2007, 03:06 PM
Huh? what about Eastern grip?

Well, I've never experience the Eastern Grip. I usually use the Eastern Grip for my slices, but not for topspin. Do people actually use the Eastern Grip for topspins? :confused:

fujitsu77
05-08-2007, 03:19 PM
Head's extreme pro is NOW the king of spin city.

I agree w/ this ;)

Anton
05-08-2007, 03:38 PM
Well, I've never experience the Eastern Grip. I usually use the Eastern Grip for my slices, but not for topspin. Do people actually use the Eastern Grip for topspins? :confused:

Well characteristically western grip produces less forward speed and more spin so it would probably be preferable to use more powerful rackets.

Eastern grip is better for heavier and less powerful rackets I think as it puts less strain on the wrist,

But to answer your question, both grips can produce plenty of spin - it's more of a personal preference.

But as far as slice goes Continental is the proper grip (though some instructors like to teach eastern to beginners and then reteach to continental :confused: ). Eastern feels more natural because you intuitively are trying to "scoop up" the ball during the motion. This intuition is however dead wrong, no scooping is necessary due to face of the racket already deflecting the ball for upward component of the motion - all that is needed is a clean straight cut from up by the shoulder down to the floor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAWzQzdLZoI

PED
05-08-2007, 06:49 PM
Federer gets pretty good topspin with an SW and not a full western.....