PDA

View Full Version : Yet another serve video-

bgivens33
05-07-2007, 06:58 PM
Tell me what you guys think. I'm having a problem with consistency and that set right there was above average. I would probably put my max speed @ 85ish and play at a 3.5. I'm trying to breach that intermediate level and would like to start getting a bit more serious. Any thoughts??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZg7U0mwYuM

dacrymn
05-07-2007, 07:01 PM
You're definitely not getting enough shoulder rotation. You hit it way too early into your turn. And plus, it just looks kind of unsmooth. Just loosen up and smooth out your swing. Try bending your knees more as well.
________
Ford Sierra picture (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_Sierra)

LarougeNY
05-07-2007, 07:07 PM
Do you use continental? That could be a reason for the non-fluid motion. Serves should be effortless, but those looked somewhat forced. You should also bend your knees a little more, and really reach up to hit the ball-extend your arm fully.
Other than that, nice serves :)

shindemac
05-07-2007, 07:33 PM
No rhythm, looks forced, frying pan. Looks like you're just trying to whack the ball as hard as possible. Like others said, effortless.

cam2
05-07-2007, 09:37 PM
I don't have enough time to look at it thoroughly right now but one thing I did notice was your tossing arm curls across your body during the swing instead of getting tucked in at your side. Fixing that will help your power and fluidity.

jasoncho92
05-07-2007, 09:44 PM
Toss is really inconsistent and that doesnt look like an 85 serve

Solat
05-07-2007, 10:25 PM
go to hitech tennis (jcos site) or possibly even search here and hunt around for "waiter position" thats your biggest downfall imo

oldhacker
05-08-2007, 02:05 AM
Your serve is incredibly similar to my 'old' serve which I am trying to improve at present. That serve maxed at at 85-90mph for me. Here are the areas I am working on improving on my serve which I think are also relevant to yours:

1. Take back - you do exactly the same thing I am trying to get away from. That is you take your racquet back pretty low and round the back of your body. It never reaches a high 'trophy position' from which to start your drive towards the ball. I have been working on slowing down my takeback,
getting my elbow higher with about a 90 degree angles between my upper arm and forearm, and fully supinating (rotating palm up) my wrist in order that I can get maximum pronation through impact. You can get a feel for this by practicing serving with your racquet arm starting in this position.

[I would add on this one that most players reach a trophy position with the tip of their racquet pointing skywards and then drop the racquet from there. I struggle with this as it feels odd to me and means I still have to remeber to fully lay back and supinate the wrist and have found that I get better racquet head drop by having my wrist supinated and laid back in the trophy position so that I am holding the racquet much as a javelin thrower would hold a javalin in his windup. I would be interested in the views of others on this.]

2. Ball toss - like me I think you are tossing it too close to you are so a lot of your rotation and forward momentum is happening after you hit the ball and so not adding to you serve which is probably why you appear to be forcing it a bit. Try tossing it further out in front (so it would land a racquet's length from the baseline) and really drive and extend out to get it. Feels odd to start with and quite a few balls will bounce your side of the net but once you get a feel for it it is amazing how much smoother and more powerful serving becomes without the need to force it.

3. Following on from (1) above you want to get maximum pronation and extension so really concentrate on the forearm rotation which brings your hand from palm up (supinated) to plam down (pronated) through your swing and extend your arm out into the court.

Good luck !

Tell me what you guys think. I'm having a problem with consistency and that set right there was above average. I would probably put my max speed @ 85ish and play at a 3.5. I'm trying to breach that intermediate level and would like to start getting a bit more serious. Any thoughts??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZg7U0mwYuM

ps60
05-08-2007, 05:35 AM
nothing Too wrong :D

i heard very clean sound of ball hitting. must be strung quite tight. So u must be able to hit very clean and near the centre most of the time. The last one was poorer.

1. have u looked at where u want to hit (your target) ?
2. Could u turn a bit sideway more. (it is not necessary, but most ppl do)

Nothing more i can say

bgivens33
05-08-2007, 08:29 AM
wow, great advice... thanks to everyone. I'll be posting an update in a couple of weeks.

Matt_MS
05-08-2007, 05:48 PM
As previously stated, it doesn't look like you're in any rythym (sp?). I had the same problem until my coach helped me. After that I started bouncing my knees before I served (I start with both legs together) and when I throw it I am almost going in the opposite direction to push off of my feet. Since I've been doing that I've been hitting upper 90 serves, 1 hoppers to the net. My kicker has also gotten better, but I attribute that to putting more top spin on it, rather than just spinning it.

p0w3r
05-08-2007, 06:32 PM
one problem that i had was that my palm was facing up during takeback...and i can see you have the same problem. if you look at a pro sreve, they always have thier palm facing forward and the racquet pointing up...its kinda hard to exaplain but heres a picture: http://federer80.sport24.com/images/mn/1142360410.jpg

i find that fixing this will help your motion be more fluid and more consistant.

edit: oh but remember that once you swing, dont stiffen up your wrist and just hit forward, you should still let the racquet drop behind you so you can get a full swing.

jasoncho92
05-08-2007, 07:21 PM
one problem that i had was that my palm was facing up during takeback...and i can see you have the same problem. if you look at a pro sreve, they always have thier palm facing forward and the racquet pointing up...its kinda hard to exaplain but heres a picture: http://federer80.sport24.com/images/mn/1142360410.jpg

i find that fixing this will help your motion be more fluid and more consistant.

edit: oh but remember that once you swing, dont stiffen up your wrist and just hit forward, you should still let the racquet drop behind you so you can get a full swing.
Called the trophy stance

z-money
05-08-2007, 07:28 PM
Do you use continental? That could be a reason for the non-fluid motion. Serves should be effortless, but those looked somewhat forced. You should also bend your knees a little more, and really reach up to hit the ball-extend your arm fully.
Other than that, nice serves :)

i agree it looked like the grip was off! And that comes first in any stroke.

z-money
05-08-2007, 07:28 PM
Called the trophy stance

thats the classic way and thats what i teach

shojun25
05-08-2007, 07:47 PM
keep your head up when you're serving. you look so depressed and gloomy in the vids ;)

master935
05-08-2007, 09:46 PM
YOU, take the racquet back to where you are ready to swing and then just go strait into the ball. The way that you are supposed to do it is, take the racquet back so that it is pointing almost strait up in the air with your arm bent so your bicep would be pretty much flat, and you start your swing by dropping the racquet head in the direction that your back is facing. The best way to fix a problem like this is to take a tennis ball and throw it, just like you would serve. and then take another tennis ball and throw it as far as you can. the second throw should be done normally, not like your serve. The other way to find out how to do it right would be to go on youtude and find some vids of pros serving in slow motion.

Hope this helps
Ben

zapvor
05-08-2007, 10:05 PM
it looks decent. i think the other posters have said it all pretty much. i dont even have a serve yet, so i cant critique anyways lol