PDA

View Full Version : Playing doubles has made Nadal a "better" player

simi
05-08-2007, 09:17 AM
Having watched the youngster develop through his career, he has become a more, well-rounded, "all court" player since he started playing doubles. It wasn't all that long ago when his net game was a real liability and weakness. These days, with his net work and continued improvement in his service game, he has become a better tennis player . . . if that was even possible. Right now, in the first set, he and Carlos, are more than holding their own against a very good doubles team, a team that "specializes" in doubles. Good on ya, Rafa, for working on improving your game. Looking forward to more Federer/Nadal battles on surfaces other than clay.

p.s. I'm more of a Fed fanboy, but have to admire Nadal's willingness to address the weaknesses in his game and the dedication he invests to improve and become a better player.

gugarafa
05-08-2007, 10:25 PM
dont think so infact it worries me that he has not taken a break after montecarlo yet he is in the doubles as well as singles competition in Rome he might get burned out by the time he gets toRG

tennis_hand
05-08-2007, 10:30 PM
he might withdraw from Hamburg.

Fedace
05-08-2007, 10:56 PM
he might withdraw from Hamburg.

He should definitely withdraw from hamburg if he wins the italian open since he does not need anymore preparation. and i will bet my house that if rafa played more doubles, he can easily be top 5 doubles player in the world. the way he was poaching at net was just incredible. He is so quick at net that he can get within 0.5 inch of the net with just 1 step.

Nadal_Freak
05-08-2007, 11:09 PM
dont think so infact it worries me that he has not taken a break after montecarlo yet he is in the doubles as well as singles competition in Rome he might get burned out by the time he gets toRG
It didn't bother him 2 years ago when he played a lot of tournaments before RG. I don't see it bothering him now.

PrinceO3TourOS
05-08-2007, 11:19 PM
Playing doubles has made Nadal a "better" player?
My answer is 'yes' because doubles improves net play and volleys, that's simple :lol: C'mon Rafa, play more doubles matchs! :D

thu_huong
05-09-2007, 01:12 AM
He should definitely withdraw from hamburg if he wins the italian open since he does not need anymore preparation. and i will bet my house that if rafa played more doubles, he can easily be top 5 doubles player in the world. the way he was poaching at net was just incredible. He is so quick at net that he can get within 0.5 inch of the net with just 1 step.

he surely will withdraw from hamburg

GOD_BLESS_RAFA
05-09-2007, 02:40 AM
Yes I am worried about his fitness too...I have heard him say he wants to play Hamburg as well

jackson vile
05-09-2007, 09:15 AM

IMO he is getting ready for grass right now, he is that good at clay.

Morrissey
05-09-2007, 09:46 AM
Having watched the youngster develop through his career, he has become a more, well-rounded, "all court" player since he started playing doubles. It wasn't all that long ago when his net game was a real liability and weakness. These days, with his net work and continued improvement in his service game, he has become a better tennis player . . . if that was even possible. Right now, in the first set, he and Carlos, are more than holding their own against a very good doubles team, a team that "specializes" in doubles. Good on ya, Rafa, for working on improving your game. Looking forward to more Federer/Nadal battles on surfaces other than clay.

p.s. I'm more of a Fed fanboy, but have to admire Nadal's willingness to address the weaknesses in his game and the dedication he invests to improve and become a better player.

First of all, if you are a Fed fanboy I give you tons of credit for even mentioning something positive. So I commend you there. I haven't been able to see his doubles matches so I can't say if he's improving there, but his results seem to say something, making the Barcelona final and beating Erlich and Ram here in Rome is actually a nice win. Let's see how much further he can go here in doubles. I guess because he's been winning in straight sets all the time he still have fuel to burn in doubles.

Morrissey
05-09-2007, 09:47 AM
Yes I am worried about his fitness too...I have heard him say he wants to play Hamburg as well

I assure you Nadal and Fed both won't play Hamburg, especially if they meet in the final.

janipyt05
05-09-2007, 11:33 AM
i agree with poster... doubles has given rafa more shot selection and given him better net game by a country mile compared to last year.

jackson vile
05-09-2007, 11:43 AM
i agree with poster... doubles has given rafa more shot selection and given him better net game by a country mile compared to last year.

last year is when he has more volleys and a higher percentage than even Roger.

The thing is that Nadal has always been great around the net but is indeed getting even better.

Nadal never had a 1 dimension game, and his success has proven that.

tricky
05-09-2007, 11:56 AM
The thing is that Nadal has always been great around the net but is indeed getting even better.

I think at last year's Wimbledon, Nadal had more approaches at the net than Federer over the court of the tournament. Still a baseliner sure, but Nadal obviously has aspirations to become an all-court player. His technique seems much better than Roddick, for example.

jackson vile
05-09-2007, 01:09 PM
I think at last year's Wimbledon, Nadal had more approaches at the net than Federer over the court of the tournament. Still a baseliner sure, but Nadal obviously has aspirations to become an all-court player. His technique seems much better than Roddick, for example.

Not only did Nadal come to the net more times but he average more points made there as well than Roger.

Wish I could be 1 dimensional like that LOL

tennisjunkiela
05-09-2007, 05:04 PM

agreed! nadal's volleying seems very natural and intuitive - reminds me of the way borg's volley facilitated him transitioning his game so easily from RG to Wimbledon.

in fact, nadal continues to improve his volleying, he will be a contender at some point to win a Wimbledon or two (probably when Fed retires though).

and yes, nadal's volleying is definitely better than roddick's volleying although, roddick's volleying has improved too!

edmondsm
05-09-2007, 05:07 PM

If he wants to win Hamburg than he should wait until next year and skip Rome. Back to back masters, on clay, in the run-up to a slam could be risky.

edmondsm
05-09-2007, 05:08 PM
Oh yeah, and his net game looks awesome now. At least from what I saw at Indian Wells.

Morrissey
05-09-2007, 05:22 PM
Oh yeah, and his net game looks awesome now. At least from what I saw at Indian Wells.

One thing Nadal has is soft hands at the net. He has nice touch on those drop volleys and obviously good feel to hit those excellent drop shots. Much better volleyer than Roddick, but he's not a good basis for comparison. That "gillette" drop slice volley he hit in the Monte Carlo final against Fed was f****g legend. That was nasty good. His overhead is as good as it gets, he's money on the overheads. The only one with as good an overhead smash is Roddick, IMO. But I really think Fed has made Nadal improve as a player. He set the bar so high that Nadal is constantly trying to reach that standard and in a way uses Fed as an inspiration for getting better and not staying stagnant. Yes, I threw Fed a bone. It's a full moon over here BTW. ;-)

gugarafa
05-09-2007, 09:57 PM
It didn't bother him 2 years ago when he played a lot of tournaments before RG. I don't see it bothering him now.

two years ago he wasn't as built and muscular as he is now and his game did not look tooo physical, he could be excused for wanting to win masters series tournaments.Now he is the #2 player he needs to be a little more wise.

Does he have points to defend in Hamburg?

Nadal_Freak
05-09-2007, 10:24 PM
two years ago he wasn't as built and muscular as he is now and his game did not look tooo physical, he could be excused for wanting to win masters series tournaments.Now he is the #2 player he needs to be a little more wise.

Does he have points to defend in Hamburg?
Nadal is a lot stronger now which allows him to finish points earlier. Also he is finishing the majority of his matches under an hour in a half. He didn't play Hamburg last year.