PDA

View Full Version : Donald Young's nice results.....

Jonas
05-08-2007, 12:47 PM
Saw where he crushed Sam Warburg yesterday 0 and 3.
I wonder if he has turned the corner. He isn't getting any younger you know :)
How old is DY now, 16-17?
I imiagine that he'll be a big factor on the main tour in the next year and a half.

TennezSport
05-08-2007, 02:05 PM
Donald is 17 and will turn 18 on July 23. This may just be what he needs to gain confidence. He definately has the skill and the hands. Better footwork and anticipation will help also. Wish him all the best

TennezSport :cool:

J-man
05-08-2007, 06:15 PM
A win like that over Warburg is pretty good. Keep up results like that he could make an impression

Phil
05-08-2007, 06:48 PM
Saw where he crushed Sam Warburg yesterday 0 and 3.
I wonder if he has turned the corner. He isn't getting any younger you know :)
How old is DY now, 16-17?
I imiagine that he'll be a big factor on the main tour in the next year and a half.

I don't think he'll be a "big factor on the main tour in the next year and a half." First you DY fetishists say, after he loses to yet another no-name "Give the kid time, he needs time-to grow, etc." Now that he's had ONE WIN (over WHO?), you've already slotted him in the Top 10 in the ATP during the next 12-18 mos. Talk about inflated expectations and complete HYPE. This is part of why the kid may not ever get anywhere. If he DOES, than I give him credit-for getting past his parents and the other hypeaholics in his "camp".

WestNott
05-08-2007, 07:10 PM
Donald Young is a real player. To beat Sam Warburg 0 and 3 is a great effort. Sam Warburg beat Joachim Johansson before, the big server. Not to mention, Donald Young is just now hitting puberty. I have seen him around some Futures recently and he has some scruff on his face. Everyone knows what a little masculine, testosterone does for your movement and overall game- it starts to take off. Donald Young is not a little boy anymore- he is becoming a man.

Jonas
05-08-2007, 07:12 PM
Respectfully, I don't see where anyone slotted him in the top 10 in the next year and a half. I think you can be a big factor on the tour and be top 30.
The guy gets slammed so hard by the regular "3.5 player" here on TW because he hasn't won a match on the main tour at 17, so when he gets hot and blows through a futures tournament, I believe he deserves a little bit of positive press.
He's still got a long way to go, but he is headed in the right direction.

Bogie
05-08-2007, 07:18 PM
Donald Young is a real player. To beat Sam Warburg 0 and 3 is a great effort. Sam Warburg beat Joachim Johansson before, the big server. Not to mention, Donald Young is just now hitting puberty. I have seen him around some Futures recently and he has some scruff on his face. Everyone knows what a little masculine, testosterone does for your movement and overall game- it starts to take off. Donald Young is not a little boy anymore- he is becoming a man.

sam beat j. johansson when pim-pim was about 25% healthy. that was his only match in 6 months after shoulder surgery, and immediately after that match he went on another 8 month hiatus and enduring another surgery along the way. you can't say that warburg would really beat pim-pim if he would be playing the way he was vs. roddick at the u.s. open quarters in 04 or vs. agassi at the aussie in 05. besides that, warburg has an always will be a journeyman. and what, just because young beat him, he's supposed to be the next best thing withing the next 1-2 years. just because young finally grew some pubes, doesn't qualify him for the next prodigy in my book

isuk@tennis
05-08-2007, 07:21 PM
Not to mention, Donald Young is just now hitting puberty.

talk about a late bloomer puberty usually begins at 12 for boys....he's what 6years behind?

Steve Dykstra
05-08-2007, 08:24 PM
Not to mention, Donald Young is just now hitting puberty.

What a ridiculous assertion. According to Men's Health (http://healthcare.utah.edu/healthinfo/adult/men/mladlsnt.htm), the beginning of puberty in boys is between the ages of 9.5 and 14. Donald Young is nearly 18...

Anyway, congrats to Young on a good win.

z-money
05-08-2007, 08:28 PM
sam querrey is a real player. i think this donald has a nice game but i get a vibe like he is the next vince spadea. who holds the record for consecutive first round losses

edberg505
05-08-2007, 08:32 PM
sam beat j. johansson when pim-pim was about 25% healthy. that was his only match in 6 months after shoulder surgery, and immediately after that match he went on another 8 month hiatus and enduring another surgery along the way. you can't say that warburg would really beat pim-pim if he would be playing the way he was vs. roddick at the u.s. open quarters in 04 or vs. agassi at the aussie in 05. besides that, warburg has an always will be a journeyman. and what, just because young beat him, he's supposed to be the next best thing withing the next 1-2 years. just because young finally grew some pubes, doesn't qualify him for the next prodigy in my book

LOL, Sam Warburg has only been on the tour 2 years. How does that make him a journeyman? Before that he played college tennis and was ranked #2 in the country.

z-money
05-08-2007, 08:35 PM
LOL, Sam Warburg has only been on the tour 2 years. How does that make him a journeyman? Before that he played college tennis and was ranked #2 in the country.

that is why Querrey is a stud. he has been on tour almost a full year and he is in the top 70 and climbing!

Bogie
05-08-2007, 09:32 PM

ok, he's 24 years old, ranking 200 in the world with a 2-3 career record in those 2 years and less than 100k in career earnings. compare with becker who turned pro the same year, ranked as high as 38, 21-24 career record and a little less than 400k in career earnings and wins over safin, agassi, volandri, grosjean, nieminen, and thomas johansson. played college tennis is the same years, quite a difference though.

Phil
05-08-2007, 09:41 PM
Respectfully, I don't see where anyone slotted him in the top 10 in the next year and a half. I think you can be a big factor on the tour and be top 30.
The guy gets slammed so hard by the regular "3.5 player" here on TW because he hasn't won a match on the main tour at 17, so when he gets hot and blows through a futures tournament, I believe he deserves a little bit of positive press.
He's still got a long way to go, but he is headed in the right direction.

No, Jonas, DY gets slammed on TW because people who follow tennis and who aren't necessarily his lover, are sick of the constant and obviously orchestrated hype campaign centered around this player. There is a campaign among some posters to elevate this kid into the pantheon of greats-it's been going on for a couple years now, and people are just sick of it.

No one posts a thread merely to slam DY-the negative comments are in response to the fawning and absurd love fests that pop up everytime the kid farts. Gimme a break. No one is out to get him, but the hype for an unproven player who has been rushed into the fray, pre-maturely I'd say, is downright sickening.

There are plenty of other players winning futures tournaments-and really, big deal, but...no one else receives such fanfare. Why? Because he's young? Because he's black? Those just aren't good reasons, to me. Empty hype is all it is, for now. Don't blame us "3.5'ers" for this-it's YOUR fault.

edberg505
05-08-2007, 10:09 PM
ok, he's 24 years old, ranking 200 in the world with a 2-3 career record in those 2 years and less than 100k in career earnings. compare with becker who turned pro the same year, ranked as high as 38, 21-24 career record and a little less than 400k in career earnings and wins over safin, agassi, volandri, grosjean, nieminen, and thomas johansson. played college tennis is the same years, quite a difference though.

Ok, that's quite true. Ben Becker's former team mate Benedikt Dorsch, who was #1 in the country at the same time Warburg was #2 hasn't exactly had stellar results himself at the pro level. And he turned pro the same year as B. Becker. Also those guys were playing pro tournaments before they got into college in Europe. I was just pointing out that he isn't exactly a journeyman. If that were the case you'd have to call Donald Young a journeyman because he turned pro in '04.

stormholloway
05-08-2007, 10:17 PM
Donald Young is not a little boy anymore- he is becoming a man.

Oh well, you'll have to go prowling for a new fixation then. Try school playgrounds.

SoBad
05-08-2007, 10:22 PM
Very solid player Donald Young, great lefty serve, tremendous ballstriker from the back of the court and very solid at the net. Good to see him starting to live up to his potential.

Steve Dykstra
05-09-2007, 06:22 AM
No, Jonas, DY gets slammed on TW because people who follow tennis and who aren't necessarily his lover, are sick of the constant and obviously orchestrated hype campaign centered around this player. There is a campaign among some posters to elevate this kid into the pantheon of greats-it's been going on for a couple years now, and people are just sick of it.

No one posts a thread merely to slam DY-the negative comments are in response to the fawning and absurd love fests that pop up everytime the kid farts. Gimme a break. No one is out to get him, but the hype for an unproven player who has been rushed into the fray, pre-maturely I'd say, is downright sickening.

There are plenty of other players winning futures tournaments-and really, big deal, but...no one else receives such fanfare. Why? Because he's young? Because he's black? Those just aren't good reasons, to me. Empty hype is all it is, for now. Don't blame us "3.5'ers" for this-it's YOUR fault.

Goog post.

Steve Dykstra
05-09-2007, 06:24 AM
Ok, that's quite true. Ben Becker's former team mate Benedikt Dorsch, who was #1 in the country at the same time Warburg was #2 hasn't exactly had stellar results himself at the pro level. And he turned pro the same year as B. Becker. Also those guys were playing pro tournaments before they got into college in Europe. I was just pointing out that he isn't exactly a journeyman. If that were the case you'd have to call Donald Young a journeyman because he turned pro in '04.

Unless he breaks into the top 50 at some point, he is a journeyman. College rankings are meaningless here.

WestNott
05-09-2007, 07:31 AM
Guys everyone improves at their own pace. Donald Young is practically still a boy who is becoming a man. Not everyone is Nadal and has guns when they are 17. Look at James Blake- he took several years out of college before he produced results. Amer Delic could have been there a few years back when he had Paradon at the RCA. Look at Scott Oudsema who took a set off of Roddick last summer. There are so many good players out there who are just trying to find the right formula of money, environment, tournament schedule, support group, coach, etc before they get the system down. In B Becker's case, he nailed it. I saw him at a Futures in Nov 2005 and lost early only to have him beating Agassi 9 months later in front of the entire world. These guys lingering around 200-400 are so close, its that last step of the journey. I guarantee Federer gets more scared to play some unknown kid outside the top 200 who is going to play "lights out" tennis against him. The bottom line is tennis is not an Excel spreadsheet- everyone is different. Give Donald Young a few more years before we start hating, he is a fun one to watch because he doesn't just bang, he uses the entire court.

edberg505
05-09-2007, 09:16 AM
Unless he breaks into the top 50 at some point, he is a journeyman. College rankings are meaningless here.

Wow, you just completely missed the point of my post. Okie.

isuk@tennis
05-09-2007, 09:37 AM
I saw him at a Futures in Nov 2005 and lost early only to have him beating Agassi 9 months later in front of the entire world.

you give him too much credit for beating agassi. agassi was practically handicapped with that back of his

Jonas
05-09-2007, 11:45 AM

Honestly, have you ever seen him play in person?
I wouldn't let this upset me so much if I was you. It's really no big deal at all.
I hope the guy makes it, but I tend to wish the best for everyone. Doesn't have anything to do with age or color.

anchorsteamer
05-09-2007, 01:16 PM

Top 50? That's pretty rough criteria...

whistleway
05-09-2007, 01:16 PM

You had to go to cornell to learn that?

Classifying players as either Top 50 or journey man is a bit absurd, especially coming from you. I typically agree with a lot of your posts, but not this one.

Steve Dykstra
05-09-2007, 01:55 PM
Wow, you just completely missed the point of my post. Okie.

from before:
I was just pointing out that he isn't exactly a journeyman.

It seems that this above sentence was summing up your post, which I rreplied to, and thus would be the main point of that post (if this is not your main point, then please try to explain what it is more clearly). I did not miss this point, I simply do not agree with it.

edmondsm
05-09-2007, 02:03 PM
Donald Young could be a growth spurt away from top 50 tennis...which I don't think is a vague plateau. Guys who can crack the top 50 in their teens are serious players with real talent and with some experience the can blow up suddenly.

So if DY adds some pop to that lefty serve and forehand he could be winning on the tour in no time.

Steve Dykstra
05-09-2007, 02:05 PM
You had to go to cornell to learn that?

Classifying players as either Top 50 or journey man is a bit absurd, especially coming from you. I typically agree with a lot of your posts, but not this one.

Ok, well where ever you draw the line is somewhat arbitrary. You could replace top 50 with top 100 if you like, maybe top 50 is a bit too high. I would say that if someone is a regular in the top 100, they are not a journeyman, but if they are a regular in the top 100, there is probably a good chance they have made it in the top 50 at one point or another. I stand by my point that having a high college ranking does not remove the label of journeyman from a touring pro who is ranked around 200 at age 24.

Anyway, this whole definitition of journeyman is a little vague, so there isn't really any use arguing over it anymore. These are just my opinions on the definition. And no, Cornell did not teach me about the definition of a journeyman as it relates to tennis players.

edberg505
05-09-2007, 02:16 PM
from before:

It seems that this above sentence was summing up your post, which I rreplied to, and thus would be the main point of that post (if this is not your main point, then please try to explain what it is more clearly). I did not miss this point, I simply do not agree with it.

So by your rational, Donald Young is a journeyman? That's tantamount to calling James Blake a journeyman in 2002. Is that a fair assesment? I mean how can one be a journeyman if one has just begun his journey?

Steve Dykstra
05-09-2007, 05:18 PM
So by your rational, Donald Young is a journeyman? That's tantamount to calling James Blake a journeyman in 2002. Is that a fair assesment? I mean how can one be a journeyman if one has just begun his journey?

I wouldn't say Donald Young is a journeyman yet. If he hasn't cracked the top 100 by age 24 though, then I would definitely say he is one. I don't really know if I would have called Blake a journeyman back in 2002, I don't really remember what I thought of him at the time, or if I had even heard of him. However, his ranking in 2002 was much better than Young's current ranking, so I'm not really sure what point you are trying to make with this comparison.

So to sum up my thoughts, I would not call Young a journeyman at this point, I don't remember what I thought of Blake in 2002, and I consider Warburg to be a journeyman. Perhaps the lines are not so clear, but I do not think Warburg is close enough to that line, at least for me, to not consider him a journeyman despite his unique path in the game.

ndtennis
05-09-2007, 05:36 PM
I saw Donald young play Djokovic at this past US open. He had controlled the 1st set winning and then he lost focus. I think he is heading towards a good future

jamus30
05-09-2007, 05:45 PM
I hope he does well in the next few years. I think he should work on gaining a couple pounds each month. He really needs the weight, especially considering how grueling the men's tour is now. I hope his height doesn't hurt him either. But Marcelo Rios had some nice weight for a 5' 9'' guy; and the weight he did have wasn't defined muscle. Just having the stock helps. I would love to see him play. Good lefties are fun to watch.

Phil
05-09-2007, 07:18 PM
Honestly, have you ever seen him play in person?
I wouldn't let this upset me so much if I was you. It's really no big deal at all.
I hope the guy makes it, but I tend to wish the best for everyone. Doesn't have anything to do with age or color.

No, only on TV and YouTube. Which, I know, isn't the same as live, but my impression is that he's a solid player with no major offensive weapons. He's no Marcello Rios. Then again, who is?

I wish the best for him too-and any other American up-and-comer, because I want to see US tennis thrive. I hope he becomes a Top 10 player. But, inflated, orchestrated hype isn't gonna get him to your vaunted top 30.

I'm sure there's something to do with age and color-and I guess, upon recollection, he IS unique. How many black 17-year old male tennis players are ranked ahead of him in his respective category? But...it's a shame that those are the criteria some people use to hype him. C'mon...tell me I'm wrong...really.

Though they'd never admit it, I sincerely doubt Nike would have signed a slightly older, suburban white kid to the contract (or any contract) that they gave DY. Fine...Nike is desperate to rescusitate its tennis program and break into another demographic-I can understand that marketing approach (though I don't particularly appreciate it).

Rob_C
05-09-2007, 08:28 PM
No, only on TV and YouTube. Which, I know, isn't the same as live, but my impression is that he's a solid player with no major offensive weapons. He's no Marcello Rios. Then again, who is?

I wish the best for him too-and any other American up-and-comer, because I want to see US tennis thrive. I hope he becomes a Top 10 player. But, inflated, orchestrated hype isn't gonna get him to your vaunted top 30.

I'm sure there's something to do with age and color-and I guess, upon recollection, he IS unique. How many black 17-year old male tennis players are ranked ahead of him in his respective category? But...it's a shame that those are the criteria some people use to hype him. C'mon...tell me I'm wrong...really.

Though they'd never admit it, I sincerely doubt Nike would have signed a slightly older, suburban white kid to the contract (or any contract) that they gave DY. Fine...Nike is desperate to rescusitate its tennis program and break into another demographic-I can understand that marketing approach (though I don't particularly appreciate it).

What exactly are the terms of his contract with Nike, or with Head?? Do you know?? Guys like Polansky and Bester looks like they're signed with Nike as well, plus that Tomic kid from Aus looks like he's signed with Head. They're not black.

Phil
05-09-2007, 08:36 PM
What exactly are the terms of his contract with Nike, or with Head?? Do you know?? Guys like Polansky and Bester looks like they're signed with Nike as well, plus that Tomic kid from Aus looks like he's signed with Head. They're not black.

I don't remember the exact terms. I'll go out on a limb here, though, and say that I'm guessing DY's contract is better than those two guys. Nike hasn't STOPPED giving contracts to other young players, as far as I know.