PDA

View Full Version : simple backhand question

trav*17
05-08-2007, 03:38 PM
hey, everyone, i know u might have been asked this question before, i searched for what i was looking for with no results on the boards, so i thought what's the harm in asking. Just wondering if you guys and gals has some tips on how to hit a high two hander. thanks a bunch:D

Bagumbawalla
05-08-2007, 04:24 PM
Hitting 2 handed is good in many ways. The 1 downside is that it can be limiting. Sometimes you just have to let go with one hand. Obviously, the time to get used to hitting one-handed is not right in the middle of an impotant match- so it is somethiing you will need to practice.

Look back a few days. There are several strands on hitting the high ball with 1 hand. If you cannot hit on the rise or move back and catch the ball on the way down, then you know what you have to do (just like you don't hit overheads with 2 hands-- same idea).

Good luck,

B

trav*17
05-08-2007, 05:14 PM
thanks for the advice. my hitting partner is a lefty, and he has big loopy spin, so normally if there is time i'll run around it and take my forehand high which i like. If I din't have time to run around it, i try to slice with one hand and keep it low, but it has a tendancy to sit up.

FEDEX1
05-08-2007, 05:37 PM
if your just hitting around with your friend or having practice matches you should just try to get your backhand better and not run around it.

sapient007
05-08-2007, 05:54 PM
i think this issue plagues many 2HBH-ers. i've given up and resorted to a slice if i can't get to position for a good 2HBH shot.

Anton
05-08-2007, 06:18 PM
Don't take high two handers - either work really hard and actually develop one handed backhand for these situations OR slice the crap out of it.

If you must, absolutely must do it with two hands use the flat face windshield wiper motion.

fearless1
05-08-2007, 06:49 PM
Depends on what type of shot you want to hit. For example...

If the shot is high and deep enough to pin you near the back fence, step back, let it drop to waist height, then either drive it flat or slice it deep to your opponent's court.

If the shot is going to be high, short, and slow, don't let the ball get to shoulder height or higher. Instead, step into the shot and hit it on the rise. Since this is an aggressive shot, you might as well aim for one of the corner's of your opponent's court too.

Otherwise, for typical shoulder height 2hb, make sure your backswing has the racquet head up at ball level then simply drive the racquet forward into the shot with good body weight transfer.

Anton
05-08-2007, 08:15 PM
thanks for the advice. my hitting partner is a lefty, and he has big loopy spin, so normally if there is time i'll run around it and take my forehand high which i like. If I din't have time to run around it, i try to slice with one hand and keep it low, but it has a tendancy to sit up.

Work on using more of your elbow in that slice, have your arm completely bent in and elbow pointing down during preparation for the swing, then really concentrate on your tricep compression and transferring weight to the front foot (right foot for left-to-right swing) - cut almost straight down.